Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't get a chance to respond to it before the thread was closed, but I just wanted to say I saw and appreciated your "March games like a lion" suggestion, In Training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are we talking, biscuits & gravy biscuits or a cookie in Britainland?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

March is the worst month for me. It's raining and I left my umbrella on the bus on the way to school, and now... my university apparently received a bomb threat?? Ugh!
Normally March is just the pits in New England but it's been in the 50s and 60s the last couple of years (hit 74 last week!). So that's one, uh, upside to Climate Change I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

When does Phoenix Wright get less-than-really-good? I've just completed the case with Von Karma (the vampire-looking prosecutor) and it feels great.
The next game is a bit of a low point, though it also features what is arguably the best final case in the entire franchise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would however like to utilize whatever mind powers I possibly have to convince you to never, ever play Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I remember correctly Nintendo Power actually rated Turok 2 higher, 9.7 or something. I remember it standing out to me at the time and it was one of the reason I bought that. Which you know is a solid game all told, but it's also no Ocarina of Time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

If you dismantle the first two out of three locks, but find that you maybe don't have the correct item for the last one, when you return later you have to dismantle the first two all over again. It might only take ten to fifteen seconds but it's such a waste of time. It's just... bad.
You should be able to speed up already read text by holding B, unless my memory is failing me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

babypolis posted:

have to say im a lil jelly of people playing botw because it looks amazing but once you finish that its gonna collect dust for a while, probably
That's kinda all games, though. Besides Mario Maker I can't think of a game over the past several years that I've continued to play well after it "beating" it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Confession: I've played a great many SNES games, but Actraiser has never been one of them. I should definitely rectify that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The CYOA aspect of VNs gets way overplayed/talked up IMO. The number of VNs in English that are actually worth playing/recommending is predictably rather small and just about all of them are super linear with just a handful of rather binary branching points. I guess CLANNAD is kind of OK and is pretty CYOA-like but it's also super frustrating at times with how obtuse its route structure is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FirstAidKite posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh I'd argue these can also be seen as negatives since it leads to less imagination when it comes to picturing what is going on.
What about people who have no imagination, such as engineers like me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hate the bat's nose and I'd have to be sold pretty hard on everything else in the game to make me play it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Apropos of nothing, The House in Fata Morgana is IMO the best VN currently on Steam if one is interested in a fairly brutal tragedy/drama/romance with extremely flawed but ultimately empathetic characters. What made it really cool was that it appears at first to be simply a serious of short unconnected vignettes about tragedies that transpire in a mansion over hundreds of years, but after a while it becomes quite apparent that everything is connected in a variety of ways and ultimately leads to story going into some insane(ly cool) directions. I'm not going to sit here and claim it's the only medium that that particular could be told but I think it did work quite well in that format, in that the artstyle was very unique and appealing and the music owned, and it did the VN sort of thing where not knowing what your avatar/the MC looks like plays into the story itself in a fashion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

Anyone else here headed to PAX East this weekend? I'll be around, lugging a huge heavy yellow bag and this thing which is a real handy conversation starter and beacon to find me in a crowd:

here is an extremely tired Brad Shoemaker holding it, for scale

Only a few hundred were made so it's pretty unique, I got it completely by accident when I was buying some other stuff and noticed they had a single one left because someone's order got cancelled. I sold the item code it came with for twice what the sword cost, so hey, free giant fiberglass sword. I've been bringing it to PAX East the last two years, going from talking to a couple dozen people a day to easily 300 people a day was a real shock, but I've brought it every day since. Learned the hard way not to rest it on my shoulders too much though without some kind of padding, my shoulders were insanely bruised by the end of the three days the first year around.

