Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nate RFB posted:

Oh if this is the criteria then it's definitely Gerstmann because he hates everything. Pretty sure I even saw him trash Super Metroid on a stream, once.

Poops is saying because Ebert loved movies but hated games, an Ebert-level game critic must love games but hate movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

i went out of my to listen to white orchard while exploring most of zelda and it ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4tYZHNUY8

That "Silver for Monsters" song in Witcher 3 made me turn Music Volume down to near-zero. All the other music is great but that song was so annoying and so common I had to turn it all off.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fridge corn posted:

I don't remember any of the music from witcher 3

This is the I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UENb3lLSQho&t=84s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The music cue when you are about to make your escape is pretty good. Also the game is amazing at dropping in cues when the tension ratchets up

Knowing that the music in Hitman has your back in a kind of Spider-Sense way when you otherwise haven't spotted any trouble is so rad. Countless times my bacon has been saved where I hear the music and go "wait a second..." and check the mini-map or turn on Instinct to see what the danger is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Dang, is that for real? I had his beard shaved off not too long ago and just yesterday I was like "hm, his stubble looks thicker than I remember".

Jay Rust posted:

Why can't Geralt just think these things in his head, people who routinely think out loud are quite irritating

Could have saved some resources on animating his mouth if they just added a bit of hollow reverb to his voice to indicate inner monologue.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm thinking of starting Witcher 3 over and replacing Silver for Monsters with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLzZUL9ZH6Y

Definite improvement.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

New Concept Hole posted:

Now batting: Number 38, The Old One, Center Field

Eh, it's been done.

http://dai.ly/x3mv1gj

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

What's the control scheme I need to use in TW3 so that Geralt doesn't float around like a spaz indoors again?

Alternative. But even then, when you're inside you have to use a light touch. Fine motor control of his walking is not one of the game's strengths.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A friend of mine tried out Super Double Dragon because of a recommendation I made to him and explaining some of the mechanics to him reminds me I was in the middle of a Let's Play back when LP's were first becoming a thing here on SA. Didn't have the software or A/V and computer know-how to make it work ultimately but it was fun (for myself) while it lasted. Nowadays there are lots of videos, which admittedly are probably better if they do a fun 2-player co-op run through. My videos were just of me kicking rear end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mutata posted:

Well let's define "video game writing". Is it dialog? Is it story beats? Is it world building?

It's a sick 1080° while catching huge air off a rad playground quarter-pipe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Naughty Dog games are phenomenal at having conversations which actually sound like human beings having conversations.

One thing that constantly bugs me in voiced videogame conversations is when someone is interrupted by someone else but there is no overlap. There is a clear gap when the first person stops talking as if they anticipated the interruption.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spoderman posted:

That drives me totally bonkers. It's already barely acceptable in a stage play, but when you can edit the sound? And it's all prerecorded???

Yeah it should basically never happen. The interrupted line should have extra, meaningless words tacked on that are intended to be missed by the audience once the emphasis is shifted to the new speaker. It's even worse when subtitles are on because you can see the painful transition coming a mile away and that highlights it more.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

GTA 5 beat em to the punch.

And was usually hilarious because the interruption was something like ramming into a highway median and launching the two of you out of the car. Then when you were back inside a new car they'd be like "so anyway..."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mutata posted:

To be fair, that subtitles thing happens in movies with closed captions too, that's hardly a mark against them. The gaps in general can be laziness but they can also be technical hitches, bugs, framedrops, or background loading or maybe Windows is doing diagnostic poo poo in the background or or or..

Seeing an interruption coming because of subtitles is not a mark against them, no, (unless you make the argument that subtitle words should only appear as spoken). I was saying that the subtitles just give me a heads-up, which makes the awkward sounding pause all the more noticeable.

As for technical errors in games, that's fine if it's every now and then or I notice some kind of performance issue but I'm playing Witcher 3 now and every interruption plays out the same way. It's by design.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

In fact, I'll gladly toxx on it: Call of Duty WWII is going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Titanfall 2 will see no meaningful increase in sales. (With a * that if EA announces Titanfall 2: Championship Edition GoTY package that will probably sell pretty well.) You are not going to see a mass exodus away from Call of Duty because it goes to WW2.

Too vague to be a real Toxx.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

will it make sense if i haven't played the 1811 other cods hahaha

To someone who never plays any of those games it feels like there actually have been that many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

a kitten posted:

Since this is Games: Google maps has a fun new feature for the day.

On mobile, that is.

• Locked thread