Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Dabir posted:

I'm sure May's keeping it in mind.

Is Clive Lewis a Tory sellout for proposing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

maybe the lesson is you don't go into a coalition cabinet with the centre-right

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

see also: the collapse of Irish labour

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

We did a pretty heavy focus on the various parliamentary shenanigans between 1880-1922 for obvious enough reasons, so good big chunk of Gladstone, Salisbury, Lloyd George and Bonar Law with a bit on the khaki election, parliament act, liberal split and tariff reform/joseph chamberlain - but that was mainly a level

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Isn't there a whole rival Grassroots Momentum thing now

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think its a faction within a faction, its the folks that opposed glasmans changes to the groups constitution. They had their own conference and elected their own steering committee and everything

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Lansman, not Glasman - the latter is the guy behind Blue Labour, and I can't imagine he has a whole lot of time for Momentum or its supporters.

lol I keep getting those mixed up for some reason

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Factionalist splitters are all the same to me

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Its worth pointing out that many of then had been "colleagues" with him for years beforehand I think

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

If the PLP thought Corbyn was such a poor candidate they wouldn't have given him the nominations that let him run.

I think they gave him the nominations precisely because they thought he was such a poor candidate he wouldn't win

A lot of people disagreed with them though

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

:rip: Martin McGuinness

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

wasn't it mentioned ITT that he hadn't been looking well recently?

Yeah its been known he's been dying for a few weeks now

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

HJB posted:

Looking at articles about him it's interesting to see who's willing to call him a terrorist and who isn't. It's only really the Mail that go all out in that regard from what I've seen.

When you're further to the right than Ian Paisley jnr

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ian Paisley Jr coming out and saying "listen theres no point in going over that" and personally thanking him for saving lives due to his commitment to peace when he retired kind of embarrassed a few people and I think the obits, which have probably been ready for a bit, where probably tidied up a bit after that

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well that's a good sign they won't let him back in Labour after all

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

I think there is some merit in the Labour Party embracing some sort of patriotism, people love that poo poo

flegs you say

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ed Milidands tentative tiptopes into "patriotism" where horrifically cringe worthy, I doubt Corbyn would be more successful

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

So the perpetrator of the Westminster attacks was an ISIS affiliate and convict. And a man from Utah was killed. What happens now?

A serious furrowing of brows

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Less than 24 hours left for Northern Ireland to try to come up with an agreed government or it's looking like another election.

Naturally the DUP aren't negotiating today cause it is the LORDS DAY so actually it's a bit less

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well just after I typed that it seems Sinn Fein have announced they will not nominate a deputy first minister tomorrow so the talks have officially broken down

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Is there much point in another election?

Not much no but Sinn Fein said they will not accept an extension via emergency legislation and the Irish and British government's have both made it clear they are cold on suspending devolution so another election seems likely as the only remaining course of action.

Wonder if May will still visit as part of her much heralded pre-Article 50 tour of the devolved regions

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Niric posted:

What happens if/when the election result is more or less exactly the same? I assume Arlene Foster is unlikely to step down- is there anything that can/will actually change here?

More talks!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

It's escalated beyond the DUP/SF disagreements now - the Government is getting equal flack from SF over the legacy issue and Irish language act and they are calling on the Irish government to lodge official complaints against the British government for failing to fulfil treaty commitments at the UN/ other international courts. They are quite keen to point out this the government's negotiating stance is as much to blame as the DUPs in their opinion

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Prince John posted:

Any likelihood of Sinn Fein becoming the largest party on the re-run, since they came so close last time?

Depends if there is a panicked unionist face-saving strategy - there has been a lot of chatter about Unionist Unity since the last election even from commentators critical of the DUP. RHI has kind of drifted into the background so there is a chance a "Keep Sinn Fein out" vote mobilization could yield better results than last election. Though SF and other nationalist commentators think the sea-change in mobilized nationalist voters in the last election has killed the prospect of that happening.

If there's another election it will be a test for Unionism to see if they can mobilize votes and if a silent non-voting unionist voting bloc still exists/can be tapped

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

If there is a rerun election, how long a period are we looking at before another vote?

Brokenshire has some wiggle room in that he only has to call an election within a "reasonable time" but convention is usually 6 six weeks from the announcement of a new election, he might put off announcing a polling date until post Article 50 so maybe the second week in May?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The sitting of the NI assembly to select a first and deputy first minister has been postponed by mutual agreement, would have yielded zero results anyway.

Seems to be a tactic to kick the issue to the other side of the April recess, the secretary of state has a "reasonable time" to make a decision re: election or direct rule but its looking unlikely he'll make that call for a few weeks now

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think May is just going to skip NI on her Brexit tour unless she pops over tomorrow

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So the deadline to form an executive in Northern Ireland has passed. Secretary of State Brokenshire has said, despite pre deadline hints to the contrary, that he sees no appetite for another election putting us back on track for direct rule.

Seems to be using the flexibility granted to him in setting an election date to give a couple weeks wiggle room until after the Easter recess before taking action (possibly hoping to get an agreement and then backdate a legal extension to facilitate a new government without another election).

Doesn't seem likely though so some flavour of direct rule is on the cards in the next few weeks. No budget has been agreed as of yet so the civil service will keep the plates spinning for a while

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Useful reminder that if it does go back to direct rule to expect May to move cautiously as the DUPs voting bloc will come in handy if the grammar school matter ever goes to a vote

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Brokenshire has said that if no executive is in place in Northern Ireland by the end of the April recess he will move to introduce legislation into the house of commons to set a regional rate for the year - most likely meaning an end to the 6 year rate freeze the DUP and SF both implemented

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So May did wind up skipping visiting Northern Ireland in her pre-Article 50 tour.

2 out of three good enough I guess

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I wouldn't overegg the coming of the European army - still plenty of opposition to the idea from the Baltic states and Poland eager not to undermine NATO and Austria, Ireland and Malta cautious over their neutrality

"Multi-speed" Europe might mean bilateral agreements but there's going to be opt outs

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

For the record Ireland has already complained to the European Commission that certain EU countries (cough cough Luxembourg) are engaging in backdoor incentives to attract companies looking to keep a foot in the EU - basically giving them brass plate registration without having to move capital.

That was after AIG picked Luxembourg a few weeks or so ago

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

WMain00 posted:

Luxembourg's pretty awesome. My partners parents live over there. Tempted to look at jobs over there myself.

Well the idea seems to be to set up a skeleton office with minimum staff to keep single market access rather than large scale relocations

There was even a thing in a Reuters report saying that the Germans where telling people nobody understands the Irish accent in Europe so its best to go to Frankfurt :mad:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Basically watch as the ravenous crows of European tax shelters peck each others eyes out to feast on the juicy entrails of Brexit Britain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TinTower posted:

FAO especially jabby, Prince John: further to the Alexander Blackman discussion the other day, someone pointed this out from the first appeal judgment:

So over three years the CMAC have flipped on a dime over whether Blackman could have been diagnosed with adjustment/combat stress disorder after the fact.

The conclusion of the appeal judgement pretty decisively states the court agreed Blackman was suffering from combat stress disorder though, and the prosecution subsequently did not contest that issue after the appeal

• Locked thread