Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ they didn't even rebel to vote for the amendments they were publicly calling for, you think they'd have voted for total political suicide?

Namtab posted:

Apparently Theresa is mad about the grammar schools going into the budget because she thinks there's other priorities. Which seems weird considering one would expect she'd see the budget early what with living next door to the guy who wrote it.

Really? Maybe she's just mad they're making people even more annoyed about the budget - she was sure in favour of them before and it's not like much has changed. She came into the job with the UK canoe heading for Brexit Falls and she was still hella about them grammars

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh well in that case, good :rip:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Is that the House of Commons?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

He couldn't convince me to brush my teeth.

Do you identify as a teeth brusher?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TinTower posted:

Green Party Conference actually passed a pretty decent trans policy last year, which passed several hundred to eight.

So now those people (who include Bea Campbell) are now called the Hateful Eight.

That kinda makes them sound like a gang in a Tarantino film though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Protectionism will have the trade deals flooding right in

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The tabloids are going after people living on taxpayer handouts again

The Mail has something similar going on except there were two women at his party so they're obviously on the cover

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The figures have emerged but we don't have the high scores yet

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

quote:

Q: Has the government made an assessment of the economic impact of leaving with no deal?

Davis says not since he has been secretary of state.

There was an assessment before the referendum, but that assessment has not turned out to be robust.

:yayclod:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

Are Rupert Murdoch & Paul Dacre big fans of Charles? Seen a few stories about skipping over him, hard not to think of this as a counter to that.

I assumed it was the 'William is a Remoaner' thing, maybe though

Dominic Raab just asked questions that basically come down to "are you getting a sense everything's going to be fine, win-win, win-win?"

ugh Gove is in here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

"Oh it's quite plain how it will work out, I'm just not quantifying it yet"

lol "I spent most of my working life before politics in business, you often know a good deal without having the specific numbers"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

rigorous feels-based economic planning and analysis rooted in a firm foundation of baseless optimism. how can we possibly lose?

e:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/841960986374479873

i wonder if he's, e.g., spoken to the irish government about this

He said he did but the whole thing is waffly as hell. "Everything should just work out fine we don't anticipate any problems, this sort of underpins the peace process after all!"

Then the Tory who asked about this said "ok so this is a work in process as well" and he got real mad

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gove's contribution to this select committee so far has been 'what great things do our friends in Europe want to see Britain achieve' and 'what exciting, scintillating, incredible opportunities does Britain face'

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

Unless this David Davis guy is playing 8 dimensional chess and is actually insanely good at acting like an incompetent, the press was right, he is a wastrel lol

"All forecasts are bullshit"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cerv posted:

"nicking all their voters" didn't happen
2010 Lib Dem went to 2015 Labour several times over more than went Tory

which dropped the LD vote down to 2nd place or lower all over the south, but didn't raise the Labour vote up to 1st. allowing the Tories to win seats.

Not so much though apparently

*squints* looks like about... 33.33337% more Labour than Tory

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Why would the lead guitarist buy you an office chair? That's just gonna look silly

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The Functioning Opposition smiles as it waves its hands in arcane patterns, revealing the true and hidden nature of all things. "That bad stuff? It's actually... bad"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Paxman posted:

It would certainly be an interesting experiment to see if Labour's polling picked up in those circumstances. Labour made gains in England in the last election under Ed Miliband who had his faults, though it lost far more seats in Scotland. I'm not sure the public has suddenly embraced fascism in the past 24 months and it should be possible at least to carry on making small gains in England (I'd love to be optimistic about Scotland too but I don't really know what's happening there). That's far short from what we really want of course, but it does look possible that Labour will actually make losses at the next election, which shouldn't happen.

This is ignoring the whole Brexit thing, it's fundamentally changed the political situation and will have an ongoing effect (through the negotiations and them vs us mentality to the aftermath). Really the Tories shouldn't be as insanely popular as they are right now - even assuming the opposition is failing to score points, these are high numbers without anything to justify them. But because the Tories are 'delivering' Brexit, they benefit in terms of approval ratings and a general sense that the country is in safe and sensible hands, that they can get things done. An incumbent party with an assumption of competence is going to do well, even before you factor in the BRITANES CHAMPIGNONS support

Until reality starts to rear its head and all the dreams and promises start to fall like the rains of disappointment, Theresa May is basically the loving Wizard of Oz. The question is whether that support will be eroded as the Brexit terms become more concrete, or if she'll become a kind of wartime PM and benefit from nationalism and the sense that it's all their fault and the Tories are fighting to protect us

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The Royal We I'm guessing

Also looks like someone managed to survey NHS workers without telling them what they're allowed to complain about

quote:

The NHS has been struggling to meet rising demand with a chronic shortage of staff and the results of a survey, published on Friday, suggest that a feeling of constant upheaval is at least partially to blame.

