Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

and i must meme posted:

lol and all the original neoliberal guys worried that any more state planning would lead to the end of democracy
turns out no holds barred capitalism is entirely consistent with authoritarianism

This has been acknowledged fact for decades when examining South America or Africa if you only look at post ww2 history and has been true at the start of capitalism otherwise.

Capitalism has only consistently stood for the rich and powerful to remain so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hopefully nothing dramatically stupid happens in the Labour camp and they can make a dramatic and popular fight to keep that in the bill.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

The vote breakdown is quite interesting:

Why is it interesting? That's basically how they voted in the Commons, only the proportions of people is different.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Labour voted with the Government in the Commons. People got quite mad about it, three line whip & all that. Remember?

And they voted for amendments about ensuring the rights of EU citizens to stay as well, which failed because of a Tory majority in the Commons.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

Dunno, I suppose I just found it interesting that all the Labour peers voted for the amendments and wanted something to say in the body of the post. I apologise for posting something that actually turned out to be something very uninteresting.

Fair enough (no need to apologise). I'd say it was more good than interesting though.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Aren't the amendments just "government must try real hard to secure x/y/z" which means the government can just say they couldn't manage it?

The amendment backed by the Lords requires the government to introduce proposals within three months of Article 50 to ensure EU citizens in the UK have the same residence rights after Brexit.

So not really, although I guess as parliament is sovereign they can probably just ignore it if they want to.

Pochoclo posted:

"Unelected peers" is a bit hypocritical when the PM was not, uh, actually elected, and neither were Farage and Johnson and pretty much all the ministers. Also lol because if the Queen agreed with Brexit you bet your rear end they wouldn't call her "unelected queen".

I'm pretty sure all the leaked stuff about the Queen says she wanted to leave.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

A parcel got signed for by my neighbour and they're shouting through the door that they aren't going to open up, so, confused.

Pretend to be someone delivering another package to yourself but you're out so you'd like to leave it with them. That'll get them to open up.

Alternate comedy answer: Sorry, they're taking your drugs and watching your copy of Frozen and you'll never get either back.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

^^^^^^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is happening with that house, but during the day things seem pretty normal and friendly and regular, then when the sun goes down everything just gets weird as described, so I think I'll put a pin in this until tomorrow.

As well as the many plausible reasons offered I'd also suggest that they're fearful of bailiffs coming around. Communication through the letterbox is the only safe means of speaking to bailiffs.

Guavanaut posted:

Different thread, but it's more relevant to UKMT than Youtube. There's an anti-radicalization CYOA where no matter what you do your character becomes more and more fash before eventually getting involved with sufficiently celtic terrorists. that I saw a few days ago, I think it's part of Saatchi's anti far right campaign. I can't find it anywhere now though.

How the gently caress does that work? Sounds about as effective as insisting that weed is a gateway drug to injecting heroin into your balls.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

If they were uncertain enough to need to commit electoral fraud to get a win and have to campaign as the people who cheated last time then I can see them taking a big hit.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Never on the first date, no matter how sexy your accent is.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I wonder if we will/have reached a point where there'll be a front page of a newspaper making a bombshell claim and the front page of another newspaper being a rebuttal of that claim on the same day?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

jabby posted:

Even getting away from Corbyn, it's a pretty poorly worded poll all around. For example:

"Who do you think is most responsible for losing Copeland? (tick all that apply)"

How can more than one thing be most responsible?

Further proof that British people couldn't have dealt with a PR electoral system.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

TinTower posted:

From PYF:

Sounds familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkYHNO2vNG4

A rough summary of how Britain will negotiate.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Reviews gave it a five tentacles up.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Left SR but probably only due to me being a little poo poo on 1917 Russian political things like the Duma and semantics about strongly agree or just agree.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Hahaha. Now I have your sperm.
\

I was going to use a pigs head but yikes a lot of those pictures are like something out of an anime.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Smoking is bad.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I agree with Steve.

Remember Corbyn is roughly proposing the Norwegian social democrats platform.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Just loving lol at Corbyn being called "left wing extremist" by anyone.
The media and people in general seem to have no loving idea of what left wing politics even are.

