Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lobok posted:

Robin:
"Ghoti" is "fish"?

Batman:
See here. English phonetics. GH becomes F, as in "tough" or "laugh". O becomes I as in "women". TI becomes SH as in "ration" or the word "nation".

Robin:
Holy semantics, Batman. You never cease to amaze me!

Batman:
No time for compliments, Robin. We must thwart some criminals. To the Batmobile!
Yeah, you'd have to be Batman to solve some Sierra puzzles.

Another one in King's Quest (can't remember which one) involved a gold coin. You'd find a gold coin and there was a shop with an item that would let you solve a puzzle. The game would let you use the gold coin to buy it, pretty straightforward, right?

Except you just got owned sucka because it turns out that the item can obtained from the shop in a different way later on and then much further into the game you have to bribe somebody with the precious gold coin that you spent in the shop hours earlier and now (considering that you actually came to the conclusion that the game in unwinnable) you have to restart the game. The mechanic of buying an item in the shop existsts solely for the purpose of loving the player over.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Scrublord Prime posted:

The Rumplestiltskin puzzle is at least optional, if you can't guess his hosed up name in three tries you can take an alternate route to the cloud/mountain area and you'll just miss getting a perfect score.
Fun fact is that this was modified in the later releases of of King's Quest, the original version from 1984 required you to solve it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

While we're talking adventure games - Syberia 3 releases next month and although I felt like the story was already wrapped up I'm still looking forward to it because hell, it's Sokal.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

https://i.imgur.com/LP61Fzz.gifv

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

All 3 Quakes had amazing multiplayer but for different reasons. Q1 was the most brutal one imo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I played Quake 1 multi in the computer class at school, we would regularly play 10 person LAN matches, it was amazing. The game was tough because maybe 2 rocket hits would kill you so you had to stay extremely vertically mobile at all times which was pretty groundbreaking at the time (I think Duke3D's multi was the first one to put so much emphasis on mobility).

I played Quake 2's multi already via the internet and that was the poo poo because people online were way better than my buddies. I remember even playing some total conversions like Chaos that gave you all sorts of weird weapons from crossbows to 10 types of weird grenades - multi was pretty fun there too.

It's the enormous success of Quake 2's multi that made Quake 3's multiplayer-only idea even possible because Q2 had an insane online following.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't agree that consecutive Quakes felt like evolution, it's more like those games branched out. There's a reason why Quakeworld was still its own thing long after Q3's release, it just played differently imo. It's a faster game where you had to balance how much damage you can do to yourself in order to get a mobility edge over others.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

I played the poo poo out of Q3 Arena first on Dreamcast and then properly on PC. I remember looking at previews for it in Game Informer and thinking "how can graphics get any better than this." Despite all odds graphics have found a way to get better since then but I was totally blown away at the time.
Everybody list your game-graphics shock moments:

Doom 2 (at the time second 3D game I've ever seen after Wolfenstein 3D)
Quake 2 (woah you can't see pixels, how is this possible)
GTA 3 (oh my god, you can run in any direction in a giant 3D city with no loading screens, what?)
Burnout 3 Takedown (I told my cousin that this is how real-life cars look and it will be hard to get better than this)
Oblivion (the classic out-of-the-cave moment many people had)
LA Noire (facial animations)
Battlefront (I was actually shocked how much this game literally looked like Star Wars movies at all times)
Uncharted 4 would be the latest one where I really felt a jump in quality in comparison to other games

There were probably a few others that I forgot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Where did the idea that his account was being hacked even come from though? Did something actually happen or do you people mean he got e-mails saying that somebody attempted to guess his passwords which is what his tweet is suggesting? Or maybe I missed something?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Night in the Woods looks great and I only heard good things about it. I haven't bought it yet though, finishing HZD will probably take weeks and then there's Nioh, Nier: A and Yakuza 0 to buy and that's like half of this year set for me already.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

catgirl aesthetics that are keeping me away.
What the hell are you talking about?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

Well in this game you are a catgirl in a cartoony animal land. That kind of art style is appealing to some but offputting to me.
Don't play it then.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Harrow posted:

I'd say The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Breath of the Wild are the three best open world games I've ever played, and they all do something better than the others do.
I haven't played Breath of the Wild but to me Red Dead Redemption sits right next to TW3 and HZD. It was just such a fantastic gameworld to roam through, even the activities you had to repeat were fun and the random encounters were as good as what TW3 did.

