Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Why doesn't labour just elect Article 50 to be its party leader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Why doesn't labour just elect Article 50 to be its party leader?
The membership wouldn't go for it, I'm afraid.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He's going to step down for Abbott or McDonnell.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

floofyscorp posted:

Today on the BBC and the Spectator: should disabled people be 'allowed' to be paid less than minimum wage? This woman in Brighton thinks so, because her daughter doesn't understand the concept of money anyway:

https://twitter.com/Emmabarnett/status/837234398374346752

(That 'Improving Lives' government paper that wilfully misinterprets research to conclude that being unemployed is bad for your health because work literally just makes you healthy makes me really, really angry)

The most chilling part is how the commenters think that this is compassionate. It's like watching eldritch, otherworldly horrors try on human masks.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I take the point about going on and on about Labour but in the spirit of owning up when you get it wrong, it turns out McDonnell has in fact given a major speech today setting out a lot of interesting policies in some detail!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The most chilling part is how the commenters think that this is compassionate. It's like watching eldritch, otherworldly horrors try on human masks.

Compassionate conservatism. Or in this case compassionately conning autism havers.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pissflaps posted:

He's going to step down for Abbott or McDonnell.

I like Dianne Abbot but holy poo poo that'd be a bad idea

IRA sympathiser or angry black woman, you could not pick two worse candidates for an election

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
We wouldn't have this problem if New Labour hadn't stuffed the PLP with morons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone been keeping track of the metro mayor elections? They'll be happening on May 4, and they're a pretty big deal - each mayor is put in charge of several councils in a region, and will oversee that region on a general, strategic level. For example, the mayor for the west of England will oversee the running of the Bristol, South Gloucestershire, and Bath and North-East Somerset councils, co-ordinating education, transport, housing, and the economy. I actually met the West England Labour candidate, Lesley Mansell, last night, and was very impressed - she's smart, honest, and has an impressively diverse range of experience. Definitely would be an idea to pay attention to this one.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

floofyscorp posted:

Today on the BBC and the Spectator: should disabled people be 'allowed' to be paid less than minimum wage? This woman in Brighton thinks so, because her daughter doesn't understand the concept of money anyway:

(That 'Improving Lives' government paper that wilfully misinterprets research to conclude that being unemployed is bad for your health because work literally just makes you healthy makes me really, really angry)

can't they just round us up in camps if they want us dead so bad.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone been keeping track of the metro mayor elections? They'll be happening on May 4, and they're a pretty big deal - each mayor is put in charge of several councils in a region, and will oversee that region on a general, strategic level. For example, the mayor for the west of England will oversee the running of the Bristol, South Gloucestershire, and Bath and North-East Somerset councils, co-ordinating education, transport, housing, and the economy. I actually met the West England Labour candidate, Lesley Mansell, last night, and was very impressed - she's smart, honest, and has an impressively diverse range of experience. Definitely would be an idea to pay attention to this one.

Anyone but Stephen loving Williams.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

x10

I'm also glad that the red trouser fucker was ruled out as part of the agreement to have a metro mayor

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

They don't want you dead, they want you to suffer.

So much of the right wing moralist condition makes sense if you recognize this. They're against sex education so that unwanted pregnancies happen, against abortion so that they turn into unwanted births, and against benefits so that they become children living in poverty.

About the only thing that they are for is prohibition, punishment, and constrained 'traditional' roles. And misery, of course.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Oh aye? What's so bad about him? Other than being a coalition minister, obviously

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

They don't want you dead, they want you to suffer.

So much of the right wing moralist condition makes sense if you recognize this. They're against sex education so that unwanted pregnancies happen, against abortion so that they turn into unwanted births, and against benefits so that they become children living in poverty.

