Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bethesda, the publishers, are different from Id, who worked on the single-player campaign. The multiplayer was farmed out to a different team entirely.

Also that quote just proves my consistent belief that the people at Bethesda proper don't actually know how to make good games.

People thought Doom looked like dogshit from the multiplayer beta, and that attitude was why Bethesda didn't want to release early copies to reviewers, only trusted influencers, until Nvidia of all places released a single-player gameplay video that showed it was actually fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I got Horizon on Wednesday and have already put 30 hours into it, so that's about 6 hours a day.

This year I've already beaten Doom, Superhot, The Witness (minus the challenge), Watch Dogs 2, Mafia III, and Nioh. I think I may complete more games this year than in any other previous

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I might stick Nier in between to take a short break from the open world format.

Uh, you may want to take a closer look at that one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The best piece of fiction in either the Halo or Gears series was that one live-action trailer for Halo ODST

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm really glad that Bungie kept that tradition alive with lore cards you had to visit an external website to read

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I bought both Enter the Matrix and The Matrix Online.

I played the PS2 Lord of the Rings beat-em-up. I heard really good things about the RPG one but never got around to that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sunning posted:

The game's review embargo for most websites and publications will end in a few minutes. For comparison, the first game had a 67-68 on metacritic.

Let's see how they like fishing in this one.

Speaking of which, what's with Japan and fishing minigames

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kohan is the only one of those games I haven't played, I guess I should check it out!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Everyone's talking about how you can go to the final dungeon in Zelda from the beginning, but you can kind of do that in Horizon too!

At least I am guessing that was what it was, because I was wandering around looking for collectibles and then out of nowhere Aloy started talking about how the machines were more defensive (they were normal), how she was entering into forbidden territory (it looked like all the other mountains I've climbed) and then I got an ominous boss cutscene (for a machine I had already killed in multiple high-level sidequests). Then it ended up being a dead end since I guess the story hasn't activated whatever's supposed to be there yet.

Cool vistas though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Default Male Shep had a specially-designed face that you couldn't recreate with the custom generator, whereas the default FemShep in 1 and 2 was from the generator assets.

I remember because in the lead-up to ME3 they had that whole thing where they set up a Facebook poll for people to pick what the specially-designed cover FemShep would look like

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I have stopped giving a poo poo about character appearance and just roll with whatever.

I remember spending hours with the character creation in Oblivion, even to the point of downloading FaceGen software. That was a total waste considering the game was so ugly it was basically sculpting with moldy dried-out Play-Doh in any case

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Snak posted:

What games should do is release the character creator like a week before the game comes out, so that people can gently caress with it while they wait for the game to come out.

I remember doing this with Spore! That was the best part of that whole thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of which, how's For Honor doing?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

So is Dishonored 2 any good?

I bet that hypothetical daughter name was Emily

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda.

Now Linkle, that's a dumb name

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 7, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Now this, this is a name.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's a feedback loop. This is how we get to all the weird spellings and names in sci-fi future worlds

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You know, forty years in film history takes you from half-a-minute clips of a train to around The Wizard of Oz. That's certainly impressive.

Forty years in games takes you from the Atari 2600 to now, and I think that may be more impressive

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I didn't mean the comment as some kind of jingoist snipe against films (I study both of their histories for a living), and I certainly understand the historical contexts behind both those media quite well. I am simply talking from a pure experiential standpoint. Once you enter into a world of moving images where before there were none, the development of color and sound, while definitely a herculean technological endeavor, is somewhat just an extension of the experience. With games, it is simply just personally more mind-blowing to me to have gone from being impressed by moving a group of pixels on a screen to the things we have now.

Edit: And by that I mean this of course. Wildlands sounding great
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/839000791822168064

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 7, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Make it so you can ride all the machines. I wanna ride a Stormbird

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The only thing that Far Cry Primal has on this game is that it has more animals to ride, and you can feed them and pet them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

:smith:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I really just want a digital list of games that I own but haven't beaten or want to replay, so I can just pull it up and see "Oh, I never beat Metroid Prime" and able to pull it up on my phone or computer without digging through my closet. Ratings or recommendations would just help me prioritize what I play.

