Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Okay, let's try a fresh approach to the Current Events thread.

Last month's rules & infraction records are wiped clean. Life goes on, and so does the Current Events thread.

There is one rule: talk about current events without breaking the rules!

Big events in February:
  • 2017 Oscars were too woke, and people didn't like it.
  • Our president learned that health is "complicated".
  • Our president has uncertain plans for a compromise on immigration.
  • Our president is proposing a 10% increase in funding for the DoD.
  • A wave of threats and actions against Jewish Community Centers recently occurred.
  • Best Korea's emperor is executing more senior leaders, and also his half-brother.

Everyone still thinks the world is ending (they might be right)
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/27/us/politics/most-important-problem-gallup-polling-question.html

Cool non-mandatory Twitter linking advice:

quote:

- I generally link twitter because it's easy as hell on a phone and makes article clickthroughs easy. If you're quoting someone's twitter post, remove the twitter link so the quote doesn't have the blown-up picture too for those on desktops.

- For tweetstorms (the thing where people respond to themselves like 15-20 times), just link the first tweet. If they're interested in the whole thing, they'll click through and it's easy to read.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

two finger :mad:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

current event: two finger mad

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

This thread sort of explains it pretty well, everyone grieves differently and his death will now Mean Something. Basically, lay off widows and family members even if they're potentially being stupid: https://twitter.com/mkhammer/status/836826353630654464

Now, for the amount of ways this all goes sideways for Donnie:

- Donnie apparently quoted Mattis that it was a good mission and produced good intel. I doubt Mattis was happy about that.
- NBC News is already reporting that the intel they found was garbage and Donnie (and Mattis) may be lying https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/836802054404386820
- Donnie already blamed his generals: "They lost Ryan"
- The father is calling for an investigation and yelling at Donnie.
- The operation falls under the oversight of the Senate Armed Services Committee, led by one John McCain.

Sorry for your loss, the Useful Intelligence is in Another Castle!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

That's literally a Duffleblog article

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Meh; he's bad for misrepresenting himself to idiots for who the degree or non-degree might actually might, on the other hand we're so acclimated to politicians lying in many circumstances that what's most jarring is that he forgot to lie smarter, not that he doesn't actually have a degree. The type of degree he is lying about having is useless. It's like declaring stolen valor on someone who fudged their commander's coin into a certificate of achievement. Both are only treasured by retards.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

I raise your Iowa thing with a Biden thing. I mean, I don't even know where to start with this one. It seems like everyone's happy but holy gently caress this story.

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/837051638372249601

Edit: no actually gently caress that, that's a happy goddamn story. Beau Biden's widow is now together with Hunter Biden. Hunter Biden is estranged from his wife, but still married for now. Jill and Diamond Joe fully approve.

gently caress it, that's great.

lol when the cousins become step-siblings. But, whatever.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Not playing devil's advocate - actually wondering - what are the list of ways Russia interfered, with an outcome useful to Trump, in the election?

-Hack DNC emails and leak them
-???

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Russia undermining Clinton and Russia colluding with Trump staff are not the same thing. I'm not talking about objective reality, I'm talking about what's provable. They could have done everything in that IC report and not said a word to Trump or his cronies. Unless they were spelling it out to the GOP campaign and demanding favors in return -- unless that's what was in those conversations -- or whatever, then I don't get it.

It looks stupid -- Sessions lied, obviously, but until it's clear what he lied about, there's no saying whether this will last or snowball to something worth resigning over.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What is it you don't get? Obviously if there is not a smoking gun then the accusation will just be another in a seemingly endless parade of dire blemishes on the trump presidency. Another reason that suggests under no circumstances should the Don be given the benefit of the doubt because so much indicates that his character and loyalties are suspect, at the very least.

Sorry your use of - makes it hard to understand exactly how to parse your sentences.

No, that's exactly it. It's not a smoking gun (yet) but people, I guess in a few posts here and in implications from left-leaning media outlets, seem to assume it's a smoking gun. Maybe I'm reading too far into things. I already have outrage fatigue and I no longer understand the point of getting riled up over stupid poo poo until it's clearly smoking-gun-level stupid poo poo.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

Here's some different Trump news. Not related to treason, just extreme stupidity.

Hey at least it's a solid blow against the undermining efforts of the Chinese

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Some quick notes after a night of news comedy:

- I generally link twitter because it's easy as hell on a phone and makes article clickthroughs easy. If you're quoting someone's twitter post, remove the twitter link so the quote doesn't have the blown-up picture too for those on desktops.

- For tweetstorms (the thing where people respond to themselves like 15-20 times), just link the first tweet. If they're interested in the whole thing, they'll click through and it's easy to read.

