Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The WSJ editorial page is and has been talk radio for guys who think they're too smart to listen to talk radio. WSJ has maybe the greatest A section in news, then you turn the page one too many times and it's "Supply Side Economics: Still Good" and "Obama: Why Does He Hate America So Much" in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Deathy McDeath posted:

Okay, I'm a total fetal alcohol syndrome baby who is incapable of reading between the lines on the Trump/Russia connection. What's the consensus? Is there something big lurking under there, or is this going to be a huge nothing scandal? More importantly, with what we've seen so far, what's the most banal and innocuous scenario for Trump's people contacting Russian officials throughout the campaign? Were they working on a business deal or something?

Basically, tell me what the most plausible and innocent explanation for this whole thing is. Otherwise, I'm inclined to believe the conspiracy.

The most plausible innocent explanation is that Trump likes inforwars/fringe stuff, and hired people who like the same, and those people tend to be sympathizers to the Putinist Russian perspective for reasons I can't quite comprehend. That explains the contacts between Russia and Flynn (literally got checks from Russian state TV), Manafort (literally got checks from Putin's Ukraine puppet), and Carter Page.

That doesn't explain why Sessions of all people had private meetings with the Russian ambassador though.

I am not confident any of the Justice Department's investigations will come to anything though. I'm guessing the president of the United States and the Attorney General can find a way or two of compromising that investigation, even if officially recused from it. And the republicans in congress will block all scrutiny unless republican voters demand it, which they never will.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I remember long, long ago, when it looked like Rex Tillerson wasn't going to be confirmed based on key GOP senator outrage. He got confirmed no problem. I'll believe that there will be actual GOP votes against this monstrosity when it actually happens.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Once the political system puts guys like Trump in charge, the country is already hosed. The same power structures that led to Trump have done 0 introspection or reform, and Republicans will seek out the next Trump if/when he falls.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

http://thesmokinggun.com/documents/investigation/roger-stone-and-guccifer-913684

quote:

MARCH 8--In the months before Election Day, a longtime confidante and political consultant for Donald Trump was in contact with the Russian hacking group that U.S. intelligence officials have accused of illegally breaching the Democratic National Committee’s computer system and the e-mail accounts of Hillary Clinton campaign officials in a bid to aid Trump, The Smoking Gun has learned.

Edit: whoops I'm late to the party

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 9, 2017

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I remember waiting all primary for the republicans to finally turn on Trump, but that didn't happen then either. They like this stuff now. This is extremely their poo poo.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It cuts taxes for the rich and I'm guessing it makes health insurance companies more profitable so I'm still expecting it to pass.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm deep in the heart of the coastal corporatist liberal hell, a land of starbucks, expensive fad diets, and stupid sport SUVs, and even I don't know anyone who would vote Zuckerberg. Who does he imagine his constituency is? I get looking at Trump and thinking "I'm smarter and richer than him" and no doubt that's true, but Trump has charisma.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I still can't believe that they're actually going through with it.

It's either do what most of them believe is right for the country, or keep their political majority, so obviously it wasn't a very tough decision.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Ryan wants to actually pass legislation, so personally I'd be happy if they shiv him to spend the next 2 years accomplishing nothing.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

You could also save a ton of money in DoD by auditing it but lol at any of the defense establishment / retired generals doing lobbying / fox news talking heads ever tolerating that.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If traveling the stars was possible, we'd all either be in someone's zoo, or enslaved to build monuments to emperor Xenu or something by now. So in a way it's a good thing we're stuck here.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Has anyone explained to this nazi baboon that he actually won the election and has the duties and responsibilities of being the loving president?

No non-yes man is let within 500m.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Grassley has holes in his ancient brain and I can read that tweet both ways. I think it could mean anything and nothing.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

thats the thing. If donnie fucks up constantly for four years (and he will) but democrats are being obstructionists on everything, then come election time its gonna be blamed on the democrats

I thought this way too until the Obama administration happened. Turns out most people think the president is in charge of the economy and all laws, and everything for better or worse is the president's fault. The only people informed enough to recognize obstruction probably already have a political preference so they won't change their votes based on it. There's no price for it. 2/3 of America is blind to it and 1/3 of America won't care.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Godholio posted:

Bull. Where are they going to go? If the Democratic Party isn't left-enough for them, they're not going to vote Trump in 2020. At worst, they stay home (again, in the case of Berniebros). But the Democrats do not have a broad enough base. They have to expand, and the only people available are the moderate conservatives who think the GOP is off its rocker. They're out there...but Hillary pushed them away because she didn't think she needed them.

