Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kustomkarkommando posted:

Excuse me but Gerry Adams was never in the IRA don't you know

Fun story involving my uncle in law and Gerry Adams.
Back in the early 80's some IRA guy was shot dead, forget who was only 2 at the time.
He was from a family in my grandmother's area. So my whole family knew their older family not the dead young guy.
Anyway my uncle in law was a mad bastard back then, a real chuckie but to cowardly to do anything.
Also back then he had a big gently caress off bushy brown/black beard and wore glasses like Gerry Adams.
Our whole family decided no to go to the funeral, we didn't know the dead guy really and we knew there was going to be RUC police at it taking pics and videos.
But dumb gently caress uncle-in-law went.
When he got to the funeral he had a crowd around him at all times, shaking his hand, thanking him for coming, etc.
He didn't twig that they all thought HE was Gerry Adams until he saw police constantly watching him and taking pics of the car he drove in with (his own).
We got the local newspaper the next day asking if it was Gerry or our uncle in law as they were doubtful if they should run a story on it or not.

Edit: Fun legend No 2.
The legend why the lifts in Stormount have curtains on the mirrors.
I was told this when I worked there for 6 months, not sure if true or not.
One day Ian Paisley Snr was running to the lift and shouted to hold it from whoever was inside.
The person held it, but it was Gerry Adams, and it was too late to get out.
So both in the lift, they stared away from each other. But the lift had mirrors. So they were looking at each other backs.
A request to fit the lifts with curtains came shortly after.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Di-Di-Di-Dementia

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, never worry, there's nothing racist about that. When I hear someone say they like Northern Irish accents I assume there's something wrong with them.

http://www.irishcentral.com/culture/craic/northern-irish-accent-voted-the-sexiest-in-the-uk

Suck it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'll always remember when I used to go to the Boys' Brigade over at the Castlereagh Road and I was asked, "Why does your brother sound normal but you sound posh?" and I'll always be hung up on it. I've twice (once on my way out of a job interview and the second time in Manchester, of all places) had people ask me if I was variously American or Canadian or if I'd lived there because of my accent and that's even more confusing. I don't get it.

Of course, I reckon I've always resented the sound of my own voice so there's probably some deeper neuroses at play.

Yeah, its a weird thing you will notice about Northern Ireland.
My cousins are the same, all raised in the same house for 20 years, one has a clear non-specific accent, another has a real rural farmer one.

Another thing we all have, we talk faster than most other regions in the UK.
I live in the south now, and have to consciously slow down for other english main language speakers.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

EDIT: I'm still :psyduck: at 4% UKIP voting for remain.

Wives who pretend to support UKIP otherwise the husbands would beat them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

LemonDrizzle posted:

Neither the Cabinet Office nor the Department for Exiting the EU knows how many negotiators are available to the government for the talks on leaving the EU, or what qualifications those unknown negotiators do or do not have:

I am enconfidencefied!

I know the maximum bound for that.
1 per every other country in the EU.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Pochoclo posted:

Well, on the one hand, quality of life in Britain will decrease around 30%, but on the other hand, we will TAKE BACK CONTROL... so that we can erode workers' rights and decrease quality of life for the non-rich another 30% or so.

This.
As long as the SE of England thinks it has control, some posh Etonian can decide how things will go, chin chin upper lip best of britain!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
UKMT April 2017 - Who would have guessed N.Korea would last longer than the UK.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Pantsuit posted:

Brexit is a death cult at this point

This is our dying poo poo heap now! We now control it! Long live the poo poo heap!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Namtab posted:

I was a working class kid who got good results at the grammar school.

Still an oik.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

Theresa May's reign has been gently caress up after gently caress up, unpopular policy after unpopular policy. The only thing she's doing that people like is Hard Brexit. From Grammar Schools to the NI raise for the self-employed, toadying up to Donald Trump, the relatively common U-turns after less than a year in office. With a better opposition that wasn't more interested in its own in-fighting, she's right there for the taking.

No one will want leadership until Brexit is signed and over and done with.
She was the sacrificial lamb, whether she knew it or not, when she stepped up to take over. No one else wanted it that badly apart the extreme nutters like loving Gove and loving Boris.
She was the least worst of the group who wanted it, same as Trump.
Her legacy was written from the beginning, she is the PM who signed Brexit, and no other Tory has the balls to take that over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Pissflaps is an Old so university was probably free or something back when he was a whippersnapper.

I'm an Old.
All of my uni was free with a grant, it paid for my rent and supposed food.
I lost 5-6 stone eating nothing by a small tin of beans, one potato waffle, 2 slices of bread, and some brown rice every day for 4 loving years.

• Locked thread