Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like Horizon so far, which actually surprises me. I do have a higher tolerance than I admit for open world gently caress-around games, but I really appreciate that Horizon doesn't litter its map with a bunch of copy-pasted busywork objectives and that the side quests at least have some story to them. The Witcher 3 it certainly ain't, but just because something isn't amazing doesn't mean it isn't still good.

Plus, fighting robot dinosaurs is fun and so is light stealth with overpowered whistle-luring and silent takedowns so :black101: let's do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'

I think Horizon's definitely good, but it doesn't exactly shatter expectations. It's a fairly standard open-world action RPG, with all that the term entails in 2017, with the exception of a lack of Far Cry/Assassin's Creed-style busywork icon hunting. Its big draw is that fighting the robot dinosaurs is fun, and it definitely is, but that's mainly what makes it unique. If you threw Rise of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 4, and The Witcher 3 (well, without the super-involved side quests) in a blender, you'd end up with Horizon.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think you can watch gameplay footage and get a sense of how you'll like it. I saw Nioh gameplay and knew it would be rad. I am still excited for Horizon but seeing multiple people cheese encounters by hiding in the grass and whistling over and over has me slightly more skeptical

The whistling is definitely overpowered. It needs to be a little less directed. Right now, it seems like you'll only ever lure one robot at a time if you whistle, but I think it should lure more than one if they're standing close together or there's one closer to you than the one you're aiming at. Y'know, add a little risk to it. If nothing else, you can't do instant takedowns on the really big, cool robots, so those fights are always going to be as big and bombastic as they should. But you can definitely cheese standard robodinos by luring them into the grass and stabbing them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Splatoon this summer is when Im jumping in. Only reason I'm not picking it up now tbh is that it's still possible (likely?) for their initial slate of announcements to be delayed since nothing really has a date outside of Zelda.

Me, too. Gonna get in when Splatoon 2 drops and play Zelda then, too. Until then, I'll be happy with Nier, Persona 5, and apparently Prey actually looks kind of okay?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope some videos of the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild come out today. If even the Switch has occasional crippling frame rate issues, I can't imagine what the Wii U does (or what it has to give up to avoid worse issues).

That said the reason I want to see how the Wii U version looks is because I want to play this game so badly goddamn. Everything about its design looks like exactly what I've wanted out of a Zelda game for years now and in the Easy Allies review I saw that you can get :krad: laser swords and shields which is even better.

I wonder if the creator of Hyper Light Drifter had any idea that his Zelda-like would end up with a really similar setting to the next actual Zelda game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In that case I wonder what graphical things it had to give up to maintain its frame rate on the weaker Wii U. Resolution I can live with pretty easily (hell, I played Nioh mostly in 720-900p) but I think I'd be sad about decreased environment detail. One thing I'm enjoying a lot about Horizon is just how lush all the plants and grasses look, and Breath of the Wild (at least on the Switch) seems to have that going on, too, just in a more stylized, primary color way. If the Wii U version has to skimp too much on that I'll probably force myself to wait until I get a Switch just because I'm a massive sucker for "pretty."

Anyway I'm sure Digital Foundry will put out a comparison video today or tomorrow, if nothing else.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I'm just gonna buy it for wii u

Well I'm not sure I could find a switch at this point anyway, didn't they sell out everywhere

Supposedly, some GameStops and I think Best Buys will have Switches on launch day for people who didn't preorder, but I'd guess they're going to sell out really quickly in most places, so I wouldn't bank on getting a Switch any time soon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I'm going to assume Zelda is a better open-world game than Horizon and I'm probably not getting a Switch anytime soon

Zelda does have a lot in common with Horizon structurally, from what I can tell (and, by extension, with *gasp* Ubisoft open-world games), right down to climbing towers to scout out areas of your map. Of course, Zelda was already doing a lot of the things that are now considered "standard" open-world things long before they became standard, like mini-dungeons that you do for upgrades and multiple types of collectibles scattered everywhere, and those are definitely still around.

It's just that it also looks like Zelda gives you a huge amount of ways to interact with that open world that look like a whole lot of fun, not to mention the whole thing looks pretty staggeringly huge. I'd guess that the sheer amount of ways to interact with the world helps make it feel like a more unique and adventurous experience than other recent open-world games.

I said come in! posted:

Easy Allies on Youtube is my favorite place to get reviews. They were formally GameTrailers. They gave Breath of the Wild on Switch a 4.5/5 with their only complaint being the real bad frame rate issues that they said they encountered throughout the entire 60 hours they played. They liked the survival mechanics, weapon durability, difficulty, dungeons, and graphics.

