Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hey, nobody said they were good principles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Perhaps he had already welcomed him and couldn't be bothered to do it again on what is essentially a 30-minute lunch-time TV programme?

Who knows - perhaps he thinks Snell is a oval office?

Snell certainly got some sort of personal welcome.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/836222877967994880

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Jeremy Corbyn, uhh, actually does something kinda good? Still shying away from supporting the amendment in Lords, but at least he does try and put the point across and more importantly at least talks about supra-national cooperation.

I mean really he's just echoing the government's line on the topic, but you can't have everything.

?

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/837013077455429632

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

You know, that's exactly the same line of reasoning that some employers use to justify not hiring women too - we're a liability, because 'as soon as you hire one she'll only go and get pregnant and then you have to find maternity cover and when she comes back she'll be distracted thinking about her child all the time and she won't work as hard and that's why we don't hire women, it's not sexist really it's just the way of the world'.

You're implying that Philip Davies would see a problem with this comparison.

He's a literal MRA.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone been keeping track of the metro mayor elections? They'll be happening on May 4, and they're a pretty big deal - each mayor is put in charge of several councils in a region, and will oversee that region on a general, strategic level. For example, the mayor for the west of England will oversee the running of the Bristol, South Gloucestershire, and Bath and North-East Somerset councils, co-ordinating education, transport, housing, and the economy. I actually met the West England Labour candidate, Lesley Mansell, last night, and was very impressed - she's smart, honest, and has an impressively diverse range of experience. Definitely would be an idea to pay attention to this one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Anyone but Stephen loving Williams.

Oh aye? What's so bad about him? Other than being a coalition minister, obviously

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

"Being a coalition minister" is pretty much all of it. gently caress that guy.

Unless it seems like the LDs are in danger of getting it, I'll probably vote for Darren Hall. He's a bit up himself but generally sound.

Don't forget that the election uses the supplementary vote system, so you can vote for first and second preferences. I do think Mansell would be a solid fallback even if you prefer the Greens.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

XMNN posted:

being able to read is pretty important in the 21st century imho

The current President of the United States might disagree.

If, y'know, he was able to read that comment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

horse is great for you, only meat that provides vitamin c. Won Napoleon a war, too.

The big problem isn't the specific meat, but that it wasn't as advertised, implying that the usual checks to confirm the batch was not literal poison were not performed.

Properly certified rat meat, for instance, is fine. Rat meat that's supposed to be beef, though, is not.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Beeb only has the protest story on its front page, with some flattering nods to Corbyn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Labour are either completely shambolic or endorse the majority of the status quo depending on which wing of the party they are on

'Or'? I don't exactly recall the Labour right being bastions of competence and unity.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

namesake posted:

Reviews gave it a five tentacles up.

Only five? Clearly not a big hit with the cephalopod crowd.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

radmonger posted:

Relativism is literally the correct approach to maters of left and right; centre and extreme;. If you disagree, there's a simple experiment; Balance on your toes and lean too far from your centre, so you fall over. Use a GPS to measure the exact point that was 'too far'.

Post on social media warning people if they ever go North of that point you measured, they too will fall over.

Corbyn has pretty clearly fallen over. And that has nothing to do with where he stood in absolute terms, only the fact that, in this analogy, he doesn't quite get how his limbs work.

what the hell even is this post

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is the good poo poo. Immaculately-made story of a dying art-form set against the most turbulent bits of twentieth-century Japanese history. Recommended if you like theatre, historical fiction, sexy dudes and ladies, and/or well-made, good-looking drama.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

ulster loyalism and the alt right is a match made in hell, also transgender agenda has a nice ring to it

That's literally where Britain First came from.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Igiari posted:

Kill La Kill is actually great. It's not Imaishi's best buts it's still miles better than other stuff out there.

Kill la Kill is absolutely not something you give out as a blind recommendation unless you know that the recommendee is likely to be OK with all the... stuff that happens in the second half (or, hell, a chunk of the stuff that happens in the first half). Might want to adjust your filters a little.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paxman posted:

I like Ghost in the Shell (Standalone and Arise and even Innocence) and Ergo Proxy, but not schoolgirls, rape or people who turn into monsters for no apparent reason. What do I watch?

Cowboy Bebop. Alternatively, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju for drama, Sword of the Stranger for action, and Planetes for cool political sci-fi. Don't remember schoolgirls, rape, or surprise monsters in any of those.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

My immediate D&D thought is that this is some kind of political statement, like how dress codes are used as an excuse to assault and harass women, and also uniforms are a hierarchical form of oppression that often hard code the idea of gender into an institution, therefore the rape by the uniform is symbolic of the trauma all women face under patriarchy.

Then I remembered we're discussing bad anime and not bad 2nd waver lit, so it probably grows tentacles or something. idk/care

They did actually go there for a while in that show. Then they skipped through a few dozen different themes and ended up with 'not making sense is what makes humanity great'. It was the studio's first long-form narrative, made by the most rabidly id-driven member of its core staff, and it showed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Psycho-pass. That was an easy one.

He asked for no schoolgirls or rape, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

The 'surge in membership' has been an objectively bad thing for labour.

The surge in membership has made Labour the richest party in the U.K.. How's that a bad thing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Fat lot of good it's doing them. If anything the failure to get results with such rich resources is an even more damning indictment of the dear leader.

