Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jabby posted:

What learnincurve said, with the proviso that if she is actively suicidal then she can go to A&E and she should not be discharged without mental health team review. Possibly your local A&E is terrible and you might need to try a larger hospital, but there should be an acute mental health team who can review her and decide if she needs admission or follow up.

If there's no immediate threat to life though try the GP. Unfortunately there are high barriers to mental health admission at the moment due to lack of beds.

How is she at the moment? Manic or depressed? Does she want to be admitted? On any medication? Who has managed her up until now?

LOL, many years ago I went to what was at the time the largest hospital in Glasgow to suggest I was actively suicidal and they more or less just said they couldn't do anything until I actually tried to kill myself so go to a GP in the morning. That was a lark. God bless the NHS but by jove my experiences with it are mostly to do with mental health and aside from getting a free prescription of SSRIs it's pretty much negative. A whole host of massive waiting times, which combined with a condition that has low motivation as a side effect, by the time you actually get an appointment to see a mental health professional the odds are that either the depression has gotten worse to the point where getting out of bed is an effort on a par with Atlas holding up the sky, or gone away to the point where I don't feel it's worth the effort, because the nearest hospital isn't in the catchment area for my GP clinic so I have to travel 40 minutes by bus to the west, and then 40 minutes to the east by another bus.

And if the experience of getting help for depression wasn't lousy enough, good luck being a 30 something male trying to get help for an eating disorder.

What I'm saying is that I have no useful advice, and that if I could afford it I would have little compunction about going private for mental health care, much as that idea in general isn't one I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Upstanding Neighbourhoods' Fash CYOA showed up again, this time as a sponsored post.

With a really strange tagline, because my immediate first thought was that it was going to be an EFF/Liberty thing about encryption laws or data protection.

I'd never seen this before. This is really, really lame. It's like babby's first fascism is bad video. So heavy handed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

It's what world war II was fought about :

Why doesn't the UN guarantee my right to a life in UKMT free from pointless arguments with Pissflaps over pedantry & boring minutia?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

OK so what happens when nobody votes "enough" either to remain in the EU or leave it, because it wasn't a yes/no vote, it was a stay/go vote?

The status quo remains. This is what happened with the 1979 Scottish devolution referendum. 51.62% of the people who voted voted for devolution but they needed 40% of the total electorate to vote Yes to devolution, & with 64% turnout that didn't happen, so the status quo remained.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

So the UK will get Brexit anyway but 20 years later and in a form that nobody is particularly thrilled with.

That sounds about right.

People were pretty thrilled about the Scottish Parliament in 1997 when the referendum happened. 74.29% voted for the Parliament, 63.48 voted for tax varying powers, though admittedly they ended up being quite poo poo powers for the first 15 years of it's existence. But the Scottish Parliament itself? I was still in school when the referendum went down but I remember the general excitement surrounding it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

oliwan posted:

lol England is so hosed, they get exactly what they deserve. Good luck Scotland.

We won't vote for independence though. The fundamental economic questions that scared folk towards the status quo in 2014 still remain, even while the UK's own economic future is murky as gently caress. Something would need to change in the next 18 months, Brexit would have to be exceptionally bad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Do people even pirate music nowadays? It's easy enough to find most things on youtube/spotify/bandcamp for free instead of even bothering with some :filez: site.

People only seem to bother with that for movies or TV, not even games.

There are definitely people who pirate music. Spotify is poo poo when I'm out on the go because I live in the Scottish Highlands & mobile signals may as well not exist up in large parts of it. Including my bedroom. There's still P2P services out there like Soulseek, and certainly in the many different strains of the metal underground there are loads of blogs with links to cool poo poo. Like there's a great anarcho-punk/crust/anarcho black metal one I follow, & another for DSBM (scenes that Spotify isn't particularly good for anyway). Lots of the poo poo is demos and stuff from unsigned bands that are freely available, but some of it is undoubtedly straight up :filez:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

...BDSM Black Metal?

Close. Depressive suicidal black metal. It's super goofy and dumb. Emo for metallers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

if your black metal isn't discussing the worthless pointlessness of existence it's not doing its job imo

either that or it's dimmu borgir who I still have a soft spot for

Nah, there's great uplifting black metal. The Canadian band Iskra are great (obviously named after the Russian newspaper). Also their website just has links to download every one of their records. Great bunch. And there's a dude who records as Panopticon and did an album all about his home state of Kentucky, including a couple of covers of old pro trade union songs that the coal miners would sing back in the day when unions were still cool.