If you see me around, say hello! I generally wander around from room to room checking out what folks are playing, jumping in on smash bros, or whatever in between panels.
I'll be there. I am not happy that they are not doing scarves this year, apparently.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

glam rock hamhock posted:

I got all the endings in Stein's Gate the other day and god drat that was a cool game. Like it's hard to justify why it's so good. Even for a VN it has little interaction (and what's there is oddly obtuse) and the game has so many anime cliches it's maddening. However, somewhere along the line they decided to put effort into things for some reason and the writing is strong enough and the story is interesting enough that it sort of just passes through the cliches it uses barely scathed. It's like they took the dull shells of these tropes and actually filled them in so you had characters whose personalities and actions made perfect sense with who they were and where they came from, so it mostly felt natural. Hell, even the endings where you end up with a girl that isn't that well matched to the protagonist, they put an extreme amount of effort to make the ending make perfect. I rarely see anything this tropey use those tropes while also actually putting the the effort that people usually people are expecting the use of tropes to create.
I'm glad you liked it, it's one of my favorites. Time travel stories can be very hit or miss but I felt that S;G hit all of the right notes while also pairing it with a strong cast and a neat visual style and solid soundtrack. The ending was also good/satisfying enough that any talk about a potential sequel has always left me wary, because I don't see how you can follow it up well and not have it be a let down, which ultimately Steins;Gate 0 kind of was. I mean, it's fine, especially if you just want to see more of that cast of characters interacting with each other, but there's not much the plot can really say or do that you need to hear/see at this point after the original ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

glam rock hamhock posted:

It seriously was shockingly good to the degree where I'm not sure I'll ever play a better VN

Also that's one against 0 (though I'll still play it and probably watch the sequel movie because I'm done and I wanna hang out with Mayuri some more)
Mayuri and her repertoire of hats are very powerful in 0, so that's a good thing about it at least.

Umineko and House in Fata Morgana are also pretty great Steam VNs that I'd put on S;G's levels.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 3 is a really interesting game, it's maybe the most uneven game I've ever played from start to finish. There are so many interesting plot permutations that 90% of people probably never saw because they involved making decisions in the first two games that no reasonable person would ever try to make. It's like they tried to act good on their "decisions matter" promise on entirely the wrong points.
I went into ME3 long, long after the fact so nothing with its ending was really surprising to me (I also wound up doing the Citadel DLC way too early which made it kind of disappointing, I really wish I had gone through it at the end). My feelings were mostly that the main problems I had with the game is that the entire campaign is you going through the motions on uniting the races and the whole process just feeling rather tedious and rote. The only one that felt remotely satisfactory is the stuff with the genophage and maaaaaybe the Geth/Quarian conflict. Otherwise the pacing of the whole game just feels really off and that was my primary disappointment with the experience, rather than the ending. Also the tryhard DC comics ninja reject villain whose name I've forgotten.

I don't really have some sort of fanfic idea in my head as to how ME3 could be fixed, mostly since by this point I am so far removed from the franchise and its story beats that I can't be bothered to really remember what it is I cared about it in the first place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Harrow posted:

I'm not into horror movies but having watched The Babadook, I can say both a) I didn't really derive any enjoyment out of it and I wouldn't watch it again, and b) I think it's a very well-made and creepy horror movie and is therefore good.
No Country For Old Men is one of my least favorite movies of all time despite being an extraordinarily well made film in just about every category.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The only fair way to name someone as gaming's Roger Ebert is to match him 1:1. So, which reviewer hates movies the most?
Oh if this is the criteria then it's definitely Gerstmann because he hates everything. Pretty sure I even saw him trash Super Metroid on a stream, once.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lobok posted:

Poops is saying because Ebert loved movies but hated games, an Ebert-level game critic must love games but hate movies.
Oh. Well the only movies I've seen him talk positively about are Terminator 1 and F&F: Tokyo Drift, so maybe??

