Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Memento posted:

Well, one of the judges from that fight has a restraining order against him, taken out by Ray Longo, who is one of Stephen Thompson's coaches. So considering there's a vague (note that I said vague) chance that the judging won't be irreparably compromised, yeah, maybe.

We need an :mmajudging: emote where it's just a picture of Cecil Peoples doing that retarded little ki-YA before a fight he always did.

The judging in the last fight was fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Liquid Communism posted:

You realize the solution to this is fighters fighting in a weight class that doesn't require them to drop 10-20% of their body weight to make weight.

How do you propose to regulate that?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

You can't really, other than financially penalizing them for backing out of fights due to cutting issues or turning up overweight so they stop taking fights under what they can comfortably cut to on short notice.

If I were to take a swing at a way to do it rules-wise, something like the NCAA wrestling guidelines would be a good place to look for ideas.

Well they already get penalized by either not being paid if the fight is called off, or losing a percentage of their purse if they cannot make weight and the fight goes on.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That wouldn't be better. Then you'd have dehydrated as poo poo guys on fight night.

The only real solution is USADA-like weight checks during camps to make sure you aren't x% above your fight weight.

You'd probably just end up with fighters who were dehydrated and undernourished throughout camps.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sprecherscrow posted:

That fight holds the all time record for widest gap between boringness of the fight and awesomeness of the finish.

Nah, not even close. It wasn't that bad of a fight. Mir/Crocop probably holds that honor.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

It wasn't though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Khabib will likely retire next year, according to his dad

The guy who never fights will continue to not fight? That's a huge scoop.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Triticum Guzzler posted:

whoops i misremembered, he's actually a southpaw trained to fight orthodox

This seems more common. De La Hoya and Cotto were both notable lefties who fought orthodox.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Silva is still dangerous in bursts and could certainly cause trouble for a short fat guy who is going to have to bully his way inside, though I think Kelvin is the favorite. He doesn't have Weidman's length or his power and I don't think he will find it as easy to wrestle Anderson.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Refusing to fight who the UFC wants and demanding more money is definitely the best path to riches, look at raging Al Iaquinta pulling down a sick 3 percent per on craftsman bungalows in Uniondale.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Current version of Hendricks is not the same guy GSP fought.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I think that Kelvin is being overrated now and Anderson is being underrated now, and I think this despite liking Kelvin and not really liking Anderson.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kelvin is a little over a year removed from losing a fight to Neil Magny, a fight in which he had a lot of trouble early with Magny's size and reach. Since then he's beaten Hendricks, who was coming off of a brutal KO loss and hard poops, Tim Kennedy, also coming off of a brutal KO loss and being old as poo poo and not fighting for three years, and Vitor, coming off of, well, nothing good for a long time.

It's very possible that none of those guys will be in the UFC anymore by year end. Gastelum is a very good welterweight, but he's way too small for middleweight and I'm not so sure Anderson won't be the guy to make that obvious.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

The point you're making isn't as you against the world as you're making it sound. Anderson is still a lethal striker and everyone acknowledges this,its just that a lot of people don't think he's likely to out fight someone like Kelvin. I'm picking Kelvin to win, but I don't think many monocles will pop if Anderson Silva hits someone hard.

I'm not saying that Anderson has a punchers chance, I'm saying that Kelvin is little and he's not going to be able to do what Weidman did without learning how to grow four inches before the fight, and consequently I think it's a much tougher fight than people are making it out to be. The additional leverage Silva's height and reach provide is going to make it hard for Kelvin to take him down, it's going to put Kelvin in more danger in the clinch, and it's going to put him in more danger trying to get close enough to land. I just don't think he's big enough for the division.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

BlindSite posted:

That was when he was fighting at 170 and really struggling to make weight and it was before he moved to Kings and started training full time with cordeiro.

He has markedly improved since then. In fact he's looked better in every fight at 185.

No one expected him to beat Kennedy in the gdt and he loving dismantled him.

He had Lockhart working with him for that fight and said he felt great and was near weight for his whole training camp. He also trained at Kings for that fight.

Prior to the Kennedy fight some people pointed out that Kennedy was old as hell and on a 3 year layoff that could seriously affect him.

He's looked better, but how much of that is due to fighting old men with one foot out the door? This seems a lot like the "Steven Thompson is the uncrowned champ of 170" talk where a guy goes on a little tear and suddenly he's an unbeatable monster, and the questions about them just get glossed over with "well, he's better now, so those losses don't matter."

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

david carmichael posted:

That is the opposite of true. If you rolled a sufficiently high numbe of times you would expect an approximately even distribution of results. If you rolled a 4 five times in a row, the odds of rolling another 4 is 1/6. The rolls are independent, and previous results don't give you any more predictive power.

This discussion is extremely tagential and was brought up simply to illustrate that some fool didn't understand prob & stats (don't remember which fool), but instead it seems to be illustrating that many fools don't understand many things

I believe he was joking.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

Will a better fighter without a reach advantage find ways to overcome another fighters reach advantage?

How are you deciding who is the better fighter as distinct from their physical qualities?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Romero was clean and pretend I posted a list of every fighter who hasn't tested positive as a counterpoint to your very bad post about physique.

Romero wasn't clean, he just wasn't intentionally dirty (or made a convincing case to that effect).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mayorga would have been a great opponent for McGregor 15 years ago.

• Locked thread