Also, Dimmu Borgir are a grave sin and yet at least they aren't Cradle of Filth.

Oops, meant to include a link to a DSBM song, just for giggles. That dudes screams are certainly a thing.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 13, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I went to London to see them do their second ever live show way back when '05 or '06 at the Underworld-. It was fun & quite novel, except Axis of Perdition had to withdraw as the support band meaning I've never been able to see them live and that is sad. Then they started playing all the time and the last time I saw them I fell asleep. Which makes it the second show I've ever fallen asleep at.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

I remember them saying they could never play live with any regularity because they were just so metal and heavy and they did occasional shows with the bass player from Napalm Death and then boom, put a band together and touring!

[edit2] not UK, and not grindcore, but Scott Hull is the riff master and should be appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHx02wmSf3c&t=166s

I was listening to Prowler In The Yard as you posted this, neat coincidence. Also, talking about Scott Hull, the last Agoraphobic Nosebleed EP was loving tremendous. Sludge good enough that Eyehategod could have put it out.

Pochoclo posted:

Everyone is entitled to their own tastes. That thing is extremely out of my taste range.

I've found that pretty much every human being I've met likes Queen, though. That's like common ground.

Hi, I think Queen are rank rotten, nice to meet you! Plus the whole breaking the cultural embargo on South Africa & continually denying it was a big deal was super lovely.

ThomasPaine posted:

Hmm seriously considering leaving Labour now after the response to indyref2. Looks like they're going to shack up with the Tories again. Sorry Corbs I love you but you dropped the ball here bigstyle.

Join Labour For Indy. Labour needs more pro-independence voices, the SNP needs more criticism from the left.

Private Speech posted:

Where do old Chumbawamba records fall.

They're absolute pain to get hold of these days, even on P2P sites and such, nevermind youtube. I know I lost a few songs of theirs I had to a dying hard drive and I can't find them again at all.

I downloaded some old Desperate Bicycles cassette that's long since out of print. It might not be legal but nobody is really going to get mad at you for downloading some rare old poo poo.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 13, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Nick Clegg was pretty good there tbh. You guys should vote Lib Dem

This is beyond the pale. Please don't say such grotesque things in future comrade.

Taear posted:

The only person responsible for Brexit is Dave.

Boris Johnson really shouldn't get away scot-free here. Yeah, Davey Pigfucker made a horrible mistake in mortgaging the country to hold his party together so he could stay PM while complacently assumed we'd never commit suicide, but I'm not letting all the others responsible get away with it. Gideon, BoJo, Gove, loving Tony Blair sticking his oar in despite him being pure poison, and while I don't think he half-arsed it Corbyn did do a pisspoor job of getting his message out, which is the main theme of his time as leader. A whole lot of blame to go around really.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 13, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

My Dublinpost should have made it clear that I live within The Pale :colbert: . And yeah, I was going for something about how Clegg is good at slagging off the opposition but bad at actual policy-making, but it didn't quite come off. Back to the lab.

Hah, I got that, I just automatically hate on anything pro Liberal Democrat. It's instinctive.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

winegums posted:

Y'know, I'm starting to believe this is Sturgeon's schtick. Take a slump in popularity, campaign to leave again. Either Westminster says NO and you get a burst in ratings as the face of la resistance, or they say yes and you dominate news cycles for a year as the face of the YES campaign.

If May is smart she'll put the onus entirely on the Scottish people to show interest, and hope there's no taste for yet another referendum.

Can it be a shtick when this is the first referendum she has called as leader of the SNP & First Minister of Scotland? Also, not really sure SNP's popularity has slumped all that much. It could just be that the Scottish National Party actually think independence for Scotland is a good idea? Guess we'll see after the council elections in May.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

For starters it's barely Corbyn's job, he needs to remember Dugdale exists, secondly, there is no real nuance to be had in a binary referendum.

Kezia Dugdale should probably be less poo poo before I give a gently caress about Corbyn standing on her toes. This goes for the majority of ScotLab MSPs.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Plucky Brit posted:

If I had a vote on Scottish independence I would vote yes in a heartbeat. I know a lot of people south of the border who feel the same way.

If you move here you can get a vote.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

They could if Labour had a spine.

