Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

Don't waste your time with this AAA (the A stands for rear end three times) garbage

But there's more games on that list than Nier :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snak posted:

There is no mission to the Andromeda Galaxy. It's all fake. You are cast as the captain in a secret project to fake a mission. Hilarity ensues.

This was literally the plot of a miniseries on Syfy a couple of years ago (except the captain didn't know either).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Binding of Isaac

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I give this Horizon zero stars :chord:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The 2DS is 100% compatible, all you miss out on is the 3D effect.

I'm never a fan of buying a console for one game, but $100 is pretty good and that's the game that's been most commonly cited as the GOAT for almost two decades so it's probably worth it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Is thumper good without VR

Yeah it's still a good rhythm game, just better with VR

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A while ago Eurogamer switched to giving out Essential/Recommended/Avoid and just the review text if the game didn't merit any of those.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This game is no fun at all, but it does have really good sound. Solid buy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Couldn't you just watch any John Woo movie?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 3, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
According to reviews there is effectively zero gear gating (outside the brief intro area) and everything including the final boss is in theory beatable with no further unlocks once you reach the full world. Activity rewards make this easier or less dependent on luck or enable alternate solutions but you can always power through with the basics.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best moment in the GB video is when they get chased around by a skeleton while a laser turret is also shooting at them and eventually, after five minutes of frantic juking around, get the turret to blow up the skeleton.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the "little things in games" thread is going to be nothing but Zelda for like three weeks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Serf posted:

Didn't Bungie claim that Destiny 2 was still gonna drop in 2017? That would be something to see.

They just today announced what they describe as the last content drop for D1, and Activision still seems to believe it's on track for fall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I really never understand why games so rarely let you totally remap controls. I think I'd end up putting sprint on R and throw weapon on X or something. Holding down R to run while I turn the camera would be a lot easier, and also way easier to sprint jump.

Mostly because it has nonzero QA and engineering costs. Someone has to implement the control changing screen and then verify that no possible combination of controls breaks any part of the game or renders it unbeatable (if, for example, you bind buttons in such a way that two commands the game expects you to issue simultaneously are now mutually exclusive).

Plus, if the designers did their job right the game will be using the best possible layout for its gameplay in the first place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

hey remember like 3 hours ago when i was all overhyping the poo poo out of Horizon?

i had not even gotten to the Proving

i'm trying to moderate my tone here but good loving christ i love this game and i love that Smartass Chloe is the main character

Yeah, I keep spending hours doing side stuff while every advancement of the main story unlocks huge new chunks of the game. I also wandered around looking at stuff before heading in for the Proving, and then wandered around hunting low-level robodinos before heading west. Then I finally go there and holy crap it unlocked 2/3 of the world map there's desert/steppe environments and giant birds flying around and places to stand where you can see for miles and and and

Definitely echo the complaints about the intro though, too much stuff that's totally unlike the main game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You'd think a robot would be less interested in Aloy running around a few dozen yards away than in the hacked predator in its face ripping it to pieces, but welp.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The radio said, "No Shinji, you are the animes".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How tsundere is Aloy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't beaten the game yet but I'm not sure the story would work with a male protagonist, the beats directly relating to the player character seem to be mostly about mothers and matriarchy.

vvvvvv I blame that more on the choice being obscured. You can go into the weeds and pick your gender, eye color, facial tattoos, etc or you can mash the big PLAY NOW button and get stock manshep. If the game insisted you make the choice and wouldn't proceed until you were explicit, the numbers would probably be more balanced.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 6, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was obligated to play manshep because he embodies two Marks (VA and custom face) and my name is also Mark.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not much of a secret now is it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Name your daughter Zelda and tell anyone who asks it's in honor of F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife.

Jay Rust posted:

So is Dishonored 2 any good?

Opinions differ on whether it's slightly better or slightly worse than D1 but it's certainly up on the same level.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Seriously though I would love to be able to give orders to overridden robots. If it's not ridable all it will do is not attack you and kiting them around is hard. Unless there's something that unlocks later.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Franchescanado posted:

I was gifted two games yesterday, I'd be happy to play either, so I need an outside force to pick which one I play

Should I play Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D or Final Fantasy XV?

I've never gone past the Goron section of MM and I haven't played a new FF since X on PS2.

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda so it's almost certainly better than FFXV.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bosses you have to put some work into enabling chipping away at their health bar are OK, bosses whose vulnerability periods are under the game's control and unpredictable are bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Horizon has a basic jump button but much simpler traversal than the average these days. Zelda is most definitely more about exploration and making that exploration a challenge in its own right, Horizon would rather be about combat and the experience of travel.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

The world design is everything in Horizon though. That's probably its single most unique contribution to the formula, the other one being that the combat is pretty good unlike pretty much every other open world game.

That and the robot dinosaurs, which are pretty great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That does seem to be the case. People have found stubs that imply that media support could appear in the future.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who's Colin Moriarty and why should I care what he thinks if that's a typical example?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eurogamer is my main game news site despite not being in euro. Their reviews were always less fawning and they're responsible for one of my all-time favorite pieces of game writing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

The myster is why? Cats lack sweet taste receptors.

It took the cake to destroy it, because like all cats it's a selfish rear end in a top hat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

What's everyone's favorite sidekick in a video game? Mine is Barry from Alan Wake

:negative:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

Since they made remasters of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and Day of the Tentacle, I hope they are able to do a Hit the Road remaster at some point. With original voices of course, since the Telltale VAs just don't match up.

Next up is Full Throttle, should be showing up sometime this year.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

Finally tried out Thumper and :catdrugs: :catdrugs: :catdrugs:

Now imagine it in VR :lsd:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MinibarMatchman posted:

I heard it was some brilliant ending? I hated Limbo, it bored me to loving tears and Inside looked more of the same from the demo

The end sequence is, to say the least, very unlike the rest of the game.

Skipping it was probably a good call since Inside is all about the same formula of physics puzzles plus an atmosphere of quiet, creeping dread (until that ending).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I do like how Horizon has a clear pattern of most of the game being full of mysterious tantalizing hints as a background to whatever sidequest tangent you're on but every mission in the main questline being a guaranteed source for giant lore dumps that spell everything out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The remake player finished first so clearly that one is better

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think you can do Horizon without nav points because points of interest on the map aren't labeled until you visit them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kai Tave posted:

Streaming games seems like you'd run into lag or performance issues especially with more resource-intensive ones, how does it work in practice?

It's just a video stream, it shouldn't lag any more or less than games for older platforms. How much work the console is doing isn't really a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It builds character

• Locked thread