Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Switch launched with like 8 games. I think not having Netflix is the least of its launch software problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

The SNES launch is remembered for being legendary

Add was the Dreamcast launch

Unrelated, I really like how fast you run in Nier. It's such a small thing that so many things get wing. Begging able to run through the works at top speed with no stamina limit is great

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I worry about my cats probably more than is necessary. Still, I'm moving soon and they are not gonna like the change of location one bit at all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Best sidekick is easily Sully in Uncharted.

Zeke in Infamous also rules, but you really need to play both 1 and 2 to get the full effect m

I also really Issun in Okami but everyone else seems to hate him.

Midna is also pretty good and probably I've of the better parts of TP (though the internet has done it's best to ruin that)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

why did people play these games

They didn't know any better and they were really pretty for the time.

Also obligatory
http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Yeah, you'd have to be Batman to solve some Sierra puzzles.

Another one in King's Quest (can't remember which one) involved a gold coin. You'd find a gold coin and there was a shop with an item that would let you solve a puzzle. The game would let you use the gold coing to buy it, pretty straightforward, right?

Except you just got owned sucka because it turns out that the item can obtained from the shop in a different way later on and then much further into the game you have to bribe somebody with the precious gold coin that you spent in the shop hours earlier and now (considering that you actually came to the conclusion that the game in unwinnable) you have to restart the game. The mechanic of buying an item in the shop existsts solely for the purpose of loving the player over.

I think in KQ6 there's a dog you need to distract and two items will do it. One you need to use in a later puzzle and one you're actually supposed to use and of course if you use the former, the game is unbeatable with no indication that this is the case.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

It's not just you, Yooka Laylee is an incredibly ugly game

The trouble is that Banjo Kazooie also had a really ugly art style (hell, look at all modern games that feature the characters) but that is easier to shrug off because it's a N64 game. They seem to be going for the same thing here but now they could do so much better

Still gonna play the hell out of it when it comes out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't been following Yooka Laylee is the actual platforming fun because that's all I really care about

Yes, it appears to pretty much be Banjo Threeie

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought the story in Inside was mostly straightforward and pretty neat :shrug:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I got all the endings in Stein's Gate the other day and god drat that was a cool game. Like it's hard to justify why it's so good. Even for a VN it has little interaction (and what's there is oddly obtuse) and the game has so many anime cliches it's maddening. However, somewhere along the line they decided to put effort into things for some reason and the writing is strong enough and the story is interesting enough that it sort of just passes through the cliches it uses barely scathed. It's like they took the dull shells of these tropes and actually filled them in so you had characters whose personalities and actions made perfect sense with who they were and where they came from, so it mostly felt natural. Hell, even the endings where you end up with a girl that isn't that well matched to the protagonist, they put an extreme amount of effort to make the ending make perfect. I rarely see anything this tropey use those tropes while also actually putting the the effort that people usually people are expecting the use of tropes to create.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The theory that Andromeda is a Galaxy Quest-style parody of the original series gains more and more traction

If they pull a MGS2 and reveal that in the game you don't actually play a dull human but instead are playing Blasto, I will drop everything and buy the special edition of the game immediately.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's good to know 0 is also good. I was planning on getting to it when the awesome releases slow down a little bit.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I'm glad you liked it, it's one of my favorites. Time travel stories can be very hit or miss but I felt that S;G hit all of the right notes while also pairing it with a strong cast and a neat visual style and solid soundtrack. The ending was also good/satisfying enough that any talk about a potential sequel has always left me wary, because I don't see how you can follow it up well and not have it be a let down, which ultimately Steins;Gate 0 kind of was. I mean, it's fine, especially if you just want to see more of that cast of characters interacting with each other, but there's not much the plot can really say or do that you need to hear/see at this point after the original ending.