It's because everyone to the left of Angela Merkel gets described as leftwing by at least one newspaper so from a societal level it's literally true than no one knows (or agrees) what it means.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

We're going to drive ourselves to extinction long before we can program a robot to do it for us.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jeza posted:

We believe in nussing Lebowski. Nussing!

But of course no one has said anything like this -- because there are no nihilists. The confrontation at the bowling alley at the end of Big Lebowski summarizes ethical philosophy at the end of the twentieth century: brainless Americans confronting even stupider Germans, one of whom brandishes his great-grandfather's cavalry saber, a slapstick relic of the mad daring with which the Europeans entered the twentieth century. The Germans mouth nihilist cliches ("Ve beliefs in nossink!"), while the Americans say simply "What's mine is mine!" The Americans win because they, at least, mean what they say: their chump change is theirs, and they'll fight to the death for it. The Germans don't even understand, let alone mean, their nihilist bluster; they are "laughable, man!" as the Jesus-Man would put it, their claims merely a cover for their pitiful state as parasites on the culture which wrested the world away from them. It's not that they believe in nothing; they ARE nothing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Evil evil EU, turning a bunch of disparate broken states into the most prosperous (for the average inhabitant) region on Earth through unprecedented cooperation and colluding into the most powerful trading block ever. How dare it.

And then using that economic clout to the detriment of weaker trading partners while also erecting serious barriers to entry for those worst affected by this strategy, as well as awful internal settlement policies leading to smugglers and The Jungle in Calais as well as the disappearance of thousands of child refugees.

It's not all sunshine mate.

Edit: Not even starting on the internal market restriction implications and the Euro.

namesake fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 7, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

The refugee stuff is more about the EU not behaving as a union though, acting like it's a private issue for each individual country to deal with and too bad if you're on the EU border. If they'd actually developed an EU-wide system to process and relocate refugees and put resources in place where they're needed then it would have gone a lot better. I don't really think making that separation official would improve things

Jedit posted:

It's still better than war, which we've managed to avoid in Europe for 72 years. The EU is by no means perfect and it does need reform, but it's far better than the alternative.

The EU was founded on and principally developed as a functioning market, not a functioning state. That was the priority and everything else was bodged, rushed or not even done. This is why the EU is bad. Even if it had properly built a European state and replaced individual nationalism with European nationalism it would still be bad because it would be acting more like the USA under a Democrat president but actually bordering Russia, it wouldn't help the poor or the non-European any more than now.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Why am I not surprised that there are so many earnest anime likers itt

Obsessing over crude and hamfisted fictional depictions of reality and serious under and overtones of paedophilia and child rape are parts of British culture.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

Im really glad you are seeing the good side in brexit but dont be down on how it was won. I think it's unrealistic to expect any referendum campiagn to present all the positions. As that thing I posted by Dominic Cummings showed, one big reason why Leave won was message discipline especially in the final stretch.

Unfortunately I can only imagine that the Tory CAP replacement will be just openly giving money to landowners while not even having environmental or biodiversity requirements.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Rakosi posted:

I mean, this is really kind of bad. Not one EU nation is going to give the UK favourable terms in negotiations if they know offering bad terms will get the whole Brexit thing voted against in parliament. It's completely hamstrung the government and the only thing worse for the prospects of the UK going solo in the future is a negotiating government now with no cards in their hand at all.

Bad..... for the Tories!

I'm anti-EU to be sure but I'm not blind to the realities of what leaving will do. Proponents of both camps, I am yours to woo!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

feedmegin posted:

There's only one camp itt, even Tess isn't representative of mainstream Leave.

