Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lobok posted:

^^Dang, is that for real? I had his beard shaved off not too long ago and just yesterday I was like "hm, his stubble looks thicker than I remember".

yeah as you keep playing it has like 4 or 5 levels of stubble and full beard growth. you can go to a haircut place, which are sort of obscure to find in towns, and opt to have it trimmed. It really sold the passage of time and I loved coming out of a long questline seeing how aged I looked from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

they have a turian but no word yet on if she's cool

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Is there going to be a summer drought this year for people to use to catch up with the ton of good releases over the past 6 months? I get the feeling a lot of people are going to need it.

Injustice 2, Prey, and The Surge come out in May, and the only big games I know of that come out June/July/Aug are Tekken 7 and then Shadow of War 2 months later.

I think Splat2n and ARMS also come out during that timeframe but from June until like November I don't see any real confirmed big releases. It will give me enough time to finish Nier, Persona, and hopefully also play Horizon so I'm good with this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The list of bugs and design issues keeps shrinking, but there are still some outstanding big ones....

"Fixed excessive AI "back-off" Holy gently caress thank God. This poo poo pissed me off SO badly.

BexGu posted:

What are big ones to look out for before buying now?

Well, not telling you what a single loving item does before you buy it is a glaring omission, but luckily you can alt-shift out of steam and see the guides for all that right there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Skyward Sword is the only Zelda I never finished and will probably never finish. I even finished Spirit Tracks. Having brighter colors doesn't make up for how awful everything about the flying was or how incredibly dull and linear the overworld was. And fuuuuuuuck the writing in that game.

I liked Ghirahim but man gently caress fighting that guy and that big black lump with legs like 3 loving times each. I already hate zelda boss battles but that just took the cake.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

seems funny to compare Zelda to the game where Todd Howard said "you see that mountain? you can go there" which was a complete lie, while the opposite is true in BotW

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the best mass effect game would be if Sega steals most of the RPG elements and applies them to a Binary Domain sequel

poo poo just put Binary Domain on consoles again since it's weird to run on PCs for some reason

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

removing jontron from the spiritual revival of one of his favorite games is a p. cool punishment. they should replace his VA with the other gamegrump for maximum laughs

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Writing video games is hard.

A major factor is that video games by definition can't follow the same writing rules as books or movies. They need extremely different pacing in a way that is incredibly hard to do well. In addition you're forced to deal with a 'character arc' for the protagonist that rarely to ever follows the set rules of what we're used to and which often are unsatisfying. Writers depend on being able to have a lot more control over a character than a video game offers because by necessity a video game has to put the player in control and what makes for good writing doesn't often make for good gameplay.

I've found the best games writing comes from total madmen, like Suda51, Yoko Taro, or SWERY. I'd put Kojima on there as well, solely because he attempts to do things with storytelling in games you otherwise could never do with other mediums. There are great traditional storytellers of course but the guys who really stretch what's only possible in an interactive setting do some very fun things.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

precision posted:

RPGs in particular keep doing the most annoying thing in the world, which is when you meet someone and then you have between 5 (Bioware) and 10 (Obsidian) conversation options which all boil down to "So who are you?"

I don't know who in the world likes clicking on all of them in a row, or why none of them have tried to streamline it by editing down all the :mordin: into one compelling dialogue chunk instead of several bite size "Why'd you join?" "OK, where's your family?" "OK, what are your goals?" type things. It's something I had to specifically call out as something I would really prefer not to do and they reacted as if I was crazy until I went at it for 30 minutes on Why It's Bad.

a lot of older games do that to pad out poo poo and it's really quite worthless, it should just flat out run that question on autopilot and move on to other viable dialogue choices. even worse is when you are REQUIRED to go through all 4 choices ANYWAY so it's even more pointless.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

somebody legit wrote a gigantic thesis on jontron this is embarrassing poo poo

https://www.icze4r.org/e/00/jon.html

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Me, as I feebly raise my emaciated arms to ward off another blow from the camp guard: "I know you have a family, hopes, dreams, and feelings."

