Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I don't really care that much about video game journalism or awards or even No Man's Sky but I would really like to know the rationale behind giving it an Innovation Award. Innovative in what way exactly? Peter Molyneux was doing that poo poo decades ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What's the name of the movie director that raped an underaged girl and then fled to France to avoid extradition? Because a bunch of people ooh and ahh over his movies and how well directed they are and every time someone brings up the whole "separate the art from the artist" thing I always think about what it must be like to constantly have to think to yourself "yeah the guy may be a child rapist but drat if he couldn't direct a fine movie" without going insane.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Keep in mind people have worked with him on purpose after that incident to make new movies.

Oh well that's maybe the least surprising thing in the world.

I do remember that DC comics made a big to-do once about having Orson Scott Card come and write an issue of Superman for them. They eventually quietly shelved that idea for some strange reason. Maybe they didn't care for the subplot that had Superman defending the sanctity of heterosexual marriage while using his laser vision to incinerate a Pride parade.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought they went back to genetic experiments at one point.

Gears' (back)story is really dumb and obviously made up on the fly.

GUI posted:

They were banking on the MP being a Big Deal (hence the multiple alphas and beta) and the SP bombing actually.

Gears and Halo both seem to be part of this weird zeitgeist in videogames where all at once people were being tasked to create these elaborate, intricate backstories for their shootman games...all of which was told through comics and novels and ARG websites and absolutely nowhere in the actual games themselves. I don't know when or why this became the thing to do but it always struck me as dumb as hell. Like I don't mind if a game decides to eschew ~deep lore~ in favor of focusing on gameplay, especially in a shooter, but you can always tell that games like this really want you to care about things like who the Locust are and what the deal with that creepy facility is but nah, gotta buy the official tie-in whatever to learn about that poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

the gears of war developers gave so much creative control over the series to the book writer that she pretty much decided which characters lived or died

Was it Karin Traviss? It seemed like everybody was hiring her to write their tie-in fiction for a while. You've got to be aware that you hosed up somewhere along the line when even George Lucas thinks you suck too much to be allowed to write Star Wars novels.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not really attaching to Horizon Zero Dawn either, and the common thread between the two games seems to be open world and exploration, so all I can conclude for sure is maybe I don't like those sorts of games anymore??

It's baffling that I don't know exactly why I dislike games :psypop:

One day I woke up and discovered I couldn't play JRPGs anymore. I used to eat those things up, I played so much Chrono Trigger I had every character at level 99, then all at once I just...didn't want to play them anymore. I think it was Rogue Galaxy where I was like "actually I'm not having any fun with this, and I don't think it's just this particular game."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

are you sure about that

seriously i pretty much never see anyone say rogue galaxy doesn't at least have some really awful chunks

Oh it does, I remember tons of bland hallways and random encounters and poo poo and for every cool concept that made me want to play some more it was met with at least two other things I found kind of insufferable, but I also bounced off of Dragon Quest VIII and that game isn't really bad. I never beat FFX but I remember liking it, but after that I just kinda gradually cooled on modern JRPGs even though I know there are supposed to be some good ones out there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Karin Traviss is basically a run of the mill mil-scifi writer which means she likes writing books about how badass soldiers are and how everybody who isn't a martial honor manly man making hard decisions is, as Guy Goodbody puts it, a huge pussy and/or actively a hindrance to the right and proper manly military men who make all the right decisions something something code of honor brothers etc. In that respect she's a perfect fit for both Gears and Halo, but the stuff she wrote for Star Wars was bad even by the standards of Star Wars fiction which might seem like a bar so low you couldn't limbo under it and yet. It was the equivalent of taking a masturbatory internet discussion about how the Empire are actually the good guys and the Rebels are terrorists and turning it into official fiction.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

Fun fact about the Halo novels, it turns out that the Covenant interrupted a human civil war. A bunch of frontier planets were rebelling against the United Nations, and the war was basically insurrectionists doing suicide bombings and then the UNSC showing up and massacring insurrectionists. That's why Master Chief was created, to fight that war.

Master Chief and all the other first-wave Spartans were also made by kidnapping children with genetic makeups compatible with all the untested soldier enhancements that they were slated to undergo. In order to cover this up all of the kids were quick-cloned to create duplicates that would replace them, only this process was incredibly unstable and made the clones all die of various cancers within a few years. So then all the kidnapped children essentially got indoctrinated and experimented upon, with a bunch of them dying in the process, and the rest being turned into Spartans.

