Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Now watch me whip

Now watch me meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't tell how near I am to the end of Horizon, it looks like there's a point of no return coming up but there's been a fake PONR before and a ton of hidden achievements still remaining, plus I keep discovering sidequests in new places.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

It took me about 62 hours to clear Horizon for the first time doing almost everything. I don't know if that includes the 2 hours I spent dying to the Stormbird in Pitchcliff on very hard before I even got to Meridian.

I never found the play clock but that sounds about right. I've been playing solidly since release.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

I liked the goony collector dude who went crazy over "ancient vessels" that were just old broken coffee mugs.

I liked how Aloy suggests that maybe people just drank out of them and he thinks that's ridiculous, they're far too fancy for that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nasgate posted:

Couple pages back, but what is the importance of Citizen Kane? If there's no shorthand for it, if you know of a cinema discusso post that gets it that'd be a cool link. If not Ill ask in cd.

It's the Ocarina of Time of movies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://thecitizenkaneofvideogames.tumblr.com/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
By the end of each of the Arkham games Batman has a noticeable 5 o'clock shadow but that's triggered by progression not time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is this a Suda game

Too Many More Heroes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

Weighalotta
Devil May Fry

Ninja Gainin'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

Is there an easy way to get a bunch of screenshots off of a PS4.

Plug in a USB drive and you can copy them over with the gallery browsing app.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's approximate game completion percentage, i.e. how often do you finish a game you start? (I guess being "finished" with a game is also pretty subjective and often dependant on what kind of game it is, but I dunno, make something up)

Virtually 100%, largely because I tend to stick to one campaign at a time. Especially in this generation with suspend and resume, when I hit New Game on something that something isn't leaving the console until the credits roll.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Regy Rusty posted:

There were two different special Gamecube Zelda discs yeah. One was the collection of Zelda 1, 2, OOT, and MM (and a windwaker demo). The other was Master Quest. I dunno what the conditions were for getting each of them since I just bought the former from some kid on my block so I could finally play all the stuff on it besides OOT.

The former was either a Wind Waker preorder bonus, or getting amazingly lucky and spotting it on a GameStop used rack (:smugdog:)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Someone (rope kid maybe?) once posted in YCS a good rant about how the term RPG is a totally inaccurate label for what you actually do in those games and how we should make up a new label for character evolution games and apply the "role-playing" label to wide-open freeform sandboxes like Hitman. Always kinda regretted not saving it somewhere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Destiny 2 is very likely to get a formal announcement later today, there was a leaked poster with a September 8 release date.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MMF Freeway posted:

Are destiny players excited for a sequel or are they mad that the "10 year plan" didn't work out?

75% of them are excited, 25% are furious that gear is getting left behind.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My car is absolutely an RPG, every time the odometer levels I unlock the next stage of the oil changing minigame and then I have to talk to the inspection vendor for a new anti-cop charm

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Destiny good

The first one is kind of unappealing to buy because you have the base game then I think like 3 or 4 expansions

It's one of those games that starts out clumsily but if it gets its hooks in you'll never put it down. They keep denying it's an MMO but it's very much like them in that respect.

As an RPG it's kinda crap, there is effectively no campaign structure (just a series of missions you play in order and loot collection processes that unfold over days or weeks) and skimpy customization/character building. Some of this is due to the weird hybrid of RPG, competitive FPS, and ritualized MMO repetition and some of it is just bad execution. The expansions greatly improve on this if you decide to stay in for the long haul.

The main thing it has going for it is that the raw shooting is the best console FPS experience around, period. It's the latest evolution of control scheme, feel, and rhythm that Bungie has been working on for 15 years and everything about aiming, shooting, moving, etc is more or less perfect.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh and also there are the raids, which require a big upfront commitment of not only building a character but also marshaling 6 friends or internet randos - no matchmaking - but once you get in them are sort of collective real-time puzzle solving and choreography challenges which no other FPS has anything remotely approaching and make all the rest of the game worthwhile (subjectively, for a lot of people).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Replace his VA with enemy barks from Wolfenstein 3D

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think it's a coincidence that the games that tend to be cited as having the best writing either have awful gameplay (Planescape) or have writing and gameplay largely segregated (MGS).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

MGS is a weird choice because that's a game I'd point to where writing and gameplay are inextricably intertwined.

I picked it mostly because it's the series most famous for endless noninteractive sequences.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Uh, the best thing in that movie is clearly Brad Pitt's Italian accent.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bloodychill posted:

The laziest way, which I haven't seen in a game in years, is letting the dialog all run on each other.

Clearly you didn't walk around while listening to recordings in story missions in Horizon.

:argh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's like 200 hours of gaming there at the very least

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

After playing Wind Waker HD for a while I'm... getting used to non-inverted Y axis? No, no, that's impossible. It can't be!

Stay strong, brother, it'll be over soon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I play every game with Kinect, because I am the controller.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of dead genres with only two members that someone should really get around to aping, Myth

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"worst souls game" != "bad game"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They should make a sci-fi Souls game with robots or something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Full D2 trailer March 30, also Fillion gonna Fillion:

https://twitter.com/DestinyTheGame/status/846798919786913794

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've never fully bought that story about it taking eight hours to move a bush, it's just too crazy and doesn't match other stories and personal experience.

tap my mountain posted:

Destiny could be really good, but nobody knows how to design a fps raid boss correctly because it's still a niche that's in its infancy. They can't just toss in a bunch of WoW boss mechanics because the players have to be able to manually aim at the boss to deal damage.

There's a very good reason why the Gjallerhorn was more or less a requirement

Yeah, that's the other thing- a lot of the game was experimental and experiments don't always work out. They've been gradually learning how to design for the game's structure over the past 2.5 years and they've finally gotten to a pretty good place. Compared to launch, the loot treadmill and menu of activities and variety in general has been advanced light years. Clearing the board and starting over on a better tech foundation, with all that experience, and with the studio reorganized to deliver the steady drip-feed of content, should be something worth looking forward to.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bloodychill posted:

Original Halo was going to be an RTS in the Marathon universe I think. But that was way before WC3 or WoW even came out. Halo MMO came about way later.

Yeah, Halo began as an RTS in the late 90s and slowly became a 3rd person shooter and then an FPS and then a console FPS in 2001. The MMO was a separate project Microsoft had a different studio work on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The war is long

The world is dead

The sidequest dot

I've come to dread

Nier-Automata

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In one MGR boss monologue cutscene you can push the analog stick to tilt the camera a little and see that just out of frame is a guard petting a kitty :3:

As for Automata, I'm only halfway through route B but the robot death cult near the end of route A is the highlight so far.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't play Nier on hard, it makes each hit take like 75% of your health.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Being super spoiler paranoid is bad, spoiling stuff just to be a dick is bad, but claiming that work A spoils work B which was released years later and wasn't even being envisioned contemporaneously with work A is just crazy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lakbay posted:

:negative:

To save my fragile e-go someone else also mentioned that Automata might be better completely blind of previous Yoko Taro works in the Automata thread (which is the advice I took) :colbert:

I don't even necessarily think you're wrong, just that "spoiler" wasn't the right word.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

People didn't used to like Fusion? That's sad

Some people were mad that Fusion is more linear and tells you where to go instead of just turning you loose and relying on the environmental design to constrain you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have just transposed the script for the doom comic and gotten someone to read it out loud over the loading screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

they literally worked "rip and tear" into the opening cutscene my dude that's basically what they did

No other cutscene, that's the problem. The office robot can say the bit about how we're ruining the environment with toxic waste.

• Locked thread