The poll by Wilmington Healthcare UK of more than 2,000 nurses, GPs and hospital doctors across the UK found that 64% blamed staff retention problems on the continuous and “demoralising” national changes in NHS workforce planning that had occurred since 2000.

quote:

Other key factors cited by respondents as adversely affecting the NHS’s ability to retain staff were low morale (92% of respondents) and poor pay and rewards (72%).

quote:

An NHS England spokeswoman said: “This poll is wide of the mark and at odds with our own thorough and robust staff survey which garnered 423,000 responses. It found 80% of frontline NHS staff say they are able to do their job to a standard they are personally pleased with, 90% of staff say their job makes a difference for patients, and 92% of staff feel trusted to do their jobs, which does not seem to suggest a low morale workforce.”

How can workers have low morale when they themselves provide morale?! Case closed!

JFairfax posted:

the absurdity of 'queen smiles' as a headline is only just sinking in, we don't know what she is looking at, she could be smiling at something totally different.

Queen smiles after* Hitler takes power

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 17, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJf5wDGEiug&t=131s

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Don't lie to Pochoclo please

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

lol if you think that when Tony Blair says 'centre' he means 'centre left'

Wonder if he was visiting Trump to see these problems up close

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Do you think his politics have moved to the right since he left office?

Well he hasn't expanded deregulation and private sector involvement in the state or started any more wars since then, so maybe you have a point 🤔

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Talking about editors I saw this yesterday

quote:

Dacre emerges from this book as an isolated and, above all, angry figure with a hatred of the new. He never types at a computer – an assistant sends his emails and his staff’s journalism reaches him on paper rather than on screen – and while the Mail prides itself on having its finger on the pulse of present day “Middle England”, Dacre himself rarely sees anywhere that could be so defined. A chauffeured car takes him to and from the Mail’s offices in Kensington, where he spends between 14 and 18 hours a day on most weekdays, normally leaving only after the first edition has gone to press around 10pm. He usually takes lunch in his office, served by the house butler from silver platters. He never shops and he never takes public transport. “It always amused me that, you know, his shoe leather never wore out,” a former Mail journalist says, observing that Dacre spent all of every day on carpets, from home to office and back again, and “never crunched gravel anywhere”. One day, though this is hard to believe, the bard of Middle England apparently asked at an editorial meeting what an ATM actually did.

The daily routine of any newspaper is structured around meetings, known as conferences, but, to quote a regular attender of them, the Mail’s meetings resemble “this weird loving feudal court” that Dacre (“this shy and awkward, slightly scared chap”) has built around him to make himself more secure. He obtains most of his knowledge of the world via these toadying assemblies rather than any direct contact with humanity beyond the walls of Northcliffe House. The Mail’s campaign to bring the murderers of Stephen Lawrence to book was exceptional for several reasons, not least its origins: Dacre knew the boy’s father, Neville Lawrence, as a decorator who had done work on his home. The joke among Mail journalists was that their editor had had “a near-life experience”.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Private Speech posted:

Perhaps the world just isn't as enlightened (funny how close that word is to the modern 'woke') as we think it is. I'll be damned if I know what to do about it though. And the media certainly aren't helping.

Sure he's not just getting more conservative in his old age, complaining about young people nowadays and how things were better in his day?

People get old and see the world (and their place in it) change, there can be a lot of underlying resentment. Having the media say yes, things are bad nowadays and indulging in blame and prejudice is comforting on some level. It doesn't matter if teenage pregnancies are actually down, he wants to believe that the situation has gone to poo poo since his generation was running things

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That account reads so weird

https://twitter.com/YoungLiberalsUK/status/842839056765607938

How do you do, fellow young persons?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Bern notice

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Don't Lol me posted:

I don't see it that way. This confirms how most don't even question what they consume as they either don't look at neutral or opposing media to their own opinions or worldview.