What benefit is there to delaying the inevitable by a few months more? Is it not better that Brexit happens before a 2020 general election than after it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

The Lords is a pisspoor revising chamber if it refuses to revise lovely legislation.

Not the question though TinTower. How does a years delay before the inevitable actually benefit anything? You acknowledge that the Lords can't stop the Commons from doing what it wants, simply delay it, I assume? So what comes from it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

The possibility to elect a government that will stop Throwing-Ourselves-Off-The-Cliff Brexit before the timer runs out.

So you think that once Article 50 is enacted a new government would be able to put to put brakes on it? Who would this new government be? You think the Liberal Democrats can be the largest party in Westminster? I admire your optimism but I'm not sure it's particularly realistic. Would be happy to be wrong.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

Well, Article 50 is revokable until the day of departure.

There is also the possibility of a new government only seeking a Brexit that keeps us in the EEA, for example.

Staying in the EEA without any say in what it does is a very poo poo idea.

And yes, Article 50 is revocable in a legal sense, but is there political will on the continent?

I see you've also not answered who this mythical government who would revoke it would be led by.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

Indeed, it is a poo poo idea, but it's less poo poo than Turbo-hosed Brexit.

If that government is a Lib Dem government, I'd be happy, but I'd be also happy with a Labour government who would ensure that our economy doesn't go off the cliff.

Right, but who is leading it? Because Jeremy Corbyn lead Labour government won't stop it. (Never mind that a Jeremy Corbyn lead Labour Party seem extraordinarily unlikely to win a general election) So it comes back to the ol' Pissflaps question: Who do you think can replace him who can stop the rot? Especially bearing in mind even those on the Labour right seem to be coming around to the inevitability of Brexit now the referendum has been lost. Considering they'd have to both win over the membership and then the wider electorate, which opposing Brexit tooth & nail which will instantly cause some consternation in the PLP, who is this person?

I'd like to be wrong, but a Labour PM who would stop Brexit in 2020 seems only marginally less likely than a Liberal Democrat led government. And still doesn't address that you also need political will from other European governments that does not exist as it stands.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

There are three years until the next general election.

Article 50 allows two years of negotiation.

And the election will be in May. 3 years from now is March, not May. May comes after March.

You've also continued with this delusion that there is a leader of a political party who can win a mandate at the ballot box which also opposing Brexit. Which means you think Labour can win in 2020 and will also replace Corbyn soon, and that his replacement will be Clive Lewis. You're demanding the further polarisation of British politics on something which at this point seems so far-fetched as to be unimaginable without the use of psychedelic drugs. Brexit is happening.

Anyway

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/841277537032556544

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kustomkarkommando posted:

I am not from London and voted remain - though I must admit I do eat humus and occasionally read the guardian

I too am a not-London remainer. The furthest south I've ever lived was Sheffield, I don't think I've ever eaten humus (though I'm not opposed to it or anything, just never gotten round to it), I've never been to university, & I only read The Guardian to sneer at its idiot opinion writers.

Anyway, https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/841653201044721664

Buckfast to become the lone drink at our embassies, meaning Scots vote to stay in the union & all apply to work for the Foreign Office.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

The Green Party's central committee are full of right-wing people who are virulently opposed to gay people, trans people, black people, women, Muslims, etc.

The youth of the party frequently said that they're more naturally Labour but couldn't support New Labour. With any luck the outcome of the Corbyn experiment will at least have a new generation of left-wing Labour members to revive the party post-2020 defeat.

Please, you mean the Green Party of England & Wales. The Scottish Green Party is very good. Except on the usual issues that goons love involving science.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I have to admit I've not heard much from the Scottish one (for some reason down here in the Midlands).

Well, they are good. Patrick Harvie is the best. The natural party for left wing pro-independence supporters. Also have more MSPs than UKIP & the Lib Dems combined which is nice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Ah, so they have 1?

*turns to give TinTower a poo poo-eating grin*

6! Could have been more if SNP voters could be bothered to listen to how the Scottish Parliament voting system works but there you go.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

Yeah, Both Votes SNP was a colossal clusterfuck for the SNP. The Tories gained the most from the Labour vote collapsing on the List.

I got so mad trying to convince many SNP voters that both votes SNP was a waste of their vote & they should vote for another pro-indy party on the Regional List, be it Green or RISE. One of those situations where I was proven right and didn't really feel good about it. Managed 4 MSPs across 2 regions. loving idiots. I know it's not necessarily the most instinctive system, but we've had it for over 15 years, and it's not that complicated. Greens were 6,000 seats shy of picking up a 2nd seat in Glasgow, meanwhile the SNP got 111,101 & picked up zero seats.

