Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'm hitting hype backlash on Zelda. I'm about to go finally pick it up but the more I read hyperbolic reactions to it in the Breath of the Wild thread the more skeptical I get.

I don't doubt it's a very, very good open world game, but I feel like people are reacting to things that are general open world conventions as though Breath of the Wild is the first game ever to do them and their mind is blown. Is it just that it's both a very good open world game and also has the Zelda franchise, or are there concrete things about it that really do make it the most incredible open world game ever? Mild gameplay spoilers are okay--I've already spoiled myself on things like how many dungeons there are, so clearly I'm not going in totally blind.

exquisite tea posted:

It is refreshing that Horizon runs at a super stable 30fps and I don't have to endlessly tweak settings like I would on my PC to get ~maximum performance~.

It's also really impressive. It's one of the prettiest games I've ever played, console or PC, and here it is running at a drat-near perfectly stable 30 fps at 1080p on a base PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everyone, video games are so good right now holy poo poo how are games this good

I have Horizon and Zelda going on already and both of them are amazing and Nier Automata is coming soon and holy poo poo video games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh holy poo poo Persona 5 is coming in a month too gently caress yes

If nothing else good comes out this year this'll be an incredible year for games already.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'm finding that I'm really annoyed with myself for not liking Breath of the Wild, for some reason

I'm a huge fan of its world and exploration but I'm hating weapon durability. I gave it the benefit of the doubt before I played it but I honestly think weapons are WAY too fragile. So far I'm like 10 hours in and 95% of the weapons I find don't last two fights.

I still like the basic idea but I think they went way too far with the fragility.

I'm also still loving the game. I usually burn out on "just go explore" worlds quickly but this one's pretty legit. I just dread combat because I rarely feel like I come out having gained anything, or even broke even.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Colonel posted:

it's less that jrpgs were in a bad place at the time and more that the xbox 360 had loving nothing cause nobody in japan really cared about it, so all you really had, especially in 2008, was either tales of vesperia or lost oddyssey

I wish they'd have ported Lost Odyssey to PC or something. It was my favorite game I had for my 360 and was surprisingly good, but my 360 red ringed years ago and I never bothered to get a new one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ubisoft picked the worst possible time to release Wildlands, didn't they? Just hide it under a pile of some of the best open-world games ever made and hope the multiplayer aspect saves it from complete obscurity, I guess?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This is a genuinely insane 3 months for gaming in general. There are multiple GotY contenders and lots of great games all shoved into a time frame that is utterly absurd.

It really is. In just the first three months (plus a week) in 2017: RE7, Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Horizon, Breath of the Wild, Nier: Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda (even if it's underwhelming, ME games are still at least slightly a big deal), and Persona 5.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

Is Wildlands actually any good though?

Not that I know of. But if it came out like a few months from now it might get a little more attention by virtue of being an open world game with a gimmick (multiplayer, in this case). Right now there's no way it doesn't get buried under Horizon and especially Zelda. Even Nier Automata is (sort of) an open world game and leagues better.

MinibarMatchman posted:

judging from the beta I played it's definitely the least unique or interesting game released in the ones released from January up until the mass effect/persona double whammy at the tail end of March. Quite frankly I don't give a poo poo because it doesn't matter if Ubi games perform or get rated well, they'll just keep making the same copy and paste poo poo. After Zelda and Horizon I don't even think the new AC game will be very engaging since even Zelda does the climbing gimmick far better.

I hope someone at Ubisoft plays Horizon and takes notes because Guerrilla did Ubisoft's formula way better than they ever have and it probably comes down to making the core gameplay loop out of pure joy. Assassin's Creed games, for example, love to give you a bunch of gadgets that you never need to use because all you really have to do is walk up and stab dudes, then climb on stuff to get away. Horizon gives you a bunch of gadgets but you end up actually needing to use most of them (the only reason it isn't "all" is because some of them have similar purposes but do them in different ways so it's up to you which one you like to use more). That's so much more fun!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All my cats will always be indoor cats because:

corn in the bible posted:

Cats have driven many native species to extinction but yeah LOL AMERICANS

I've made my peace with all of my furniture being permanently shredded.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

A classic.

