Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
because your consciousness is still gonna be trapped in your meat-body. so if i am still going to end when i die whats the point of digital immortality anyways?

I guess people who knew your meatbody self can experience your digital copy somehow but it wont be you really, how could it be you?

the only way technology can bring true immortality is through replacing failing body parts until you are a robot with a human brain inside but your brain is still organic so even that part would eventually fail.

what i'm saying is there is no hope. no future and no hope.

happy tuesday everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
we are all going to die so get right with the Lord while you still can

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Days of Thunder and Top Gun are the exact same loving movie

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
its probably comforting and makes death easier knowing that in a very real way you will not be dead. yes, you, personally speaking will be dead but its like dying knowing you "made a mark" but the reality of that is you simply arent going to accomplish that. however, simply still being alive somewhere, is probably the ultimate "mark" you can ever hope to have

hth

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are you ready for that great atomic power
Will you rise and meet your Savior in the end
Will you shout or will you cry when the fire rains from on high
Are you ready for that great atomic power

1gnoirents posted:

its probably comforting and makes death easier knowing that in a very real way you will not be dead. yes, you, personally speaking will be dead but its like dying knowing you "made a mark" but the reality of that is you simply arent going to accomplish that. however, simply still being alive somewhere, is probably the ultimate "mark" you can ever hope to have

hth

you'll be dead lol

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
One day I woke up and found out I'm actually the only person left on earth

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I am making my digital mark by anonymously posting badly in a dead gay comedy forum. this shall be my legacy?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Nooner posted:

we are all going to die so get right with the Lord while you still can

jesus christ (the real one, not forums user jesus christ) owes me $20

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

It may be a part of how young i am relatively speaking but i have absolutely no interest in leaving any legacy behind when i die.
The only thing i care about my death is that it isnt too drawn out or painful and that my life up til then is relatively comfortable, after that, burn everything i ever made, delete everything i ever posted and reduce my corpse to cinder.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my only wish is that i take as many bourgie pigs with me as i can

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I also want to be a WoW NPC. like that creepy kid who died from cancer but he gives you a quest to find a dog or whatever.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

my own research appears to support this. not only are you still "trapped" in your own mortal body, but you're sitting in darkness at the bottom of the ocean

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

JiveHonky posted:

I am making my digital mark by anonymously posting badly in a dead gay comedy forum. this shall be my legacy?

JiveHonky III, your grandfather wanted you to have this. *blows dust off a leatherbound tome labelled "im gay" in gold foil*

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

JiveHonky III, your grandfather wanted you to have this. *blows dust off a leatherbound tome labelled "im gay" in gold foil*

:lol:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
it could be like a perfected version of that bruce willis movie, you physically feel the click over or something as and you can sleep and thats it or something

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

just contains goatse printed 500 times

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Dude, it's fat Tuesday, go eat something.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

What if you replace parts of your failing brain with either additional cells or by grafting electronic components to it that integrate with it and gradually take on an increasing share of your cognition and mental functions?

Is it Theseus' ship if it's now chromed and has rocket boosters?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LGD posted:

What if you replace parts of your failing brain with either additional cells or by grafting electronic components to it that integrate with it and gradually take on an increasing share of your cognition and mental functions?

Is it Theseus' ship if it's now chromed and has rocket boosters?

I've always kinda wondered this.

quote:

I think, and my thoughts cross the barrier into the synapses of the machine - just as the good doctor intended. But what I cannot shake, and what hints at things to come, is that thoughts cross back. In my dreams the sensibility of the machine invades the periphery of my consciousness. Dark. Rigid. Cold. Alien. Evolution is at work here, but just what is evolving remains to be seen.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Paging gary oldmans diary to this thread!!

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Eventually all energy in the universe will burn out and all that will be left is a cold, empty void. So pretty much anything we do to attain immortality will be futile.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

whoops i deleted that guy my bad

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I wonder if I can jack it when I am just a series of 1's and 0's

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Congrats on beating Soma, JiveHonkey.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i would be happy to live as long as one of those fancy tall elfs, like 800 years or so

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

JiveHonky posted:

i would be happy to live as long as one of those fancy tall elfs, like 800 years or so

or adam

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

haha lol wtf adam isnt real u dumass

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
what if you could have two bodies and while you're in one the other one is sleeping so that you can be awake 24 hours a day feeling great and never needing sleep

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

JiveHonky posted:

anything is possible thought Christ, friend

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

I wonder if I can jack it when I am just a series of 1's and 0's

you can jack your cyberdong onto siri

*siri tone rings*

"That was sppppplllllloooooooooogggggggeee, is that right?"

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Adam doesn't have a belly button

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you make Siri record you loving are you like cucking Siri or what?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
if you could have your dna spliced with a tortoise and gain 200 years more of life but you would gradually look more and more like a tortoise until at the end you were basically a hideous caricature of turtleman hybrid would u do it?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
better than death

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

JiveHonky posted:

if you could have your dna spliced with a tortoise and gain 200 years more of life but you would gradually look more and more like a tortoise until at the end you were basically a hideous caricature of turtleman hybrid would u do it?

Yes, have you read Yin?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Moridin920 posted:

if you make Siri record you loving are you like cucking Siri or what?

theoretically you could be fuckin siri while a siri subroutine watches and strokes its metadata

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Hardawn posted:

Yes, have you read Yin?

no what is yin

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

I heard that the cia invented Ash Wednesday and Lent to get more people to smoke crack when they were bored not eating chocolate or alcohol, that's why when you look in history textbooks you'll notice lent was only celebrated in inner city urban blocks for a couple years before white people thought it was cool and stole it with hip hop and wearing beads in ur hair

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

JiveHonky posted:

roger ebert did and look what happened to him, he should've asked to have his dna spliced with a lesbian's like dana carvey or the lead singer of the mountain goats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
they are singing happy bday to Cendy in the conference room. brb

• Locked thread