Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

I've found the best games writing comes from total madmen, like Suda51, Yoko Taro, or SWERY. I'd put Kojima on there as well, solely because he attempts to do things with storytelling in games you otherwise could never do with other mediums. There are great traditional storytellers of course but the guys who really stretch what's only possible in an interactive setting do some very fun things.

The Zero Escape/Ever17 guy is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

aw yeah... that vintage exquisite tea degradation of gamers posting i needed. hit me with that Everything is Bad Unless I Like It next :yum:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

I've found the best games writing comes from total madmen, like Suda51, Yoko Taro, or SWERY. I'd put Kojima on there as well, solely because he attempts to do things with storytelling in games you otherwise could never do with other mediums. There are great traditional storytellers of course but the guys who really stretch what's only possible in an interactive setting do some very fun things.

I think for good or ill this is true in that they genuine want to do weird things with the medium and are less interested in telling traditional stories so they're not suffering from the flaws of the genre.

That said something to say about all three of them is that they make games about games and so they take advantage of that fact to write around things with 'this is intentional, it's a video game." Which isn't at all a bad thing but means they get to neatly sidestep some of the big problems of game writing by embracing the fact they are explicitly discussing video games.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On video game writers, I gotta say that guy Sam Lake is awesome, love Max Payne. Plus he looks like Max Payne! In High School that game got me into film noir and whatnot, I still think Lake has a very fun voice and in general is a great writer.

Also a Kojima fan of course.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
RPGs in particular keep doing the most annoying thing in the world, which is when you meet someone and then you have between 5 (Bioware) and 10 (Obsidian) conversation options which all boil down to "So who are you?"

I don't know who in the world likes clicking on all of them in a row, or why none of them have tried to streamline it by editing down all the :mordin: into one compelling dialogue chunk instead of several bite size "Why'd you join?" "OK, where's your family?" "OK, what are your goals?" type things. It's something I had to specifically call out as something I would really prefer not to do and they reacted as if I was crazy until I went at it for 30 minutes on Why It's Bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

And then at the end of the day, you're writing for an audience of mostly idiots who have turned their brains to mush playing video games and wouldn't even recognize good writing if they saw it.
video games are good, tho?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
video games are good

gamers are incredibly, ridiculously dumb and emotional, collectively speaking

the two statements don't contradict each other

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think it's a coincidence that the games that tend to be cited as having the best writing either have awful gameplay (Planescape) or have writing and gameplay largely segregated (MGS).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Endorph posted:

video games are good, tho?

Shakepeare said it best - playing games is the thing!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

A rocket propelled grenade exhibits composition: it "Has a" rocket. A rocket fired from a rocket launcher exhibits inheritance, it "Is a" rocket.

RPG doesn't actually stand for "rocket-propelled grenade", that's a backronym.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/radiostarkiller/status/844988588257370112

revenge for the guy that posted realistic foot kirby earlier

mutata posted:

CJacobs, come to the 3DCG thread in CreativeConvention we will help you.

I might do that!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
i can't wait for yooka-laylee even more now and i hope Jontron get hung at a gas station with children throwing stones at his dead body.

i want his voice replaced by Danny from gamegrumps to piss off his shity fans.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 23, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

exquisite tea posted:

And then at the end of the day, you're writing for an audience of mostly idiots who have turned their brains to mush playing video games and wouldn't even recognize good writing if they saw it.

This

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

haveblue posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the games that tend to be cited as having the best writing either have awful gameplay (Planescape) or have writing and gameplay largely segregated (MGS).

Because of the medium we get into a gray area of describing creative roles. If it wasn't somewhat segmented, as in the gameplay/interacting tells the story, you'd probably credit the direction more than the writing right? Even though it's all connected with games. It's just easier to cite a game that has a lot of good dialogue or a solid plot.

Granted sure, you can tell a solid plot without much dialogue or cutscenes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

is stupid, agreed.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

precision posted:

RPGs in particular keep doing the most annoying thing in the world, which is when you meet someone and then you have between 5 (Bioware) and 10 (Obsidian) conversation options which all boil down to "So who are you?"

I don't know who in the world likes clicking on all of them in a row, or why none of them have tried to streamline it by editing down all the :mordin: into one compelling dialogue chunk instead of several bite size "Why'd you join?" "OK, where's your family?" "OK, what are your goals?" type things. It's something I had to specifically call out as something I would really prefer not to do and they reacted as if I was crazy until I went at it for 30 minutes on Why It's Bad.

a lot of older games do that to pad out poo poo and it's really quite worthless, it should just flat out run that question on autopilot and move on to other viable dialogue choices. even worse is when you are REQUIRED to go through all 4 choices ANYWAY so it's even more pointless.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Reposting this because it was an end of the page edit. :colbert:

mutata posted:

Edit: Writing for anything else IS the project. Movies and TV get closest, but even then they follow the writing super closely. Writing for video games is only PART of the project, and often times not even the MAIN part and often times it's being done concurrently with design and production and will have to be changed to suit gameplay, visuals, technical limitations, etc etc. It's super complicated.

