Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nintendo Is Doomed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Imagine if we woke up tomorrow and all the video game journalism websites were gone

how would the world function

https://i.imgur.com/Nfb9Kll.gifv

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah prey looks like a systemshock reboot

I remember before the first Dishonored came out reading a preview in which the devs said that the ability to possess rats and fish came from them brainstorming the logical conclusions players would draw from having the ability to possess humans. I wonder if being able to turn into a coffee cup in Prey was bourne from that same mindset.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

Going to see Logan tonight, very excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq1IFUlV8s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't like fighting game-style combos mostly because I've never been able to get the timing down correctly, especially if it also involves combining directional inputs more complex than holding a direction and pressing a button at the same time.

Not by coincidence, one of my favorite combo systems ever is the one from God Hand where you have one simple combo combo string from mashing the attack button and then a few special moves based on specific buttons but every single one of them can be assigned a specific move.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Sleeping Dogs was just True Crime: Hong Kong with the serial numbers filed off so a Sleeping Dogs movie being an existing script with a few game names ctrl-f'd into the script would actually be incredibly true to the source material.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So what is going to be the big AAA release that actually satiates some peoples' blood lust for poo poo show reviews? Like they've been chomping at the bit to indulge themselves in the schadenfreude of a game that's been in development for years and has a huge budget go up in smoke once it's in the hands of reviewers and the gaming public at large.

2016 gave us Battleborn, Mighty No 9, No Man's Sky, Quantum Break, ReCore, and Dead Rising 4. Also it had the entire launch of and subsequent complete indifferent towards VR. And a ton of high-profile sequels that dramatically underperformed even if some of them were actually good games.

You just have to take the dry seasons with the rain. CrowbCat will always find something to make videos out of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38sPNZ8QHO4

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

What's going on with VR now anyways? Did PSVR do ok/are there upcoming games

On the PC front last month Valve announced that they're making three new full-length VR games but Gabe Newell also admitted that VR could “turn out to be a complete failure” if it doesn't catch on in the next few years.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nice to see the bad guy from Foodfight! getting work.

http://i.imgur.com/Q1CIvdQ.gifv

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/automaton_tom/status/837027380287909889

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Charlie Sheen to play the role of the ultimate bad guy in the Mass Effect Andromeda trilogy.

Illusive Man Jr., who is just a tiny clone of the first Illusive Man who snuck aboard one of the ships before they left the Milky Way galaxy.

Ilusorio Estevez

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYHXUylYJy8

Lizard Wizard posted:

Here thread, I got you a present

So many people are thirsty for the walleyed fat cartoon dog Switch, it's unreal.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIJmGj4g-s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

darksydephil got kicked out of machinima. the only thing i know about him is he got caught masturbating on stream once

You know how CWC was basically a whipping boy for other basement dwellers who were only slightly less sad and broken than he was? Darksydephil is that for competitive fighting game people and Let's Players.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In the N64 Zelda games when attacking bosses brought the frame rate down to the single digits it felt super badbass.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I haven't really been following Shovel Knight's recent development but they're adding a cosmetic option to swap the genders of all the main characters, which only further cements my love of Yacht CLub Games since it's both cute as heck and making a bunch of stupid assholes really, really mad.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Can we triple the amount of hours in a day until I'm done with zelda please thank you

Just play the Song of Time backwards.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah I didn't keep up with Twitter stuff and when I heard Jontron was being horrible on twitter I thought maybe he typed something that came off poorly. Then I checked. Nope that's not the case :stare:

I'm in the same boat, it was weird watching an hbomberguy video and being vaguely aware that the guy people post funny GIFs of sometimes is now doing five-hour livestreams about commulists.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So between Horizon and Doom the thing I'm taking away from this is that AAA game devs are dogshit at showing off how actually good their games are.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure because the "chick" the ad referred to was the sorceress, and I remember thinking "what an unfortunate character design".

For whatever reason all the marketing of the game made it look like the new characters were the only playable ones, including the box art.

In Gauntlet the yellow character was always black, and if you played as a yellow dwarf it was Mr. T.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Apparently I wasn't even pronouncing Hylian properly

I was in fourth grade when Ocarina of Time got really big and me and my friends all pronounced it "oh-car-in-a" for like a year.

Also it wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that the Mario enemies weren't named "Latuki" and "Bomb-Omb", which is especially bad considering that I saw the Mario movie in theaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmVeZEB-Qmg&t=10s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

i'm halfway through botw i guess and i have a strong feeling the last two "dungeons" are going to be just like the first two. i still want to explore the rest of the map but i don't want to get into any more fights, either. burning out fast

Real hurthling! posted:

i am both totally addicted to it and also kinda annoyed at it because i've been playing so much of it and dealing with the same few issues over and over.

Breath of the Wild: The Phantom Pain

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There are still a good number of JRPGs being made, it's just that a lot of them aren't actually from Japan. :v:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

I was obligated to play manshep because he embodies two Marks (VA and custom face) and my name is also Mark.