But yeah, my cats do their one big job well which is to kill any bugs that come in. They're pros at it.

The one time a mouse got into our house, my cat chased it around so loudly that it woke me up at 4 a.m. I ended up tricking the cat into chasing the mouse into a cardboard box so I could let it out because I wasn't thrilled about potentially having to clean mouse guts out of the carpet. The cat did get cat treats to hopefully make up for not getting to eat any mouse because I felt bad.

(Also she did end up killing the mouse--when she ran the mouse into the box and I lifted it up so the mouse couldn't escape, the cat was stuck in there too and thrashed around a bit before she got out. Mouse got owned pretty badly. So a successful hunt, nonetheless.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

Hey, I bought it a couple of days ago and it downloaded overnight. I played a bit today before work and I already really like the setting - starting off going through a Fallout vault got me hooked and this mix of tribes/robot dinos/dead advanced civilization seems to be somewhat enough of its own thing to stay interesting even if similar settings were done in games before. The game looks gorgeous, I can already say it'll totally be my poo poo.

It's a really good game and I think one of the best open world games ever made.

It doesn't do anything radical with its structure--you still climb towers, even though they're mobile and you can still chase icons down on your map for collectibles--but it does a really good job of giving you some variety in your side quests instead of copy-pasting busywork tasks like an Ubisoft game would. And its combat is the best I think I've ever played in an open world game. Combat against humans is nothing special, but fighting the machines is never boring. And the fact that you actually need to use the big variety of tools you have to win fights is refreshing, because a lot of open world games tend to give you lots of tools to use but never really challenge in ways that makes you want to use them all.

Oh, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Just wait until you see what the moon looks like shining through trees at night.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm excited to see what they can do with a sequel to Horizon. It's already a pretty amazing game, but now they have an engine to work with and the basic ideas all in place so they can grow it from here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think the only logical place to go is having Aloy learn the power of friendship through a permanent Watcher companion that communicates in cute clicks & whistles and performs super cool combo attacks.

10/10 would preorder

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

We'll be lucky if we see DQ 11 this year :/

I really hope the west gets DQ11. I know the reason DQ10 didn't come out here is because it's an MMO and not because we're not going to get more Dragon Quest games but I'm gonna expect the worst until we have an actual date

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

It's incredible that they managed to gently caress up a bomberman game and then sell it for 50 dollars.

How do you gently caress up a Bomberman game in the first place? Just make new levels for Super Bomberman and you're done.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why would you ever do that :negative:

And here I was all excited for a new cool Bomberman game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Watching those videos feels like comparing the wrong kinds of games.
Zelda is wonderful, but Horizon is not trying to be what Zelda is and likewise.

Agreed.

I don't have the patience to watch all of the videos, but I'm assuming the comparisons show more freedom and more physics in Zelda or something? Because, well, no poo poo. That's the whole point. Zelda has cool physics stuff because that's what they decided to base the majority of the puzzles around and it's a huge part of the game in a way that it isn't in Horizon. Meanwhile, Horizon's combat runs rings around Zelda's in complexity and variety. Zelda's combat is good, probably better than it's ever been (in no small part owing to the variety in enemy behaviors and the huge number of ways you can take enemies out), but Horizon's is so fluid, yet frantic and fast-paced, that it's really hard to compare.

Also, Zelda's pretty, but Horizon is stupid pretty. I've just stopped and stared at nothing but the landscape in Horizon a few times--when I do that in Zelda, it's because I'm looking for somewhere to go, but in Horizon, it's because I just want to soak in how pretty it is.

Macaluso posted:

edit: Hm well the second video is a bit more damning lol. I had no idea you could climb up slopes you can't run up in BOTW :swoon:

Hell yeah, you can climb drat near anything in Breath of the Wild. I think the one exception is that walls in dungeons and shrines can't be climbed so you can't cheese the puzzles that way. Everything else can be climbed. (Well, unless it's raining. Then you'll slip.)

