Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Zeris posted:

No, that's exactly it. It's not a smoking gun (yet) but people, I guess in a few posts here and in implications from left-leaning media outlets, seem to assume it's a smoking gun. Maybe I'm reading too far into things. I already have outrage fatigue and I no longer understand the point of getting riled up over stupid poo poo until it's clearly smoking-gun-level stupid poo poo.

I'd say it's a smoking gun because I can't remember if anyone who's been revealed to have contact with Russia has tried to offer even the tiniest explanation of their actions. Everyone accused has claimed that the allegations are fake, and try to get it swept under the rug, which plays into people's "if they don't have something to hide, why won't they tell the truth" beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Why would you shoot a man before throwing him off a plane?

Everyone knows you shoot him as he's falling.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

KildarX posted:

What?it'd be more surprising if he did.

You're not supposed to say that out loud though.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Handsome Ralph posted:

I know this is true (and a major reason why FISA warrants are now a thing), but in this case, it's still dumb when people say they are doing it (based on Wikileaks which is just lol given their recent history), again, without evidence to back it up.

While I get and understand that people are anxious about the CIA having those capabilities, I think the solution is more congressional oversight not, "GET RID OF THE CIA/NSA AND THOSE CAPABILITIES, THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES WITH THEM!":kingsley:

VikingSkull posted:

I think it's less an issue that the CIA itself is actively spying on certain Americans and more that the NSA, CIA and other alphabet agencies are passively spying/datamining every American and now it's legal for them to share the information back and forth with no oversight.

Isn't there a point where we have to just trust that the three-letter agencies aren't spying on Americans illegally? I'm not saying they would or wouldn't, but is there a way to prove if it is or isn't happening without putting everyone's private info out there?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's the issue though, there's not a good way to establish that illegal spying (or illegal information sharing where it's not outright spying) is not still going on and from the information that has gotten out there's good evidence that these agencies have regularly flouted the law. If there was legitimate oversight it would be a different conversation, but recent leaks have been very clear that intelligence agencies are outright lying to the people that are supposed to have the authority to reign them in - and this has not resulted in any consequences.

If you ignore everything else, then sure, the CIA should be developing these tools and we should not be hearing about it. But in the context of what we've learned about intelligence agencies in recent history :nsa:.

The oversight thing is what I'm concerned about. I can't think of a good way to confirm if an oversight committee is actually making sure no illegal spying is going on or if the committee is just telling the public nothing illegal is going on without putting everything out for the public to see.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

KildarX posted:

The upside is a lot of idiots will die or get really sick of MMR or something.

The downside is a lot of idiots Kids are gonna get it and die, and a lot of kids who couldn't get their shots in time are gonna die. So on the bright side a bunch of idiots might learn shots are necessary and a lot of parents might get so pissed off they'll actually do something about it.

I mean poo poo we're not so far removed from the generation that parents got so angry that certain elements of society had salty language and sexy videos they forced the MPAA and RIAA to label everything.

And the kids of those parents are now growing up and deciding that vaccinations cause autism, which is so much more worse for a kid than measles.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gobbeldygook posted:

We're going to have some :smithicide: stories in a few years, like some kid whose dad died in Afghanistan before they were born enlisting and also dying in Afghanistan.

Aren't we like 18 months from people born after 9/11 being able to enlist?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Office Pig posted:

This seems like an insanely bad idea even outside of the obvious nepotism and corruption. It's bad enough we have Russian agents inside the White House, we don't need Canadian ones, too.

Maybe they'll cancel out?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Pesticide20 posted:

Is she the one that memorized airplanes and where they were flying for some reason?

She's the next generation of conservative FYGM nay-sayers. May have hate-hosed Trevor Noah.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

KildarX posted:

:stare: I just realized this is going to be the future of politics once the 85-90's people start getting political office.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

You're very optimistic about the future my friend

You're both fools if you think this isn't already happening.

From one of Michigan's state senators:
https://twitter.com/DavidKnezek/status/837806238394118149

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

:drat:

• Locked thread