Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Game of the month this month is Titanfall 2 singleplayer.

Edit: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IODcoZpvzlM/maxresdefault.jpg

mutata fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jesus christ, it's apparently not socially active enough and/or too socially tryhard to just be amused in passing at idiots getting angry at whatever the gently caress y'all need to relax.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I went to get groceries and came back with a Ps4 Slim, so I have that now, I guess.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think what people are saying is maybe the reason people have bought the switch is for reasons other than Netflix so maybe it's not as big of a wait-wait-wait failure as you suggest? Maybe? Am I wrong here?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm waiting at the dentist to get a root canal retreatment.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I still can't believe what a masterstroke it was to get Amon Tobin to do the soundtrack for Chaos Theory. He should score all Splinter Cell games for forever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Uh, plenty of people make videos of Nintendo stuff. GameGrumps has a Breath of the Wild series right now, in fact.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bully is the best rpg set in modern times.

Seriously though, I'd play a Spielbergian early 80s suburban kids-on-bikes rpg if anyone wants to make one.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So I haven't bought HZD yet, but would a mapless playthrough be a thing I should do?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Walled City features prominently in The Bourne Supremecy novel and lots of literature. It's cited heavily throughout cyberpunk lit and media as a primary influence. Something about the layers upon layers of unregulated, unfettered, and blind-eyed development. Synthetic design growing and expanding itself like an organic creature.

There's a photo book about it: https://www.amazon.com/City-Darkness-Life-Kowloon-Walled/dp/1873200137 But the price has only ever risen, outpacing my willingness to spend increasing amounts of money on it.

In other news, what if I just used the HZD map for mainline quest stuff and tried to explore everything else organically? I'm happy to hear there's no mini-map or anything.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In Training posted:

It's should be free because it was never actually finished. It's stupid to turn it into a commercial product but capitalism is unstoppable.

I mean, I'm sure it will continue to be until things like food, shelter, and health are a part of capitalism.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As per usual all of these issues are infinitely more complex and interconnected than people want to paint them. There's a vast spectrum running from "actual racism and antisemitism" all the way down to "quotes memes with friends because that's what all teenagers ever have done yes even you it's just they were called dumb and dumber and Austin powers quotes back then". Lots of stuff in between. Kids can even yell jokes in one part of the spectrum while actually holding beliefs in another part.

I know it's crazy, but they're very similar to you and your friends when you were teenagers!

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 14, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Constructor HD remake comes out next month but that's more of a town-builder/strategy hybrid thing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

now all we need is a really awful collection of nickelodeon cartoon games, or perhaps a 2-pack of the SNES Chester Cheetah games

I joke among my game dev friends about bringing back "the golden age of advertainment" when they did fully-featured, full-price video games based on brands and products like Cool Spot and Chester Cheetah and poo poo. They laugh but inside I'm only half-joking.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Palpek posted:

You mean like Disney Infinity :v:.

Disney Infinity was torn between Disney Corp viewing it as a marketing tie-in while the developers viewed it as its own IP. My dream is poo poo like going all-in on fully-funded, AAA, next-gen, open-world games based entirely on the Coca-Cola logo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nintendo's Mushroom Kingdom Big Game Hunting.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Frostbite is a rendering engine, it does not control art direction. ME has the same lighting engine, but it's not lighting photoscanned real life assets like is happening in Battlefield, for example.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Better than what I had for lunch which was most of a bag of Brach's Chicks and Rabbits candy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's pretty much "Oh look, here's a WOMAN who may or may not have been involved, let's just attack HER". From what I've gathered she worked in the mocap studio which is, like, 1 stop among 20 that animation data makes on its way to your screen.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I assume you're taking about the institutional side of games industry because most of my industry friends talk about it a lot.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I had a blast playing through Abzu with my 3 year old, if that's worth anything.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Abzu is NOT Journey. Abzu is fun but light. A spectacle with some peppered messaging. Every time it comes up I mention that I played it with my 3 year old on purpose. It's like going to an aquarium but a heavily themed, light storyline aquarium.

Edit: It is very joyful and chill, though.

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 20, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BexGu posted:

cams has not really been taking people making fun of ME:A very well.