It seriously was shockingly good to the degree where I'm not sure I'll ever play a better VN

Also that's one against 0 (though I'll still play it and probably watch the sequel movie because I'm done and I wanna hang out with Mayuri some more)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't even like Sterling but gently caress this attitude of "well he should have expected this" or "he did this on purpose". Stop normalizing internet troll bullshit. In a situation where someone is getting harassed and hacked, we should never be taking the side of the harassers just because what they're doing is expected. It's a god damned video game. He should be able to give a 0/10 and suffer no consequences. It's his opinion and it has almost no impact at all on people playing and enjoying it. Hell, people are pissed that a low review will taint the game somehow but doing poo poo like this just puts a giant asterisk next to that score. I know I had trouble believing the breathless hype because of what happened when TP got it's 8.8 . I'm getting off track though. The point is, stop blaming the victim here. Stop saying people deserve the wrath of the hordes of the internet because they should have "known better" especially when the thing that they did is as innocuous as giving a game a less than perfect score

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Nobody is saying he deserves the hate just because he was aware there would be a backlash. That's some hard projecting on your part.

edit: The reason people are saying he had to have at least some awareness of it is because he just got done being sued for millions of dollars by crazy internet video game people. He knows very well the depths people can go to if you say something controversial. He says as much regarding the review itself. Obviously, he does not care about that and more power to him for it. But I don't think anybody reasonable is trying to imply he deserves that.

I just don't see the purpose of continuously pointing out that he should have seen it coming other than normalizing the behaviour of those that are attacking him. Like, yeah Sterling likes stirring the pot but who cares? Why is that important to this conversation? I'm not saying that it's an attitude of "he deserved it" but it at least seems to be an attitude of "he should have been more careful" which is still hosed up because he really shouldn't have to be more careful when giving a game a slightly below excellent score and we shouldn't be acting like he made a mistake by doing so.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

lol victim blaming

It's a review on the internet and a bunch of angry nerds, get a grip

Oh gently caress off.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Equating something like that to a serious problem in sexual assault cases is pretty lovely tbh

Acting like internet harassment is no big deal and people that get it should just suck it up because it's just the internet is incredibly lovely and is also the way the trolls themselves tend to deflect criticism so I repeat, gently caress off.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
People keep talking shti about the crash remake and every time I see it, it looks perfectly fine to me :shrug:

I mean, it doesn't look incredible but it's really hard to translate that style into HD. Crash was made to work around the limitations of the ps1 and because of that, much of the design is very specific to having low polygons. Because of that HD crash will always look weird as will his world in general, but gameplaywise the HD version still looks fine and I think the visuals are fine for what they have to work with.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
BotW send fantastic from what little I've played but at the same time I'm not sure if it's entirely my type of game, though that would obviously be on me and not the game. I've just always had terrible getting into the open world "make your own fun" sort of thing and while there is more to BotW than that and it is the top tier of that, I still always prefer something more structured but, once again, that's my problem, not the games

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

It's weird, because I'm usually the same way: I really don't go in for "make your own fun" open world games, or really most open world games at all. Breath of the Wild clicks with me in a way most of them didn't because of how hard it works to make the exploration part actually fun instead of just something that gets in your way while you try to get to the "real content."

Like, I enjoy Horizon a lot, but I don't enjoy exploration or travel all that much in it. I know that everything I'm going to find is either already marked on my map or is an audio log. And I know that, for the most part, there are some fairly narrow paths I have to stick to, because there are mountains and other impassable things in the way. But nothing's impassable in Breath of the Wild, and nothing's pre-marked on my map, either, so I'm weirdly content to just go wander and get lost and find stuff. Maybe part of the reason I'm loving the game as much as I am is because that's a really unfamiliar feeling for me.

I will say the main reason I do place BotW so high in this genre is because the world is mostly just so full of stuff and feels so well made and structured. The thing I don't like in most open world games and part of the thing that turns me off of them is the world feels so empty. Even something really detailed and well crafted like GTAV mostly feels like window dressing that is far more shallow than it appears. BotW everything feels like it's placed there with a purpose and nothing is there that doesn't serve a purpose.

