Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They should make a sniper game that takes camping in multiplayer games and expands upon it, I bet it would sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
the war z--> infestation--> aftermath--> aftermath reloaded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUyvN3tzMgE

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 17, 2017

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

I know, I was just reacting to the general concept of turning snipers into heroic killing machines that do things beside wait around for a really long time then shoot at far away things. I would play Sniper Simulator 2018, with sleeping in church steeple action.

I don't think the average person legitimately has patience for a 'real' sniper sim, but I'd prolly read an LP of one if it was also informative in some way.

It's kinda funny how a lot of FPS games have a 'sniping section' of some kind, where you're kinda expected to use a sniper rifle that they conveniently hand you, but only CoD4 has pulled off an interesting sniper level (so far as I'm aware of, anyway). It has a neat mix of stealth and evasion, it sets up The Shot basically perfectly, and wraps it up with a near pitch perfect escape/last stand sort of thing. Unless you're playing on hardened or veteran, gently caress grenade spam/perfect AI aiming.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fivegears4reverse posted:

I don't think the average person legitimately has patience for a 'real' sniper sim, but I'd prolly read an LP of one if it was also informative in some way.

Well ideally it'd have quality of life features like fast forwarding time once you're at the right spot and stuff like that. I just think sniping is an interesting approach to combat that's fundamentally different from the experience most video games offer, and it's a shame that even games focusing on snipers feel the need to pad out gameplay with more generic run and gun sections.

quote:

It's kinda funny how a lot of FPS games have a 'sniping section' of some kind, where you're kinda expected to use a sniper rifle that they conveniently hand you, but only CoD4 has pulled off an interesting sniper level (so far as I'm aware of, anyway). It has a neat mix of stealth and evasion, it sets up The Shot basically perfectly, and wraps it up with a near pitch perfect escape/last stand sort of thing. Unless you're playing on hardened or veteran, gently caress grenade spam/perfect AI aiming.

Yeah, it's usually just a glorified shooting gallery section.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There are tons of hunting games out there that are basically sniping sims, might want to check them out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's not that fun when it's not the most dangerous game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

has anyone ever made a sniping Sims flash game

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
MGSV is the best Sniping game, especially because of the E-Cigar.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Palpek posted:

It's not that fun when it's not the most dangerous game.

Dinosaurs?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jay Rust posted:

There are tons of hunting games out there that are basically sniping sims, might want to check them out.

I think part of what makes a military sniper sim more appealing than a hunting sim is that your targets are people, morbid as that sounds. And that's not saying that people who play these types of things are sociopaths or whatever.

It's kinda why many gamers do like to camp and snipe in multiplayer FPS: you're outmaneuvering and outwitting the enemy, striking them and generally suffering little to know retribution (at first anyway). But, there's always the chance that you're forced to flee your little spot, and there's excitement to be had there as well as you run for your digital life from dudes with their own serving of heavy firepower/artillery/jets/whatever.

A hunting sim doesn't have you snipe a deer, then watch as the rest of his buddies go prone in the grass, followed a flight of bears in A-10s strafing your position two minutes later.

I'd play that tho

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

has anyone ever made a sniping Sims flash game

Uhhh no thank you

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

bloodychill posted:

It's easy to recommend. It's fun, it's cheap, and you can playthrough in like 6-10 hours.
It actually can be deceptively long, if I remember correctly. I think I wound up putting in around 30 hours when all was said and done after clearing all of the dungeon floors (which I think requires recruiting everyone?) and paying off my debt.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Dinosaurs?

hitler's other nut

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOgvdbl314

i'm not mad or anything because I only spent two hours making it but it's still a bummer to get such a low payout

LOL this is great, thank you for this

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nate RFB posted:

It actually can be deceptively long, if I remember correctly. I think I wound up putting in around 30 hours when all was said and done after clearing all of the dungeon floors (which I think requires recruiting everyone?) and paying off my debt.

If you aim to clear all the dungeons, it looks like it can get pretty long. If you just pay off the debt, it can be as short as 6 hours. I'm just coming up on finishing that. However, there is a newgame+ and an endless/survival mode apparently where the debt is never paid off.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Palpek posted:

They should make a sniper game that takes camping in multiplayer games and expands upon it, I bet it would sell.

one of the multiplayer modes in sniper elite 4 is exactly that

I havent played the previous ones but i'm on the second level in 4 and its pretty good, definitely stands out from how sniping is done in other fps games you can take your time and plan everything out

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

What is that person doing now?