Labour is in a peculiar situation right now. It's rich as hell, and also broke as hell. See, it comes down to the division between national and local. The central party is in a better situation than it's been in in years, which means that it's a net benefit rather than a net drain for the local parties. The problem is that there's a lot of local parties, and local membership fees plus central party stipends only make up a small part of their finances. The rest is from fundraising campaigns, which are the fastest way to regenerate your funds after a period of heavy expenditure. Local parties have been through a period of extremely heavy expenditure. The general election, first leadership campaign, local government election campaign, and EU referendum campaign completely exhausted their coffers - for instance, it was a considerable surprise that the Labour candidate for Avon and Somerset PCC managed as close a second place as he did, because thanks to the campaigns for the referendum and the other local government posts, he ran with literally zero campaign budget. The plan was to go back into some heavy-duty fundraising once the dust settled from Brexit, and start reaching out to the new arrivals from the leadership election, getting them used to the attending meetings and learning the inner workings of the party.

Then the morons in the PLP launched their coup and - this is the important bit - shut down all CLP activity for the next three months, paralysing them as their chances to secure money and members trickled away into the ether. It was a tremendous blow, and one they're still trying to recover from. It also means that if a snap election happens, Labour will be at an enormous financial and organisational disadvantage - you need tens of thousands of pounds to run a serious general election campaign in your constituency, and our CLP's budget is barely over a thousand, and it's still only just starting to spin up its member induction campaign.

Source: a chat with the CLP treasurer at our last local meeting. Seriously, truly attending some. The local officers have had it up to here with the PLP's poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rookoo posted:

Watched a Stacey Dooley programme the other night. I know it's BBC3, but she's not very bright is she?

She recently went over to Japan to demand Anime be banned, asking a popular manga author "Why don’t you Japanese people follow what the UK does?"

To which he replied: "Why don’t you British people follow Japan, since we’re more civilized, and have lower crime rate than the UK?"

Given that that interview didn't show up in the documentary (at least, the 55-minute version on the BBC website), and we only have the anime guy's word on how it turned out (as translated by an anime fansite), I'd be a little hesitant to rush to any judgements here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

oh my loving god jeremy nobody cares about this stuff, please reclaim the mantle of being the party of the NHS from these cunts

'Nobody cares' isn't the same as 'isn't important'. 'Vote for us or we literally starve you to death' becoming a legit tactic is game over for British democracy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

?

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/839541859357769728

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Labour should be focusing on the Tory broken manifesto promise not some boring poo poo about Surrey.

Why do you think it's boring that the government's austerity programme has taken an even more explicit turn towards 'kill off anyone who doesn't vote for us'?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

"This government has seen more paperwork, and now higher taxes for people running small businesses. Unacceptable. Labour will not add to your burdens if we are the next government."

You mean messages like these?

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/839463194582269953

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/839465112696147968

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/839468274773606401

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On policy, here is the current Labour Party policy framework, as voted for unanimously by the NEC. Here is the more detailed policy framework on the NHS specifically.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone got a good, easily-linksble article about all (or most) of what is poo poo about the budget?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This seems pretty close to what people are asking for:

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/839757924687736832

Seriously, half the thread seems to involve ignoring Labour press releases and then claiming they aren't saying anything.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, heard people were looking for this:

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/839899370556428289

I can see why they're not playing this up quite as much as their other criticisms of the budget, though. Breaking manifesto pledges is bad, but the pledge in this case was both contrary to Labour's political stance and incredibly loving dumb - ditching it was one of Hammond's few sensible decisions this week, and not something Corbyn's crew can rag on him all that hard for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Again, understanding 'most Labour voters went remain, but most Labour constituencies voted Leave' is not all that hard if you remember that Britain uses an FPTP system, where you only need a plurality, rather than a majority, to win. Or, to put it another way, a 'safe' seat is one where you always get 40% of the vote and your closest competition can only manage 30% at best. In a yes/no referendum, though, the vote can't be split, and so a bunch of Labour MPs had to deal with the uncomfortable realisation that a majority of their constituents don't agree with their policies, and have only failed to boot them out because they can't decide whether they like UKIP, the Conservatives, or the BNP more.

This is also why Labour's traditional safe seats are now in serious trouble - with the collapse of UKIP and the Lib Dems, their opponents are now unified behind a single party, May's Conservatives. We saw this in Stoke and Copeland - the Labour vote share didn't change much in either, but the Stoke vote was split by a massive UKIP effort, and the Copeland one wasn't.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bobstar posted:

I still love that there's a page dedicated to refuting the myths about the EU printed in British tabloids, and that while some of them are misrepresentation of actual things, a lot of them are just refuted with "this was never anything, we don't know what they're talking about".

Link?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure about the first part but the second part is probably true.

We're going in an unexpected direction while on fire. It fits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

and i must meme posted:

How bad is it really going to get? Like is everyone just overreacting or is this really going to be as bad as people are implying?

Really bad. We have very little that other countries can't provide, so the incentive after we drop out of all our trade deals will not be for them to get us back on board as a business partner, but to steal all our profitable industries and become the economic hearts of Europe in our place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
'Negro' might work. It's gone through multiple cycles of being the appropriate term for black people and being wildly inappropriate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, where was that neat old article about how and why the Economist is poo poo? I know the reasons, I just want to read that article again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

The only person responsible for Brexit is Dave.

Rupert might have had a hand in it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

It's the Telegraph so unless you're put off by the lack of calls for paup genocide I'm not sure what's surprising about that article.

They usually go for a classier, more erudite brand of bigotry. They seem to be forgetting they're not the Mail here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

i kind of want brexit to be as catastrophic as possible so everyone learns a lesson but i know that its extremely bad for everyone if that happens and nobody will learn a lesson anyway

The big problem with accelerationism is that it presumes a good amount of the damage inflicted will be reversible once people come to their senses. That doesn't tend to work out so well in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Lewis is signalling as hard and as desperately as he can that he does not want more responsibility until he's had a little longer to grasp the basics of being an MP. Guy will likely be impressive in a few years' time, but right now, he's the embodiment of a terrified newbie.

• Locked thread