Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Did her hair fall out too?

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/28/homeless-charity-workhouse-workers-rights-exploitation

I was vulnerable and wanted a home. What I got was a workhouse posted:

And then I befriended a resident of a residential charity for the homeless. He was far more helpful than the housing advisers, and managed to organise a place for me at the charity.

When I entered its walls, which were inside a converted factory, the place immediately struck me as having similarities with a Victorian workhouse. I was told by the “community leader” that I would receive basic subsistence: a room, food, clothing and a modest weekly allowance, in exchange for 40 hours’ labour.

The word “workhouse” conjures up images of Oliver Twist, and of bleak Victorian institutions populated by bedraggled paupers forced into backbreaking labour in exchange for meagre slops of porridge. At the charity home we were not expected to pick oakum or break boulders, but the work was hard and the returns were meagre.

Part of my job involved delivering furniture. I spent day after day lifting heavy items such as wardrobes and three-piece suites, sometimes up and down several flights of stairs. The work is described as voluntary by the charity, but in reality neither I nor any of my fellow inmates had anywhere else to go, and so had little choice but to do it.

The charity describes itself as a “working community”. But as far as I was concerned this was a workhouse in all but name: a civil prison, and a punishment for poverty. How do such charities manage to require their residents to work up to 40 hours a week without a wage, paying them only a small allowance for food and accommodation?
so this is a thing

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 31, 2017

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

404 on the article there.

On March 31, 1889, the Eiffel Tower is dedicated in Paris in a ceremony presided over by Gustave Eiffel, the tower’s designer, and attended by French Prime Minister Pierre Tirard, a handful of other dignitaries, and 200 construction workers.

In 1889, to honor of the centenary of the French Revolution, the French government planned an international exposition and announced a design competition for a monument to be built on the Champ-de-Mars in central Paris.

Vive la révolution, etc.

Should work now
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/28/homeless-charity-workhouse-workers-rights-exploitation

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

I think that charity should pay the minimum wage but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater here. The guy says it helped people off the streets and housed and fed them for nothing while they gained valuable experience and esprit de corps. What would be left over anyway if they were paid 200 quid a week and had to rent accommodation and buy food?

Haha what a oval office you are

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Maybe if you want a genuinely fair and compassionate society our parliamentary democracy just isn't the answer. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Polling data couldn't accurately predict Brexit or the outcome of the last general election. I doubt theres sufficient evidence that the PLP undermining Corbyn has had no effect on Corbyn or the Labour parties approval ratings unless you go looking with a hefty dose of confirmation bias.
Done your way vulnerable people would lose the only party willing to improve their lives in a tide of striver v skiver "business friendly" anti-immigrant neoliberal shite.

But at least they'd be wearing red ties instead of blue while they were selling off the social safety net. That's the important thing my dude; you're missing the big picture here.

• Locked thread