Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/837031975839936512

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Up until the last case the second game is kinda hit or miss. I don't think the series ever gets bad even at its worst (AAI), but it has its peaks and valleys.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A lot of good JRPGs were on DS or PSP that gen.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

My uncle named one of his kids Leia but pronounced differently to provide probably not-at-all effective cover.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

an actual dog posted:

Just spell it Leah

I think that's actually what they did, thinking more about it.

e: I'm so bad about remembering my cousins' names lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

He opens and closes his videos wearing a silly outfit, that's pretty much it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's because they make money op

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There aren't enough RPGs and stuff set in contemporary settings imo, especially if you discount jrpgs set in schools or with one as a regular location

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

...Hey, would the Yakuza series go here as a good rpg-esque kind of contemporary setting for a game? As I understand it there's a lot you can do in the game aside from punching people, and the writing seems pretty snappy.

Yeah, most everything outside of the main crime drama plot is goofball sidestories and minigames.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/840575742119444480

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

glam rock hamhock posted:

I got all the endings in Stein's Gate the other day and god drat that was a cool game. Like it's hard to justify why it's so good. Even for a VN it has little interaction (and what's there is oddly obtuse) and the game has so many anime cliches it's maddening. However, somewhere along the line they decided to put effort into things for some reason and the writing is strong enough and the story is interesting enough that it sort of just passes through the cliches it uses barely scathed. It's like they took the dull shells of these tropes and actually filled them in so you had characters whose personalities and actions made perfect sense with who they were and where they came from, so it mostly felt natural. Hell, even the endings where you end up with a girl that isn't that well matched to the protagonist, they put an extreme amount of effort to make the ending make perfect. I rarely see anything this tropey use those tropes while also actually putting the the effort that people usually people are expecting the use of tropes to create.

It's pretty much all on the back of the staff unique to Steins and 0, the rest of the franchise it's in isn't nearly as good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

bloodychill posted:

Is Breitbart reputable? I am continuing operating under the assumption that this poo poo is not normal or good.

video of the founder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ZvdF-N_2g

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's interesting how Nintendo can still make games that serve as big market events despite the shrinking share of the hardware they run on. Part of that is inertia from their old popularity, but Splatoon was a new IP and shockingly big considering that plus being on the WiiU.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Palpek posted:

. You're basically making this thread D&D for people who can't put enough effort to make a proper argument so they'll drop their hot takes...to feel better about themselves.

That's just d&d

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I dunno about kotaku but previews might as well be mandated to be blandly positive 99% of the time so I'd wait for it to get in people's hands.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cyron posted:

So i assume the goons think that jim sterrling is the true review of zelda becuase he hates it. he is a awful reviewer with a shity fanbase. and ignoring the fact 4 weeks ago he made a video about how we should steel stuff from the nintendo store from times sqare and he don't respect anyone from there. goons will love anyone for being bad at their job. see D&D being all for Hillary.

hes right

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unleashed Day-style levels are reportedly really expensive to make, since it's tons of modeling per, like, minute of content. In that context it's not surprising they tried at something less intensive with LW, as poorly as it turned out.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I have several problems with TP but the major one is definitely the color palette, and that's something a remaster can't fix. It's like there's a grey filter over everything, not pleasant. It's so odd that that's the direction they chose to take immediately after the vibrant world of wind waker.

Well, it was a direct response to the backlash and desire for a more serious Zelda in the vein of that spaceworld demo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You can swap between the free movement and regular combat so I think it's just a visual thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Motion controls are cool since it made aiming in zelda games not piss. Shame they also ruined the swordplay twice in a row

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Aiming stuff is the one consistently well-implemented use for motion controls and idg the beef people have with it. After playing botw I was twisting my ds4 like a moron and wondering why reticles weren't moving lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/VinnyCaravella/status/846516846518001666

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

The Nexus was a really good hub area too.

I've only played a bit of Demons' but yeah, your little home base of fellow trapped souls is cool, granted you don't being the serial killer home.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

raditts posted:

Arby's social media has been pretty good lately

I love #Brands

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Having a fresh first experience is nice but it's dumb when it gets to the point of insisting that detailed discussion just not happen on enthusiast sites unless it looks like an FBI doc.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

haveblue posted:

I don't even necessarily think you're wrong, just that "spoiler" wasn't the right word.

Yeah. There are a lot of aspects of zelda that I think would be cool to experience as a kid new to games rather than someone familiar with series conventions.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

spudsbuckley posted:

Ugh.

So is Persona 5 actually something that a normal person who has no experience of the series could pick up and enjoy if they only sort of like JRPGs?

Basically, i liked Yakuza 0 with no prior knowledge of the series, is P5 the same?

I mean, that same review said it's a good game, just pointed out one of the issues it has

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unless you're completely sure that you're making the followup doing a cliffhanger is kinda asking for it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That Rome JRPG Capcom published?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trying to steer gaming discussion away from superficialities is a losing battle, man

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*miyazaki voice* loanwords were a mistake *starts yelling at a roomba*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yes, but it's weirder that I hate them but keep reading

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-X8DkdZhM

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Certainly this is far more logical than actually expressing what you dislike. Certainly when asking for opinions of games that are 'low-anime' it certainly is useful to have a vague description that doesn't actually imply what you're looking for or to avoid.

but yeah it'd be better to actually say and discuss what you like/dislike about stuff rather than get into weird pedantic slapfights over something that's pretty idiosyncratic to SA, at least in frequency of usage

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*steps out from :crossange:* persona 4 isn't anime

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In Training posted:

This exact same conversation happened a week ago

We've entered an endless recurrence of time

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neutral Anime Hotel

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

JRPGs are often pretty poor at communicating and requiring engagement with their mechanics, yeah. Random encounters went away a while back with the occasional exception, usually in intentional throwback games.

and tbh CT's map encounters were just as bad as random ones could be or worse whenever dungeons tried to loop you around

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I've never played any of them but I hear they have more Zelda-like combat. Is the series a continuous story or are they separate like Final Fantasies are? Is there a best one to start with?

They have a single story, but aside from I&II being effectively one game they're basically episodic adventures about an adventurer coming to a land by boat or shipwreck and dealing with whatever issue. Good ones to start with are either Oath in Felghana or Origin on PC.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 31, 2017

• Locked thread