I wonder what would be a bigger mindfuck to stumble into for the first time unspoiled during some late-night gaming, being named Gary and playing through the clone vault in Fallout 3 or being named Isaac and fighting Mom in The Binding of Isaac.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Naming your kids after Game of Thrones characters has to be the worst trendy nerd parent thing, because at least video games are actually good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Name your kids Frisk and Lisa, so when they inevitably murder you people can have a sensible chuckle.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

How do you get Rinella from Rinoa

Now that quinoa is a thing she's probably going to have people calling her "Reen-wah" for the rest of her life.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
"Dad, why did Aunt Sally name my cousin Diamond?"

"Because she loves diamonds, they're her favorite thing in the world."

"And where did you get my name from, Dad?"

"Shut up and do your homework, Ys: The Oath in Felghana."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MinibarMatchman posted:

looked at jontrons's feed today and yikes, what happened to this guy's brain the last few months

It's not his fault that the Commulists are trying to take over America.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCiLsj2hk5o

Jay Rust posted:

According to Wikipedia, JonTron will be voicing a character in that yooka-layle game, so that's good

Jim Sterling voiced a character in Read Only Memories/2064: We Changed The Name To Read Only Memories For Some Reason so going by the transitive property Yooka-Laylee should be an amazing game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6d1iFAncc

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I generally agree with him but I find his persona really offputting.

He's the perfect storm of not really being particularly funny or interesting, having a really offputting and unpleasant appearance and manner of speaking made even worse by him trying to own it with his ironic fascism shtick, and being popular enough to cause actual problems by siccing his legion of fans on whatever irks him. His crusade against terrible no-effort games on Steam isn't quite as asinine as, say, TotalBiscuit's framerate police but when he makes videos that millions of people watch about games that like a hundred people own and then use that to pressure Steam to make it harder for legitimate developers to sell their games it comes off as petty and self-serving at best.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

I played KZ 1-3 and they were pretty standard FPS games. Nothing extremely amazing except maybe multiplayer for 2 and 3 because there wasn't any online sci fi shootmans at the time. At least on PS3. And they might as well been regular military shooters because there wasn't anything really out there in terms of sci fi weaponry.

The games were just mediocre if you look at them in a vacuum but the context of Sony outright lying to everyone while pushing them as killer apps not once but twice is where a lot of the backlash comes from; Killzone 1 was supposed to be the PS2's Halo Killer because it had a bunch of impressive-looking screenshots but then it could barely even run when in motion, and then when the PS3 was unveiled with that incredibly obvious fake CGI trailer that they kept shamelessly swearing was actual gameplay footage.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Once it's been proven that one is obviously objectively better than the other

Horizon Zero Dawn outsold Breath of the Wild despite being a brand new IP and starring a woman, both of which are things Nintendo is deathly allergic to unless squids are involved.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
A bit late to the visual novel but I really wish that they could combine the creativity, complexity, and experimentation of the modern text adventure scene and with the ease of use and quality of life and production values of the visual novel.

Phantasium posted:

Re: Visual Novel chat, if you want something like that but are allergic to anime, you can always try The 39 Steps on Steam, which is just a really nice adaptation of an old thriller novel and is quite good (I don't think there's any choices or anything like that).

You could tell that it was an adaptation of a century-old novel because the villains are The Jews.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

Well I didn't remember that detail, so gently caress me and that suggestion.

I don't know how strong it was in the original book but in the game there's only one time that they explicitly mention that Jewish elites are the people conspiring to assassinate an ambassador so they can profit off of the war it causes, the rest of the time it's just the assassination itself that they focus on. And it's explicitly a historical work with the game being a way to present the prototypical "man on the run" story in a new way so it's not like guys making the game are anti-semites or anything.

It wasn't super amazing as a game but it was kind of cool from a historical perspective since there were times when you would be combing through actual early-1900s newspapers and there was a lot of period photographs and artwork. It reminded me more of those CD-ROM multimedia experiences that were big in the mid 90's than a traditional visual novel.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The last time a small-numbers RPG with flat stylized graphics based on a cartoon with an insufferable fanbase that I stopped watching years ago came to consoles it gave us noted surprise goodgame South Park: The Stick of Truth.

So needless to say, I'm cautiously optimistic that lighting will strike twice with Steven Universe: Save the Light.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Has anybody read Souls of Darkness? The idea of a fake Worlds of Power book about a modern game that's also a parody of the source material sounds like the kind of thing that could work very well or not at all and its cameo minigame in Frog Fractions 2 made me remember that I never actually got around to reading it and apparently it was successful enough for them to launch a Kickstarter for a sequel based on Fallout.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

"John Carmack hosed up unbelievably, desperately struggling to find a way to salvage it.

"Man who thinks that minimum should be outlawed now upset that he is not paid what he feels he is worth."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Playing games in HD on a PC after a lifetime of consoles played on fuzzy old CRTs was probably the most I've been blown away by graphics but it was also incredibly bittersweet because it made me realize how ugly almost everything I had played up to that point was beneath the blur and the fuzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Maybe it's my own lovely experiences talking here but if that's how the guy acts when he's on camera I have a pretty good idea of how much worse it's gonna be when they're away from prying eyes.

• Locked thread