I can't wait to play RDR2, if it releases in 2017 like currently suggested then this year is truly going to be insane.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I just went to metacritic remembering that I haven't been there for a while and I discovered that there's a new Samurai Jack season released on Adult Swim and people are raving about it so I'll definitely check it out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Guy Mann posted:

The premiere ep was awesome, being on Adult Swim let them get really weird with it and since it's a set 8-episode series there's going to be an overarching plot and a set ending.

From what little we hear of him so far the soundalike they get to voice Aku is just off enough to remind you that Mako is dead and gone, but that's just one of those things you have to roll with.
Cool, I don't care that much about the original voice actors but I really liked the original show atmosphere/pacing/action so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It would be great if this thread didn't burst into rigtheous anger every single day. Like, if you must discuss things then discuss them but give other posters the benefit of the doubt and be more respectful instead of looking for targets to unload your frustrations on.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Pathologic remake has a free demo on Steam now. It's also self-contained story separate from the main game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, enough is enough, this is going nowhere. Racism is bad, kids are dumb, congratulations. You're basically making this thread D&D for people who can't put enough effort to make a proper argument so they'll drop their hot takes in the games chat thread to feel better about themselves.

Shut up about things other than games for the next day. No people talk, just games. Talk about what games you play and what you like about them.

Make a Jontron thread if you want so that I can gas it in a week.

Thanks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'd wait for more people to play Andromeda before dogpiling on it. People realized pretty quickly when Dragon Age 2 was awful so it's not like there's some extreme headstart needed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kai Tave posted:

I just want to post some about Mass Effect without having to post in the Mass Effect thread, please don't make me do that.
You can do that, it's cool to read about game impressions even if you're just watching a stream. I just wrote my opinion on dogpiling when people who chime in are like 'heh, this one review says it's bad, I called it, it's time to poo poo all over the game before it's even out :smuggo:'

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordja posted:

The best videogame hacking is in EYE: Divine Cybermancy. :colbert:
Agreed, hacking an ATM is only cool when it can hack you back.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

This duck games talk reminded me that I really liked Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow but I played it years ago.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

mutata posted:

I joke among my game dev friends about bringing back "the golden age of advertainment" when they did fully-featured, full-price video games based on brands and products like Cool Spot and Chester Cheetah and poo poo. They laugh but inside I'm only half-joking.
You mean like Disney Infinity :v:.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lol is this real?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

That's just the tip of the DOOTberg.
Seriously, something like this would drive me nuts. It's like an annoying tic you can't stop noticing and then everybody has it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I remember that there's a mod that extends conversation options to full sentences instead of "hate the news" which apparently makes a pretty big difference. I don't own the game though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

Who's more insufferable, the fan who thinks all games in a series are unconditionally 10/10 or the one who votes everything down to 0 on metacritic because it's not like [15 year old golden standard that nothing else can ever live up to].
I suggest we actually don't discuss this poo poo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm really looking forward to Prey.

I'll get ME:A on a heavy discount in a year and play it with an ugly Shepard.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Link the video, I haven't seen it yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm not mad or anything because I only spent two hours making it but it's still a bummer to get such a low payout
Maybe you just found a way of monetizing youtube by spending 2 hours on a video every time a big youtube drama happens.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just lol at the Sniper: Ghost Warrior series.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Isn't Ghost Warrior the series that's a bad rip off of Sniper Elite? I haven't played either of them.
Nah, the game does its own thing really but it's still a janky as hell Eastern European FPS and each sequel is always the number 1 best seller in Germany across all platforms for some reason.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

I lost interest in the one sniper elite game I played really fast when the game kept making me do poo poo that wasn't sniping.
Sniper Elite and Sniper: Ghost Warrior are different series.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They should make a sniper game that takes camping in multiplayer games and expands upon it, I bet it would sell.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's not that fun when it's not the most dangerous game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Recently my favorite little TW3 theme is the one that starts right after you discover some morbid scene and Geralt says 'hmm, lots of blood and decapitated limbs, let's look around'. It's a bit horror'y, I have no idea what it's called.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Geralt: Mmm, the shepherd's head is missing, only one creature has the strength to do this - the Megavampire.

Geralt: Mmm, it doesn't smell like Megavampire though, it was the shepherd's wife.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jay Rust posted:

Who would you want to write it?
Chris Metzen

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Smoking kills.