I still have no idea what this means. I must be getting old

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ah, well he's not wrong.

We're all goons here

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The new Mass Effect suffers BECAUSE the humans are slightly stylized but everything else is going for straight realism.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CJacobs, come to the 3DCG thread in CreativeConvention we will help you.

Edit: Writing for anything else IS the project. Movies and TV get closest, but even then they follow the writing super closely. Writing for video games is only PART of the project, and often times not even the MAIN part and often times it's being done concurrently with design and production and will have to be changed to suit gameplay, visuals, technical limitations, etc etc. It's super complicated.

Imo the best videogame writing is what's called just "world building" in other writing mediums. You create a place and establish rules and history for how it works and then you have to let the player poke at it as best you can. Like what BOTW is doing right now.

mutata fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 23, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

is stupid, agreed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Reposting this because it was an end of the page edit. :colbert:

mutata posted:

Edit: Writing for anything else IS the project. Movies and TV get closest, but even then they follow the writing super closely. Writing for video games is only PART of the project, and often times not even the MAIN part and often times it's being done concurrently with design and production and will have to be changed to suit gameplay, visuals, technical limitations, etc etc. It's super complicated.

Imo the best videogame writing is what's called just "world building" in other writing mediums. You create a place and establish rules and history for how it works and then you have to let the player poke at it as best you can. Like what BOTW is doing right now.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well let's define "video game writing". Is it dialog? Is it story beats? Is it world building?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not a writer but why is this a difficult thing do to

Aren't most of us human beings

Haha, try it sometime. It's hard to make anything artificial feel natural. Conversations in any writing in addition to feeling natural also need to be true to character, progress storyline, plot, or character arcs, and not speak against anything that was said before that scene or will be said in the future. Oh, also it needs to be entertaining and/or endearing and/or any other emotion. It's not really like real human dialog at all, it just has to have a wrapper around d what it's actually doing and that wrapper is often labeled "sounds natural".

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lobok posted:

Yeah it should basically never happen. The interrupted line should have extra, meaningless words tacked on that are intended to be missed by the audience once the emphasis is shifted to the new speaker. It's even worse when subtitles are on because you can see the painful transition coming a mile away and that highlights it more.

To be fair, that subtitles thing happens in movies with closed captions too, that's hardly a mark against them. The gaps in general can be laziness but they can also be technical hitches, bugs, framedrops, or background loading or maybe Windows is doing diagnostic poo poo in the background or or or..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All I'm saying is that it ISN'T by design. There's never a writing integration meeting where everyone sits around a table and goes "ok, so we all agree that we should leave big gaps between dialog, yes? Great, meeting adjourned!"

Edit: Or rather, it isn't by design for that reason. It's most likely a conscious decision due to various limitations of timing and game engine mechanics, if not for the reasons I listed above, and possibly even to account for unknown aforementioned above possibilities causing even worse problems or hitches.

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 24, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sefal posted:

Would it be weird to talk about a game the company you are working for is making? But you yourself are not involved in the game development.

I worked on every Disney Infinity game and have talked about it here so if they haven't run me out, then you should be fine. Just don't break any NDAs or whatever.

Edit: Or do, what do I care.

mutata fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 24, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Marrakesh is fun for sniper challenges and side contracts, though. It seems like it'd be a better Splinter Cell level than a Hitman level though. Opposite of the India one.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think with new tech and modern art direction a world War 2 game doesn't have to be brown and flat anymore and could actually be ok but if it's just Inglorious Basterds the game, I'm super cool with that too. This is my hot take amen.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/StarCraft/status/845870429067608068

mutata fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 26, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Apparently it's the same engine and everything. You can watch replays and switch graphics from old to new on the fly and play with original version players. Kinda neat!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm pretty sure skyrim still has hand to hand combat stuff, yes?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Console gamer: it's fun to give pc gamers an fps and a controller lol

PC Gamer: oh, so auto-aim is just an on-by-default menu option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Stux posted:

whats auto-aim

It's that band-aid setting that devs hide in their console games' menus and turn on by default so players don't know that aiming with a joystick blows and feel bad.

• Locked thread