Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
2 days to go! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hahah this is awesome. I'm a big fan of these weird quirky animations. It kind of lends a strange authenticity to it. I'm not sure how to explain. Maybe they don't seem like perfectly poised super heroes, but a rag tag bunch of misfits out of their depth.

It's probably not true and just animating/design mistakes though.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would definitely like to play Horizon at some point. But the Switch will take up my gaming money for a while.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I've drunk too much tea and eaten too many biscuits today at work. This was unwise.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Are we talking, biscuits & gravy biscuits or a cookie in Britainland?

We are talking bourbon biscuits here in the Queen's Dirtpile.

6 of these. I got greedy :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

Good luck on getting a Switch to those that did not preorder.

I honestly did not think there was enough coming out for the Switch this year for that to be the case.

Not that I will be buying lots of games, more than it's a decent chunk out of my yearly gaming budget. :) I try not to get too many things each year!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

IGN are dumb but at least some of the criticisms they bring up seem legit. Like they say it isn't awful but for a home console it's underpowered and for a portable it has poo poo battery life and is kinda bulky. None of that seems unreasonable to say.

I feel like the underpowered complaint only comes into play if we think of the way triple AAA games need all that processing power. The WiiU wasn't matched at all with the PS4 and Xbone (and pretty much a bit weaker than the 360 and the PS3) but it was about utilising that hardware appropriately. Even though there was a real dearth of third party games, Nintendo still released a huge library of real quality exclusive games that worked for its console. Tropical Freeze looked beautiful, Maro Kart 8 was rich as all heck and Mario 3D World is wonderful.

In a world where the PC/PS4/Xbone are interchangable and homogenous, I like the idea of a different console doing it's own thing and working to its own strengths. I'd hope that more publishers try to make cheaper games on the Switch and push the hardware, rather than the overblown, overbudgeted madness that seems to be the norm.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The problem is this is the thing that has been giving Nintendo for awhile. the limitation is fine for Nintendo but in the end will likely lead to another generation of Nintendo console where there is nothing for the console but the first party games. It's another generation where the Nintendo console is something they have to work around rather than something they can include. It's fine for people like us that can just have the Nintendo console supplement what else we have but that's also the type of thing Nintendo have been trying to break free from and I just can't see happening with this.

In a way considering what first party games we got for the WiiU I am completely happy about that.

However, it feels more as though Nintendo is eschewing the console space held by the PS4 and Xbone and attempting to carve away a lot of the ridiculously lucrative mobile market. More so than ever before with the 3DS/DS/Gameboy because people can look at the switch and see a tablet. If Nintendo do bring a lot of tablet esque features to the Switch, combined with playing Nintendo games and some popular mobile games, it could be the thing that rejuvenates their repuation.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

I can't believe another Switch thread was closed. :(

Just over 3 hours till I get mine.

We are waiting for the proper thread! It was always temporary.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I rate things on a five word system.

Bad.
Fine.
Good.
Great.
Superlative.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This would make a good photoshop thread here in games. Create better versions of classics.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am going to name my daughter Vida and my son James.

Also I am very sorry to those who have lost pets :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I also have four indoor cats. They are nuts. One of them is deaf, so they definitely cannot go outside as I would fear for her life.
The other three show interest in outside and if I move to a slightly less built up area, then I will let them be outside cats.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sunning posted:

Everyone is civil on this forum and telling each other touching stories about cats.

:psyduck:

Games is getting better and I am glad for it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just managed to snag the username videogames on grouvee! :D
Also that drumming video is so nuts. I would love to have that kind of ability!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just saw the orange box again as I am adding games to my grouvee pofile and I still think it might be one of the greatest 'games' ever sold. The content it came with is stellar.
Can anyone else think of collections like this that are as good? (As boxed copies that is, not digital sales).

I got the Quake pack when younger. It came with Q1 and three expansion, Q2 and both expansion, Q3 and Q3TA. That was awesome.
I also got the Doom box which had Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom (plutonia and tnt) along with an extra disc full of wads and tools.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

I started messing with this and another called Grouvee, I'll see which one I prefer with time.

Thanks, guys.

Grouvee is excellent, thank you for mentioning it!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Watching those videos feels like comparing the wrong kinds of games.
Zelda is wonderful, but Horizon is not trying to be what Zelda is and likewise.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

ok inspired by esteemed forums poster and mod VideoGames I've decided to just tackle my backlog by going through whichever games I haven't really played and give them a six-hour or so fair shake. If I like them, I'll keep playing. If I don't, I'll quit.

Here's the list if anyone cares:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PdVsLFhM1Wy6cKGSQjAMBrAvCEHI36S-bGTmZ0UQqAk/edit?usp=sharing

Hooray! :D I hope you have fun. I can watch alongside you in preparation for 2018.

Also I played some Companyof Heroes last night. The cutscenes are so very janky, but the gameplay itself is smooth. It's quite strangely jarring. It hasn't grabbed me yet, but I can see why it would. I just have to get into a different mindset to Total Annihilation.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Chat threads are best when we have opinions of all kinds and people don't get too bent out of shape at opinions they don't share.
It is a tricky tightrope to walk a lot of the time, but I feel we do well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Petition to rename the Zelda timeline the 'Calamity Canon'

e: Wait, how long has the Zelda thread been called that? Did I accidentally steal this joke? :(

Heheh. I saw this post and then stealth edited the title :getin:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It's harder trying to find a VN that doesn't involve psychic time travel shenanigans nowadays.

