Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Please don't make fun of my sad times.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

VideoGames, how are you liking BotW?

:shh: I am not supposed to be playing it as it is not technically strategy. However, I have to say I think it is fantastic.

It is the Dead Space of Zelda games. In that, Dead Space did not truly have unique or original things about it's gameplay, it took almost all of its cues from other games but packaged and refined them into a wonderful product. Zelda BOTW takes a ton of great things from other open world games and combines them and refines them into a wonderful package.

As a first Zelda, is is ace and makes me want to try to play through some of the others. I would give it a G4F4. It is great and I am having a lot of fun. There are a few niggles that I have, but it is the design they were going for so it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Harrow posted:

I'd say The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Breath of the Wild are the three best open world games I've ever played, and they all do something better than the others do.

The Witcher 3 has the best story and the most involved and cool side quests. Horizon has the best combat and some of the most fun-to-play-with tools. Breath of the Wild has the best world design to support exploration and discovery. A hypothetical game that managed to combine all three would be frighteningly close to perfect.

Sunset: Breath of the Witcher

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

VideoGames, please give me a VGRVG on Kirby Air Ride. If you give it the wrong score I'm never talking to you again

I will need to play it! What system is it on?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

In Training posted:

Quake Champions is free to play and you earn in game currency to unlock other characters...but the unlock is a game time limited rental. Modern gaming ftw

I dislike the sound of this intently :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My favourite hacking minigame is the one from Bioshock. I LOVE playing pipe dreams and have had a ton of f2p pipe games on my phones over the years. I love making long wacky pipes before time runs out.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have no idea why, but every time I see more and more janky footage of ME:A it makes me want it even more.
It looks like it will be the goofy bad bmovie space opera that I hoped it would be.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Maybe all the current AAA franchises are dying away to be replaced by brand new franchises and those never considered AAA: HZD, Nier automata, Snipperclips.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am not sure where my opinion on ME:A will fall.

ME1 is a G5F4
ME2 is a G2F2
ME3 is a G5F5.

This is how I view the series so if I dislike ME:A as well then you know it's not dogpiling.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Earth Table posted:

Maybe I missed it, but is there a rubric for this neo score system

The "5Grade; Video Games Reviews video games" score system is a simple way of breaking games down into a number, which satisfies people's minds, with a more accurate result rather than marks out of ten or one hundred.

The G stands for one of the following words:
Gahh. (bad)
Gratifying. (fine)
Good. (good.)
Great. (really, really good.)
Greatest. (excellent fun and a favourite!)

G1, G2, G3, G4, G5.

The f stands for Fun Factor, with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. This allows for some games to be good but didn't give me much fun and some games to be bad but a heck of a lot of fun! It's all highly subjective to myself, but I feel has slightly more leeway than percents and all that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

ME2 is the worst one????

To me, yes. It changed everything I enjoyed about the first game, and I didn't like the majority of the new crew, or the bizarre dying/resurrection premise or the end boss, or the combat. They got rid of the cool planet exploring and mako, it became a cover shooter more than an exploration game.

ME3 is my favourite because of the way it ties up Liara, Wrex, Tali and Garrus journey with me. I love the writing and with how I played the game and when I played the game I understand that my experience is definitely the outlier. Hence, if I dislike ME:A then we know it's a bad game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

What's a good game that isn't fun?

I can recognise some games being technically well done, polished and great in their particular genre, but not have any fun playing them.
Likewise, there are some guilty poor pleasure games.

The FunFactor is purely my level of fun with the game. The words are how I approach.

Plus, it helps with my opinion sharing as I'm very much the SA definition of easily pleased casual gamer. A lot of my opinions feel as though I don't have the same levels as the rest of the forums.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

c-couldn't you just add the two numbers together for a /10 rating

Not really. Some games are fun but bad. For example, I played bad rats after being gifted it and it is a bad game, but gosh did I have fun playing such a bad game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cyron posted:

ya i was online all day making a blog on infowars about how woman should stay out of video games unless it overwatch since it infected by the SJW cucks. also if a woman want to play a MMO they must always be a healer and give nudes to the guild since woman are MY TOYS!

Don't do this.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Be the change you want to see in the forums and make a thread!

Always wonderful advice.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Earwicker posted:

starting a thread in this forum seems like a bit more complex job than in a normal forum, like you need to be an expert on the game & series and make special graphical headers & lists of resources and poo poo. I like SE4 a lot so far but I'm only halfway through and its my first game in the series, I'm not sure I'm really qualified..

