Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention that my girlfriend's library is something I'll do after I'm done my own. Games like Banner Saga, Witcher 3, and Deus Ex will come later. My computer can't really play Witcher 3 but I put it on the list anywho.

I think Corn in the Bible got it so it looked and played like a PSX game, but I don't know how they did that.

e: That might have been Shadow of Mordor. It's been a while since the screenshots were posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think Corn in the Bible got it so it looked and played like a PSX game, but I don't know how they did that.

e: That might have been Shadow of Mordor. It's been a while since the screenshots were posted.

I'll still try it, yeah.

Oh and as for Thief: I bought the game so dammit I'm going to play it! Okay seriously though if it (or any of the others) give me an absolutely miserable time I'm going to cut the six-hour trial short.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Shank: I don't remember if you can do it on the first playthrough, but don't bother with Hard, the lack of checkpoints makes the game really tedious and the only real appeal to it is how ridiculous its story and presentation can get, the actual combat is pretty floaty and bad. Playing it on Normal should take, like, five or six hours in its entirety.

Sam & Max Hit the Road: Keep a guide open because it has some of the most bizarre Lucasarts adventure game puzzles and it can get really tedious sometimes. Same with The Dig. No need to worry about this with Secret of Monkey Island, assuming you're playing Special Edition.

Dark Forces II: Beware that this game is really fucky on modern pcs, I bought the GOG version specifically to make it work right and it still has bizarre issues keeping me from really diving into it that I can't find any fixes for. If you have it on Steam, well, uh, sorry, but you're kinda even more screwed.

I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream: Don't bother going for the good ending, it's pretty dumb and it's really easy to screw yourself out of achieving it.

Blood: There are no source ports available, so you're gonna have to deal with playing this game in a tiny DOSbox window in a low resolution if you want good performance, with janky mouse support.

E.Y.E: Don't try to understand it, just strap in for insanity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

codenameFANGIO posted:

FAK made the lovely evil games posters agree and be nice. Behold the power.

:(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh and Stryx your suggestion of using the puzzle games as breaks is a good idea. I might do that.

The Colonel posted:

Shank: I don't remember if you can do it on the first playthrough, but don't bother with Hard, the lack of checkpoints makes the game really tedious and the only real appeal to it is how ridiculous its story and presentation can get, the actual combat is pretty floaty and bad. Playing it on Normal should take, like, five or six hours in its entirety.

I'm not going to play anything on any difficulty higher than Normal. Games that have a reputation of being hard will be played on easier difficulties.

Yes I am aware of the Blood save/load glitch.

The Colonel posted:

Sam & Max Hit the Road: Keep a guide open because it has some of the most bizarre Lucasarts adventure game puzzles and it can get really tedious sometimes. Same with The Dig. No need to worry about this with Secret of Monkey Island, assuming you're playing Special Edition.

I'm prepared. I figured out Full Throttle on my own when I was a kid, but that's like the easiest of the LA adventure series. Monkey Island is the special edition.

The Colonel posted:

Dark Forces II: Beware that this game is really fucky on modern pcs, I bought the GOG version specifically to make it work right and it still has bizarre issues keeping me from really diving into it that I can't find any fixes for. If you have it on Steam, well, uh, sorry, but you're kinda even more screwed.

Disappointing to hear. As a rule I buy old games on GOG only so no problems there. If I can't get it working I'll just skip it, but I was really looking forward to that one :(

The Colonel posted:

Blood: There are no source ports available, so you're gonna have to deal with playing this game in a tiny DOSbox window in a low resolution if you want good performance, with janky mouse support.

I'm aware. I fiddled with it before without much issue. You're talking to someone who uses Chocolate Doom regularly and recently beat Rise of the Triad on DOSbox and had a good time.

The Colonel posted:

E.Y.E: Don't try to understand it, just strap in for insanity.

