Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

TBeats posted:

well gently caress

nice knowin you guys

You did say "or arent the tax returns of the current president of the US" so grammatically you're in the clear. Next time word your Toxx better.

Although definitely worth the doggo donation, which was the real payoff from all that buildup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Don't forget

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/841967881516679168

And he's gonna do a MAGA rally tonight for some more crazy

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

KildarX posted:

I can't imagine why Rachel Maddow would put out a wet fart, a couple of seconds of googling says MSNBC and her show specifically are doing fantastic ratings, so it's not like they're hurting for ratings at all. Is this sort of an attempt at death by a thousand paper cuts sort of deal? Where regardless of the inanity of it such as "Trump loves burnt steak with ketchup." "These tax returns don't have anything extremely shady, just kinda scummy." they'll post it in an attempt to turn Trump insane?

They may have more, or the push may be to use their reaction to this wet fart to force them to release more. In terms of "2005 was so mundane what do you have to hide with the rest?"

Or the double whammy, they do have more to release, but they're gonna give donnie a public chance to release them first.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It's cause people are getting really dumb when it comes to trying to stick it to trump. No one thinks of the consequences if they're wrong, or if they should wait for supporting evidence. Everyone is trying to be the first with the smoking gun and it's going to backfire so hard

Everyone is redlining their engines doing donuts in the parking lot while the walmart is actually on fire.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 15, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

NSA Wizard C/D?

That's beautiful. Witnessing a spine in the wild for the first time in years. They're not extinct.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

VikingSkull posted:

Maybe, and this is crazy, that's because a majority of people in the US are center or right leaning? I mean, it can't be that, can it?

The current form of capitalism at all costs, absolutely.

I think half of Americans are t voting because neither right wing authoritarianism or centrist dogma speaks to them. You have a whole group of people who are not counted as likely voters in polls because they don't see either party offering anything they want.

Dems would have a chance if they stopped alienating people with anti-gun rhetoric and militant PC ism and shifted more left policy wise.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Office Pig posted:

Speaking honestly, the moment I saw that bit on the Pope was when I entertained the notion that this was possibly a move by Bannon to aid in his Vatican power plays. Of course, the fact there was a whole lot of Trump information taken as well sort of undermines that line of thought.

On an unrelated note, maybe it was a bad idea to allow members of foreign intelligence agencies to come within walking distance of an obvious Trump hotspot?

Hot take: Bannon doesn't care about Trump, he cares about power and using it to cause chaos to his advantage.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

So? She said nothing of substance.

Saying nothing is tacit admission that there is a whole shitstorm brewing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

I just got yanked into a conversation at the bar with a sweet elderly german oma who took an enormous poo poo all over trump & co and then in the same breath went on a lengthy rant about how all those rapist foreigners need to gtfo of her country I think this is my official The Whole World Is hosed turning point

This is my Oma. Literally the same. She's 90 and fled the Russians after the war.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

TBeats posted:

the alternative to deportation is.

The alternate is civil unrest. And whether that is a better outcome depends on you.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The more earnest Bernie is the more effective he destroys the redhats feeble argument.

TBeats posted:

I mean from the perspective of what the administration will try to do. They aren't going to say "this deportation isn't working, so let's try civil unrest."

If they propose something more severe (I don't want to invoke Godwin's law buuuuuut...) I imagine it would be stopped either through courts or protests/civil unrest. But the administration suggesting something like interning all muslims or immigrants is a box that I don't want to open and a slope that I don't want to go down.

Point being they'll double down on deportations and squeezing every penny out of dying poverty stars. Half of what he's tried HAS been stopped by the courts. The point is to imagine what people like me will do when the apparatus of government has given up on trying to protect society from Fascism.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 18, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://youtu.be/LT3Px11xN-0

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If anyone needs a distraction from US politics here's a long tale about how dysfunctional china can be:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/Murder_lucky_hotel

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

FastestGunAlive posted:

Long time conservative dream finally achieved. But has there been a single state where this is already a thing, where the money saved outweighs the cost to implement the program? Guess it doesn't matter though so long as it lets them continue to perceive all poors and minorities as lazy addicts and welfare queens.

It's more about funneling state money to drug testing corporations than it is about preventing crack addicts from getting money.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm a welfare queen ama

Did we ever decide on the new gang tag?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

I can't tell is this a wet fart? I'm starting to feel like anything that doesn't immediately stick will just slide right off.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In more news David Rockefeller keeled this afternoon. Secret illuminatti government is having a bad year.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Monty is currently in tight race, for second, since first is that CSPAM puppet with a heavy lead

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Gobbeldygook posted:

they were born enlisting and also dying in Afghanistan.

Service guarantees citizenship

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly I say run on a leftist economic message, ditch some of the more annoying social justice-y types, ditch gun control and boom you have a recipe for Democratic electoral success.

Hillary had a great economic platform that was way more comprehensive than anyone else's, in either primary and obviously in the general.

But she sure as hell didn't run on it.

Exactly. Attempting to be more centrist won't get you turn out. Appealing as republican light won't get you turnout. Especially among voters under 30 you need progressive policies to build any enthusiasm.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

I really don't want to get recalled from the IRR to go freeze my balls off while getting shelled assembling a river crossing in Best Korea, but I will say that it would almost be worth it if coincided with Big Uns eating a hellfire.