So basically Halo is Warhammer 40K and the Spartans are literally 40K Space Marines and you'd never loving know any of this just by playing the first Halo because it tells you literally none of this, I'm not sure they even touch on any of this stuff until maybe you start getting into Reach and the games after that where Halsey makes the jump from novel-only to a character in the games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I wish they'd release a "Doom 2016: Singleplayer Only" version so I could shave 40-some GB off the install size.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

I vaguely remember the game being good, and also the first book (the one she wrote before she skipped off the deep end).

If you're talking about Republic Commando I'm going to guess the books were bad like most Star Wars books but the game was actually good, so you're at least batting .500 there.

exquisite tea posted:

The Matrix and the LOTR trilogy were both hugely influential at the turn of the millennium in creating this expanded mythology where it wasn't just about the movies, but callbacks to books, video games, spin-off properties, etc. that you were just expected to have already absorbed.

I, uh, kind of feel like the Lord of the Rings movies didn't really create the expanded mythology as such, that was sort of already there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Enter the Matrix, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is one of the most hilariously janky games I've ever played. Shooting at Agents caused their models to flop left and right like something out of Garry's Mod to simulate their ability to dodge bullets, and it controlled like poo poo to boot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Youtube throwing recommendations at me has reminded me that I'd really like to play Darkest Dungeon but I've had to refund it twice over because I simply cannot get it to run without crashing on a modern computer at all. I have no idea why a simple 2D game should be so hard to run when I have no trouble running vastly more complex and demanding games but there it is.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cardboard Box A posted:

Did you enjoy Mercenaries 2: World in Frames?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ABObSRCHY

Can't airdrop a boat onto people, 2/10

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

So I picked up gungeon during that sale and finally got around to playing it, and it turns out it's a really bad game! Who knew?

I bought Gungeon when it was on sale and because Scruffy is doing an ongoing LP of it that made it look cool. And at first I thought it was fuckin terrible. Then somewhere along the line something happened and it started clicking with me and I played a shitload of it and finally beat the boss. Then I haven't felt like playing it lately, but I might do so later?

This isn't some "just stick with it, you'll come to love it" thing because I dunno why I suddenly did an about-face on it, it definitely has a lot of rough edges in my opinion, but something about it wound up grabbing me enough to get me through at least one successful playthrough and I don't think it was sunk-cost since it didn't cost me all that much. What I'm saying is that even though I eventually came around on it I can definitely see where the people who say it sucks are coming from and I don't think they're dumb to have that opinion.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I didn't mean the comment as some kind of jingoist snipe against films (I study both of their histories for a living), and I certainly understand the historical contexts behind both those media quite well. I am simply talking from a pure experiential standpoint. Once you enter into a world of moving images where before there were none, the development of color and sound, while definitely a herculean technological endeavor, is somewhat just an extension of the experience. With games, it is simply just personally more mind-blowing to me to have gone from being impressed by moving a group of pixels on a screen to the things we have now.

Edit: And by that I mean this of course. Wildlands sounding great
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/839000791822168064

Games, art, etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

What we're lacking isn't "games journalism," but rather good games critics.

Yeah but there's no money in this though. Gamers say they want video games to be considered art but the minute you start subjecting them to the sort of critical analysis that gets applied to art it immediately turns around and becomes "god why are trying to shove your agenda into this, just play the game and have fun, jeez."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Have you considered that the people saying these two things are not, in fact, the same people?

They are though, is the punchline. A lot of the vocal proponents of the "games are art!" thing don't really mean they want people to treat games like art, what they really mean is "I want you to affirm for me that this thing I've built a huge chunk of my identity around is cool and good and mature."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mario RPG is one of the all time great JRPGs along with Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, discuss.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like I know it's nostalgia talking but I miss the Squaresoft of my misspent childhood.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

No they don't.

Yeah, I'm gonna be charitable and say they sometimes make cool games but uh FF13 wasn't great shakes, they had to remake their MMO because it was kinda bad, and as a publisher they seem to make a lot of shall we say questionable decisions like what happened with Mankind Divided. Maybe Hitman depending on how strongly you feel about always-online. Nier Automata might be the best thing with the Square name on it to come out recently but it's also worth pointing out that Square didn't make that one, they just published it, Yoko Taro and Platinum were the ones responsible for making it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

raditts posted:

Capcom and Konami are the two developers whose 90s golden age I miss the most. They used to make such good games, and so many of them...

Hell, same. Really the only thing I feel serious nostalgia for VG-wise is the SNES heyday. Mmmmmaybe we can stretch that out to include the PS1 era as well.