- Don't get too worked up about all the poo poo about 'normalization' and what's bad and good to react with. Hail gay satan and enjoy this poo poo as it happens because we're getting an absolutely incredible amount of jaw dropping news on a daily basis and it's hilarious watching assholes get what they deserve, even if it doesn't lead to actual charges and stuff. Plus I'm sure that stuff will be coming soon enough :)

Thanks, I am adding this to the OP.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Guys

Donald J. Trump Presidential Library

:psypop:
"
Sponsored by McDonald's and ExxonMobil. It's just a gas station, drive thru, and a "take a book / leave a book" shelf on the curb.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Why America joke?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

It's almost as though going after them for lying about meetings, without having any substance as to what went on in them, wasn't an effective tactic!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Don't get me wrong, I hope the IC leaks the contents of those meetings and it proves to be damning. But in TYOOL 2017 nobody loving cares if people on their team lied or misremembered or weren't "technically lying" because x/y/z happened in a non-official or different capacity.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Can't wait for the "obstructionist democrats" narrative to emerge to explain why there are no new jobs and our government infrastructure is literally eating itself

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks everyone for reporting that doucher on last page and not letting it derail. Moving on!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

How long until a sleepy senior WH officer gets executed by an anti aircraft gun?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Genocide Tendency posted:

What do you call competing rallies/protests where its just autistic screeching at each other?

The two remainining posters on something awful that aren't bots

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

But deep state bad !

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I dig how the president's top twitter antagonist has a misspelled first name and a car selfie for a profile pic.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Funny, I can easily think of the last time he was that...pissed

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Well yeah I mean when you are acting against your own country's best interests what do you expect?

Also, I question the underlying assumption (correct me if I am wrong) that the Russians were somehow "caught", as in, they wanted to scoot Trump into the WH without getting noticed. Presumably the Russians are smart enough to know when they're being monitored by the US IC. The people who aren't smart enough are Team Trump. More on that shortly-

Russia is already vilified, especially in the last few years. They are so good at navigating fine lines re: reprisals from other states. Knowing that they have little to lose, doesn't it make more sense that Russia's sloppiness is deliberate, here?

Russia could easily turn their own negativity into a weapon by unilaterally hacking & leaking stuff, and then colluding with (or even just meeting with) Team Trump affiliates knowing how bad it would look down the road, knowing the US IC would be observing, and knowing that it would only take a little bit of drama for leaks on that revelation to begin. Now everyone has been undermined. Is Russia just trying to get us so hosed up with ourselves that we stop giving them a hard time?

Conspiracy theory: if this is a repeat of the Crimea model, then what is it that Russia is stealing before our eyes?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

the picture in that wapo article lmao.

The scotch tape will never not be funny to me

Oh my god are those things related to him

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

:siren: Shitpost til midnight EST because why not it's been a while :siren:

Zeris fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 6, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

http://imgur.com/gallery/YvZIw

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Ya'll can't even shitpost right

I won't go back on my word

But we do have an idiot king

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Oh well 98 minutes til my dumb decision expires

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I'm gonna ask Zeris to give the next Galt quotes a month off. He won't listen but then again he might.

Hey this is my dumb mistake, I stand by it.

You on the other hand are free to request any probie you like. Anything above a six requires admin approval.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

if emma waton boobs get me probated then just loving ban me this thread needs it

Wanna talk about it?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You say chains, I say stylish bracelets!

kanye posted:

Black on black lies is worse than black on black crime
The jews share they truth on how to make a dime
Most black men couldn't balance a checkbook
But buy a new car, talking bout how my neck look?
Well it all looks great
Four hundred years later, we buying our own chains

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

:siren: Please don't talk specifics on how the IC monitors its targets or what the accountability process looks like :siren:

I don't know the exact rules, but I'm erring on the side of caution here.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah there was an article somewhere about 3/75 rangers being spotted rolling in strykers to some joint effort against Raqqa in Syria but it was so low-key that I assumed I had just missed something and we were in Syria and it wasn't a big deal anymore. I don't know. something something Rex Tillerson.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Jesus Christ, I don't think I've seen a more clickbait-y headline. Shame too, since they could've had a different, much more accurate and equally clickbait-y headline simply by saying that the Rangers are in town to deter attacks on the YPG from Turkey. Literally acting as human shields, so to speak.

tl;dr the 75th Rangers rather than MARSOC or SEALs rolled into North Manbij to deter Turkish attacks on the YPG.

It begins, I guess?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Someone bugged the emperor's new clothes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Pesticide20 posted:

No leprechauns, clearly not Ireland

That's a pic of Australia, dummy

• Locked thread