I do like the Scottish Parliament's electoral system. I'd quite like if the constituency seats were decided by single transferable vote but it has good to have some wee parties represented. Before they fell apart from Tommy Sheridan's lying the SSP were a valuable voice on the left despite only having a handful of members, & the Greens have always been good going back to when they had Robin Harper. It's healthy having minority voices represented, FPTP is shite.

ThomasPaine posted:

Pizza Hut pizzas are awful garbage but those little cheesy garlic breads they do are the tits

I really really like Pizza Hut garbage pizzas. I know they aren't good, and they do horrible things do my bowels, but there's just something about them. I crave them. Though I've not had one in 3 or 4 years. It's a bad craving.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 14, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not an activist.

Yeah, more like a slacktivist. ZING

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

The tabloids are going after people living on taxpayer handouts again

The Mail has something similar going on except there were two women at his party so they're obviously on the cover

Are Rupert Murdoch & Paul Dacre big fans of Charles? Seen a few stories about skipping over him, hard not to think of this as a counter to that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Aye, not going to stand for this besmirching of the noble parsnip, a perfectly nice vegetable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I've noted this a lot from my own Lib Dem friends

:sever: for your own good

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

perhaps you could break this cycle by putting its key element out to pasture

I'm ready & willing to listen to consider replacements and have been for a while, but 1997, untainted, inspirational, all the hopes in the country on his shoulders Tony Blair would struggle to win in 2020. Needless to say there is nobody with that degree of slickness in the current PLP. But hey, if you can find a candidate who'll run on a genuine left of centre platform, with the intention of devolving more power to the membership and local CLPs who would run against Corbyn, I'd welcome them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Who would replace the Lib Dems though?

A cardboard cutout of Nick Clegg would do the job ably.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kustomkarkommando posted:

Whatever happened to forging an alliance with the Lib Dems come next election

I can't see Labour getting close enough to a majority that they'd need the help of the Liberals dozen or so MPs to push them over the line. A coalition with the Nats from N.Ireland, Wales & Scotland would be far more viable & frankly even that looks like fantasy poo poo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Yvette Cooper for head of the party? Yes? No?

She'd be a good head of an SDP Mark 2

March 15th 1917 - Tsar Nicholas II abdicates the throne, ending the Romanov dynasty's 304 year run in charge of Russia.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 15, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Let's not have that and instead have Labour but not poo poo.

Clearly you & I have different definitions of a not poo poo Labour Party if you think Yvette Cooper would be the leader to restore a not poo poo Labour Party..

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I'm sure there's a long list of breathless, hyperbolic fantasy that would render Yvette Cooper a bad choice to be labour leader.

It's not a particularly long list. She's not much a socialist. Not even much a social democrat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Paxman posted:

She wouldn't though. She may be less left wing that many people here would like but she's not the same as Theresa May. She's not a Tory.

Ummm, you don't have to be a Tory to be absolutely abysmal on civil liberties. There's a rich recent history of Labour trying to position themselves as the party of "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime", except forgetting to do the latter because it's hard & not an instant vote winner like the former.

Paxman posted:

Who don't you tell us who you think would be better than Cooper, if she's bad? Seriously, i'm not stuck on Yvette Cooper if people have better ideas but who would be better?

I have. Nandy is about as far as right as I'd countenance for replacing Corbyn. Hopefully the membership feel the same way and continue to refuse to allow the neoliberals in the party to take over again.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 15, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

Lib dem broadcast on atm.

It's poo poo.

Well that's always the risk with atm

JFairfax posted:

holy poo poo this whole time I thought it was a UKMT insult for right wing people in the labour party.

loving hell.

blue labour. you have got to be making GBS threads me that's ridiculous.

Funnily, one of our resident Blairites, ronya, is probably the most vocally anti-Blue Labour in the thread. So it's definitely not just as simple as right wing Labour. It's an insular kind of right wing Labour as opposed to the globalism of the other right wing Labour group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

My choice is between labour or nobody. My local mp is a good lad and anti Corbyn so I'll probably vote for him.

You've changed your tune. You were going to not for anyone at the last counting, despite the anti Corbyn nature of your MP.

• Locked thread