Macaluso posted:

But like... at least leave footprints in the snow Aloy, Secret Ghost Girl

Wait, Aloy doesn't leave footprints? I really thought she did, I was looking out for them. Huh. Not sure why I thought so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

It has outposts and hunting and crafting satchels like a far cry. Character driven subquests and buff potion quaffing like a witcher. Combat feels a lot like caveman vanquish actually.

Its a great game that is way more than the sum of its borrowed parts

That's actually a pretty great comparison, given the reliance on slowing time and staying mobile (and sliding/jumping to slow time).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I mean, I don't really give a poo poo, I think the entire switch is stupid. I just thought that was like, a feature of modern poo poo. And if I was gonna take my switch with me on a commute or something, it would make sense for it to have some of the basic features of a modern tablet because it has the size footprint of one. I was just surprised to learn that it really is just a nintento game machine without the features that every console from the last 2 generations has.

You guys are right that it doesn't really matter. I just didn't expect that.

From the perspective of someone who doesn't have one yet: the Switch makes a whole lot of sense if you think of it as a handheld that you can optionally hook up to your TV, rather than a home console you can optionally make handheld. (It's also not a tablet, and I don't think it's trying to be.) As a handheld, the Switch is extremely impressive, and having a game as stupidly massive and interactive as Breath of the Wild running beautifully on a loving handheld is a huge deal. And it's not often you find a handheld that supports local multiplayer without having multiple systems.

The only downside it has from a handheld perspective is the battery life, which is a significant problem, don't get me wrong. A portable battery pack or a future hardware revision with a better battery life would do wonders for it. For someone like me, it's probably fine--my city doesn't have great public transportation so I don't have a lot of transport time where I'm not actively driving, so most of the time I play a handheld, I have easy access to a power outlet. But the battery life does matter.

But that's it. That's the only problem it has from a handheld perspective. Other than that, it's loving great (as hardware). As a home console, it's an underpowered, overpriced gimmick machine, but it's a powerful, very versatile handheld (and it's tailor-made for VR in the future).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just realized I really want to see a superhero game use the Nemesis system. Like, something that isn't tied to Marvel or DC or anything, but a new superhero universe, and the Nemesis System is what determines who your rogues gallery and archenemy end up being as you defend the city from a bunch of small-time supervillains all clamoring over each other for wealth and power.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At least the Switch has the distinction of launching with a really excellent game for it. Granted, it isn't exclusive, but it's still something truly fun and cool you can do with your Switch right away. Meanwhile the best game that came out for the PS4 on launch was probably AC4: Black Flag? (Actually it was probably Resogun but let's stick to the "big" ones.)

babypolis posted:

have to say im a lil jelly of people playing botw because it looks amazing but once you finish that its gonna collect dust for a while, probably

I gotta admit I wish I'd gotten a Switch for BotW. I have it for Wii U and it's a blast, but having it in portable form would be nuts. I'm probably going to rebuy it when I eventually do get a Switch for that exact reason. If only I could transfer my save then :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I don't understand about the Switch: how the hell did Nintendo not get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe ready for launch? It's a rerelease of a game that's been out for a couple years now, for gently caress's sake. How does that need two months after launch? Did they not even decide they were going to release it for Switch until too late to make the launch window or something?

Because honestly, that would've been the tipping point for me to buy a Switch at launch. One game I want to play isn't enough, but two might've done it. And while new games like Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey are clearly going to take more time because they're, y'know, new games, MK8 is a rerelease. I really would've thought that'd be feasible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Wii U launched with 32 (e: looked up the correct number) games and then had nothing of real note for months and months. They're deliberately waiting to release bigger name games over the next 9 months in the lead up to the holiday season. Mario Kart in April, Splatoon in the summer, Mario Odyssey in the fall.

Maybe that's a good enough reason, then.

I just wish they'd gotten MK8 out on launch because that would've been enough for me to take the plunge and then I wouldn't feel compelled to re-buy and re-play Breath of the Wild when I do get a Switch. (This is obviously an issue that probably only I have :v:)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

to the few people who own both zelda and horizon, what are the main differences? just off the top of my head I'm thinking it's in:
--climbing mechanics
--weapon durability
--enemy variety

...but I'm curious how the locomotion of parachute stuff in Zelda compares to what moving around and traveling is like in Horizon, or if there's an analogue to the discoveries of kokoroks/shrines/shrine boss things in Horizon. Are they much different in world biome structures and platforming? I actually don't even know if Horizon has a jump button.

