Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

will it make you install updates all the drat time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

JiveHonky posted:

because your consciousness is still gonna be trapped in your meat-body. so if i am still going to end when i die whats the point of digital immortality anyways?

I guess people who knew your meatbody self can experience your digital copy somehow but it wont be you really, how could it be you?

the only way technology can bring true immortality is through replacing failing body parts until you are a robot with a human brain inside but your brain is still organic so even that part would eventually fail.

what i'm saying is there is no hope. no future and no hope.

happy tuesday everyone!

SONA p much already handled this one. From your perception, you sit down, get your consciousness scanned/uploaded, then you get back up like nothing happened and continue the rest of your sad life. From the copy of your consciousness' perspective, you sit down, get scanned, and suddenly next thing you know you're wherever your consciousness got uploaded to. From both perspectives it's a seemless transition and you both feel like you, it's just now there's 2+ yous that diverge at the point(s) you made the copy(s).

The solution is then pretty obvious, design it so the machine that makes a digital you kills you at the end of the process. The copy is experiencing life exactly how you hypothetically would have if it were possible to directly put you in a computer without this philosophical issue, and the original you doesn't have to live with the bleak reality that they'll never get to experience digital heaven. Digital you won't be able to tell the difference and neither would any other digital people that knows digital you.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

google is going to data mine my soul for targeted advertising

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

1gnoirents posted:

maybe it is you who are mistaken ?

I never claimed to be you.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Tank: Morning, did you sleep? You will tonight, I guarantee it. I'm Tank, I'll be your operator.

Neo: You don't...you don't have any...

Tank: Holes? Nope. Me and my brother Dozer, we're both one hundred percent pure, old fashioned, home-grown human, born free right here in the real world. Genuine child of Zion.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

is there a way to include DRM? i don't want people torrenting me

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JiveHonky posted:

because your consciousness is still gonna be trapped in your meat-body. so if i am still going to end when i die whats the point of digital immortality anyways?

I guess people who knew your meatbody self can experience your digital copy somehow but it wont be you really, how could it be you?

the only way technology can bring true immortality is through replacing failing body parts until you are a robot with a human brain inside but your brain is still organic so even that part would eventually fail.

what i'm saying is there is no hope. no future and no hope.

happy tuesday everyone!

consciousness isn't "trapped," it's constantly re-created. like it's just a word for the weird poo poo that happens when you arrange meat in a certain way

the problem with making a computer copy of you isn't "how to preserve consciousness" because that's a non-sequitur. it's "given how much of 'thinking' is actually based on having a body, would computer-you actually be anything like meat-you?"

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i would like one meat body please

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Smash it Smash hit posted:

no prob but it'll be half soy

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
After I die, I want to wake up being about 19 years old coming off some acid yelling "Man! That was intense!"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

if you were bad, do they put you in a hell computer

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Smash it Smash hit posted:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

like a doom level or something

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

drat you been working out bb?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Here's some food for thought: At one point in time only one of the posters in this thread is going to be left alive, and they way I'm living it ain't gonna be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i've taken very good care of myself so i will probably outlive all of my friends. thats not depressing at all

• Locked thread