Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

i have given videogames up for lent today so i will only be playing things that are not games, such as gone home, the witness, and the witcher 3

That's quite an eclectic mix but at least you've got one actual good game in there (Gone Home).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I suppose if I constantly thought super critically about every single game I've ever played I could probably make myself hate them all quite a lot, instead of just going "welp" and thinking about something else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rise of the Tomb Raider was great and Horizon might even be a little better, I'll have to see how it shakes out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only video "game" that could ever really be considered an actual game is Gone Home.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Rise was excruciating outside of the bits where you were actually playing it, Horizon has it beat on that front already.

Horizon doesn't have Endurance Mode yet.

Please make Endurance Mode for Horizon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Truth be told I have almost never gone wrong with my gut reaction looking at the basic premise for a game and thinking if it would be cool. It's the stuff I have to be convinced of by goons that's more hit and miss. The only game I can recall having the wrong feelings about were DOOM and I think everybody was off on that one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

lets hang out posted:

I'm looking up nier music and 50% of youtube thumbnails are spoilers and the other 50% are butts

The butts are the spoilers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You shouldn't buy the DLC for Inquisition separately, just get it all for ~20bux when the GOTY edition goes on sale.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So what is going to be the big AAA release that actually satiates some peoples' blood lust for poo poo show reviews? Like they've been chomping at the bit to indulge themselves in the schadenfreude of a game that's been in development for years and has a huge budget go up in smoke once it's in the hands of reviewers and the gaming public at large.

Wasn't No Man's Sky enough for you.

Lots of red flags around Andromeda, though it might end up being okay despite itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Detroit could end up being pretty good in its own Cagey way. Cyberpunk 2077 is also supposed to release this year but somehow I doubt it'll make it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I love that all the UnArkham's Creedraider games have almost the exact same control setup minus like one button that always manages to get you killed at some crucial moment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Inverted Y axis is the devil's work.

It has its time and place, and it's for flight sims ONLY.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

I had a very similar thought, that the guys who made this should just make the next Fallout because this makes FO4 look like dog poo poo

The lead writer on Horizon was the guy behind Fallout: NV so you're not off by much here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

fridge corn posted:

i always knew horizon was gonna be good

:same:

I think more than any other recent game Horizon followed a path of "this looks pretty good, has continued to look good, and will probably be really good" from start to finish. I'm not surprised but I am pretty happy because this is exactly the kind of open world I have always wanted to play, when almost every previous setting has been either "boring white dude in a city w/ guns" or Ye Old Shite Covered Fantasie. The only surprise is that it might be a little bit better than good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

All games should be on PC, all games deserve 60 fps

I used to not be so anal about framerates, but then TressFX happened...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm fine with 30fps if i don't have to deal with PC bullshit

It is refreshing that Horizon runs at a super stable 30fps and I don't have to endlessly tweak settings like I would on my PC to get ~maximum performance~.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only areas where Guerilla cut some corners to get the most out of the PS4 hardware are noticeable texture pop-in for open areas and water reflections, while keeping the single most important aspect (TressFX) intact.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

I hope Horizon does well and that they figure out that a lot of the reason people are loving it (this guy included) is that they actually held back on the hype and even a lot of basic information. A lot of what makes it so good is the genuine sense of exploration and discovery of the world. Been a real long time since I can say a game surprised me so often and so dramatically.

There was quite a lot of info about this game if you looked for it. 20-minute continuous gameplay videos, interviews with the developers, hands-on impressions from game journos. They didn't exactly spoil everything but the full marketing thrust of Sony was behind this one, they expect it to sell 6-8 million copies which is pretty unheard of for a new IP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bloodychill posted:

It may be the the most beautiful game ever in terms of fairly realistic graphics. The only glaring flaws are the side quest facial animations and the lack of soft body dynamic physics for water. The former is disappointing but the latter is totally excusable since soft body dynamics are totally brutal on performance and the game is already using it quite a bit for a few small things.

Otherwise, jeez so many vistas and the game really utilizes a great dynamic palette between the locations, weather and day/night dynamics, robots, and characters. It successfully avoids the "everything's gray/brown" issue that can affect big open games.

I think Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC) jusssssst edges out HZD in the graphics department but you have to pay $1200 more to get it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

So between Horizon and Doom the thing I'm taking away from this is that AAA game devs are dogshit at showing off how actually good their games are.

The E3 reveal for Horizon was really good and the game continued to look good.