Yeah, Easy Allies is great and their reviews are quality. They were the first thing I ever supported on Patreon, actually.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I like the content of their reviews but i find the scores dont line up very well. When a game is bad they still give it a 3. I have to look but im not sure they've given a 2 or 1 yet at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if their scores are somewhat inflated. I think they try for objectivity but they're all really enthusiastic about what they like. And they generally seem to give review duties to reviewers who really like that genre or series, so there's probably a baseline enthusiasm factor boosting the review scores. I think they're an outlet that would benefit from ditching numerical scores entirely.

haveblue posted:

A while ago Eurogamer switched to giving out Essential/Recommended/Avoid and just the review text if the game didn't merit any of those.

Yeah, I'm a fan of that approach. It still leads to basically the same backlash as unfavorable/too favorable review scores (like, the comments on the Horizon review, which is just the text with no recommendation, weren't pretty) but I think it allows for a little more nuance than a numerical score does.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ekster posted:

Can't wait for future online gamers to inject insults directly into my brain.

In the future, when a 12-year-old calls you a "cock-chewing shitbird," your brain will make you believe you are a cock-chewing shitbird. It's all very immersive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made the mistake of comparing the Switch and Wii U visuals for Zelda and the Wii U version's pretty awful color contrast is sort of a dealbreaker :negative:

I know, I know, this shouldn't matter to me, but it's noticeable enough that I think I'd feel like I was cheating myself out of a really pretty game by not waiting to play it on a Switch, whenever I can actually get one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Definitely seems a bit strong at first glance but that's what a bunch of PTR testing is for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Is this what it's like to care whether you get a TN or IPS on your 3DS?

Probably, yes. I've spoiled myself with PC gaming on a really nice monitor so I care way too much now about things like color contrast and depth.

Regy Rusty posted:

Lmao dude they look almost identical

I guess it could be that people uploading Switch videos are encoding their videos well while people uploading Wii U videos aren't? But it seems like a pretty sharp difference to me. I guess it probably depends on the TV you're using to play it, too, so maybe I wouldn't notice on an actual TV, I dunno.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I watched a video showing two of them side by side and could barely tell any difference at all. You'll especially not notice when you're only playing one of them. Why deprive yourself of this game you want to play for months because of such a minor issue???

I only keep hounding you about it because you've been handwringing about the same thing for ages now trying to convince yourself. :cheeky:

Your hounding is 100% justified. You're definitely not wrong.

That said, I did look around some more and it honestly might come down to video encoding differences. Like, Polygon's video is super high-contrast but videos uploaded by other people are really very different. There's enough of a difference in the color depth that I can tell if I look at them side-by-side, but on an actual TV, I probably wouldn't notice. Same for the difference between 720p and 900p. You're right, though, I should just jump in. Good excuse to finally buy another controller for the Wii U, too--the fact that this doesn't use the tablet at all means I'd rather play it with a Pro Controller and for some reason I never got one of those for my Wii U.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

So if you already own a Wii U, is there any reason to buy a Switch at the moment? I'm very ignorant

Well, assuming you can get a Switch now and/or in the next couple of weeks:

1. How excited are you for Splatoon 2? If "very excited," you should probably get a Switch by summer. If "regular excited" or below, move on to question 2.

2. How about if you can get both Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey? If that sells you, get a Switch by November or so.

It's possible you'll want one sooner if, for some reason, you really care if your Breath of the Wild save is on the same system you'll be using to play Nintendo games for the next few years (not that unreasonable if you don't want to have both hooked up or juggle systems and you're looking forward to the future DLC, by the way), but otherwise, those are the big things for 2017.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

So why are you Switch-buyers buying a Switch right now? I'm very ignorant

There's definitely a thrill with being an early adopter of a new tech thing. I also think the "which system is your Zelda data on" thing might be a driver for early adoption for some people. If you were to get a Switch in the summer and then new Zelda DLC you want to play comes out, you're going back to the Wii U for it. So if you already know you want a Switch by summer or even late 2017, it's not a terrible idea to have preordered one. Not a great one, either, but not a terrible one.

Honestly if I could walk into a store and buy a Switch in the next couple of weeks, I probably would. I got a big enough tax return and have a pretty good amount of money in savings so I feel justified in making one frivolous toy purchase this year. But that seems really unlikely so I'm gonna get the Zelda Wii U version instead.