As mod I am saying you can begin a thread about any game that doesn't have one if you want. Never fear to make threads. You don't need to be elaborate, just put stuff you like about it in there and ask questions and talk and anything!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I don't even have IPs access! He is barking up the wrong tree.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I need one!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Turns out Lady Videogames DID get me ME:Andromeda special edition for my PC after all and is being delivered to her today with a little Nomad model!
I'm so excited! I thought my PC wouldn't be able to run it so I asked her to cancel it. Then I tried the demo and it was absolutely fine. She must have realised and she is awesome!

I cannot wait to play Goofy space adventures :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

VideoGames your RTS month is turning into a mess!

I know! It's Total Annihilations fault. If it wasn't so good it wouldn't have ruined all over RTSes for me. The closest one is Planetary Annihilation which I have been enjoying a ton of.

Next month will be much easier though because Metroidvanias/Platformers are my favourite game genre and I have a ton of them :D I'm really excited. March was perhaps a clarification that I am not that into RTS games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

You should've allowed turn-based strategy into the month so you could enjoy X-com and maybe Valkyria Chronicles.

Hopefully you will have time to enjoy many Metroidvanias next month, the genre can get long in the tooth.

I actually played some of Valkyria Chronicles in Japanuary. It was good but the other games took over.
And I have played some Xcom this month too, but it's not grabbed me yet.

Hopefully it will because SA is nuts for it and I'd like to experience that too :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Game genres can be really tough to define in neat packages.
So many transcend the normal rules we would define that I love it and the depth which video games can have.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

These are confusions that only 30-year old men on the internet can have, meanwhile thine 10-year old self could look at any modern game and say "Oh, that's X" and be right 100% of the time.

We grow up too fast.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Role-play-em-up
Real-time-strategy-em-up
Character-action-em-up
Date-em-up

Works.

Platformers are now Jump-em-ups :D

Also Jumping Flash is the best doom clone.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Massively Obnoxious Baiting Argument: Are MOBAs good?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Massively Obnoxious Baiting Argument: Are MOBAs good?

This was only a joke BTW.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Is Witcher 3 better with KBAM on PC or controller on PS4?
I'm nowhere near playing it yet, but for the future I wonder.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That reminds me of that one Overwatch player that was doing amazing poo poo with Lucio on console, and all the YouTube comments were like "You're a fuccboi console gamer, try to do that on PC and you'll get rekt" so he bought a PC version of Overwatch and got to Grandmaster rank

Edit: excuse me, Top 500 not Grandmaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcA3cCQfe3s

This is one of my most favourite videos. Good grief I felt such a ton of joy watching it!
I don't understand what the numbers mean because I only play random overwatch matches and am not at a competitive level but it looks like that's an impressive figure.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Healbot posted:

Can't believe I share stux' opinion regarding DS3. It might be time to rethink my stance.

It is true that Stux is not automatically wrong just because he's Stux and because he is posting coherently people are seeing this more.

I like discussing games with people of wildly viewpoints different to my own as well, it's awesome to learn to appreciate things I might not like or see flaws that others might have experienced I didn't.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I've got a lovely
Bunch of coconuts, yeah heah!
Coconuts coconut.

(I don't want any games, I just love writing haikus.)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
First a line of five,
And then a line of seven,
Then one more of five.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Brothers
Kirby Superstar

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My favourite game,
(giving it a ton of thought)
Is SMB3.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Making a haiku
Is like baking a big cake,
So gosh darn tasty!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Portal 2 is my favourite written video game.
I sent an email to Jay and Eric telling them how much I adored it too. It's such an engaging story, it's acted perfectly and it's the ultimate culmination of the 'valve style of video game' story telling. The music is wonderful, the mystery interesting and the jokes funny.

I love it. I place it alongside SMB3 as my favourite videogame.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
April Games Chat: Thermidor Releases on the 1st

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Co-worker is gonna help me look into other employment opportunities today while I take care of clearing myself out. Over the weekend I'll mostly be taking care of schoolwork but I'll also be starting a project on another forum where I'll list my Top 50 Games and Game Characters

Lemme know if anyone I'd interested in seeing something like that on here

I am interested!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I call mine my pslim.

• Locked thread