He spent a few years at Square-Enix and helped develop the engine XV ran on, then he left them a few years ago and I don't think he's publicly announced what he's doing now since then.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wonder whatever happened to 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

bloodychill posted:

If you aim to clear all the dungeons, it looks like it can get pretty long. If you just pay off the debt, it can be as short as 6 hours. I'm just coming up on finishing that. However, there is a newgame+ and an endless/survival mode apparently where the debt is never paid off.
There's definitely quite a bit of plot/story you get when you go through the dungeons, I don't think I would count paying off the debt as completing it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thank you thread for informing me of the Furi DLC. I'll get to it in 2018 2019.

Almost killed a Lynel and then it got me with one hit left.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

A strong spear type weapon and the Gerudo beast power make pretty light work of Lynels.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Thank you thread for informing me of the Furi DLC. I'll get to it in 2018 2019.

Almost killed a Lynel and then it got me with one hit left.

I thought people were exaggerating when they talked about how hard Lynels are, but nope, they're hard as hell. That said they get really easy if you shoot them in the face--it always stuns them for long enough to get in a full combo or two. If you can't aim fast enough (because I sure can't) a triple-shot bow helps, or using the updrafts from their fire breath to do a mid-air time-stop shot.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know they weren't the greatest games in the world by any means, but imo it's kind of a shame how xenosaga never got to finish what it set out to do and instead, due to the mismanagement or whatever, they ended up having to wrap up early 3 games in without even getting to do a lot of the other stuff they wanted to do with that series.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
That Rain World game coming out for ps4 and pc on the 28th looks like something I would enjoy. I almost winced when I saw "procedural" in the description but it said procedural animations which just left me confused.

Any indications if it'll be good, bad, something in between, or extreme?

I think it's a metroidvania but the description is pretty vague about gameplay

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I know they weren't the greatest games in the world by any means, but imo it's kind of a shame how xenosaga never got to finish what it set out to do and instead, due to the mismanagement or whatever, they ended up having to wrap up early 3 games in without even getting to do a lot of the other stuff they wanted to do with that series.

Xenosaga is the exact kind of anime nonsense that I enjoy so I agree. I loved those games in college and I really wish they could've done the whole series they planned.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Harrow posted:

I thought people were exaggerating when they talked about how hard Lynels are, but nope, they're hard as hell. That said they get really easy if you shoot them in the face--it always stuns them for long enough to get in a full combo or two. If you can't aim fast enough (because I sure can't) a triple-shot bow helps, or using the updrafts from their fire breath to do a mid-air time-stop shot.

Or Stasis.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the witch time trigger window is pretty forgiving too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

raditts posted:

Or Stasis.

Also that. I find the arrow-to-the-face method much more fun though and it doesn't have a cooldown

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Xenosaga is the exact kind of anime nonsense that I enjoy so I agree. I loved those games in college and I really wish they could've done the whole series they planned.

Yeah. I haven't played it, but xenoblade chronicles x seemed to at least crib a *tiny* bit as far as "giant space ship lands on alien planet, time to figure out wtf we do" but that's not exactly much.

I know the original idea was that xenosaga was going to be 6 games, with every 2 games being their own arc in their own era starring their own set cast and then the overarcing plot by the final game, and the Shion/KOS-MOS stuff would have only been the first 2 games, but they ended up having to cut a bunch of content from the first game and end it early, put that content into the second game, then the second game was kinda of a mess of bleh and they booted the director off in order to quickly and messily tidy up as much as they could for the third.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

I fuckin' forgot I unlocked upgraded Stasis powers and could have timestopped him, but it didn't help that the one dragon I don't have a scale from just casually floated in and started dropping flames everywhere.

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm glad they were forced to wrap up because III is the best game in that series and it's because it's moving at a pace faster than glacial and actually had a combat system that wasn't different just for the sake of it.

Plus you basically get to fight Seibzehn and Weltall and that's cool as poo poo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I fuckin' forgot I unlocked upgraded Stasis powers and could have timestopped him, but it didn't help that the one dragon I don't have a scale from just casually floated in and started dropping flames everywhere.

did you whiff on the white maned lynel by the skeleton

that's rough

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xenosaga 2 had some of the worst combat sections I've ever played in a JRPG, I heard they fixed it in 3 but it was too late by then. Also it never came out here.