My body is ready :getin:

Thanks for the tips!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 9, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I played through the entirety of EYE a couple years ago and to this day I am still not sure if I had fun or not.

edit: which is not a good thing for me, but maybe it will be for you

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Colonel posted:

You can get it to work properly on Steam but at best it's a fiddly crapshoot and at the worst you're just plain hosed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I found Sam & Max to be one of the easier LA adventures personally, I beat it during a long weekend as a kid with no guide. I did play a ton at that time though and was probably more attuned to adventure game logic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I played through the entirety of EYE a couple years ago and to this day I am still not sure if I had fun or not.

edit: which is not a good thing for me, but maybe it will be for you

I never made it beyond the first level after you reach the hub as I was terrible with shooters (and still am tbh) but I really, really appreciated the ambiance and lore the game threw at me, so it was absolutely a worthwhile experience. Someday I hope to return and figure out how to get good at shooting so I can see the rest of it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

ok inspired by esteemed forums poster and mod VideoGames I've decided to just tackle my backlog by going through whichever games I haven't really played and give them a six-hour or so fair shake. If I like them, I'll keep playing. If I don't, I'll quit.

Here's the list if anyone cares:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PdVsLFhM1Wy6cKGSQjAMBrAvCEHI36S-bGTmZ0UQqAk/edit?usp=sharing

Hooray! :D I hope you have fun. I can watch alongside you in preparation for 2018.

Also I played some Companyof Heroes last night. The cutscenes are so very janky, but the gameplay itself is smooth. It's quite strangely jarring. It hasn't grabbed me yet, but I can see why it would. I just have to get into a different mindset to Total Annihilation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Holy shitsnacks, I just beat The Challenge in The Witness and so I've platted two games in a single evening.

Where do I sign up to become a pro gamer

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy shitsnacks, I just beat The Challenge in The Witness and so I've platted two games in a single evening.

Where do I sign up to become a pro gamer

:eyepop: Congratulations!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

fwiw I like that you post and what you have to say even when it occasionally annoys me. Chat threads wouldn't be the same without some hardcore Lurdiaking.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEIceHIxvtI

My own personal final challenge of making Rock Band customs is this song. You may ask yourself, "CJacobs, don't you think it's a little crazy to be making a 14 minute custom Rock Band song at 3:30 AM on a thursday?" And to that I would say yes but so what, I am having fun. And dammit that is what life is all about, or something like that!!

edit: That said, I am probably going to chop this down to not be 14 minutes long because the song part of the song is over at about minute 6 and from then on it's just instrumental noodling, which while cool is probably not the most interesting part for a band to play.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Chat threads are best when we have opinions of all kinds and people don't get too bent out of shape at opinions they don't share.
It is a tricky tightrope to walk a lot of the time, but I feel we do well.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Petition to rename the Zelda timeline the 'Calamity Canon'

e: Wait, how long has the Zelda thread been called that? Did I accidentally steal this joke? :(

Olive! fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 9, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the NPCs in armed & dangerous have horrifying 3d models, as best exemplified by the closing cutscene where they are underlit and its like a bunch of haunted dolls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWDHdBi3qUk&t=135s

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Quest For Glory II posted:

the NPCs in armed & dangerous have horrifying 3d models, as best exemplified by the closing cutscene where they are underlit and its like a bunch of haunted dolls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWDHdBi3qUk&t=135s

I didn't realise Runescape had cutscenes

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

e: Wait, how long has the Zelda thread been called that? Did I accidentally steal this joke? :(

I'm still trying to avoid the thread, but am a bit curious about the timeline. I think the game already told me, but I'm not sure. So, yes or no, is it the Child Timeline?

EDIT: Convergence? Score.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 9, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It references stuff from mutually exclusive timelines so I don't think anyone at Nintendo cares about 'The Timeline'.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Heheh. I saw this post and then stealth edited the title :getin:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

the NPCs in armed & dangerous have horrifying 3d models, as best exemplified by the closing cutscene where they are underlit and its like a bunch of haunted doll.
Let me tell you about Mortyr:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

Heheh. I saw this post and then stealth edited the title :getin:

I love Video Games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's everyone up to this morning?