Edit: I decided to read that and "19 gigabytes of saved Jontron videos" is the new "R'yleh!" I don't think my sanity can take this.

my favorite line was probably "There are hundreds upon hundreds of millions of people with actual problems in their lives, and you're mad on the Internet. You are not the well-adjusted one here" written with zero self-awareness about a youtube funnyman who is being crucified so we may live

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I had some genius compare my unwillingness to meet nazis halfway with the oppression of homosexuals in the early 1900s.

lol jesus this whole site is batshit, here have an article about befriending KKK members because "love trumps hate" https://www.icze4r.org/a/20/25.safe.html

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LOL had no idea homosexual people were responsible for almost wiping out an entire race through war and genocide. must have skipped that history lesson

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Role-play-em-up
Real-time-strategy-em-up
Character-action-em-up
Date-em-up

Works.

No More Heroes: slash 'em up
Killer 7: nightmare assassin sim
Nier Automata: historical revision action
Resident Evil 7: in-laws survival horror

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Thinking of getting a PS4 this summer. Is this good idea and if so what should I play on it (note that I don't have a good computer so crossplatform stuff is fine)

Yakuza 0, the best Shenmue game never made

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ularg posted:

Gonna have a good weekend:

(No one cares but me :()

you're a brave soul trying to play 2 big open-world games at once, I had to make the tough call to only choose one

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

The time is right. Here's hoping for Milo 2.0

Peter Molyneux with the much-awaited Milo Yiannopolous simulator

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not sure why anyone would throw out the wiiu before Switch even has a virtual console or ports of stuff like smash bros, bayonetta, and donkey kong TF.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i used to stand by the "bethesda games are good with mods" train pretty hard but i think at some point something in my brain snapped and i can't stand them anymore, with or without mods

I really hope Todd Howard and his team take a good hard look at their engine they used for Fallout 4, and then throw it in the trash.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Earth Table posted:

Is MKX on the PS4 worth checking out? I'm guessing the online community is pretty dead by now, but I know that it has a story mode and it could make for a fun cheap game for when friends are over.

it's up there with some other fighting games as having a large amount of content to do by yourself with trial towers, regular arcade poo poo, story mode, and other fun unlockable stuff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Earth Table posted:

is there Toasty! tho

Yes

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wish someone would rip off the Ogre Battle gameplay type, not even indie kickstarters have caught on to this dead genre yet

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man this looks ugly

Sakurazuka posted:

Two games isn't really a genre

it could have been :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Found a good deal on Craigslist to buy Horizon Zero Dawn for $30. They also have Watchdogs 2, Uncharted 4 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Any of those worth $30?

DXMD is not worth your time or money. Watchdogs 2 I can't say but if you're going to buy one open world game in Horizon then I'm not sure if WD2 will offer anything else, though it's an improvement over the first. Uncharted 4 is pretty good if not boring towards the end; also its multiplayer is actually really fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope the next From Software game is designed by Hideki Kamiya and your character has a bazillion moves, fights against a cosmic upside-down kingdom, and runs at 60fps on consoles. The Enigmatic Darkbloode, coming 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phantasium posted:

cool, then the dark souls team can make a Castlevania

man I wish Konami would have sold that IP off, or at least had let someone other than loving MercurySteam turn it into a bargain bin God of War.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Maybe they'll make the new Armored Core have Souls gameplay

It's being made by the Lords of the Fallen people so I wouldn't get your hopes up

Team Ninja has a wildly fluctuating history with their games developed ranging from good to nuclear poo poo and Nioh came out extremely well. I'm optimistic that the LOTF guys learned something from their last outing at the very least

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

One of the big problems with Destiny behind the scenes was that the devtools were a huge loving mess and made it hard to design new scenarios. So basically it's all going to come down to "did they fix their poo poo" for the new one.

I remember enjoying Destiny with friends when it first came out and then the well kind of dried up. The Taken King and all the other expansions should have just been a part of the loving game at release, because as-is it was sorely lacking in solid content.

It didn't help that Destiny devs were new at this kind of thing so they changed poo poo like currencies and rewards and ways to upgrade things multiple loving times. Imagine playing this game and seeing the overall system morph like 3 times in the span of several months. It was ridiculous and I cannot fathom how people still played all the way up to this day.