Like, I actually really like exploring in games, it's just that most open world games don't have worlds I find worth exploring, and there's also too much empty space to make it feel worthwhile. I love 2D exploration games but there the limitations usually mean that there is no wasted space.

As I said, Zelda does what it's doing extremely well but it's more a matter of I'm not sure this type of thing done as good as it can be done is still as good to me as a more structured thing done less good. Like as good as BotW is, I haven't seen anything in it I prefer to pretty much any Zelda dungeon.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I played Zelda a bunch on the NES but I was a dumb kid and I don't think I ever really understood it. I think the first Zelda I ever properly played through was Link's Awakening, and really that's a drat good place to start.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

This game never actually came out which makes oddly sad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like, as soon as he finishes, that rom will be leaked just the same, so if a guy wants to raise money to finish it, that doesn't seem worth getting huffy admit.

Acting like the guy is scum for buying it in the first place but also claiming no one cares about it seems contradictory.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like that one of the major differences in the arcade SMB is that they made it so the shell bounce trick no longer works. Shows they were at least paying attention to that poo poo at the time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From what I understand the Platinum TMNT game had all the specials on cool down meters like an MMO and if you're thinking that would gently caress up the flow of Platinum style combat, the reviews indicate you are right.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator

That game has a ton of skins (well, pallettes because I don't think arcsys quite understood 3D gaming) to buy.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey, to anyone that's far in Nier 2, is there ever a point of no return for sidequests?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

No. You will have the chance to complete everything in one file

Okay good to know. I'm enjoying doing these sidequests but someone of them I want to upgrade and level myself a bit more before I tackle.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Some of them will definitely be brick walls too, level wise. I did the same thing and returned to them much later in the game and they felt much more balanced, fair and fun.

I did the black belt fight with the master and he was level 30 and I was 16 I think. I won by chugging potions but man oh man am I not going to his next form until I've leveled a bit.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

i tried out the 360 castlevania may cry game today. forget the name but i know its the original 2 disc one, not the sequel. seemed pretty cool, is it well regarded?

The reception was overall lukewarm (I personally thought it was awful)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The problem is that there's a huge difference between complaining a game is unoriginal and complaining a game is uninteresting and he seems to be mixing up the two.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actually the Mass Effect games, KotoR Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and Jade Empire are good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Last night while playing near, I got a game over from eating a fish. When I say game over I mean I got an ending. GoTY.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The best hacking was in Sly Copper where it was just a fun twin stick shooter and happened at determined times.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

gently caress yeah. These are pretty much all great games too

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

It's some dumb bullshit that these NES Disney games are coming to every platform except actual Nintendo systems

Oh well, hopefully we'll get a port announced in the summer or something

I'm sure they'll release them on the VC for $5 a pop in due time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sega made some great Disney games but they'd have to do their own collection for that poo poo.

In general it kind of sucks that Virgin came and ruined everything with Aladdin. The Genesis Aladdin wasn't bad game and honestly might be one of the most impressive games ever made considering how insanely rushed it was. Still, it's insane success (the second best selling Genesis game) made it so Disney took their games from Capcom and Sega and gave them to Virgin, who never managed to make anything even close to Aladdin again and then they just decided they could make games themselves and they became even worse.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

I joke among my game dev friends about bringing back "the golden age of advertainment" when they did fully-featured, full-price video games based on brands and products like Cool Spot and Chester Cheetah and poo poo. They laugh but inside I'm only half-joking.

That Sour Patch Kids game Cody Morty and was supposed to actually be good (it was cheap though). I think the key full price advertisement game (other than serious based on specific cars which I think at least sorta count) I can think of was that weird rear end Skittles GameCube rpg so it's been awhile

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think we should just get to the point of the conversation with where someone points out that Cool Spot was dope.

Cool Spot was dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

I like that treasure's first game was a mcdonald's themed platforming game. It owned, too.

Nit picking but their first game was Gunstar Heroes (though the time difference between the releases was just like a couple of weeks).

• Locked thread