Imo the best videogame writing is what's called just "world building" in other writing mediums. You create a place and establish rules and history for how it works and then you have to let the player poke at it as best you can. Like what BOTW is doing right now.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also for the record, I am technically a published writer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

MGS is a weird choice because that's a game I'd point to where writing and gameplay are inextricably intertwined.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fridge corn posted:

Also for the record, I am technically a published writer

fanfiction.net doesn't count

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well let's define "video game writing". Is it dialog? Is it story beats? Is it world building?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mutata posted:

Well let's define "video game writing". Is it dialog? Is it story beats? Is it world building?

Yes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mutata posted:

Yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's badass, is what it is

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

mutata posted:

It's an RPG maker-like

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
graphics, musical score, etc have really become much more sophisticated during the last few years

it's interesting to see that video games are still flailing with writing, even the "strong examples" are still just okay when compared to other mediums

world building on the other hand has improved in strides, so while writing in general is still meh, this one part of video game story telling is getting a lot of love lately and i think that's swell as gently caress

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

mutata posted:

It is the words.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

That's something I noticed a lot in Horizon Zero Dawn, actually, where sometimes they break up even the same "What's your deal?" branch into multiple times where the player has to ask another question. But it's not like it branches--instead, what happens is the dialog stops, the wheel comes back up, and in place of the last question you asked is the obvious follow-up that will continue the story the person was just telling you. I wondered why they didn't just keep going and why I had to select that obvious question again.

I'd get it if there was something for Aloy to react to, or a possible branch, but that wasn't it. It was sort of like an off-ramp, maybe, where I could've changed the subject there, but it really didn't feel necessary and stuck out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of good game writing also tends to be subtle. It works to make the player act in the way the writer wants and in doing so you probably don't even think about it. There's a scene late in The Last of Us where Joel busts into a room and (theoretically) murders everyone in there. It's possible not to do that but by the direction, pacing and structure of the scene a lot of players just instinctively do it without thinking, which mirrors the behavior of the character without forcing it. It doesn't work for everyone (as no writing will) but it works enough to say that a lot of people just instinctively reacted and took action themselves. You can play with illusions as long as you work to make people believe the illusion basically.

If someone asked you why TLoU was well-written though people would cite the dialogue or the themes or the character arcs or whatnot which isn't untrue but also there are a lot of smaller beats which contribute to it and people gloss over because they don't even realize they are there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mutata posted:

It's a sick 1080° while catching huge air off a rad playground quarter-pipe.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of good game writing also tends to be subtle. It works to make the player act in the way the writer wants and in doing so you probably don't even think about it. There's a scene late in The Last of Us where Joel busts into a room and (theoretically) murders everyone in there. It's possible not to do that but by the direction, pacing and structure of the scene a lot of players just instinctively do it without thinking, which mirrors the behavior of the character without forcing it. It doesn't work for everyone (as no writing will) but it works enough to say that a lot of people just instinctively reacted and took action themselves. You can play with illusions as long as you work to make people believe the illusion basically.

If someone asked you why TLoU was well-written though people would cite the dialogue or the themes or the character arcs or whatnot which isn't untrue but also there are a lot of smaller beats which contribute to it and people gloss over because they don't even realize they are there.

The Last of Us is one of my go-to examples for game writing that uses the fact that games are interactive to tell its story without actually involving story or dialog choices. The perspective shifts are really important there, too, like how you control Ellie in the epilogue and not Joel, even though Joel is leading the action and definitely leading the conversation. It's no mistake that this happens immediately after Joel makes a decision that a lot of players (going by the online reaction at the time) vehemently disagreed with. The moment Joel is perhaps most alienated from the player is when the player stops having to be Joel at all.

Naughty Dog is pretty good at that, overall, using the fact that the player is likely to identify as the character they're controlling and leveraging that for narrative or emotional effect.

Mother 3 is my other go-to example, but that takes a lot longer to explain. I was clued in to look out for it because whoever you're controlling in Mother 3 is a silent protagonist, but as soon as you're controlling someone else, that character can have dialog again, even Lucas.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

MGS is a weird choice because that's a game I'd point to where writing and gameplay are inextricably intertwined.

I picked it mostly because it's the series most famous for endless noninteractive sequences.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

haveblue posted:

I picked it mostly because it's the series most famous for endless noninteractive sequences.

maybe if you don't consider tears, laughter, cheers, exclamations, and frantic earnest nodding "interacting"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my go to example is fire emblem thracia 776

its about how leif is a useless sack of poo poo railing against an empire too powerful for him to inflict meaningful damage or losses on, so it's hard and all your units are terrible, and there are tons of chapters where the objective is to run away and you usually can only win by using stupid gimmicks involving magic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Naughty Dog games are phenomenal at having conversations which actually sound like human beings having conversations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

RPG doesn't actually stand for "rocket-propelled grenade", that's a backronym.

That's true, but still is a rocket-propelled grenade...

Or at the very least, still has a rocket as part it.

In Training posted:

Content-wise and thematically, sure. But the writing is presented more or less linearly. Writing for a game like MGS is fundamentally different than writing for a game like Witcher 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

Naughty Dog games are phenomenal at having conversations which actually sound like human beings having conversations.

It's amazing what talented writers combined with good actors and actual direction can do.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

maybe if you don't consider tears, laughter, cheers, exclamations, and frantic earnest nodding "interacting"

but enough about my interactions with a dangly set of colorful plastic keys

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

I'm not a writer but why is this a difficult thing do to

Aren't most of us human beings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not a writer but why is this a difficult thing do to

Aren't most of us human beings

ah, but you see, video game characters, are not

• Locked thread