Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://twitter.com/_RaHaN_/status/837020201023639553

https://twitter.com/letteraV/status/837020261853483010
:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quest For Glory II posted:

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'
The problem is that you believe these are the same people. Consensus is a lie. Different groups become loud at different times, people who liked the game move on to play something else etc. There are some changed opinions among the crowd and there are definitely rose-tinted glasses at release because people are hyped. On the other hand though, what does it matter? Have fun with games that everybody else hates, it's cool.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/837027763068424196

haha

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

But seriously Zelda GDC will loving own, I can't wait.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

From my experience watching gameplay footage helps only to a certain degree. Many games give you a lot of options in how they're played and people playing them add a layer of their idea of which of those options are fun to them. I've seen some horrendous gameplay videos of MGS5 where the player did the same unfun thing over and over because that was his choice while the same level played by somebody who was way more creative showed a completely different game and sold me on it. I guess the solution would be to watch a few different videos but I often don't want to waste time like that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

On the subject of toys - those Pop! things were completely meh to me but then this was released:

:vince:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jay Rust posted:

When does Phoenix Wright get less-than-really-good? I've just completed the case with Von Karma (the vampire-looking prosecutor) and it feels great.
The next case is even better. There is one case later on that is simply slower and loses on intensity but the entire trilogy is loving great.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat, another hardware fail on Nintendo's part - there's no way they'll be able to fix the cartridge taste before next week's release.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

lmao

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A cool drat horse posted:

This is a fairly retarded criticism of the console's portability lol. Do these people not own bags.
Do those nerds not wear cargo shorts? :wtc:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Guy Mann posted:

I remember before the first Dishonored came out reading a preview in which the devs said that the ability to possess rats and fish came from them brainstorming the logical conclusions players would draw from having the ability to possess humans. I wonder if being able to turn into a coffee cup in Prey was bourne from that same mindset.
Post more like this and you could still turn things around.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Colonel posted:

have you ever tried to use a widescreen hack for a game

This reminds me that in the options menu for Deadfall Adventures (aka alcoholic Indiana Jones rear end in a top hat: the FPS) the devs let you adjust FOV all the way to 360.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

VideoGames posted:

This would make a good photoshop thread here in games. Create better versions of classics.
More like "Make video game characters look their age" :v:.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat, so Nier Automata is coming to Steam way earlier than I thought. Also:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Nah, when it's done it's done so like 2020 probably.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

bloodychill posted:

Finding out that CDPR helped Guerilla on Horizon
Oh poo poo, now I'll have to get it sooner than later.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well, anyway...don't forget to vote on the top forums dog.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That's it, I'm getting Horizon.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

GUI posted:

Titanfall 2's multiplayer is incredible. Doom's wishes it'd be this fast-paced and frantic.

I started playing Battlefield 1's multiplayer too. While trying to figure out the controls I accidentally threw a grenade across the map and a few seconds later it killed someone. That was cool.
Doom's multiplayer is really bad and was developed by a different studio than singleplayer. Like, nobody even considers Doom multiplayer a thing comparable to other games. Also the entire season pass is focused on it because the publisher is clueless

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sunning posted:

And on September 20th, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne patch 1.17 added two new Neutral Heroes, the Firelord and the Goblin Alchemist.
How could anything in 2017 ever live up to this release?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

For ME3 I downloaded the Schwarzenegger-Shepard somebody else made and this decision pretty much set me on the renegade path because the facial changes+red eyes coming from that made him look more and more like Terminator.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Harrow posted:

Ubisoft picked the worst possible time to release Wildlands, didn't they? Just hide it under a pile of some of the best open-world games ever made and hope the multiplayer aspect saves it from complete obscurity, I guess?
Is Wildlands actually any good though?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

precision posted:

Ubisoft must not have much faith in Wildlands because I've never even heard of it and they don't usually let a game being bad get in the way of them pushing it
It's advertised on every second gaming site so no.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

fridge corn posted:

My girlfriend suggested a name for our hypothetical daughter that is a normal name but also the name of a video game character tho she is unaware of that fact

The name is not Cindy
It's Lara, isn't it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bayonetta

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Please, meet my sons Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Johnnycage.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I remember reading an article on some crazy sect where children were named after common words and together they spelled out a sentence praising God. Somebody should do the same thing but spelling out a badass gaming quote.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jay Rust posted:

