Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
can anyone confirm the whereabouts of one-punch hookem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I voted pissflaps but would honestly be ok with the beast as leader of the opposition and, hell, government.

And when he wins we can just drop McDonnel there.

e; Romulus raped the sabines and declared victory for Rome today. Personally I'm skeptical of our ability to accurately date events before rome, but there we go.

Also the Bank was nationalised and Stalin died. Sad!

Brave Hero Bobby Sands begins starving himself all the way to Westminster, more importantly.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 1, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Paxman posted:

Why don't people want to vote Labour when choosing an MP? Must be the right wing media

you saying it sarcastically doesn't make your point true

like this

you're not a dumbass

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

40% of voters are either malicious or misinformed enough to burn everything to the ground (I'm being generous and not counting UKIP) and it's definitely nothing to do with the sole mechanism in place to inform the electorate on what happens in their country

e; that is to say, either the media have nothing to do with voter intention, which is bad, being that is supposedly part of its job;
or the media are right wing, which is bad, because that makes them scum

vote lib dem or something idgaf, tories are bad people who do bad things to the world and should under no circumstance be tolerated

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 1, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I'm really glad that since this is mostly jeremy corbyn's fault there are no other countries in the world currently struggling with terrible applications of democracy

also when corbyn resigns and labour still lose it'll be his fault because he's actually a wizard

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

Maybe Labour needs a leader who will say "fine, if Britain doesn't want immigrants we won't have immigrants. Let's save the NHS and fix our housing problems and make Britain a better place to live."

Can you identify yourself ethno-nationally so I know who I want to genocide, thanks

e; also I know you're the arriviste of our genocide apologists but I want to let you know for the sake of informed discussion that's literally what Labour did in 2015 and peter mandelson owes me a hat eating video

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Not surprising. finding it increasingly hard to defend labour when people say they've switched to the Lib dems, because the current policy on europe is so shite

yeah I think it's fair to say his supporters gave him a shot at rallying the leave base and have gone "the gently caress are you doing" at the STRONK MESSAGE he's sending

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I haven't heard them mention in pmqs the fact that the tories have created so much debt before today. This is what Corbyn needs to loving hammer every single chance be gets. loving shout it out all the time, make some graphs and get that out there.

this is exactly why I'd now support Skinner

e; content/chance to harass MPs

My lovely Mind newsletter posted:

For many of us, our illness can be so debilitating that we can’t leave the house. In December, the courts recognised this. They ruled that people who find it difficult to get out and about because of psychological distress should be able to receive the highest rate of PIP. Having this extra support to avoid isolation is not an optional extra, or a nice to have – it’s essential. But now the Government is trying to rush through legislation to stop the court’s judgement from coming into effect. For us, this move flies in the face of their commitment to tackle the ‘burning injustice’ of mental health.

We’ll be pulling out all the stops between now and March 16th. We’re talking to MPs and members of the House of Lords, urging them to vote to stop these changes from happening. And we’re raising the issue in the media so we can get the message out that mental health matters every bit as much as physical health.

With your help, there’s a real chance we can stop this damaging and misguided legislation from happening.

Mental health matters, says PM who hires people who thinks it's about feeling a bit nervous and taking pills and SCROUNGING

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 1, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

Ed milliband looked like a cartoon character though and the English were spooked by the Scots.

If at first you don't succeed...

Blair lost 3 million votes. Milliband lost an election. Owen Smith* ran a leadership campaign and isn't even recognised by 40% of voters.
*I genuinely forgot who Owen Smith was and I actually pay attention

Didn't answer my question either homeslice

Pantsuit posted:

I agree, Labour is still damaged by the actions of Blair and Brown.

Don't you read hak's posts? the murder and rape of millions are totally fine

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 1, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

Owen smith looked like a dipshit.

The average British working man sees these tories and thinks "thems some nasty fuckers them" and believes when they say 'no more immigrants' that they mean it.

you are a dipshit.

Answer please

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

HJB posted:

This allows the front pages to put a picture of Corbyn next to a broken record with the headline SPOT THE DIFFERENCE.

I'm not really sure they could play that card well, though. If Corbyn manages to hit a public sore spot, and begins hammering it, the openly tory papers would have to ignore the argument. The media control the narrative and influence what people think about it, especially if it's even slightly technical. But if he begin scoring points daily on the NHS, nobody reading the sun will go "haha what a wanker" when their nan/mum/da dies of MRSA in a waiting room.

For anyone interested he's still talking about disability cuts using the BIG NUMBER tactic today, but that'll be over in two weeks. Trying to address everyone's concerns at once is a real problem given the traditional tory approach to loving everything they ever go near.

spiderbot posted:

Will brexit affect the likelihood of another Lib Dem- Tory coalition? I can't see people who switched from Labour to Lib Dem over brexit being particularly happy about it.

Pushing Farron on this would be hilarious given he's totally open to the idea

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

The Lib Dems throwing away everything they stand for and alienating their voter base? No way would they do that.

This is bad, tho; if voters are transitioning from Labour to LD because they aren't being represented on Brexit, and then the Lib Dems do what they always do, are they going to transition back? or are they going to drop off the electoral register.