Actually thinking about it Xeno 2 was the point I realised that JRPG's weren't automatically good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah. I haven't played it, but xenoblade chronicles x seemed to at least crib a *tiny* bit as far as "giant space ship lands on alien planet, time to figure out wtf we do" but that's not exactly much.

I know the original idea was that xenosaga was going to be 6 games, with every 2 games being their own arc in their own era starring their own set cast and then the overarcing plot by the final game, and the Shion/KOS-MOS stuff would have only been the first 2 games, but they ended up having to cut a bunch of content from the first game and end it early, put that content into the second game, then the second game was kinda of a mess of bleh and they booted the director off in order to quickly and messily tidy up as much as they could for the third.

Yeah, the second game was absolutely a mess. I did like how it ended up focusing on Junior and Albedo, both of whom I enjoyed a lot back then, but everything else about it was totally baffling. The third game was great, though, and it made me really sad we weren't going to get another one.

I also remember being confused that they got Yuki Kajiura to do the cutscene music in Episode 2 but not the gameplay/battle music, which was all really generic and boring. Her soundtrack for Episode 3 ended up being awesome, though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Xeno 2 was the last time I preordered a game.

Unrelated, but how bad is the weapon durability thing in the new Zelda? I heard that some people are really mad about it so I'm wondering how bad it actually is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Xenosaga 2 was a super bummer, as someone who had been so hyped for the first game (and convinced myself a long while that it was a lot better than it was). The third game is a solid B/B+ experience though. Whether that's enough for anyone to give it a try I don't really know, but at the least you can read summaries of at least the second game at the start of 3 so you can skip that one no matter what.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's mostly fine because BotW constantly throws new weapons at you, but still kind of eh because I hate that mechanic even so and I don't think it really adds anything to the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the second game was absolutely a mess. I did like how it ended up focusing on Junior and Albedo, both of whom I enjoyed a lot back then, but everything else about it was totally baffling. The third game was great, though, and it made me really sad we weren't going to get another one.

Man, the combat was a mess in 2, the dual-techs were worthless, I remember the seasons dungeon thing being a huge pain in the rear end, battles took way too long, there was a point where I was stuck with a bunch of the upgrade point poo poo on KOS-MOS and no way to spend them because I couldn't go do whatever I needed to do to unlock more spending options (or however it worked, my mind is fuzzy on the details), and then to cap it all off, Shion was just a massive jackass the entire loving game. Like, goddamn.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Unrelated, but how bad is the weapon durability thing in the new Zelda? I heard that some people are really mad about it so I'm wondering how bad it actually is.

I can only really give my personal take on it:

Weapons are cartoonishly fragile in the early game and I think it's a bad introduction to it. I found it really frustrating at first. Eventually, though, I started to think of weapons less as RPG equipment and more like resources or disposable tools, and then it started to make more sense. Like if you think of weapons the same way you think of guns in Uncharted or Halo, where you ditch a gun for another if enemies aren't dropping the right kind of ammo, it starts to make more sense.

I totally understand people hating it, but I'm cool with it. It helps that it means they're finally delivering on that thing from Wind Waker where you could steal enemy weapons and use them yourself.

I also think it's better that you can't repair them. I think having more durable, repairable weapons would just make it into a chore, rather than just being a (pretty forgiving, especially in the late game) resource management thing. I'm glad I don't have to run back to town to repair weapons and can instead just throw broken poo poo away and pick up something new guilt-free. Also by mid-game you're going to be finding so many good weapons that you end up leaving a bunch behind because you're already carrying 15 good weapons.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

FirstAidKite posted:

poo poo is going to break and the first couple of weapons (sticks, rusted swords, etc) maybe last a enemy or two. The flip side is that when the current weapon is about to break throw it at the current monster for extra damage and then grab HIS weapon. This includes skeleton arms. For the first couple of hours my best weapon was a never ending supply of constantly twitching skeleton arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

A complete non-issue. You get so much equipment from every encounter that I actively have to use my good stuff or else it sits in my inventory forever. And the little Korok puzzles are how you upgrade how much equipment you can carry and there are 900 of those puzzles so they're literally everywhere.

• Locked thread