Climbing mechanics: Zelda lets you climb literally anything that isn't in a shrine or a dungeon. Horizon has Tomb Raider-style climbing, where you can only grab onto ledges or hand-holds when they're specifically made to be that. (This can be a little jarring in Horizon sometimes, when Aloy can't grab on to a ledge to jump up to a place that she can clearly reach, and it's a place that you can walk to just by walking around and finding a ramp up. It gets mildly annoying sometimes, but it's not a huge deal.)

Weapon durability: Horizon has none--your weapons will never break. In Zelda, weapons are really fragile compared to what you're probably used to from durability mechanics. The majority of weapons you find, especially in the early game, will last you two to three fights max before they explode (literally). That said, most enemies you fight also use weapons and any weapon an enemy can use, so can you. And eventually you start to find more durable weapons and at least one truly unbreakable weapon. You also can never repair weapons, though some specific weapons can be "remade" if they break.

Enemy variety: Hoo boy, that's kind of a tough one. Zelda has way better variety in fights with enemies on Link's scale--I won't say human or even necessarily humanoid, but fighting bokoblins, moblins, and lizalfos in Zelda has a lot of variety because they can use lots of weapon types and different tactics on you. In Horizon, human enemies are pretty one-note and not that fun to fight. On the other hand, Horizon does have like 20 awesome robots to fight and, for the most part, they're all unique experiences to fight, especially the bigger ones. I'd say Horizon's the clear winner here, but I'd also say that Horizon's combat in general is the best I've ever seen in an open world game.

Travel: Zelda lets you be a lot more mobile and go drat near literally anywhere. Plus, you have a glider. Horizon's mobility options are comparatively a lot more limited.

Hidden stuff and collectibles: This is where Zelda blows Horizon out of the water (where Horizon blows Zelda out of the water in the combat department). Horizon does have a rough equivalent to Zelda's shrines, but they're bigger and there are only four or five of them total. Plus, Horizon marks stuff on your map for you, even when you haven't climbed a tower to reveal that region sometimes, so you don't often stumble on total mysteries out in the wild. Zelda's totally different. Climbing a tower in Zelda does reveal map geography, but it doesn't place any map markers for you--instead, you get a great vantage point from the tower and you can actually mark things you can see from there while looking through your scope. It's a much more active process and makes you feel a lot more like you're actually exploring. And the koroks are nearly ubiquitous, while Horizon's little collectibles are in smaller number (and also you can buy cheap maps to mark their general areas on your map for you).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

All true but the best collectibles in Horizon (the data stuff and logs) have to actually be found, I don't think you can ever buy a map that shows where those are, and a lot of them are really hidden away or hidden in plain sight (like I was exploring a ruin last night and there was a text log datapad sitting inside a rusted car)

That's true, I forgot about the datapoints and text/audio logs in Horizon. Those are pretty well-hidden and found all over the place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Games "journalism" seems perpetually stuck in the 90s. Little more than a PR mouthpiece and the occasional sidebar about how wacky Japan is. It's fun to read opinions and reviews on upcoming stuff but even reviews have barely gone anywhere.

I think people kind of need to get over the idea of "games journalism" being actual journalism, because it isn't and it was never supposed to be. Sites like IGN or GameSpot are the video games equivalent of, like, the E! television network--it's entertainment news, not hard-hitting "journalism," and trying to hold it to some kind of critical standard is missing the point entirely.

