Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Can't wait for tomorrow's Daily Mail headline over the Lords vote.

I wonder what depth they will manage to plumb this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Don't recall seeing this mentioned here the past few days: the govt are now definitely pushing ahead with stripping housing benefits from 18-21 year olds, which will begin in April. As I recall this was suggested by Gideon in 2015, but fell by the wayside.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/03/charities-dismayed-as-housing-benefit-cut-goes-ahead

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I don't often agree with jBrereton but I do think he somewhat has a point here. The UK was just the most visible in terms of its snowflakery.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming the UK was not selfish or did not ruthlessly pursue 'our' (ie: elites) interests - the point is that the other big members did, they just did it at a much earlier stage, with their snowflakey demands actually built into the design of EU instituions/initiatives (such as the design of the Euro to structurally favour Germany, the CAP, the Strasbourg Parliament arrangement, etc), rather than very visibly tagged on at the end through opt-outs and the like.

This is why I am skeptical of talk of how the EU will be stronger and more cohesive following the departure of the UK, and how without it holding everyone back they will now FINALLY be able to fix all the problems and transcend into a glorious shared European future.

There might now be some token moves toward further integration in some areas, such as military cooperation, but from what I can see the interest in this area is mainly due to the potential for greater free-riding. However, fixing the fundamental structural problems which underpin governance in the EU and Eurozone in particular is not going to happen: it is simply not in the interests of the largest EU members - they do pretty drat well out of the current arrangements and will find new excuses to put off such reforms.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Don't worry about it. I mean, even if the UK does completely implode I am sure the EU will take a generous and compassionate stance toward refugees from a neighbouring failed state

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Keep in mind the Mail on Sunday has a different team to the regular mail (they both hate eachother), and was pro-remain. I wouldn't read too much into it. Or read it at all for that matter.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Nick Clegg was pretty good there tbh. You guys should vote Lib Dem

I agree with Nick

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

With the recent negative headlines over the budget its perfectly plausible that May will opt to trigger Article 50 asap in order to buy a few positive headlines from the Mail, Express, etc

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

namesake posted:

I think it's more a case of how does anyone expect impartiality of any political reporting to take place when the editor is directly involved in the (nearly) top level of political organisation of the country.

Any Tory editor can print 'Corbyn sucks' (and they do!) but this wouldn't even involve an actual leak, just a mindful editorial line.
Does he actually have any journalism experience? At all?

This seems such a strange appointment, pretty much came out of nowhere

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

big scary monsters posted:

A doomsday device is the way to go. Plant sufficiently many large enough nukes under the entirety of the UK that we can respond to any first strike by wiping the British Isles from the map and filling the atmosphere with enough radioactive dust that no sunlight reaches the planet's surface for the next decade and the topsoil of the entire globe is deadly to all life.

Please don't leak our Brexit negotiation strategy

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

That makes sense given the conflicting reports. Oh dear...

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

BarbarianElephant posted:

You just posted *in support* of the terrorists

What?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Looke posted:

this is bad for jeremy corbyn

You joke but its pretty much guaranteed that the usual suspects are going to jump on him for not condemning this incident fast/hard enough.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Pretty sure both Scottish and Welsh Assemblies have now been suspended

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

French Prime Minister has confirmed that French students were amongst those injured in the attack.

Unclear as to their ages (there were earlier reports they were children), but some small sliver of comfort at least in fact there were no fatalities amongst them.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Seaside Loafer posted:

Do the groups actually understand that this poo poo will make things worse for everyone including their brothers in the target nation or are they so blinded by the religion that they just don't give a gently caress. I refuse to believe that some of top level guys arent at a level of intelligence that they haven't actually thought for a moment 'you know what, all this 2nd coming, new york burning, 99 virgins in heaven whatever it is blah blah' stuff, might be a bit iffy.

I do get the Qaddafi plan when he couldn't fight back so he got up to monkey business but these lot don't even have a nation do they.

Maybe its a meta-plan to make us into a police state so we are so loving miserable we rise up and destroy it.

Its all beyond me.

loving religion man, gently caress all them and their followers.

No, thats exactly what the groups who carry these kind of attacks want. They want their attacks to be as brutal and bloody as possible in order to create division. They know the more brutal they are, the more the media, public and government will overreact and create a racist backlash. They WANT ordinary muslims to be victimised and blamed by the non-muslim majority, as they will thus be alienated, thus making radical islamist movements a more attractive prospect for some.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

big scary monsters posted:

The best way to deal with terrorist attacks is to ignore them completely and not give them days of blanket media attention, which only validates such tactics and increases the likelihood of subsequent attacks.

And I understand the irony of me taking this position after our discussion earlier today about how nobody trusts actuaries.

Its an approach that rationally makes the most sense (its literally the opposite of what the terrorists are aiming for).

But peoples response to things like this have never been rational - its always emotional. If you try to advocate that approach amongst folks who aren't already fellow travellers they will just look at you like you are mad (and likely dismiss anything you say from then on in).

Tigey fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 22, 2017

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Hoops posted:

There is a third option that a lot of people don't consider.

The Lib Dems?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Doesn't that say the European Parliament rather than the Council?

edit: 1947 - the Doomsday Clock of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is introduced, indicating how close the world is to global catastrophe. Its a couple of minutes slow

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

goddamnedtwisto posted:

maybe the PLP are in fact geniuses
I think I see the flaw in this theory

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

baka kaba posted:

Breath Ray finally lands a shot :hellyeah:

Well the point is that triggering Article 50 is sort of a turning point - this is where all the goodwill and optimism the Tories have been riding high on starts to get replaced with responses to what they're actually delivering, what the country is actually facing and how it falls short of what's been promised.

Labour had to spend a bunch of political capital positioning themselves to take advantage of this, so the polls are (in part) down to what's been happening on both sides, good for the Tories and bad for Labour. So you'd expect some sort of adjustment in the next few months (hopefully) as the negotiations take place and there's something specific to criticise, and the reality of what's going to happen starts to hit home

And if they're talking about September specifically, maybe there's something in the works? Is that when the leadership rule changes are meant to be passed?

Yeah - I am getting the distinct feeling that May's honeymoon from the right wing/centrist media is now officially over now that Article 50's been triggered and its happening (rather than it being something everyone could project their own wishes/fantasies onto). Cold hard reality is beginning to set in and the number of negative articles are increasing.

Whilst the Mail/Express et al will happily go along with the inevitable "Vengeful Brussels/Germans/French STITCH UP BRITAIN!" narratives, I'm fairly confident they are also going to turn on May - nothing she can do in these negotiations (short of an all out nuclear attack on every EU capital) will be strong enough to satisfy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

mehall posted:

The PLP have been much quieter about "Corbyn bad", so the Tories have re-doubled there efforts to brand him as a bad leader, not seen since Camerons famous "For god's sakes man, resign!" at PMQs.

Why do the Tories want rid of Corbyn, if he is helping them so much?

They want division in Labour, and want someone leading Labour who cedes the ideas they are broadcasting, and will only really say "We'll try and be a bit slower about loving up the public services".

Corbyn has not been a good leader, nor has he worked the media well. How much of this is due to Corbyn, vs how much to do with Milne, is up for question.

However, every part of the country has been saying, since before he got elected as labour leader, that he can't do it. Every part.
Sure feels like they don't want a truly left voice at the front of politics in the UK.

Its possible thats the motivation, but it assumes that when the Tories call on him to resign, that they *actually want* him to resign, and aren't just posturing, ie: pretending that they mean, but in reality are doing it in order to further the public narrative of him being a weak/bad leader, and thus unelectable.

Its possibly both these things.

• Locked thread