One out of Humvee gets healthcare, one behind follows with GI bill. When the one with the healthcare gets killed, the one who is following picks up benefits and continues.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Terminal Lance linked a nice article about how once Mattis said that this whole poo poo was hosed up and marines need to stop being awful that suddenly people started reporting it. Saint Mattis and all that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Thank you Joe

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Pesticide20 posted:

Manafort and everyone in on the conspiracy to undermine democracy should rot in prison for the rest of their loving lives

A good ole public hanging to reaffirm freedom. Treason is one of those few rare crimes that's capitol F hosed Up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Son of bitch took my name.

You're Adam Serwer? You are going to be detained for political subversion and disagreement with the supreme Haircut.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

cowboy elvis posted:

You know what I'm almost happy Trump won so we can get this allllllll out of our system now and move on with our lives. Or die fighting 14 wars.

4 + 10 civil wars seem a little excessive on the civil side? Surely there will be enough sticks and stones left to get it over in 1?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think some of them might be in a hurry to vote no so they can... something... make fun of Trump and not lose their seats? I'm feeling like a lot of purple state house seats are gonna flip and a lot of centrist dems are gearing up for a hard primary fight for being too spineless. The Freedom caucus and the Tea Party seem to just wanna try to exalt in the chaos in the meantime, but they don't seem to have an actionable plan.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The reasonable "republicans" who are backed in a corner would probably vote a progressive D if it weren't for gun control.

personal freedom and your right to own a gun are easily sold as progressive values, especially at a national level. Just like pro choice means that someone against aborbtion can try to convince you not to do it but can't legally stop you, the same argument applies to buying guns. There are a dozen more ways to attack the problem and being more progressive means you can advocate better mental health as a fairer and more beneficial solution.

Godholio, I have to disagree with what seems to be your position that being more centrist and non comital will motivate anyone, either left or rational republican, to vote.

E; and in current events I just saw a VW commercial staring a couple banging in every different car model as their family grew. It was a good commercial and I can only imagine the small subset of religious hardliners who will object to it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There is nothing to gain by not filibustering Gorusch. If Republicans want him bad enough, they'll change the rules, just like they would the next guy and anyone else they get to nominate.

Yeah, either they get Gorusch through by "compromise" and next time the republicans revoke the filibuster or they revoke the filibuster this time and next time is no different. Either way time is the enemy, the sooner you can demonstrate how horrible the tea party and freedom caucus are for democracy to the majority of Americans the sooner the political landscape will shift.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Too soon. Too soon. I'm crying

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ron Brownstein on CNN "this is the Stranger Things Upside Down" about how the freedom caucus was supposed to be Trumps allies, not his 88th enemy.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I could see Tillerson seeing the full scope of how bad poo poo can get with North Korea and how close it is to happening. He tells Trump he wants out, Trump starts talking to Bolton, and vollah.

Tillerson doesn't want to be in Seoul when it eats a warhead.

Also Tokyo.

Also if the 2 a month production rate has been maintained Norks have 40+ warheads now, who's excited for "sustained nuclear conflict" meaning more than a week and then fallout all over the pacific and America thanks to the jet stream. Nuking cities produces a lot more fallout than glossing desert.

E2; holy autocorrect batman.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 23, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

mlmp08 posted:

Spicer detailing how hosed up a filibuster would be regarding SCOTUS, neglects to mention Garland antics.

What is Hypocrisy Trebek?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Spiced saying technically true things about healthcare while ignoring the reason insurances works:

Essentially "why do people without cancer need to pay for cancer insurance?" :downs:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Pesticide20 posted:

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/844977828772786176

At some point it would probably help to recognize the legitimacy of the DPRK nuclear program

As soon as we legitimize them we can't fight them. Right now we can invade them and say sorry we didn't know they could really do that as canned sunshine ruins southeast asia for the next century.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Iran will just borrow a dozen nukes from NK if the US ever looks like it will invade.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Reverand maynard posted:

Iran isn't that loving stupid.

Its really the only option they have if Trump knocking on their doorstep. Nobody wants to be the next Saddam of Gaddafi. No one stands a chance in conventional engagement, but being the underdog means they can threaten nuclear deployment and not be any worse off in conflict than they already would be. The deterrent in this case is still a lose lose for them, but now at least they can make it visibly too costly for America to strike in the first place. They've already shown large scale cooperation and smuggling between themselves and the DPRK on military tech.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

Weak sauce.

I know poo poo about VPNs but $40 a year, I guess I might as well pull that trigger.

For me the VPN is paid for by the random visa giftcard in lieu of Christmas present I occasionally get. They're great for it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

bird food bathtub posted:

I only dared him to read the first Twilight book. I think I got the short end of that bet, should have been the entire series to get the same kind of suffering.

Made a guy on my boat read Ghost in return for me reading twilight, I know I definitely got the better deal in that trade, but would explain my karma of repeatedly being given that series as unrelated gifts.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Office Pig posted:

How am I even supposed to begin to interpret this?

nothing matters?

nothing matters

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

so I get the self-driving juicy girls when exactly?

The Ghost in the Shell future turned out to be poo poo and the robots all try and kill you anyway.

Luckily it seemed like the Snowcrash timeline we're heading toward had very open views on promiscuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Missionary Positron posted:

Out of curiosity, what systems can counter nuclear capabilities? Accurate & stealthy cruise missiles?

Essentially precision conventional munitions have reached the point where they can mission kill even hardened nuclear launch platforms.

Hypersonic low observable cruise missiles will only do better.

• Locked thread