What we're lacking isn't "games journalism," but rather good games critics. There are great movie critics out there, great literature critics, and even some good television critics these days, and that's not really paying attention to the academic side of criticism (which, having been there, is significantly up its own rear end, at least in the US). When it comes to video games, there are a few critics out there who are doing good work in games criticism, but they're few, far between, and generally overshadowed by the reviews published by the entertainment sites or people like Yahtzee who make accentuate-the-negative videos for entertainment purposes. Some sites like Polygon I think got too caught up in the word "journalism" and are trying to delve into that with little expertise--it's no accident that they're owned by Vox, because they're the equivalent of Vox but for video games--and simultaneously tend to be pretty clumsy at anything that approaches real criticism. (I'm using the word "criticism" in the academic sense--not necessarily criticizing, but rather engaging with something critically on a level beyond its individual game systems and technical aspects.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 8, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah but there's no money in this though. Gamers say they want video games to be considered art but the minute you start subjecting them to the sort of critical analysis that gets applied to art it immediately turns around and becomes "god why are trying to shove your agenda into this, just play the game and have fun, jeez."

Yep, exactly. That's the part I left out: most attempts at actual video game criticism are met with indifference at best and hostility at worst. While art criticism doesn't always have to be about social issues or racial/sexual/cultural dynamics and portrayals, it's inevitably going to get there eventually. Even criticism as simple as "let's examine why so many video games are about shooting and what that says about our interactive entertainment habits and the industry's incentives" sometimes ends up being read as a "screed" against video game violence.

There's sort of an expectation in internet culture in general, but especially in video games, that critically engaging with something in anything less than a "this is perfect, let's look at why it's so perfect" way means you don't like that thing or want it to go away.

MinibarMatchman posted:

there are very few critics I bother putting too much stock into but there are a few "journalists" who actually bother to make good informative pieces. Danny O'Dwyer's Noclip and even The Point was pretty good. Someone on Polygon, no idea who--it sure as poo poo wasn't Arthur Gies or Ben Kuchera--wrote an excellent, sprawling thing about Japanese game devs a few years ago.

DigitalFoundry is probably one of the only places that objectively covers poo poo. Eurogamer in general is pretty decent.

Well, by criticism, I don't necessarily mean objective reviews. I don't really think that you can get very far talking about entertainment or art without it eventually becoming subjective. So I'm not really looking for stone-faced objectivity in my video game reviews. I just love reviews that go deeper than the surface level or reviewers who recognize that criticism and reviewing are something of an art form in and of themselves. It's an easy reference, but, for example, we don't have a Roger Ebert of video games, y'know?

On the journalism side of things, I agree, Danny O'Dwyer does very good investigative and documentary work, and Eurogamer is really good as far as the video game "entertainment news" sites are concerned. I also mention Polygon's similarity to its parent company's flagship site, Vox, in that it's hit-or-miss without about the same frequency. Vox often posts really superficial "explainers" or annoying devil's-advocate articles or just outright bad pieces, but every once in a while just nails it with something really in-depth and fascinating. Polygon is the same way. I'm generally not into their reviews and I think some of their articles are annoyingly superficial or misguided, but whenever they do one of their big "cover stories" they're pretty great. That sprawling article about Japanese game development was excellent--are you thinking of the one that was about outsourcing to smaller development houses and how all of it fits together? Because that was good as hell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

Eurogamer is my main game news site despite not being in euro. Their reviews were always less fawning and they're responsible for one of my all-time favorite pieces of game writing.

Eurogamer is my go-to for written reviews as well. I appreciate the lack of a review score and they have a consistent and understandable reviewing perspective that helps me understand how their recommendations match up with what I'd probably like.

I think there are some good YouTubers making decent games content now, too. Danny O'Dwyer, of course, but he isn't really in the reviews/criticism business (which is fine, he's doing something very few others are doing and it's great). I generally like Super Bunnyhop (George Weidman), even when I don't agree with his takes on a lot of things, and he also does some decent "journalism" every now and again. MrBtongue does good critical videos when he actually makes videos. Mark Brown can be a little hit-or-miss with his game mechanic dissections but I think his are the best out of anyone doing that kind of video--most others are a lot more superficial, not to mention not as well-presented or edited.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 8, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Critics don't need to only write about what a game says or means, not because those things aren't important (they are) but because those don't constitute all of, or even most of, the play experience. Being able to clearly discuss the experience of gameplay, and distinguish it from other experiences -- that is, to describe in words something that is primarily felt and hard to describe in words -- is probably the main skill a game critic needs. This actually came up in a Waypoint podcast some time ago. Titanfall 2, COD Infinite Warfare, and Doom are all shootman games, but a good critic will be able to communicate the differences in playing each of them, differences that have nothing to do with story or signification. Since most game reviewers are already terrible writers, that kind of challenge is probably insurmountable

Yeah, not all criticism needs to be about "reading" the game necessarily--a lot of fascinating criticism can come from exploring how game systems and features can influence how a game feels to play or what the overall experience of playing it is. It's sort of analogous to film criticism exploring the technical aspects of film, from camera to sound to editing, and how they're used to achieve certain effects.