Phantasium posted:

I'm splurging a bit more because I just paid off my student loans last month. :toot:

As someone currently staring down another like 7 years of repayment, congratulations! :hfive:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People are saying the color depth is worse on the Wii U? What does that actually mean

Wii U has very slightly worse contrast. That means black isn't quite as black, colors in general are a little dimmer, that kind of thing.

Emphasis on the very slightly, though. It's a miniscule difference that is probably 100% unnoticeable when you also factor in the differences in how TVs show colors. It's something that was much more noticeable in the E3 version but, well, that was nine months ago so clearly it changed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the one hand, I want to hold off on getting Zelda since I know it's going to take focus away from Horizon and Nier: Automata.

On the other hand, it's loving Zelda and it looks so good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A bad case of Nintenditis

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is that the only difference?

Resolution is different, too. On the Wii U, it's 720p. On the Switch, it's 900p docked/720p portable. They have similar frame rate issues and everything I can find suggests things like environment detail, texture detail, and draw distance are close to identical.

Right now, I'd say the only reason to wait to play Zelda on the Switch if you didn't already get one is if you think you're going to have a Switch by the time its DLC starts coming out. And even then, I'd say it only matters if you're not willing to keep both your Switch and Wii U hooked up at the same time or just juggle them when you want to play the Zelda DLC.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

So are people actually having a hard time getting Switches? There's 4 of them sitting here at local Wallyworld midday

None at all within a two-hour drive of Madison, WI, which I'm not too surprised about. If I drove two hours away there's a Target in Fond du Lac with plenty in stock but I definitely don't have time for that for the next weekend or two so :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The one thing I'm a little iffy on, gameplay-wise, is how you have to heal using food from the menu. I wish you could slot a healing item to the down arrow on the d-pad or something. (I also generally think using food as an in-combat healing item is kinda silly but whatever I put up with it in Earthbound :v:)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I'll probably play Zelda at some point. Probably.

Not super excited for the Switch but I'm considering breaking out my wiiu to play botw...Is it good, so far? That comment about having to claw to jump worries me.

By default, jump is on X and sprint is on B. I saw someone say you could switch them, though, so you jump and dodge with B and hold X to sprint instead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do they do anything with clicking the left or right stick in Breath of the Wild? If not, I wish they'd just have put sprint on left stick click or something. Because jump doubles as dodge, I think I'm going to have to put it on B because otherwise all of my reflexes will fail me, but X is also kind of an awkward button to hold for sprinting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's not really much in the way of big, hyped-up AAA games left for 2017, is there? Prey is coming in May and that looks like it'll be pretty good. Mass Effect Andromeda has a shot at being good but also might be disappointing. Other than that, what's left?

I know Persona 5 is coming in April but a) we sorta already know it owns, and b) it's a bit too niche to qualify for that big, hyped-up AAA thing anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

We'll certainly get some stuff announced at E3.

True, though I wonder how many E3 announcements will be coming out in 2017 versus announced in 2017/coming out in 2018. The last time I remember a truly big, mega-hyped game being announced and released in the same year was, what, Fallout 4?

It's possible we'll get some 2017 release dates for already-announced games, though. Maybe God of War: Last of Us Edition?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Mass Effect is probably gonna be bad but also get lots and lots of praise lol

I expect it's going to be pretty okay, at least going by the gameplay they're finally showing off, but nothing that'll blow people away.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My expectations for Andromeda are pretty much in the "it's gonna be reasonably fun but not a must-buy" camp right now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of major companies don't have any big releases yet announced for 2017's Christmas season so you can bet they are going to be filling that up. EA probably will have one or more Star Wars titles by that point, a new CawaDudy and Battlefield are not unlikely, probably something from Bethesda besides just Prey, etc, etc. It'll probably be a relatively quiet year but I'm sure we'll get some stuff to be excited about and/or laugh at.

Joke answer: Half-Life 3's time has arrived!

Yeah, I figure we'll get the usual Call of Duty/Battlefield array of things, but those definitely don't generate the same amount of hype (or corresponding hype backlash) that they used to. Which is good, by the way.

At this point, 2017 has earned the right to be called a quiet year. I mean, in just the first two months + a couple days, there's been RE7, Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild, Nier: Automata, and Torment: Tides of Numenera (apparently awesome?); looking out over the next couple of months we have Mass Effect Andromeda (kind of a coin toss right now), Persona 5 (owns), and Prey (looks promising). If the rest of the year takes a nap that's fine by me.

