Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Blair - who people wanted to vote for - is responsible for people not wanting to vote for Corbyn.

I. See.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/836914493976416256

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yes it is bad for Corbyn that he's an ill-prepared, disorganised fuckwit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He's supposed to welcome him in parliament.

But maybe youre right and be couldn't be bothered.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think its ken Clarke.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That video is just spinning for me- hasn't vine shut down?

I'm prepared to give him a chance.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I remember now - isn't there jostling over who gets sworn in first among young new MPs as that'll mean they might be father of the house one day?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Ooh a new poll

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/836913430988795905

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A fascinating statistic

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/836938203777085442

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It'll take some time to recover from the damage he's done.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Miftan posted:

Now is the time it's taking to recover from the long term damage that Neoliberalism (Blair) has done.

What 'recovery'?

That's why they're voting for the centrist, neoliberal Tory party instead. It's a protest vote because Labour isn't left wing enough.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

Blair lost 3 million votes. Milliband lost an election. Owen Smith*

Which was 5 million votes more than a decade earlier, leaving a net gain of 2 million.

The Blair years were a high water mark in labour's history.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn will three line whip against it somehow.

The amendment that is it the rude house.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A lot of people here and elsewhere suggest Corbyn needs to do things which involve him being somehow more aggressive or to-the-point.

The guy simply doesn't have it in him.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

The trouble is that if you want a left-wing Labour party he can't actually go home, not unless there's a rule change allowing a successor.

Are you suggesting an appointed successor rather than one that is voted for by the labour membership?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Of course not. I mean a successor as in one who originates from the same wing of the party and has similar views on the important issues.

Are you talking about a reduction in the number of nominations required?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

As someone who is so interested in the leadership of the Labour party I refuse to believe you're unaware of the proposed rule change needed to enable a leader from the left of the party to succeed Corbyn.

The only rule change I've heard of is the reduction in the percentage of MPs needed to nominate a candidate - are you referring to something else?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The mother of a friend of my wife was recently judged fit to work at the age of 62 after a lifetime on sickness benefits for mental health issues and chronic epilepsy.

Last night my wife's friend found her mother dead on the floor, following an epileptic seizure most likely brought on by stress.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The confusion has arisen because while labour may support that amendment and others, their insistence on running a three line whip on the unamended bill indicates that their support for Brexit is greater than their desire for rights for EU citizens.

Maybe a bit of grandstanding would help people understand their muddled position because right now they're nothing to anybody.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He's going to step down for Abbott or McDonnell.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I like Amazon lockers.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Might be relevant

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/837448989993742336

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

are you saying that jews might like the party that is friendly to bankers?

I'm saying they may not have found Shami Chakrabarti's report very convincing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Also, council by-elections are meaningless and whoever wins it's really tedious that people keep bringing them up.

The only person here getting animated about it is you.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

So they voted for the people who are more likely to be overtly anti-Semitic? Rather than the secret anti-Semites?

Or they voted for neither whereas in the past they would have voted for Labour.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Nobody's talked about it for hours and the only person to give it much thought was a CDFer desperately attempting to mitigate the loss.

There is, however, one person wha thinks they're worth talking about.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 3, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Tell that to Jeremy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

e. This is the 3rd of 12 monthly threads all based around the idea of what would happen if Marxist thought were applied to the present day.

Karl get iPad.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
While a hard border with Cornwall is unlikely to affect me much I'd rather there wasn't one.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
'It's cornwall's clotted cream'.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

What are you trying to say here

He's saying that Cornwall voted to spend all the money the UK sends to the EU - which is how Cornwall gets its EU funding - on the NHS instead.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pistol_Pete posted:

We'd have had 2 years of pitiful timidity, bland soundbites delivered by robots in suits and extraordinarily contorted triangulations on every conceivable issue.

Instead of the strong, clear, bold leadership labour has now?

I see.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

So that's why they shouldn't expect the thing they successfully voted for to not happen.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

they voted to opt out of eu funding and hmg can now make up the shortfall..if they even need funding now that the fishing industry can get off its knees

The Leave campaign said that money would be spent on the NHS not Cornwall and they voted for it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

Oh absolutely. I holidayed in Devon for the first 20 years of my life. Couldn't believe it when I heard they were redeveloping bantham! But latterly my family have started to prefer cornwall for some reason even though it's another hour in the car. I think the idea is there are fewer common ppl the further you go but they are making inroads even there. Also, waves.

That's a really long holiday.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is he good at drawing?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think we should only jail junkies if they commit a crime.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Such as possession?

I see smackheads popping into boots for methadone so it's possible to be a junky without possessing heroin.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I wonder if that would be the sort of event that could prompt a general election.

Secure a personal mandate for May and her vision for Brexit, increase her parliamentary majority, obscure the reasons for elections in those specific seats and it's probably also a good way of getting around the fixed term parliament act.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Only if any of them are in strong Remain areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

If they were uncertain enough to need to commit electoral fraud to get a win and have to campaign as the people who cheated last time then I can see them taking a big hit.

I think they'd hold each seat with an increased majority. Nobody is going to give a poo poo about the technicalities of the fraud.

• Locked thread