Luckily, there's more game criticism about exploring mechanics and their use/effects than any other kind of good game criticism, but it's still fairly rare and even rarer to see it done well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

It's worth pointing out that there's actually quite a bit of academic criticism around video games but nobody reads that stuff outside of the person who wrote it and maybe one or two of the people who showed up on that block of the conference and saw the presentation.

That's true of any academic criticism, really. It's a slow process for ideas to filter through academia into other academic writing into more popular writing and eventually into public discourse (where everyone misuses terms and dilutes them so they're meaningless). It's the circle of life.

Video game academia is definitely in its infancy, though, so it's even smaller than usual.

PantsBandit posted:

It may just be selection bias but I also think a lot of criticism on video games tends to skew in a negative direction. Too much "here's why this game is racist/sexist" and not enough "here's how this game portrays people or issues well and what the industry can learn from it. "

That's partially selection bias, but partially just that it's what a lot of writers trying their hand at criticism with a hot-button issue that seems simpler on its surface than it actually is. And when it actually is done well, I think both writers and readers have a tough time separating "this piece of media does these things that have problems" and "this piece of media is bad and shouldn't exist."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you ever get the green tunic in Breath of the Wild because if not I might actually die

I dyed some of my clothes green but it's just not the same

Yes. If you do all 120 shrines. Seriously.

That said, it's also pretty goddamn rad, going by the pictures in the guide: it's an updated, "rugged" version of the clothes worn by the original Link in the original Legend of Zelda manual, right down to having shorts so his legs are bare.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

That's cool, I'm gonna do it

Yeah, me too. And BotW's version of the set is so rad that I'm extra motivated to get it, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Not gonna lie, the framerate drops in botw bug me a lot. I wanna play the hd remaster on the Switch U

I agree.

Honestly, the Switch, on paper, should be able to run BotW better than it does. I suspect its issues, even down to being only 900p instead of 1080p, are just down to it being a somewhat rushed port from Wii U to Switch. (Hell, even the way you switch weapons makes more sense if you think of how it might have worked if you had a touch screen in front of you all the time.) If I'm right about that, then they could theoretically even fix that with a future patch, not even a future hardware revision or a new console. I don't know if they would, but they probably could.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah for all that I hate weapon durability my only real complaints are climbing in the rain and the insane frame drops anywhere that isn't a big open field.

They really should've made the Climber's Gear have special gloves/boots that let you cling to surfaces in the rain. Make it cost extra stamina, I don't care, just let me actually try.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

The myster is why? Cats lack sweet taste receptors.

My dad's cat used to love vanilla pudding, though I suspect that was down to the milk inclusion more than anything. Mom and I finally convinced him to stop giving the cat pudding, though :v:

Monkey Fracas posted:

Can't wait to play BotW when I actually get a Switch this summer for Spla2n. Probably would have bought it for the Wii U but Nier came out at like the same time.

I'm probably going to intentionally leave it incomplete on the Wii U because I know I'm going to re-buy it on the Switch when I get one this summer like a spineless consumer slime. I'd like to know there's more for me to discover when I replay it, y'know?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I think Yooka and Laylee look fine, Yooka mostly. The rest on the other hand

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordja posted:

I think it's more likely that it will be a very faithful throwback to N64 era 3D platformers, and a lot of people are going to find that they're not a fan of that type of game anymore.