For an example of how you can make a AAA game look terrible, I refer you to Mass Effect: Andromeda.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Gears and Halo both seem to be part of this weird zeitgeist in videogames where all at once people were being tasked to create these elaborate, intricate backstories for their shootman games...all of which was told through comics and novels and ARG websites and absolutely nowhere in the actual games themselves. I don't know when or why this became the thing to do but it always struck me as dumb as hell. Like I don't mind if a game decides to eschew ~deep lore~ in favor of focusing on gameplay, especially in a shooter, but you can always tell that games like this really want you to care about things like who the Locust are and what the deal with that creepy facility is but nah, gotta buy the official tie-in whatever to learn about that poo poo.

The Matrix and the LOTR trilogy were both hugely influential at the turn of the millennium in creating this expanded mythology where it wasn't just about the movies, but callbacks to books, video games, spin-off properties, etc. that you were just expected to have already absorbed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The other thing about the early-mid 2000s era is that MMOs were really beginning to take off and just about every IP was eyeing the possibility of doing one, no matter how tortuous the connection. Like without knowing anything on the subject I'm almost certain "Halo MMO" was in the design docs at Bungie at some point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I, uh, kind of feel like the Lord of the Rings movies didn't really create the expanded mythology as such, that was sort of already there.

The movies were largely responsible for making the mythology palatable to the masses instead of "and then Glinfandel begat Grwyrrwgwyn, who begat Wynnelesal" etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

When I told my spouse I was playing Horizon Zero Dawn she said "what is that, some kind of anime" and I was crushed. :negative:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

HZD is honorary anime because it has robots and a good female protagonist.

Checks out but she doesn't wanna gently caress the robots so it falls short.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Ah yes, Myst 4. The classic.

It's the second best Myst game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

#1 Best

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Red Bones posted:

It's weird because I thought the playerbase of mass effect was supposed to be pretty evenly split between genders. Bioware games generally do pretty well with women relative to other developers.

The last time they did analytics on this, only like half of everybody even used the character creator tool and most just selected default Soldier John Shepard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Snak posted:

Character creator tools are really loving boring and tedious to use.

Like, it's almost always impossible to tell from a slider's name what it's going to actually do. So you gotta gently caress with it to find out. But you don't know what any of the later sliders do, so sometimes you set a slider one way thinking it's the closes you're going to get to what you want, and then two tabs later another slider actually does the thing that you wanted and it's like "okay, so... should I go back and set that first slider to neutral so that I can gently caress with this one... or... gently caress I've been playing for 20 minutes and I'm not even playing the game yet gently caress this"

I can't tell you how many Shepards I liquefied in ME1 after spending 30 minutes in the character creator getting everything perfect, only for them to have some horrible stank rear end face for the big dramatic reveal in the opening moments of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That infograph makes me happy in other ways, because hell yeah gently caress the Quarians.

Also Liara has only a 54% survival rate in ME3. :catstare: That's ridiculous to me because there is only one very small window across all three games where she can die.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn finished and platinumed. It was so good and like Nioh and New Doom completely caught me by surprise. I hope people I convinced to buy it like Palpek enjoy it as much as I did. Now, I'm onto Zelda and Nier: Automata but I haven't decided which one to do first. Guess I'll download the Nier demo and see if it digs its claws into me...

Horizon is already the fastest-selling new IP that Playstation has ever had, beating even Uncharted 4 and also outselling Zelda in its first week. I know it can be hard to tell what's actually popular through the something awful lens sometimes but it's definitely not some overlooked gem, it's mega popular.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm excited to see what they can do with a sequel to Horizon. It's already a pretty amazing game, but now they have an engine to work with and the basic ideas all in place so they can grow it from here.

I think the only logical place to go is having Aloy learn the power of friendship through a permanent Watcher companion that communicates in cute clicks & whistles and performs super cool combo attacks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It'd be cool if you could ride Thunderjaws Dino-Riders style but in order for a robot to be relateable in a sympathetic way it must be chibi (small) and kawaii (cute).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Play Majora's Mask and then see the form done to perfection in the immortal Lightning Returns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That would only be true if the best Final Fantasy and dare I say, one of the best games of all-time (FFX-2) wasn't a mere 15 years old.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nier looks fun but I'm gonna wait to see if the PC port is decent first.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

I keep hearing good stuff about lightning returns, is it worth playing without playing any of XIII?

The good news is that the plot is completely nonsensical and barely has any continuity with itself, let alone the XIII series.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you've played either of the new Tomb Raiders, Horizon's movement is much more analogous to that.

Horizon has a few "dungeons" in the form of cauldrons, which are big underground machine factories with boss fights at the end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only reason why they're getting compared is because they came out around the same time and they're console exclusives, which makes the warriors come out to playyyy. I can think of a dozen more games that Horizon and Zelda are more similar to than one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The world design is everything in Horizon though. That's probably its single most unique contribution to the formula, the other one being that the combat is pretty good unlike pretty much every other open world game.

• Locked thread