Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
When will exciting company demian maia finally get his first title shot before time runs out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

Chael thinks that about everyone he fights to be fair

Yeah for a steroid life long wrestler he's exceptionally weak which always makes me wonder if he really does have awful balls. But then also I remember an interview where he didn't believe that anyone else trained for more than one hour per day, and tahts why it was so easy to keep a day job

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
We must waste no time in cutting Daniel cormier

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I didn't think khabib cut much weight

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

yes and no. they could lose weight now and make the actual weight cut easier, of course, but nobody is going to do that because we like seeing the most muscular guys we can punch each other. that's why we spend money on UFC. Nobody wants to see average body johny hendricks step into the octagon.

Athletic commissions & UFC sort of do have a stopwatch and starter pistol when fighters begin cutting weight. usually it begins when they arrive in town for the fights a few days before the fight and speeds up as they closer to weigh-ins. The earlier deadline clearly fucks with a lot of dudes who used to use every available hour on the final day. There are simply fewer hours now to do the final part of the cut, which is a problem for a lot of guys out there.

You could just start your water/sodium cycling 9 hours earlier, or arrive in Vegas 9 hours earlier, or start your camp 9 hours earlier. It's not that big of a deal, and lots of people missed weight before early weigh ins. Is there evidence to suggest a higher proportion of fighters are missing weight now, and can we decouple that from usada's increased controls?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Also, crucially, does anyone know why he was hospitalized

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Las Vegas only has one arriving flight time.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Donna, from the travel department, books every flight to arrive at the same time always and on the same day. Which is convenient, because los Vegas,where all fights happen, only has one arrival time.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Both gsp and bisping own

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Lid posted:

Standing with Jacare is difficult because assuming he doesn't kill you on the ground he hits like a truck. I like Whittaker too, but Jacare is almost uncrowned champion level of talent like Machida during Rashad's reign.

He just lost to yoel like two fights ago, and since then he's beaten vitor

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Woodley is cool and has shark eyes, which he hides using 90s grandma glasses.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
jon jones rules, and is the best

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

tumor looking batty posted:

Was the Rory fight good to watch? I can't remember.

Oh good god no

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think MMA fighters should collectivize and negotiate a bargaining agreement, and also I think I don't want to ever here anyone complain about getting paid only 100k for working out for 8 weeks

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
If you wanted 250k he could have fought, or gotten a job in IT

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Well just the IT one then

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Daniel cornier made a video of him dancing to a parody of all about that bass, except it was about fried chicken. One assumes it was for a commercial and not strictly for love of the game

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Chuck didn't get knocked out by jardine

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
People would use IVs to help mask the use of diuretics

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Don't you dare talk trash about the horch

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

if you're not going to truly randomize testing then and you're actually going to test some people more than others than i'd probably focus on the people who have popped for steroids before. especially under the old system where all they'd do is wave a geiger counter in your direction as you walked back to the dressing room from the cage.

for real though dj probably just lives around the corner from piss HQ and it's just an easy way to keep the numbers up.

They do test cheats more often

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
They also said they test people who fail the eye test more often than average

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Lots of karate guys fight strong hand lead

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Isn't there some spergy "real" rankings somewhere?

Fight matrix.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

JaySB posted:

I'm putting together an interview series for YouTube. What fighters would you most like to see interviewed?

Gomi, Jake shields, Ricardo arona, Jared rosholt

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I don't want a bunch of people acting like Chael and Conor. I don't even want those guys acting like themselves

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Nate diaz redid the payscale for Nate diaz by negotiating to a much worse deal, then negotiating back to a deal with ppv points like every other person. Brilliant move by Conor or Nate or whoever

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

But I really want to see this fight. Extremely hittable featherwight vs welterweight guy who can't throw a punch.

Also don't understand why people are continuously talking about height/reach as if they are the defining factor in fights. Lots of successful, short fat fighters, Kelvin exists within a time honoured tradition. I mean, maybe Dhalsim would keep him at range?

Reach is one of the factors most strongly correlated with success in striking sports

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

tesilential posted:

Source? The study I've seen found that almost all champions have a reach that is longer than their own height or some poo poo, but I haven't ever seen anything outright saying a taller guy beats a shorter opponent more than 50% of the time.

Of course it's an advantage, but so is being faster or stronger than your opponent, which the shorter guy often is. IMO MMA had way too many variables to claim height is one of the most important. If you are taller and a better wrestler than your opponent however....

Success isn't winning a fight, success is being the champion

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Like you don't use stats to predict how a dice roll will turn out, you use them to predict expected results over many dice rolls

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i get what you're saying but you should also use stats to predict how a dice roll will turn out

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I don't mean to be indelicate but what the gently caress are you talking about? Did you go to high School

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
What kind of predictions would you make about a single die roll and what kind of stats would help you make that prediction

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

I boldly predict that there is a 1 in 6 chance the die will land on 4, because statistically there are six sides on this die and one of them is 4

I submit this for the consideration of the MacArthur Genius Grant to fund me staying at home for a year to play Dungeons and Dragons all day, to better understand the probability of single die rolls for other sizes and shapes of dice

That's not a prediction, and also, is an untrue statement

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Most people don't know poo poo about boxing

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
My study is that after Mayweather/Pacquiao Lennox Lewis looked directly into the camera and said "sometimes you just can't do anything to overcome a reach advantage" and his poo poo eating grin was so wide it was in danger of splitting his head in half

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

are you being really obtuse about the use of the word "prediction" here or what

If you roll a die one time, what is the predicted outcome

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Have you been to high school

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

No no no you got it all wrong. Once you roll the die, the same number is less likely to come up. So if I roll a 4, because doubles only have a 1 in 36 chance I know that there's only a 1 in 36 chance of getting another 4. Other numbers are more due.

Just like with slot machines. Especially the computerized video ones.

That is the opposite of true. If you rolled a sufficiently high numbe of times you would expect an approximately even distribution of results. If you rolled a 4 five times in a row, the odds of rolling another 4 is 1/6. The rolls are independent, and previous results don't give you any more predictive power.

This discussion is extremely tagential and was brought up simply to illustrate that some fool didn't understand prob & stats (don't remember which fool), but instead it seems to be illustrating that many fools don't understand many things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Maybe I have you confused, but I thought you were the real judo footlock guy so I just erred on assuming you were a cretin. My apologies

• Locked thread