Serf posted:

Didn't Bungie claim that Destiny 2 was still gonna drop in 2017? That would be something to see.

I think that's still supposedly happening, yeah. It's already off to a great start, too! Today, they just announced that dedicated Destiny 1 players can carry over... their character's appearance. And nothing else. People are very pleased about this, especially the ones who (foolishly) spent a ton of money on microtransaction emotes and shaders, and the Destiny subreddit certainly isn't throwing a fit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That moblin's pose at the end just screams "lol owned"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Oh boy, that's an enormous fuckup. People have been talking for a while that what they bring over will most likely have a big effect on actual user transitions between games, and if it turns out the answer is "basically nothing" I expect Destiny 2 to have much lower numbers.

I definitely don't think carrying over levels and gear needs to happen, but people should definitely be able to carry over cool shaders, emblems, and other cosmetics that they have. I guess I could see shaders going away if Destiny 2 ends up with a custom dye system instead of shaders, but maybe give people unique dye colors for rare or real-money shaders?

I figure they're going to redo a lot of gameplay systems so not carrying over gear, levels, etc. makes sense, but I can definitely understand people being mad that they can't carry over cool cosmetics.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Swap the jump button. With the sprint button. So it's the same.

I'll probably end up doing that because dodging with the lowest button (B on the Wii U) is going to be a lot more natural for me after playing a bunch of Nioh and other games that dodge with X on a PS4 controller. But needing to sprint with the top-most button is going to be weird.

I really never understand why games so rarely let you totally remap controls. I think I'd end up putting sprint on R and throw weapon on X or something. Holding down R to run while I turn the camera would be a lot easier, and also way easier to sprint jump.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red Bones posted:

The story is already a bit colonialist, so I'm sorta wondering whether they'll accidentally give it a really weird pro-colonialism message through a botched script rewrite or something. Like the story forgets that you started the whole conflict by trying to settle the bad guy's planet, and then at the end you kill them all and make the united states of space america.

IGN's "first 13 minutes" video they released today suggests that the main conflict will be with some other outside force trying to destroy life in the Andromeda galaxy, not with natives on a planet you're trying to settle. As you close in on the planet you thought was your destination, the space around it is full of weird brown jagged stuff and the planet looks like it's been almost completely destroyed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What I want is for video game developers to join hands and pick a single camera implementation, e.g. where the camera will turn if I press up and to the left on the right analog stick.

I just want all games to let me invert the Y axis because I'm a mutant and I can't play with it non-inverted. Wind Waker on the Wii U is challenging for me because you can't invert the Y axis.

Speaking of: can you invert the camera in Breath of the Wild?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Inverted Y axis is the devil's work.

Hail Satan

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have no idea why I even got used to inverted Y axis in the first place but despite my best efforts I am forever tainted by it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

We should be friends so neither of us has to swap control schemes when passing the controller off

:hfive:

Lobok posted:

A videogame character (well, their head) to me is like a camera on a tripod and moving the joystick is like moving the tripod lever.

Huh, that does make sense looking at it that way. Although for some reason I don't invert the X axis so I guess it's not quite the same (unless I'm getting my spatial reasoning all messed up, which is possible)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lobok posted:

It is the same but the common way of phrasing it as "invert the y axis" isn't really accurate because it implicitly inverts both axes. Otherwise if the x-axis remained the same then when you pressed down-left you'd look/fly up-left which is really strange.

Ahh yeah okay, that makes sense with what I'm trying to imagine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ekster posted:

People who invert an axis in a FPS are just crazy though.

Gotta be the same for first and third person :colbert:

All hail inverted Y axis

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I gotta say, I'm eating my words with Horizon. All of the preview stuff had me thinking it'd be a boring Ubisoft-clone open world busywork-fest with like maybe four cool robot fights so they could use them for preview footage. I was pretty wrong. It doesn't do anything mindblowing with the open world formula, but it just nails the feeling of the core gameplay and the robo-dino fights don't disappoint at all. There's a surprising amount of flexibility in combat and I'm way into that.

It's a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Zelda is the best but does anyone know if there are real dungeons or is it just lots of the mini puzzle shrines

There are real dungeons. Four of them, total. They're apparently not quite as big and sprawling as previous Zelda dungeons but they're much bigger than shrines and have some cool mechanics and bosses.

• Locked thread