I'd be really interested if anyone has any numbers on the transition from LD 2010 - DNV 2015

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

You can work xenophobia to your advantage. Blame the tories' friends with their dirty Russian money for the price of housing. Remember, it's a privilege for a foreigner to own property in Great Britaine, make them pay some humongous tax for it.

Did that, it failed. My god, what a waste of internet you are. Any hot takes about Armenia?

Attacking the tories for being dodgy is a bit pointless. Tory voters are dodgy. They'd do it themselves.

hakimashou posted:

No we definitely are. You guys voted for brexit, we voted for Hillary. poo poo's hosed up, but the American people were wise.

Also lol at the Phillipenes vs The British Empire.

lol you live in the worst developed country on the planet

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

Was it couched in TYOOL2017 Britain 'auslander raus' rhetoric though?

J. Corbz should be out there railing against May selling britain's precious land to her foreign friends.

Even if it doesn't work it's better than whatever the gently caress corbyn does every day.

yeah it's definitely better that he fails whilst marching everyone towards nationalism than fails while not you're right and it doesn't lead to major problems and never has.

You still haven't answered. White nationalists get shooty when their precious feelings get hurt, that's why they should never be tolerated. I'd prefer they were quarantined but saying "No, you're bad people, and should gently caress off" is always the appropriate response.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

Answered what?

Can you define yourself ethno-nationally so we have a suggestion who we should kick out?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

Peers voting on EU citizen rights amendment. Some demonstration that I'm not a bargaining chip would be nice, IMO

In the best spirit, you're a crap bargaining chip. Threatening to kick out masses of highly qualified immigrants and take back all the pensioners is a pretty loving sweet deal. For Spain.

e;"lets trade doctors for millions of sickly unemployed people who will moan constantly and probably already vote tory but won't ever again"

There are no words to describe how much I would like to be in the room at that moment

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

namesake posted:

I'm pretty sure all the leaked stuff about the Queen says she wanted to leave.

was there ever anything more substantial than known bullshit artist Kuessenberg saying she definitely knew a guy who knew a guy?

The fact she qualified it so hard on threat of legal action smelt like crap.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

CptAwesome posted:

Whats considered a normal wait to see a GP? I rang earlier today to make an appointment at my surgery and I've been told the next appointment is the 29th - literally 4 weeks away. Is it me or is this a bit long?

that's insane

I usually spend a few days getting up at 8am and ringing the line until its open for a morning consult, but I live in a ridiculously small cachement area

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

why are all the major NI parties insane?

you have to declare if you're nationalist/unionist/indepedent and that matters waaaaay more than it should. So you've got the IRA party, the two/three/four UVF parties at any given moment, and the lib dems.

JFairfax posted:

excuse me but I think you'll find that the Cannabis is Safer than Alcohol party have a perfectly sane platform:

Cannabis is Safer than Alcohol don't exist anymore. It's a totally seperate party, called Citizens Independent Social Thought Alliance, and definitely not a rebrand honest

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

Isn't this something that Philip Davies said about five years ago?

Good memory, I'd have not found the quote otherwise.

Seriously how has nobody shot this guy yet, and why is he an MP posted:

Philip Davies told the Commons: "If an employer is looking at two candidates, one who has got disabilities and one who hasn't, and they have got to pay them both the same rate, I invite you to guess which one the employer is more likely to take on.

"Given that some of those people with a learning disability clearly, by definition, cannot be as productive in their work as somebody who has not got a disability of that nature, then it was inevitable that, given the employer was going to have to pay them both the same, they were going to take on the person who was going to be more productive, less of a risk.

"My view is that for some people the national minimum wage may be more of a hindrance than a help.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

"When discrimination exists we should do everything we can to enforce and normalise it, rather than ever challenge it"

If learning disabilities make you worth less to society then how on earth can philip davies justify getting paid for anything, ever?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

In a way NI politics is prescient of our own problems. I'm sure both the papers and public would love to see politicians list themselves as Brexit, Traitor, Other

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

KKK is there even a slight chance we're not going to see DUP/SF as the big two? I saw the vote pref polls and they aren't comforting

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

Nah they will be biggest parties barring a huge shift which is why well probably get direct rule in a month

great, looking forward to loads of sabre rattling, just fantastic

jBrereton posted:

It's alright lads we'll make a new and better GFA.

SF want a new agreement and home rule means they can rally the base. If they weren't also dirty af they'd probably just push for a proper enquiry and have half the DUP on embezzlement charges but hey ho.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Paxman posted:

Does good old-fashioned cannabis resin exist any more? I thought it was something from my youth long since vanished, like decent new Stone Roses music

yeah, but it doesn't travel to England much. Big old stinky plants are preferred over here.

This is totally circumventable with the dark net, it's still the big thing in coastal spain.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

He's going to step down for Abbott or McDonnell.