Sort of the point though - when pretty much every side is mostly running negative coverage (or nothing) and giving a platform to infighting or anyone who wants to criticise Corbyn, because that makes for entertaining news, that's pretty much going to define him for the general public

You can only see unfair treatment if you already have a different impression to contrast it with, and a lot of people won't really have seen anything else. That's partly Corbyn's fault but it doesn't make the treatment any less unfair or inaccurate

Plus it depends on your personal approval - if you don't like someone you're much less likely to be objective and say 'yeah this is unfair treatment'. There's been enough hit pieces (including from within the Labour party trying to sink him) that people think he's an anti-semitic terrorist-lover who wants to destroy Britain's defences and hand over the Falklands etc etc. It's not really surprising people aren't jumping to his defence, if anything it puts his low approval ratings in different light

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps is canon

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

radmonger posted:

The one thing on this thread more consistent than Pissflaps's post are the Corbyn fans in this thread making the claim that he is the only one in the Labour Party in favour of popular policies. Like it was impossible to be in favour of the NHS, higher wages, or rail nationalisation without also supporting unilateral disarmament, the government of.Venezuala, and the whole student politics wish list.

Nobody's saying this - even Corbyn was reluctant to stand for leadership, but it was 'his turn' in the left-wing group that does support all that stuff. And he won because people wanted the things he represents.

But it's incredibly difficult for the left wing to make inroads the way the Labour party currently is, and one of Corbyn's priorities is to reform things so other candidates with the same goals have a chance instead of being shut out forever by the party establishment. He's literally trying to make it possible for a good left-wing candidate to become leader, while the dominant factions are trying to shut that down

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pistol_Pete posted:

I dunno, I reckon the PLP would get behind anyone who isn't Corbyn at this point. Being simultaneously in Opposition AND having most of your party membership disagreeing with you must be pretty draining: I bet most of the PLP would be relieved to be able to draw a line and move on.

Why would you think that? The PLP was hostile to the very idea of a Corbyn since the leadership race began, and they've fought him all the way at the expense of the party. They even set up a new opposition group, with rich donors offering a ton of funding to oust him. There's been talk of splitting off and keeping the Labour name. There's been a steady stream of stories where Labour MPs have been briefing against him, and within months of his election there was a plan to overthrow him after the EU referendum (complete with a media blitz to inflict maximum damage)

Point is whatever Corbyn's faults, the PLP are responsible for starting this internal war, and the damage it's done to the party and their own standing. They didn't immediately start attacking him because they could see the future, they did it because they're ideologically opposed to what he stands for, and they don't want the balance of power shifting. It's not about Corbyn at all

Obviously 'the PLP' is a bit handwavey and I'm sure there are lots of MPs who just want any kind of fresh start, but there are internal power structures that successfully pushed this undermining campaign in the first place, there's an establishment that will absolutely do what it can to roll things back and make sure the left wing never gets a chance again

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

baka kaba posted:

TinTower posted:

Green Party Conference actually passed a pretty decent trans policy last year, which passed several hundred to eight.

So now those people (who include Bea Campbell) are now called the Hateful Eight.

That kinda makes them sound like a gang in a Tarantino film though

Just revisiting this comment to say I'm a dumbass :negative:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

and i must meme posted:

Why is May so popular?

I just don't get it

Cameron peaced out and she stepped in to run the country, and the other candidates were real bad
She spouted a bunch of misty-eyed platitudes about helping everyone and people took it at face value
She's like Boudica or some poo poo, leading the charge against the hated EU and leading Britain to its destined glorious future, also there'll be cake!
For some reason people don't really care that the Tories are destroying everything anymore, they barely even have to say 'b-but the deficit' these days. Pissflaps will tell you this is all Corbyn's fault because nobody knows if a thing is bad unless Labour tells them it is

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

The idea that the effectiveness of an opposition is not related to how the public perceives a government is utter delusion.

Yeah that would be pretty silly, good thing nobody said that eh!

Or implied the other extreme, that public perception is entirely driven by what the opposition does, hey waiiiiit a second here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's bang out of order, implying we have a plan

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

So that Sky News or whatever wordcloud was completely accurate then

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Which one?

I forget what it was, people had photos of a TV where they'd made a word cloud about the most common reasons cited by people on each side. It was from something like a debate, not as official as an actual election survey. Gets brought up whenever people say 'it wasn't about immigration!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the word cloud created from focus groups conducted with ex labour supporters about why they were no longer going to vote labour? And it had CORBYN in massive letters right in the middle?

Get a dream diary god

• Locked thread