World of Final Fantasy is a kick in the nuts because it's a cruel reminder that we're never going to get an Einhander sequel, or even a remaster.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Capcom I'm kind of disappointed that this never got a remaster/port of any kind. I really dig that era of chunky, detailed spritework.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Moon Monster posted:

This is seriously underselling. It was easily the worst major MMO release I've ever played and I've played a lot of poo poo MMOs. It was well under the bar set by Age of Conan and Hellgate: London.

I never played it so I was going off what I heard while trying to avoid potentially stepping on internet hyperbole but I also recall hearing that the failure of their MMO wound up causing them some financial difficulties as well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

This is a huge one. They're still not letting characters start with the full punch/kick combos, but now they all have a limited number of special moves they start with that are all meant to highlight their character specialties. The wrestler has a piledriver, the luchador has an aerial move, etc. The milk run quest is the dumbest poo poo in the game and now it's 1/3rd as obnoxious, characters no longer have grapple positions that are useless to them.... There's still some bugs, including the pretty major online save bug they've been working on fixing since launch, but we're reaaaally close to where I can say "They fixed the game".

Is the movelist that's supposed to explain how your character's moves work any more explanatory than it was the last time I checked? It seemed a bit opaque before.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Use of an eraser on exams is permitted but will lock you out of the highest rank.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If reviewers based score on how much of the actual game they'd played before hitting send on their review the average score wouldn't even be a whole number.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Today's cel shading and similar techs could totally make that work in 3D.

Get Arc System Works to make it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also did you guys know they made a 3D Metal Slug? It's not very good.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I'd rather play a game set in a vanilla Tolkien setting than a game set in a Tolkien setting but elves have antenna and green skin and dwarves are called Bompkos there's like 2 or 3 original races.

Obviously something genuinely original is best.

I love how much you could post this exact same thing in Traditional Games and it would make just as much sense.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^Also I wholeheartedly agree with this and have fond memories of playing Parasite Eve.

Jay Rust posted:

Just set everything in the real world. Real history is cool.

This is actually something that depresses me about the Assassin's Creed series in that it's one of the only major video game franchises to even pay lip service to some cool periods in history that would make great settings for games, but they spoil it by using them to make Assassin's Creed games instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

I mean, if you really wanted to be an rear end in a top hat rules lawyer about it, technically FFT is the War of the Roses except Jesus was real and also super evil

FF Tactics is a Good Game, so I'll allow it.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Can you expand on this? I'm not even trying to be a dick, I'm curious how "A group of individuals hoping to make a new start in a new galaxy but conditions have changed dramatically since they set off and are now trying to salvage a lovely situation" is farcical. I guess there's the aspect of colonization almost always being bad for native peoples, but by the time of the games, just about all of the council species were all following non-interference plans regarding non-spacefaring sentient species.

I don't really want to get into a huge argument/discussion over Mass Effect because look at how the actual Mass Effect thread has turned out, but admittedly the premise for Andromeda is kind of goofy. It all starts off before the whole Reaper thing really goes public so basically there's no real pressure for anyone to launch a one-way 600 year trip into an entirely new galaxy when there's still a ton of unexplored, unsettled space in the Milky Way galaxy...seriously, an entire galaxy is very, very big...so basically the whole thing is "we're going to seal ourselves in a spaceship, acknowledge the fact that everyone we know who isn't coming along on this trip will be many hundreds of years dead by the time we wake up, hope that in 600 years nothing goes wrong on the other end (or that all these golden worlds we've staked out wind up already colonized by native civilizations), and we're doing this, uhhhhhhh, because we can?"

Like there's plenty of potential for an interesting story to come out of a mission comprised of people willing to cut ties with their homeworlds, civilizations, and loved ones on a journey of no return, but (and I admit I haven't really been keeping super close tabs on things) nothing I've seen in any of the preview stuff really makes it seem like they've put that much thought into it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yeah, I totally agree with not wanting to start a giant burning shitpile; I'll just say that there's examples throughout history of people doing things just to see if they can. So a large quantity of people loving off to colonize a new galaxy just for the sake of it isn't entirely outlandish.