That was more of a general statement, but naturally I don't expect the mainstream Leavers to try and appeal to me.

baka kaba posted:

Sure, but it has the potential to solve these EU-wide problems in an effective way, instead of letting members struggle and enabling the right wing to exploit that. The way it was actually handled was almost as if the EU didn't exist at all, so I wouldn't really characterise it as a failure of the EU as a concept. A failure to act like an organisation, definitely, but the alternative without the EU would basically have been the same situation

Eh, it's selfserving to assume that the alternative to the EU is 'nothing', even if that has been the most likely alternative. The reforms needed to the EU and Europe to make it a united area are so revolutionarily transformative that it's basically remaking the EU from the ground up anyway, let alone the changes needed to make it a leftwing united area.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 7, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Long live the eternal posting science of marxist-leninist-mangaism.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The thread has reached the weird and creepy zone where someone edits weird photos and endlessly discusses crap anime rather than anything political.

*sniffs, grabs nose*

Thish.... is not ideology.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Talking about the size of memberships eh? Want to see mine? It's rather large!

*wiggles eyebrows suggestively*

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

I didn't read that - reporting on the actual budget's effects seems to be terrible. I was commenting on the quoted comment though. I guess it's fine as long as it's progressive.

I still think large accumulations of wealth and high incomes should be taxed more aggressively. I'm happy to pay more myself if it means they tax capital gains on the order of my income as if it was income.

EDIT:

According to the BBC these Class 4 contributions which are being increased only go up to £43,000. Anything you earn above that is taxed at a flat 2%. Which is bullshit.

Abolishing the Class 2 contributions helps out the poorer self employed but the set up of Class 4 is dreadful. I know NICs all have this weird cap but it's so loving irritating and pointless; is there really any value to not have it operate closer to normal taxation?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Good lord. Everyone click this and check the other graphs; Tory mismanagement of the economy has totally hosed any recovery since 2008, the stupidly optimistic productivity growth forecasts still indicate growth slowing in the coming years and if you want to be a doomsayer the employment figures are just turning downwards which is very, very bad.

Pissflaps posted:

Can't help but notice that Jeremy isn't in it.

Because he whipped the Labour Party to vote for it?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

The OBR staff are politically neutral and have produced forecasts that were awkward for Tory chancellors in the past. The pre-2010 forecasts in that chart would have been based on Gordon Brown's spending plans; the revisions after Gideon took over and went for full-on austerity rather than stimulus are perfectly reasonable.

Agreed on the neutrality but you can't look at that particular graph and think anything but 'forecasts more than a year out are trash and shorter ones are probably also trash'. Modelling real economies is basically impossible but I don't understand the mentality which consistently projects rocket trajectories which don't materialise outside of rapid industrialisation.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

My understanding is that the OBR would ideally like folks to stop putting so much weight on their forecasts given how wide the confidence bands are on them.

While that's fair given the difficulty of their job if they want that to happen they should stop providing 'hard' figures and provide forecast ranges with the reason that it's impossible for them to just draw a line and be right.

All analysis on BBC so far is 'why didn't he talk about Brexit' and the tiny NI contribution change, we're literally doing better analysis ITT.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

This shouldn't come as a surprise, but that is what they provide. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/KatieAllenGdn/status/839503208796028929

No I mean forget the (future) purple lines entirely, they're misleading when the level of accuracy is low.

Obviously they'd have to calculate them to get the forecast but they shouldn't appear in their presentations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Hell yeahs, let's get that 'wages at revolutionary stagnation' level going!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Living in no where Wales I laugh at your "coffee shops". When I need refreshment I strain the blood out of a sea otter.

I think this means you either live in an English or REALLY crappy part of Wales: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Italians

Puritan drinking laws are a boon to social relations!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It's funny because everyone goes 'Oh Eastern Europe, so corrupt!' and yet we have tons of it from directorships for exiting civil servants and MPs, Tories breaching election spending rules and nepotism favouring Tory areas and also everyone just shrugs and agrees that's what Tories do.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Good because the requirement to buy annuities only was super stupid

Osborne did a real solid there on pension freedom

Now they can be (purely) small investors or buy to let landlords instead! Nothing bad ever happens to them, nor do they have negative consequences for society!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Fangz posted:

I am sat in a restaurant and a table over is a bunch of Tory political types. They are talking about the lib dems I think.

Are we talking Tory voters, Tory politicians or Young Tories at university?

Paint me a word picture.

• Locked thread