So is Dishonored 2 any good?
It's really good. They basically expanded upon everything good from the first and cut out bad things. Both chaotic and stealth paths are fully fleshed out now and have a nice arsenal, it's a really cool game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

Games have benefited greatly from the technology of other industries in a way early film really couldn't.
Yeah, it irks me a tiny bit when people do things like compare video game development to movie industry development 1:1 as if the early arcades from the 70's are comperable to the early movies from the end of the XIXth century. Then all sorts of oversimplified parallels are drawn between Hollywood and gaming history which maybe look nice on paper but don't really add up. Cultural context and surrunding media are everything, games didn't evolve in a vacuum.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

bloodychill posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn finished and platinumed. It was so good and like Nioh and New Doom completely caught me by surprise. I hope people I convinced to buy it like Palpek enjoy it as much as I did.
Hey, I bought it a couple of days ago and it downloaded overnight. I played a bit today before work and I already really like the setting - starting off going through a Fallout vault got me hooked and this mix of tribes/robot dinos/dead advanced civilization seems to be somewhat enough of its own thing to stay interesting even if similar settings were done in games before. The game looks gorgeous, I can already say it'll totally be my poo poo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hello,

This week Hello Games will be releasing the next content update for No Man's Sky. We're calling it the Path Finder Update; it introduces a new vehicle that will aid home planet exploration, building on the Foundation Update to hint at a path ahead for the future.

Detailed patch notes will be released when the update goes live.

Shortly after we launched the Foundation Update, we released a number of patches to address issues reported by players before beginning work on the Path Finder update. We were surprised and excited by the response to Foundation, and we have been listening carefully to community feedback since then.

To those of you who have spent time sharing feedback, whether positive or negative, we are listening.

This is the next step in our journey. It shows the path forward. We hope you'll join us.

Thank you,
Hello Games

i will not join you sorry
At this point even if No Man's Sky got a 2.0 update that makes it incredible it doesn't matter. There was half a dozen fantastic games released in the last few months, NMS is a faint memory now, even people who hated it don't give a poo poo anymore.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lizard Wizard posted:

I want this as a Witcher 3 mod
That would be great because it would give some continuity to the dragon story that was one of the main things in Witcher 2 and then disappeared. I mean, outside of resolving it with some lovely official comic book where the dragon lady suddenly grew giant tits.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The sequel to Shadow of Mordor is looking more and more promising. You're raising a huge army from the start now to bring down fortresses, you can have spies infilitrate those first, you can ride fire-breathing dragons, use the ring. The nemesis system got expanded a lot where for example the abilities of orcs you promote in your army will influence the defenses of your fortresses etc. I'm hopeful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9D7RTPI7yM

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

the NPCs in armed & dangerous have horrifying 3d models, as best exemplified by the closing cutscene where they are underlit and its like a bunch of haunted doll.
Let me tell you about Mortyr:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Horizon is good. I like the combat a lot. Also while I'm looking forward to Shadow of War I must say that watching the trailer right after a session with Horizon made SoW look pretty dated. It's funny how quickly these things shift.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ah yes, my favorite "something something dota, something something creepa" song.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CJacobs posted:

What's the mystery? It says right there that fat cat is the one that took the cake. Seems like it's already solved to me!
The myster is why? Cats lack sweet taste receptors.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I thought both Monkey Islands and Sam & Max were pretty doable puzzle-wise compared to some Sierra games. Sure that there was that one monkey wrench thing but it was possible to beat those games without a guide. Another thing entirely were those adventure games where you could screw your game by using up an item where it wasn't intended (King's Quest) or not picking up something important and irreversibly losing access to the area without the game ever informing you. Now that was some true bullshit.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

In King's Quest for example you needed to guess a gnome's name. That character is a refernce to Rumpelstiltskin (you have to know that on your own, the game doesn't include that name) but that's not the right answer.

In a totally different location in the game you can find a random message that says 'sometimes things are backwards' or something like that and if for some reason you connected that concept with the gnome's name you'd get Nikstlitslepumr...but that's also wrong.

The right answer is that instead of inverting the word itself you should have thought about inverting the alphabet and replace each A-Z letter with its Z-A counterpart so you'd get Ifnkovhgroghprm you big dummy!

• Locked thread