Yep, this is my expectation. I think "3D platformer collect-a-thon" is just the pinnacle of a kind of game that owns when you're a kid and probably not when you're an adult. Going back and replaying old ones can still be fun sometimes because you can bask in the rosy glow of nostalgia, but a new one's going to have a tough hill to climb to win over an audience.

It's the exact kind of thing that can lead to a successful crowdfunding campaign but not necessarily a successful game.

Ciaphas posted:

I still haven't played past world 1 of 3D world, I should get back to that

3D World is good as hell. I know I've seen some complaints that it doesn't do as much as previous Mario games with revisiting and iterating on mechanics across levels, but I think the freshness of each new stage more than makes up for it. And at the same time, I think people miss how often you come across expanded or more complex version of level mechanics you've encountered before in later areas, especially once the designers know you've definitely done the level where the mechanic first showed up by now, so they can twist it and play with it some more.

Also the music is super cheery and catchy and warm

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scrublord Prime posted:

Mario 64 was probably the biggest :aaa: moment for me: Giant 3d levels that you could freely explore with a camera that you could move and look around with blew lil' me's mind. gently caress around on a stage exploring every little nook and cranny and eventually you'd even find a star! I can't think of any other game that fascinated me that way just by being in 3d.

Yeah, Super Mario 64 was huge for me, as was Ocarina of Time. After that I don't know if I ever had any graphics :aaaaa: moments after that until maybe The Witcher 2, where I found the environments to be really, really impressive. And then again in The Witcher 3, then Uncharted 4, and I've had some times in Horizon where I just stop and go, "God drat."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Playing BotW for the past couple days. It's really good but man are there some things that are kind of a drag. Stamina being used for so much and being such a limiter to exploring is the big one. The massive frame drops during battles and if I just turn the camera down in some areas is the other.

I feel a bit better about sprinting stamina because Link moves at a pretty good pace by default, but I wish it wasn't used for normal swimming. It's not like you can't go out as far in the water as you want using the Cryonis rune, so it's not even that much of a limiter. It's just an annoyance.

My biggest issues with the game are all around combat balance, because the game goes from being crazy punishing to being extremely easy as soon as you get good armor and realize you can endlessly scarf down food in-combat. Weapon damage and armor defense have way too wide a range, which means that the balance between how much damage you take versus how many hearts you have is extremely spiky. It also makes the player far more gear-dependent in combat than I'd like--armor is so important if you don't want to spend all your time eating and waiting for fairies to revive you because some enemy's 40-damage weapon ate 10 of your hearts. In its current form, I think the game needs its easy access to fairy revival, temporary hearts, and instant healing, but I'd prefer a game with a little tighter damage/health balance and more limited healing instead.

Luckily the game is so ridiculously fun to explore, with great puzzles and so many cool little adventures that aren't even side quests to find, that the screwed up combat balance doesn't really hurt my enjoyment that much. But it could've been done a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

oh yeah for sure. am i going to have to use magnesis to get this ball in the hole, or stasis on this moving object

[wokely] or both

Sure, some of the shrines are obvious and straightforward, but other ones get pretty clever and fun.

bloodychill posted:

I haven't played long enough to get that feeling with the combat yet. It's really fun to explore but yeah, after I play for a few hours it's really easy to look at something and go "this could have been a lot better if they tweaked [this element of the game] a little." I'm definitely understanding oddium and hurthling's complaints about the game.

At the same time, it's really fun and the puzzles are neat. Nothing that has hit the same level as the puzzle games people recommended to me here back in December but I'm not expecting anything on that level from an open world game.

I think it's a game that is significantly better than the sum of its parts, perhaps entirely because its world design means getting around and exploring are both fun and rewarding. In a lot of open world games, I feel like traveling around to places I can't fast travel to yet is me waiting to play the game, but in Zelda, I think they do a good job of making that travel an important and enjoyable part of the game. It's good stuff.

It has some big flaws, like the combat balance and a lot of technical aspects, plus I think its main dungeons are disappointing. But I'd still call it one of the best open world games ever made and probably my favorite Zelda game just because I've never played a game that made me this excited to just go and explore for the hell of it, knowing I'm going to find something fun on the way (and I'm not going to just chase an icon on my map to find it, either).

• Locked thread