I'm going to be taking all suggestions for embarrassing VNs to play during Novelember. Quite frankly, it's going to be the weirdest gaming month.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

Why do they have to be embarrassing

I think it will be funny and weird. I'd like to expose myself to all manner of gaming I wouldn't usually go for which is the big reason for my gaming year.
VNs have a odd reputation and I want to embrace it. Embarrassing ones will make me laugh.

I do have Ace Atorney lined up for Au-gust! It was released in 2007, so it's perfect :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't believe VideoGames is bringing back the awful anime hentai reviews in November

Great idea! :D And my birthday is in that month, so it can be even more embarassing!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love Sam n Max hit the road. Playing it as a kid with my bestie and him getting a Soundblaster 16 card for his birthday and turning on the voice acting was a watershed moment.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Quake II multiplayer is still my favourite of all Quakes. It was my first 3D accelerated game. I bought an Nvidia Riva TNT2 Ultra for it.
I used to play botmatches endlessly because I'd go round computer fairs and find Quake 2 addon discs with tons of maps downloaded from the internet. (I didn't quite have it at the time).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Klaus Kinski posted:

Quakeworld/q1 has absolutely insane movement. The players were really good back then but it was still a really tiny community, would've been fun to see just how crazy the game would've gotten with a larger playerbase.

Basically Quake 3 match videos.
Some of those rocket predictions in the really large maps are pure wonder.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Klaus Kinski posted:

I don't think you played qw if you think q3 movement is in any way comparable.

I played a lot of Q1 when I was younger.
Each iteration Q1 > Q2 > Q3 felt like an upgrade and evolution of the original deathmatching abilities.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

With Quake 4 being the absolute zenith, natch.

What's Quake 4?

EDIT: I only ever played Quake 1 with a keyboard. This was back in my Doom and Wolf3D days. Quake 2 was my first mouse FPS. This might have affected how I felt about the evolution, but the changes definitely felt as though they contributed to the growth of the genre.

VideoGames fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 10, 2017

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am going to start a games review website. There will be one of five grades that games can get.

Gahh. (bad)
Gratifying. (fine)
Good. (good.)
Great. (really, really good.)
Greatest. (excellent fun and a favourite!)

It's going to be called 5Grade; Video Games Reviews video games. Or 5GVGRVG.net
I think you'll all appreciate this different approach.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is exactly what I had hoped to avoid.
:smith:

Anyway, SMB3 is obviously a greatest. As is SMW. And Teamfortress2.
You forgot that the qualifier is one of my favourites. I love tons of games with severe flaws! I also don't enjoy games that are adored by everyone else.

Also I am going to have a number called Fun Factor. Fun Factors 1-5.

G4F4 - Great and Fun Factor 4.

now the interesting query: Can a game be G1F5? I bet there can be!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I don't think perfect means without flaws. I think perfect means "It resonates perfectly with my mind and personality."

There's no such thing as a product without flaws because all things are created by humans, who are flawed beings. I like that some things have flaws because then I appreciate the good points more thoroughly.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

I don't read video game reviews

Just wait till my ace website reviews are out. Then you'll change your mind.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Good!
Great!
Awesome!
Outstanding!
AMAZING!

Ahhh, the GGAOA rating format.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
On my gaming scale, Zelda is a G4F4. Its great and has a lot of fun!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

This comes as a surprise to nobody but when people say a game is perfect they almost always mean "perfect for me." Like when people point out flaws in a game you really enjoy, you probably don't think of them as "flaws" and moreso, "welp that's just how it is." The things that bother other people don't bother you because you're invested enough in the mechanics and setting that they're not even a consideration, just things you have to do. Like when people criticize Diablo and other ARPGs because "it's just about making numbers get bigger" I just smdh and am like dude that's entirely the point and why ARPGs own.

Absolutely. I am just reiterating it for people who might be getting a little bent out of shape over numbers. Perhaps they should be playing cool ARPGs like Diablo (G5F4).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Quick List of Future G5VGRVG content:

Super Mario Brothers 3 - G5F5
Super Mario World - G5F5
Doom (2015) - G3F4
Zelda BOTW - G4F4
Bloodborne - G4F5
Fallout4 - G3F5
Planetary Annihilation Titans - G4F4
Halo - G1F1
Destiny - G4F5
Duke Nukem Forever - G2F2
Team Fortress 2 - G5F5
Strider (new) - G4F3
Planet Coaster - G5F5

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
At least the Crash remake doesn't look as odd and disappointing as the new toejam and earl :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait there's a new Toejam and Earl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMURYkJO1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
BOTW is my first real Zelda. I will tell you the sad tale of why this is so.

Many moons ago I owned a NES. I loved my NES. My first console and it has my favourite video game of all time on it (SMB3) which was also the very first game I ever completed. I wanted to get all the games for it! So I asked my parents to get me the Legend of Zelda, which I'd heard good things about.

They went on holiday to America and when they returned, they were holding the golden Legend of Zelda version of the cartridge. I was excited! So, SO excited. I'd been wanting to play this game for so long and here it was in my hands. I wasn't allowed to play it until my birthday, about a week away, but my parents said I could read the manual. I did. I read it back to front. I had a proper sized map too. I put the map to one side as I did not want to spoil anything.

My birthday comes around and I wake up early to play the game! I slot it in press the power button. It turns on but the picture jumps up and down. I am confused. I take it out and try again. Same thing.

It is then I discover region locking.

I am crushed. My parents tried to get me a convertor for months and months, but eventually we all gave up and my legend of zelda cart was sold on and I never got to play it. My next console was not the SNES but the Megadrive. I sometimes wonder if this crushing disappointment was the reason I avoided Nintendo consoles until the WiiU.

• Locked thread