Backloggery is good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

How do you gently caress up a Bomberman game in the first place?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

to the few people who own both zelda and horizon, what are the main differences? just off the top of my head I'm thinking it's in:
--climbing mechanics
--weapon durability
--enemy variety

...but I'm curious how the locomotion of parachute stuff in Zelda compares to what moving around and traveling is like in Horizon, or if there's an analogue to the discoveries of kokoroks/shrines/shrine boss things in Horizon. Are they much different in world biome structures and platforming? I actually don't even know if Horizon has a jump button.

Horizon definitely has a jump button and it actually has one of the best traversal systems in terms of "you can jump onto pretty much anything and keep momentum to keep jumping upwards"

And I already thought this guy was a piece of poo poo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also the follow-up to that is all "My woman is in bed next to me and she thought it was funny, looks like you got TRIGGERED." Reading replies and comments is always a worthwhile endeavor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNH1Jj4UTDI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Not a Children posted:

I was born in 1990 so I don't really know what it was like, but I imagine going from NES music to this was fuckin' neck-hair raising stuff

The first day I brought home my SNES, I heard that Actraiser track and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFm_EaLRmQ

It was truly a whole new world

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Critics don't need to only write about what a game says or means, not because those things aren't important (they are) but because those don't constitute all of, or even most of, the play experience. Being able to clearly discuss the experience of gameplay, and distinguish it from other experiences -- that is, to describe in words something that is primarily felt and hard to describe in words -- is probably the main skill a game critic needs. This actually came up in a Waypoint podcast some time ago. Titanfall 2, COD Infinite Warfare, and Doom are all shootman games, but a good critic will be able to communicate the differences in playing each of them, differences that have nothing to do with story or signification. Since most game reviewers are already terrible writers, that kind of challenge is probably insurmountable

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

It's worth pointing out that there's actually quite a bit of academic criticism around video games but nobody reads that stuff outside of the person who wrote it and maybe one or two of the people who showed up on that block of the conference and saw the presentation.

Stop describing my life :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The SNES still has the best version of this theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQex8CB9eA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Game is quite pretty. I would say overall Uncharted 4 is more polished and detailed but considering Horizon is an open world it's extremely impressive for what it can do

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ActRaiser is very good and one of the first games I finished all by myself, so it will always have a fond place in my heart. I wish they had made a true sequel and not just an action-only thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I'm embarrassed that an industry professional showed this at a conference

It looks like that's from Robert Yang, who I am pretty sure doesn't give a poo poo whether you're embarrassed or not

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, what a ride. Took me 45 hours and this is the first time I've platted a game in quite a while. The funny thing is that I can't tell you any one specific thing where this game was groundbreaking or super amazing or anything. But as a whole it just pulled me in. I actually got quite interested in the story, and the only nagging thing was that there was probably a better way to convey a lot of that besides hunting for audio logs. When someone mentioned that they had brought in the writer from New Vegas and people from CD Projekt, it made perfect sense how this came together in such a strong way. Because this is basically Fallout except without the nostalgic kitsch (super welcome, in my eyes) and with actual good open world and combat gameplay. Also,

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/837735925417390085

Now time to play RE7 while I wait for Nier to come in

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Holy shitsnacks, I just beat The Challenge in The Witness and so I've platted two games in a single evening.

Where do I sign up to become a pro gamer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

What's everyone's favorite sidekick in a video game? Mine is Barry from Alan Wake

Rush.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Isn't Yooka-Laylee the game that promoted itself with "Guess you loved collectathons, huh, we'll give you tons more collectables"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

80 Days is a good VN-like and non-anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Like if Rare took the lesson from Donkey Kong Country that "Players love collecting poo poo", I would say they learned the wrong lesson

• Locked thread