I like Dianne Abbot but holy poo poo that'd be a bad idea

IRA sympathiser or angry black woman, you could not pick two worse candidates for an election

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

so what's the punishment when everyone realises UKIP are cheating at elections?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Bad news, educated friends. According to the Adam Smith Institute, universities are worryingly lacking ideological heterogeneity, as too many lecturers are left-wing. This means they agree on everything and to prevent dangerous groupthink universities need to introduce ideological hiring policies to ensure more right-wing views are heard on campuses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/03/02/eight-ten-british-university-lecturers-left-wing-survey-finds/

the right wing are objectively wrong about everything they believe, of course we don't want them in loving universiites. They ruin the whole point of the endevour.

Oberleutnant posted:

Hitler on 30th April 1945 is my kind of right winger, and a positive role model for his followers.

my entirely-too-liberal ex was really upset at all the pensioner protestors chanting "follow your leader" during the margate rally

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Norther Ireland, I think. People were talking about it earlier.

I just want to say big big thanks to whoever called the election forced by Cash for Ash to be the day after Ash Wednesday

If I was a political cartoonist I'd think it was christmas

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I quite liked the implication that, against all evidence, permanently expelling all right wing views from culture is bad

to those in the know, is this one of those elections where I can stay up drinking til 6am or should I just not bother

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

so how long until the troubles start up again and the IRA try to blow up thatchers corpse?

no

OwlFancier posted:

My bus driver looks a lot like Gerry Adams and it's weird.

I'm really proud of my latest passport photo looking like a younger, more stoned gerry adams. It's the most normal I've ever looked in one.

J_RBG posted:

Just FYI the big irony of the Adam Smith Institute's study is that it is nowhere near rigorous enough to pass muster in the average university. Also its proposed methods for dealing with it are just illegal.

I doubt they've ever read any Smith, and everyone I've ever met who quoted Smith badly mangled the attempt to explain things he was flatly against (like modern libertarianism)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I mean they might still be knobheads even if they're Jewish, they might just like voting for tories.

in the midst of all of the discussion about the improper conflation of anti-zionism and anti-semitism, has everyone forgotten that your average jewish person is probably not any more well informed than anyone else, and probably thus not really keen on the distinction?

"Israel bad" is controversial among the non-Jewish public. Do we expect it to sit well with Jewish people just because they're Jewish?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

probably right and nothing inflammatory enough for Sturgeon to use.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Everything she says is always some variation of "Put up and shut up". She never compromises over everything and then follows up with speeches of "coming together" and "national spirit". She takes and never gives and then demands everyone be happy about it. She is such a loving piece of poo poo. Shocking I know.

Treat me like the pleb that I am. I understand that. I have no power, she does. But don't act like I should like it. Like it's my duty to be happy that Brexit means Brexit and no, we definitely can't amend it even a little bit because of reasons. Stop the lovely circus.

this is what happens with unelected leaders, they don't compromise because they've never had to

it's also why communism good

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hahahaha they actually try to shout down a little girl

guillotine

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Octolady posted:

Sinn Fein seem to have done a pretty good job mobilising younger voters this time round, either that or people are just sending Foster a protest vote. Also, y'know, memes.

Gerry Adams continued ability to appeal to young people amazes me

or rather, the fact that he's the only politician west of the channel who can do this, amazes me

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Gerry Adams & His Radical Republican Agenda are one of the less well-known bands of the new wave era, but their 1984 performance in Brighton is today remembered for having been a real blast.

I was actually really disappointed by the finale

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Octolady posted:

He's a jovial trickster with a chequered past, people love that poo poo.

oh that gerry, kneecapping folk, what a prankster, what a lad

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Foxtrot_13 posted:

It's because young people have no idea what he got up to during the troubles and just see an affable old man. Same thing with people who think Guy Fawkes was a cool dude because he wanted to blow up politicians.

All it would take is a South African style truth and reconciliation commission and his political career would be berried with his admission of what he did.

In nationalist parts of Ireland, you think that Gerry Adams killing brits would play badly?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

Failing to kneecap his brother on the otherhand

Distant cousin got kneecapped, the IRA were incredibly apologetic when they realised it was the wrong house. Didn't take back my uncle's heart attack and death, tho.

I'm more puzzled by Foxtrot not realising that he's on the wrong side of his own metaphor.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

Sassafras would be good if grown industrially

I would take Brave New World over our current reality so yeah I'm on board

XMNN posted:

the uk should grow more of its own food but unless we start growing opium poppies i dont think its going to make a significant impact on the economy tbh

you could spin this as the poppy economy and every tory fucker would love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

It's no way to live. Drug addiction seriously compromises your free will and makes you less human. A cure for drug addiction would be one of the most beneficial of all medical discoveries.

As usual you're an uninformed twat.

The conditions of drug addiction dehumanise you. Certain drugs will dehumanise you. Taking heroin every day is a perfectly sustainable method of life, as literally everywhere that treats it with more heroin demonstrates. Their recoveries are quicker, their recidivism is lower.

You don't treat someone with a coping mechanism by removing their coping mechanism and shouting "get over it". You treat it by establishing what the cause of this need is, and remove the coping mechanism only when that cause is dealt with.

• Locked thread