She was dead loving wrong. She absolutely needed them, and so does the Democratic Party. Pretending we're in Europe and that the Dems aren't really left is a bullshit non-argument. The center in THIS country is what matters, and feigning otherwise is a waste of time. It's a bad wall to keep bashing your head against.

Hillary's entire campaign strategy was about getting moderate republicans in the suburbs to cross over. That's why the convention was an America feel good exhibition with lots of military people and why Hillary went all in on Trump's personal odiousness rather than politics. It didn't work.

You already got the pivot to the center Democrat and you hated her.

Contrast her with Obama, who governed center but ran both times on leftist policy aims, and won handily.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The USMC cares deeply about anyone who makes them look bad in the media.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

They're going to try to make Flynn the fall guy and Trump will do everything he can to derail them saving his rear end (while also making GBS threads on Flynn nonstop).

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Well either Ryan goes down for this too, or nothing matters.

I have bad news.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

VPNs could already sell your stuff, and did. Especially the free ones. This definitely opens up a market for trusted VPNs and ISPs. Any recommendations for a good paid VPN service that has a reputation for being trusted?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Sergg posted:

What would Trump's "tax reform" have been anyways? Pretty sure that'd be designed to screw poor people just as much in the long run. Probably would've cut taxes on capital gains, dividends, the top income bracket, then give a pittance to the poor and middle class, probably a corporate tax holiday so they could onshore billions of dollars tax free.

Lots of poor people think that's good though, because in their minds trickle down is real, and all the talk about "job creators" makes a possibly majority of Americans think that businesses hire people out of some sort of weird charity rather than to make money off their labor. Seeing your pillhead son get his therapy cut and your sister go bankrupt due to medical bills on the other hand moves out of the world of theory and into the uncomfortable place where you might have to admit that sometimes republicans are bad.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The nefarious Obama pulled strings to kill the extremely popular and beloved bill, and when Obama explodes with anger, as he is known to do, Obama will lose all his evil power. I think.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

After so much talk about healthcare, war, corruption and espionage, it's great to kick back and get a chance to be outraged about truly meaningless bullshit for a change.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

These "lol look at this dying Trump voter" takes also reenforce the narrative that poor people put Trump in office, a conventional wisdom that ignores that 90%+ of his voters were ordinary republicans, a group who are better off than average. Any demographic analysis of how Trump got there needs to start with the biggest group: economically comfortable suburban white people who have become radicalized. If you want to understand Trump, you need to look at the guy in the pristine F150 commuting to his office job while ranting about Benghazi and Obamaphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

http://www.theonion.com/article/kidnapped-journalist-forced-explain-isis-captors-w-54485

quote:

HAWIJA, IRAQ—Responding to his captors’ demands that he divulge who he is and what he was doing in the region, kidnapped journalist Tim Cascella reportedly found himself Thursday having to explain to several ISIS militants what BuzzFeed News is. “So, it’s part of a broader digital media network, and it started out as a spinoff from our entertainment content because that made more sense from an advertising perspective, but now it’s a separate news vertical of its own—it reports on stuff like any other news site, I swear,” said a frightened Cascella, who only seemed to perplex and anger his interrogators further when, after being asked to state his background, he mentioned that he got his start writing listicles for the website before eventually moving up to report on actual real-world events. “No, I don’t have a physical copy; it’s only online. We’re sort of like Huffington Post, if you’re familiar with that, but for a younger audience. Maybe you’ve done one of our quizzes? They’re very popular. If you just go to BuzzFeed.com—and try not to look at the homepage—then just click on ‘News,’ which is the first tab, it will bring you to actual news stories. I promise.” At press time, Cascella’s captors had decided to release him after determining that he was not a journalist

• Locked thread