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

bloodychill posted:

It's easy to recommend. It's fun, it's cheap, and you can playthrough in like 6-10 hours.
It actually can be deceptively long, if I remember correctly. I think I wound up putting in around 30 hours when all was said and done after clearing all of the dungeon floors (which I think requires recruiting everyone?) and paying off my debt.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

bloodychill posted:

If you aim to clear all the dungeons, it looks like it can get pretty long. If you just pay off the debt, it can be as short as 6 hours. I'm just coming up on finishing that. However, there is a newgame+ and an endless/survival mode apparently where the debt is never paid off.
There's definitely quite a bit of plot/story you get when you go through the dungeons, I don't think I would count paying off the debt as completing it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Xenosaga 2 was a super bummer, as someone who had been so hyped for the first game (and convinced myself a long while that it was a lot better than it was). The third game is a solid B/B+ experience though. Whether that's enough for anyone to give it a try I don't really know, but at the least you can read summaries of at least the second game at the start of 3 so you can skip that one no matter what.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The special stages in Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U) don't gently caress around. This one in World 2 has left me kind of speechless.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

codenameFANGIO posted:

Is it the Bullet Bill level
It's this pyramid level with a series of really nasty challenge rooms that must be cleared all in a row, since there are no checkpoints.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

The best anime I've seen in recent memory is Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. It is an anime following the job of two rakugo performers (i.e: A Japanese one-person storytelling form) during the WWII era and features no pedophilia or excessive over-the-top laser beams and is instead thoughtful, slow-paced, emotional and has incredibly well-done voice acting that carries the story.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/showa-genroku-rakugo-shinju

Anime exist that are about things besides people with giant swords or giant anime tits, because anime just means "animated things coming from Japan." Thank you and have a good day and also watch Rakugo because it's very good on its own merits, not because it is anime.
This and 'March comes in like a lion' are both things from 2016/2017 that have been astoundingly superb. I can't think of too many dramas I've seen or read in recent years that I'd put above those two.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Of Nier/Horizon/Zelda I think I am most excited to play Nier, but given that I'm conditioned to never ever pay full price/$60 for a video game at this point and I already of course have plenty on my plate I can already tell it's going to be like 2018 before I get around to it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

If you have Amazon prime, you should still be able to get the 20% discount on a physical copy until tomorrow...
20% is not exactly breaking the bank when you're starting from $60, but even with Prime it still says like $57.49 when I add it to my cart.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Twilight Princess being so dull and by the books is why I still want to kind of defend Skyward Sword. For the myriad of problems that game has, it at least has a far more interesting style and cast of characters with some kind of personality.

I do kind of want to go through TP HD though to at least see if my feelings about it persist 11 years later.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would also say that Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda that I've beaten and actively disliked.

I can still go back to Zelda 1 (I even beat it again in recent months to test out my NESRGB). That game, for what it is, has still aged quite well. It's a comfort food type of game that I can always go back and and fart around in a dungeon or two. The Second Quest however I have not been able to revisit nearly as frequently because it relies so heavily on BS bombable/hidden walls to get around.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Zelder?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
BS Zelda IIRC does a lot weird/gimmicky things with some of the dungeons and overworld, though it certainly looks neat as hell. I definitely wished there had been a Mario All-Stars equivalent for Zelda 1 & 2 growing up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The AM2R guy should take a run at Zelda 1 & 2 remakes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Zelda 2 only got hated on IMO in retrospect. It was not thought of as being weird/bad at all in the late 80s and early 90s, until it became abundantly clear that they were no never going back to that format and all everyone saw was either a 3D Zelda or a top-down LttP equivalent. The only thing people would say against it at the time was that it was loving hard.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The combat in Zelda 2 feels great. There is just something magical about a properly timed jump+stab at an Iron Knuckle that feels satisfying. The downward stab is also a lot of fun.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They're not HQ but I was able to grab cbz archives that were posted in I think GBS of all places a number of years ago. I only grabbed up to the start of the GCN era because that's around when I stopped caring about the magazine to stay subscribed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really wish I knew why Uncharted 4 is $30 more expensive if you buy it digitally.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's frustrating because up to this point in my PS4 owning infancy, I have thus been able to download all of my games digitally but that'll likely be the lone exception. It'll just sit there, on a shelf, by itself, mocking me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GobiasIndustries posted:

Another dumb Mario RPG question: Mario Peach & Bowser is the best endgame party right?
I do believe that was the case, though I don't remember the specifics as to why. I remember I usually gave Peach the Lazy Shell armor to make her unkillable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hope Bowser goes back to being a playable characters in some future Mario RPG, Paper Mario or M&L or otherwise.

• Locked thread