Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Miyamoto??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Was the reporter a terrible person?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Al Gore should start clocking global warming deniers

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

You're allowed to be a sex criminal as long as you're also Jewish in the film world.

Uh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought Nintendo was Japanese

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That was a dick post, so I looked it up but all I can find are articles like this one from last January, saying that the Switch is not region-locked!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Tbh the one that comes to mind is shmorky because goddamn some of the flash tub stuff is just amazing but now there's that stink of shmork about it

I understand that shmorky is a crazy person but what did he do wrong?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yiiiiiikes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I really don't like these Psyche-Locks in Phoenix Wright 2, i.e. presenting evidence to witnesses during the investigation sequences. It runs into that terrible adventure game problem, "Am I not thinking correctly, or do I just lack the correct item for the moment?" Plus, since your wrong answers get penalized with both health damage and several seconds of text scrolling, it's really mellowing my enthusiasm for this series

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you dismantle the first two out of three locks, but find that you maybe don't have the correct item for the last one, when you return later you have to dismantle the first two all over again. It might only take ten to fifteen seconds but it's such a waste of time. It's just... bad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And that's why Mass Effect is the assured GotY

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If a game isn't available on PC, it doesn't exist.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Every year is a good year if you're a gamer

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Phoenix Wright has been interesting, because usually it's the defence attorneys who are depicted as slimy slimeballs in media, not the prosecutors

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played the new Torment for about an hour and a half, and the writing is really fatiguing. Everyone sounds like they're reading from the same undergrad's philosophy midterm essay, using synonymous adjectives every few lines to increase the word count

Of course, maybe I find it fatiguing because I'm tired

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you named your kid Aeris or Rinoa, would you tell them where it's from, and risk your kid losing all respect for you?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Play multiplayer games with your friends, it's a guaranteed good time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah well I'm a hippie so Cloud and Squall are A-OK

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So is Dishonored 2 any good?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Would you date a girl named "Miserable"?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What I'll end up doing is just take my name and spell it backwards, like Alucard or that guy in Snatcher

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This poo poo is fascinating to me

quote:

From one of the Final Fantasy Games. My daughters name is Rinoa. It is as unique as she is. A lot of people try to pronounce it Rinella! But its just like Noahs ark with a R at the front. We call her Rinbug.

quote:

We also named our daughter this, and as previously said, most people unfortunately have a hard time pronouncing it. The most common mis-pronounciation for us is Rinola. Didn't think 5 little letters would be so hard! Our nicknames for her seem to help though...Rin, Noa, and our favorite, Rinny.

quote:

As I am a "Rinoa" I have lived with being called granola,Rinola,Rinona, Etc... So people spell me name R-i-n-o-a-h .. They were soo close... Lol... Anyways... My mom called me Rinoa of of Rinoa Heartily... I guess that's all.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

We named our daughter (born in 2015) Aerith because of the character in FF VII. Her middle name is Lilly, also because of the character selling lillies.

quote:

I named my daughter Aeris. My name is Amanda and my husband's name is Alex. We loved the name Aeris, having heard it while playing Final Fantasy, and we liked the alliteration of "A" names. It is certainly a unique name, and it makes her stand out. I also love that it sounds like "heiress". Good karma!!

quote:

I also named my daughter Aeris. My other two children have more classic names (James and Allison), so with our youngest, we decided to do something a little more unique, like Amanda and Alex. We also got the name from Final Fantasy. Another name we were thinking of using was Reece (a family surname), but Aeris just seemed like a better fit.

quote:

My oldest daughter's name is Aeris. I knew it came from a video game, which I wasn't too keen on, but it was such a pretty and odd name that I said okay to her daddy's request. The only thing she doesn't like about it, is that no one can pronounce her name correctly... they call her Aries, like the horoscope.

quote:

My own name is Aeris and the only things I hate are how people misspell and mispronounce my name, or how similar other, more common names are to it (Erin, Erica, Eric, etc.). Basically like the one in the comment above. Really, if you name your child Aeris, just keep in mind that it might offend her a little when someone she's really close to misspells her name.

There's a common thread here.

Being upset that unilingual English-speakers don't know how to pronounce your non-English name is fair, because that's on them for being ignorant. But being upset that unilingual English-speakers don't know how to pronounce your dumb dopey video game name is a little silly. That's my hot take anyway

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

According to Wikipedia, JonTron will be voicing a character in that yooka-layle game, so that's good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't scare the birds, it'll give away your position, also you should shoot the birds to scare them and give away your position

Cool game, I assume that you quit at the end of the video

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is the gun useful for anything except scaring birds?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I do like the Definitely Not From Metal Gear "call" icon...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

My cat of 14 years died today. I'm afraid I will always associate this amazing Zelda game with the death of my cat.

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Games had the misfortune of maturing in an Internet-enabled world

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You need those nipple bolts or else the dummy falls apart

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish Japanese developers consulted me before settling on a final name for their game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What does "serious" mean in that context

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

precision posted:

In that context, it only means "devotes their whole life to it and attempts or succeeds at making it their primary "job" in life".

Pretty much "people who want to be taken seriously" in other words.

e: I guess all I'm saying is "you have to be crazy to devote your whole life to any one artistic thing, doubly so if you're devoting your life to talking about other people doing that thing"

I don't agree with that at all. Or maybe I'm not clear on what you mean by "devoting your life to one thing", because lots of people devote their lives to one thing, such as pretty much any professional, be they doctors, journalists, lawyers, athletes, scientists, teachers... I don't see what's crazy about a professional critic being a professional critic. It's easier than being a professional artist, that's for sure

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All I want is ethical games journalism

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Woah?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sure gramps, enjoy your bloops and bleeps

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Once it's been proven that one is obviously objectively better than the other

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gone Home is about two hours long for a first playthrough and is really really good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have to be able to look at the game I'm playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think Geno looked dumb

• Locked thread