About the only thing that they are for is prohibition, punishment, and constrained 'traditional' roles. And misery, of course.

yeah it's ok though because I'm being very encouraged to get a job thanks to the lovely people at the goverment doing everything in thier power to make sure I can't get money.

i'm sure I just need to work harder obviously.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Unemployables Sent On Permanent Butlins Holiday Paid For By YOUR Taxes

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There shouldn't be a metro mayor for Manchester or Birmingham. The government should respect the will of the people who rejected a mayor less than five years ago. :colbert:

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

big scary monsters posted:

Unemployables Sent On Permanent Butlins Holiday Paid For By YOUR Taxes

butlins is just a voluntary concentration camp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

yeah it's ok though because I'm being very encouraged to get a job thanks to the lovely people at the goverment doing everything in thier power to make sure I can't get money.

i'm sure I just need to work harder obviously.

have you considered just not being disabled? its what they expect of you

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh aye? What's so bad about him? Other than being a coalition minister, obviously

"Being a coalition minister" is pretty much all of it. gently caress that guy.

Unless it seems like the LDs are in danger of getting it, I'll probably vote for Darren Hall. He's a bit up himself but generally sound.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Looke posted:

x10

I'm also glad that the red trouser fucker was ruled out as part of the agreement to have a metro mayor

What's wrong with red trousers?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

"Being a coalition minister" is pretty much all of it. gently caress that guy.

Unless it seems like the LDs are in danger of getting it, I'll probably vote for Darren Hall. He's a bit up himself but generally sound.

Don't forget that the election uses the supplementary vote system, so you can vote for first and second preferences. I do think Mansell would be a solid fallback even if you prefer the Greens.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

hakimashou posted:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/07/31/its-official-red-trousers-fashion-faux-pas/

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Darth Walrus posted:

Don't forget that the election uses the supplementary vote system, so you can vote for first and second preferences. I do think Mansell would be a solid fallback even if you prefer the Greens.

I can't forget something I never knew :v: seriously, this election is so poorly publicised.

Will definitely go Green 1 Labour 2 if no other candidates pop up

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ok

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

yeah i agree, if i weren't a labour member i'd have no idea when the election was

hakimashou posted:

beside being gaudy as gently caress, the owner of this specific pair was a massive cuntrag

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

And what's wrong with being a red gay idiot?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

http://lookatmyfuckingredtrousers.blogspot.co.uk/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So that's 8 positive words: red, gay, bright, brave, bold, cool, wow, and nice; 4 neutral words: odd, none, oh, and ok; and 8 negative words: idiot, yuk, twat, prat, clown, no, loud, and golf.

Seems fairly evenly balanced.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
money is unhappy:

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/837275205663928321

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Spangly A posted:

I like Dianne Abbot but holy poo poo that'd be a bad idea

IRA sympathiser or angry black woman, you could not pick two worse candidates for an election

That she's seen as 'angry black women' isn't the problem. Well it is for some but I think the main issue is she seems like a terrible speaker. The few times I've seen her in a debate she gets verbally dominated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Red gay idiot bright brave yuk odd none twat prat clown no oh bold cool ok loud wow golf nice.

I wish I had an anagram solver that worked for strings that long.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Jose posted:

have you considered just not being disabled? its what they expect of you

never considered trying this.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Guavanaut posted:

So that's 8 positive words: red, gay, bright, brave, bold, cool, wow, and nice; 4 neutral words: odd, none, oh, and ok; and 8 negative words: idiot, yuk, twat, prat, clown, no, loud, and golf.

Seems fairly evenly balanced.

how is red a positive word and odd a neutral one

i don't think bright means clever in this context

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Regarde Aduck posted:

That she's seen as 'angry black women' isn't the problem. Well it is for some but I think the main issue is she seems like a terrible speaker. The few times I've seen her in a debate she gets verbally dominated.

Even when I agree with what she's saying, the way she puts her points across in interviews or in debates makes my toes curl. So much eye rolling and finger wagging. She is the Ann Widdecombe of the left.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

so what's the punishment when everyone realises UKIP are cheating at elections?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

how is red a positive word
:ussr:

quote:

i don't think bright means clever in this context
No, but it does mean cheerful or colorful or vivid. Would you prefer some bright flowers in a pleasing vase or some dull ones in a var of piss.

(I also don't think they're using gay in a positive manner in this context, but I don't care.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/ryxnf/status/837076434761867269

brb cutting up my membership card

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

floofyscorp posted:

Woman from Brighton is a oval office, people with ld are still people

• Locked thread