People do outlandish poo poo all the time, that's not really the hard part, but at no point in human history have any of these people done anything on the scale of "let's literally skip the next 600 years of existence in cryostasis, not for any pressing reason like survival or fleeing a catastrophe, but because eh, why not." Like I said, you could mine an interesting story out of exploring the mindsets and motivations of who in the world is willing to sever ties with literally everything, no going back, to fling themselves out into the great unknown, or god forbid a story that actually meaningfully digs into things like colonialism, but it all kind of looks like that's getting glossed over in favor of Bad Guy Aliens and The Mysterious Precursor Ruins. And yeah, it is kind of blackly comedic that they're trying to play things up as this big, dramatic fight for survival when the protagonists could have avoided the whole thing simply by not shooting themselves into a new galaxy for kicks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are a nonzero number of people who would line up to volunteer for a colonization mission to Mars, and probably even for a one-way mission

The thing about all the hypothetical Mars missions is that for all the vast distance involved you still aren't literally giving up any hope of ever returning home, talking with people on earth, or waking up in a world where your civilization has changed beyond recognition even if you could find some way to go home.

bloodychill posted:

They're doing it at the very least for exploration's sake, which in my mind might actually give the story some breathing room for being about different themes than the original trilogy. Asking the question "who would give to their entire current life to go someplace new without any way back" is a question they can deal with. I'm not saying they'll do it well but I think there's potential there.

And of course, poo poo is going to hit the fan because it's a story and a game and some conflict is important for most types of narratives. If "and it all turned out fine" was the end of a generation or cryo-ship journey spurring on a story, it wouldn't really make for much fun in a game.

Sure, they could deal with it, but so far none of the previews really seem to touch on that. And yeah, poo poo needs to hit the fan, but it's still pretty funny that it takes the form of "oh, so literally every planet we earmarked for colonization turns out to be all hosed up actually, whoops."

I mean the actual reason any of this is happening is that Bioware wants to try and make a clean break from the fallout of ME3. Fair enough, that's probably the smart play. I think they maybe could have figured out a slightly less goofy premise for it is all.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 12, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

There are about a dozen different ways Bioware could have moved on from the ending of Mass Effect 3 and they somehow managed to combine the least plausible (new galaxy!) with the lowest effort (but hey don't worry all your memes + fuckbuddy aliens are still here!) It just feels like Andromeda has nothing interesting to say or contribute to the series. They're about to get outdone in their sci-fi writing from Yoko Taro and the developers that spent the last 10 years making Killzone games.

To me the most amazing thing that's happened so far this year is that the Killzone guys actually made a good game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nasgate posted:

Like imagine some of the trailers only instead of Mass Effect it's "Dead Space: Andromeda"

I know I'd be on the hype train.

Yeah this is part of it too for me. I get that it's Bioware and they have a formula but the first trilogy, for better or worse, did grandiose sci-fi battles against the evil aliens while the mysterious precursor artifacts did, uh, something, and the new protagonist(s) of the game aren't even ultra-hardened military badasses like Shepard was at the beginning of ME1 so there's plenty of opportunity for them to tell a different sort of sci-fi story sharing a number of setting elements but making it more of a horror game or a survival game, or both. ME:A looks like it'll be a somewhat polished iteration of ME3 which would be a lot more amazing if it wasn't coming out in a world where, for example, Horizon existed. Or the newer Tomb Raider games. People like to bring up comparisons to Witcher 3 all the time in the Mass Effect thread but that's more to do with graphics and animations, in terms of gameplay there've been a number of decent-to-good open world exploration/crafting/combat games to the point where ME:A being, optimistically, a better ME3 is pretty disappointing.

Admittedly in the demo they showcased at PAX I thought it was kind of clever how one of the missions was on a spaceship where the gravity orientation kept shifting so the walls would become the floor and it would change the verticality of the map around. It would have been more impressive if they could have actually shifted the gravity around in real-time instead of having to use little cutscenes to load new versions of the level, though.

Also goddamnit, I miss Dead Space. Talking about sequels and missed opportunities.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Oh great, another "Rush Limbaugh is just trolling" theory.

I tend to live my life by a simple rule of assuming that people with extremely lovely opinions are in all likelihood extremely lovely people themselves and it's served me pretty well so far.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the one hand, we have a games-related Youtube personality openly espousing racist bullshit. On the other hand we have a games-related Youtube personality who gave a game a 7/10. One of these people has gotten folks so worked up that they're attempting to hijack their social media accounts and DDoS their website.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

He totally did it on purpose to cause this very reaction.

Yeah, I'm sure having hordes of insane weirdos trying to hijack your Twitter and bombarding you with messages to kill yourself is totally the secret master plan of everybody that happens to and not a completely idiotic idea that only morons believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I can't tell what's better, the update where the petition creator points out that Spy Kids 3D was rated higher than BvS as further proof of this conspiracy or the fact that he couldn't even get a full 1500 angry people who care way too much about this to sign off on it.

• Locked thread