I'm watching this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvSDSuUJzKA

Hopefully by the time it is over, I'll be tired enough to get back to sleep. If not, they've got plenty more vids I can watch.

What about the rest of you, what are you all up to?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm watching this vid.

Hopefully by the time it is over, I'll be tired enough to get back to sleep. If not, they've got plenty more vids I can watch.

I'm pretty good. Been trucking through Picross and I'm on Picross e4 on the DS. It's a good palette cleanser after other big games and nice to play before going to sleep.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm trying to get some sleep, but I played a bunch of Root Double tonight and it's scratching the same itch the Zero Escape series does for me so I'm really happy with it!

...Which is to say I think there's psychic time travel involved but it's still too early to tell what twists are gonna show up. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it tomorrow!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm watching this vid.

Im at work, working

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's harder trying to find a VN that doesn't involve psychic time travel shenanigans nowadays.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm at work not working

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I'm pretty good. Been trucking through Picross and I'm on Picross e4 on the DS. It's a good palette cleanser after other big games and nice to play before going to sleep.

Picross is good, after this vid I think I'll just pull up the freeware picross game on steam (picross touch) and play some of the steam workshop puzzles since games like picross help me get drowsy enough to fall asleep too.

fridge corn posted:

Im at work, working

Good luck with work, hopefully it isn't a stressful day!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm at work not working

Good luck with work, hopefully you aren't caught and punished for not working, though in any case you should probably get back to work just to be safe :backtowork:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Good luck with work, hopefully it isn't a stressful day!

Thank you.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It's harder trying to find a VN that doesn't involve psychic time travel shenanigans nowadays.

I'm going to be taking all suggestions for embarrassing VNs to play during Novelember. Quite frankly, it's going to be the weirdest gaming month.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

I'm going to be taking all suggestions for embarrassing VNs to play during Novelember. Quite frankly, it's going to be the weirdest gaming month.

Add Kindred Spirits to your list, watch for a Steam sale though since it's kind of expensive (assuming you're going the legal route).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why do they have to be embarrassing

Some Ace Attorney games/Ever17/Remember11/Zero Escape trilogy/Danganronpa 1 + 2 (aka most of the VNs I've played) would fill out a month pretty well I think. Maybe Hotel Dusk and Last Window too if those count

Oh and Steins;Gate

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 9, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was glossing over that bit because I only know good VN's.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VideoGames posted:

Legitimate suggestion: Play Katawa Shoujo, it is both embarrassing because of the dating-crippled-girls subject matter and heartwarming because it's well written and emotional. Maybe turn off the sex scenes because it replaces them with pics of kiwis (the fruit and the bird)

FirstAidKite posted:

Destroying my fingers putting down a billion notes for the song I posted above. Got a long way to go but it's going to be worth it to finally play a song I've wanted to play in these games for quite some time now!

Zoomed in you can see that there are a LOT of notes. For the record, there is a lot of strumming to be done in this song

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 9, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

drat, there was a visual novel I was gonna recommend on steam but it's not there anymore. Seems it got taken down for some reason. It was called "It's your last chance in new school" and it was really short and awkward.

I should LP it or something to show it off.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ive never played a visual novel

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fridge corn posted:

ive never played a visual novel

You should, they're a really interesting combination of visual media and literature. It's a genre where I would barely classify it as a video game in the traditional sense but not having that label allows them to tell much more in-depth stories than games usually do.

edit: Although they do require a lengthy attention span because if your thoughts trail off while you're playing one you'll just be clicking through the dialogue without really reading it. So if you don't have that then maybe they're not for you, some people don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CJacobs posted:

You should, they're a really interesting combination of visual media and literature. It's a genre where I would barely classify it as a video game in the traditional sense but not having that label allows them to tell much more in-depth stories than games usually do.

As someone who regularly reads actual literature, I have serious doubts that any visual novel could reach a similar level of quality.

Also I don't like anime.

• Locked thread