That being said the aesthetics, presentation, and gun gameplay were fantastic but I would not pick up D2 unless the devs know exactly what they actually want to loving do with this. I'm cautiously optimistic since it was a fun ride while it lasted but you need like 30 or so strikes off the bat and a shitload of stuff to do or it's going to be boorish to play for the average non-Stockholm Syndrome player after a few weeks. Moving away from X360 and PS3 gives me hope that they'll be able to create things without restrictions.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I can't remember the name, but I remember that it came out and it was unbelievably bad. It's full of those adventure game puzzles where if you didn't want to hit a bad end, you should have left and reentered a room an hour earlier and examined an object that didn't look interactable at all, and wasn't the first time you entered the room. I think it's pretty lenient with reloading from earlier points, but yeah.

lol that was NightCry, right? Awful.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I am excited for actual Persona 5 reviews today in about 3 hours

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It is really, really good, but be warned that the game is not afraid to do said ripping and tearing and if you are like me and have a huge heart, lots more ripping and tearing will happen and it will not be good for you

I'm in the middle of Route 2 and so far nothing really made me sad except for the part about the forest "king." I'm anxious for what else could be that bad.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's going to strike you like a loving snake hiding in the bushes my dude, and it'll feel real bad. But that's how you know the game is good!

haha good, at this rate the game is enjoyable enough but the aspect of route 2 so far for me is less about "oh this new combat is fun" and more about "ok when will things pick up and I can stop retreading things". so I've been anxious about when things truly diverge

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

The trick is to not treat it like an open world. Just do the mission and get out. By usual open world standards there is next to nothing to do in the world that isn't mission related.

This. I never thought of MGSV as an open world, more like a hub that happened to house other random things to find and the overall map where other missions took place. It was kind of annoying calling the helicopter and not being able to simply fast travel to another map location without going ALL the way home, though. Even with that plus the grind to get certain, totally optional weaponry (you can beat most of the game with very basic tools except maybe the godawful boss battles) it still stands out as one of the best stealth action games ever. To this day I still get disappointed when I can't go from a run to a leaping dive and into a roll in any 3rd person shooters. Honestly that's partially why I tried Wildlands thinking it would be like MGSV and being incredibly put off by how stiff and lovely it was. Any game like that just feels stiff after playing MGSV.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sit in a cardboard box at a delivery point and a truck will pick you up. Then you can pick a destination to go, assuming you have picked up the delivery slip at that place.

lol gently caress I always forgot about that.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did Kojima bring over much of his team to the new studio? If they are working on making Horizon's engine even better that seems like a glorious revolution

quite a few people who worked on FOX engine stuff, cinematics, and general developers from the Konami team joined him, as well as having Mark Cerny onboard to help produce. by all accounts, with the excellent new Guerilla engine plus Cerny plus Sony's blank check, they'll probably get to reach the potential of the Fox Engine or beyond.

Here's an article about his team composition of people from Konami: http://www.indieobscura.com/article/834/hideo-kojima-expands-death-stranding-team-with-ex-konami-staff

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

even if they brought the team over whole hog having to recreate an entire game engine entirely from scratch that took 4-odd years to build the first time around is not something trivial to do

luckily the gueriila team basically handed them the entire engine to play with so that's a decent start

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Persona reviews are in. Not surprised to see those largely high scores

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Palmer Luckey has been let go from Facebook, looks like. Is this the first man fired for memes?

lol if anyone thought VR was gonna take off, just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Snak posted:

I can't believe anyone still wants or cares about Half Life 3. That's as bad as Firefly fans...

your best bet if you really want to play a new Half-Life badly is to hope Arkane makes a doppelganger of it, they'd be my pick to come closest to that kind of thing.

Lakbay posted:

Any hyped or notable releases between Persona 5 and Prey? Looks like we're getting back to a normal release schedule after The Gaming Deluge of 2017

The Surge, Injustice 2. After that it's like, Tekken 7 in June and then a long stretch of nothing, though Ruiner might come out in that timeframe.

• Locked thread