Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ready to play Bass Effect, fishing in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Little Big Planet 3: The Lost Levels

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Literally the only way to tell if you like a game is to play it yourself. Trust no one.

Only Trust Your Fists, Reviewers Will Never Help You

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It used to be easy to know if I wanted a new console, because I just asked if it had a Castlevania and then it was done.

It doesn't work anymore.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

eat cartridges to get the power, Nintendo Power

gonna find all the powerups and secrets

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Aged Earthbound, for the scratch and sniff cards will make it smell like farts.

Hence the high prices for a physical copy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I actually really want to make molds out of different game cartridges and cast them in chocolate now, and it surprises me that I can't find evidence of this already existing.

at least you can buy game cartridge soap

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think I've read or cared about a review since I've had good enough internet to just watch videos.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Personally I know it has pretty much just Zelda now (and I already have a Wii U) but I have the money now and feel confident that it's not going to run into a 3DS situation where the price drops in less than a year and I want to be ready for Mario.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Buncha rich kids ITT

I'm splurging a bit more because I just paid off my student loans last month. :toot:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

If you were to get a Switch in the summer and then new Zelda DLC you want to play comes out, you're going back to the Wii U for it. So if you already know you want a Switch by summer or even late 2017, it's not a terrible idea to have preordered one. Not a great one, either, but not a terrible one.

Honestly I hadn't even thought about that, though I'm hardly averse to playing old consoles randomly.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If Nintendo decided to re-release their Wii U games or have digital backwards compatibility for the Switch I would be jumping on it much faster. But does the gamepad preclude this from being a reality?

Not necessarily. The main game on the Wii U that took advantage of the GamePad was Mario Maker, and considering that one mobile game port that only works in tablet mode on Switch they could easily make it so it has to be undocked to make levels, or eschew the touch controls completely since they're clearly not above releasing gimped versions of Mario Maker.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think it made more sense when games could just be objectively broken with no recourse to have them split out by controls or whatever, but just having random numbers attached to anything based on how someone feels when they get the game for free and have insane time limits to review when they might not even like a genre is dumb and pointless.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Video game reviews can't be objective unless something is actually broken so pretending a review has any objectivity in it is pointless.

I was specifically talking about when games were actually broken since patches weren't a thing unless a dev wanted to print more carts/discs.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oic

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

What game is that?

Voez, iirc. Just a mobile port, basically.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Please play Pikmin 3.

I've owned it forever because of Club Nintendo freebies but still haven't bothered to play, sorry.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Buy the FFVII port and get the best theme.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Switch acquired, now for work to end so I can pick up my games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mordja posted:

Come down with something all of a sudden. I hear there's a nasty bug going around.

It's a bit too obvious since I have things shipped to my work and needed to be there to pick it up. :v:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

They didn't have it because the difference between JP and US release is small so they didn't bother. I'll just wait for Tuesday. I bought Madden 98 for the Saturn instead

Just get Pseudo Saturn working so you don't have to bother with looking for Saturn games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ah, good luck and good gaming, then. The disc swap poo poo made me super nervous but luckily you only have to do it successfully once.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

(I also generally think using food as an in-combat healing item is kinda silly but whatever I put up with it in Earthbound :v:)

Not as silly as RE7's "use your medical goo healing item to reattach your foot".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Why do you guys always do this when people say something is too anime. Literally everyone else in the world knows exactly what is meant by that, but this thread has to split hairs over it.

Except I literally never know what people mean by it, I've seen it used as shorthand for tropey, perverted, or in incredibly rare cases as an actual art style.

It also leads to incredibly asinine statements about how a game where the artwork was done by Akira Toriyama is somehow not anime, so it's the stupidest thing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So in Zelda (minor gameplay thing) I was out loving around at night, and saw a falling star... and then I followed where it fell and after a while of walking found it on the ground and picked it up.

goty

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

We wouldn't need knock-off Valkyrie Profile if we could just get an actual Valkyrie Profile again.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

star ocean 5 is apparently just a bland old nothing of a game that doesn't even really have enough substance to hate it

Yeah it could have been actually decent if it had a budget but there's at least one scene where they describe "oh god, this space battle, it's so amazing you guys, look at this space battle that I'm talking about" because they couldn't actually afford to show a space battle.

Also the bizarre lack of directed cutscenes, I don't think I saw one until a few hours in, and immediately realized it was a bad idea for them to do so because it zoomed in on the heroine's blob of a face.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're fun.

Well, they can be anyway.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Don't mess with the kohan

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Infinite Space is so loving good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just hit random until I get to something vaguely okay and then play.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

my great grandson, Nissin Cupnoodle

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In lieu of pretending to get sick to play Switch games, I went and actually got sick. Well, poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh, so that's why I've heard people complain about this island in Zelda.

Glad to find out it stopped autosaving oh... after I died and lost an hour or two of progress, that was cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

What, the artstyle is the only thing the game has, it's the bad generic 3D assets used ingame that's the problem.

Also the music is surprisingly good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Re: Visual Novel chat, if you want something like that but are allergic to anime, you can always try The 39 Steps on Steam, which is just a really nice adaptation of an old thriller novel and is quite good (I don't think there's any choices or anything like that).

gently caress that

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 9, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Spongebob got weird.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

You could tell that it was an adaptation of a century-old novel because the villains are The Jews.

Well I didn't remember that detail, so gently caress me and that suggestion.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was doing some puzzle in zelda where you put an orb into a hole but I was on top of a small plateau near the ocean and had to use stasis to move a rock so I could put the orb in the hole and when I flicked the rock it nicked the orb and shot it out into the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Ughhhh today just got really loving lovely really loving fast. Does anyone have any funny or cute video suggestions for me to help cheer me up

Here, have a fox friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1TLthE03U0

• Locked thread