Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
In case anyone needed any more reason not to go near floodwater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Has Michaela Cash always been absolute trash during interviews?

Because over the last year or so she's been a complete trainwreck. Is it a case of the pressure getting to her, or just ongoing long-term incompetence?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Dude McAwesome posted:

Has Michaela Cash always been absolute trash

Yes.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

hump day bitches! posted:

All the hubhub about Canberra suburbs arose my curiosity.What's the reputation of Narrabundah or its history.I though it was a living storage for swarthy fellows back in the day (when my father bought his house) and some white racists but I would be helpful for some info.

Narrabundah is kinda the last bastion of public housing in Canberra's Inner South. It was the first suburb in the Inner South to have considerable public housing (nearly 40% from memory when it was first designed), and still has quite a bit. It's gentrified a lot, and continues to be a battleground of Inner South NIMBY's, public housing advocates, and low socio-economic groups.

AMA insane Canberra NIMBYs

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Australia needs to adopt post-war Britain policies of forcing public housing into every suburb. Could probably do without the 20 story slums though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

starkebn posted:

Australia needs to adopt post-war Britain policies of forcing public housing into every suburb. Could probably do without the 20 story slums though.

What is the alternative when you jam a load of jobless people into public housing in an established area?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

What is the alternative when you jam a load of jobless people into public housing in an established area?

Vault Tec bunkers. The lifestyle of the future, today!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

Has Michaela Cash always been absolute trash during interviews?

Because over the last year or so she's been a complete trainwreck. Is it a case of the pressure getting to her, or just ongoing long-term incompetence?

Yeah she's hopeless. Beyond the obvious stupidity of a feelpinion that evaporates when you look at it, it does smack of a media time-waster to divert attention while the government desperately tries to think of something else. Nothing explains the idea that Cash would be the go-to to front the media on it better (apart from the guys wanting to avoid the job). It certainly explains whatever the hell she was trying to say about the Victorian CPA bullshit bill.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a typical Tory "Feelpinion", with no actual basis in fact or figures.

If the statement had any factual basis, they would surely have cited the relevant report or used the actual figures, rather than using vague language like "Many high income households".

Someone said this earlier in the thread but it's probably a fact that 100% of low wage earners that Liberal MPs have a personal connection with live in high income households.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

JBP posted:

Forced government repossession of idle / empty investment properties for public housing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

starkebn posted:

Forced government repossession of idle / empty investment properties for public housing?

:waycool:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Isn't that his only job as US ambassador?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Mr Hockey said the President's hostility to the media, often delivered in late-night or early-morning Twitter bursts, was shared by many Americans. "His war against the media has public support," Mr Hockey said.

While noting the folly of political predictions, Mr Hockey said he suspected the President's recent failure to repeal Barack Obama's healthcare regime - his core election promise - would have "little negative impact" among Republican voters.

"It will be seen as a failure of the system and will reflect poorly on the already poorly-regarded Congress," he said.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4dYWhkSbTU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Lid posted:

Mr Hockey said the President's hostility to the media, often delivered in late-night or early-morning Twitter bursts, was shared by many Americans. "His war against the media has public support," Mr Hockey said.

While noting the folly of political predictions, Mr Hockey said he suspected the President's recent failure to repeal Barack Obama's healthcare regime - his core election promise - would have "little negative impact" among Republican voters.

"It will be seen as a failure of the system and will reflect poorly on the already poorly-regarded Congress," he said.

This is why I'm in favour of career diplomats getting critical postings such as Washington, London, Beijing, Jakarta or the EU.

Politicians will see every engagement through the prism of political expediency. Much weight is given to the ability of politicians to be able to open doors and leverage friendships but this can come back to bite when either Australia or the foreign country changes government. Diplomats understand that diplomacy and foreign relations is the domain of incrementalism - real progress is not made in leaps and bounds, but small concessions and changes.

Granted, my left bias tends to see Beasley as an exception to this, but I recognise that overall we'd be better served by having professionals in these roles.

Ditto APS departments - bring back the permanent secretaries (well, perhaps give them a tenure of 10 years) and remove politics as much as possible.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Was going to post this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Very good

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I can't even make a joke about this. Kissing the arse of our US overlords is literally what that job is all about and well, he's doing it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

"If the public knew what went on in the Party I don't think they'd have anything to do with One Nation"
On Monday night Four Corners reporter Caro Meldrum-Hanna investigates the inner workings of Pauline Hanson's One Nation. She hears from former supporters who have been left disenchanted, and are asking Hanson to "please explain".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/847410538036383746

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/st...e-all-the-times

starkebn
May 18, 2004

is there a moratorium on this poo poo wasting time in parliament?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Suck it up princess. Brandis pretending he has feelings is pretty :laffo:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
There was a great quote from the political cartoons thread.

Duke Igthorn posted:

"All I'm saying is that judging a person by the content of their character is the exact same as judging a person by the color of their skin."

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I want to lay a big slap on Brandis's forehead. Am I racist?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Starshark posted:

I want to lay a big slap on Brandis's forehead. Am I racist?

Is it because he's white and you want to do that to all white people because they all deserve it? Then you're possibly racist.

Is it because he's a colossal dumbshit who is so enamored with his own intelligence in the most internet atheist way possible? Then you're probably not.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Mark Kenny having a big dumb meltdown on the front page about :qq: the senate isn't the house of government, it has no mandate, it's unrepresentative, leave malcom alone:qq:

Try applying the loving slightest bit of rigour to your thought you idiot fuckboy

code:
Upper House				
Party	Vote	Seats	Representation	Misapportionment
LNP	35.2%	30	39.5%		4.3%
ALP	29.8%	26	34.2%		4.4%
GRN	8.7%	9	11.8%		3.1%
PHON	4.3%	4	5.3%		1.0%
NXT	3.3%	3	3.9%		0.6%
LDP	2.2%	1	1.3%		-0.9%
HINCH	1.9%	1	1.3%		-0.6%
FF	1.4%	1	1.3%		-0.1%
JLN	0.5%	1	1.3%		0.8%
Lower House				
LNP	42%	76	50.7%		8.7%
ALP	34.70%	69	46.0%		11.3%
GRN	10.20%	1	0.7%		-9.5%
NXT	1.80%	1	0.7%		-1.1%
IND	11.10%	3	2.0%		-9.1%

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice!

Brandis isn't white, he's a Queenslander. There's a big difference

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/rgcooke/status/847556676207099904

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Those drat Jews and their suppression of holocaust deniers.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Is he referring to an actual thing where Muslim groups publicly endorsed the Greens?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Mark Kenny having a big dumb meltdown on the front page about :qq: the senate isn't the house of government, it has no mandate, it's unrepresentative, leave malcom alone:qq:

Try applying the loving slightest bit of rigour to your thought you idiot fuckboy

code:
Upper House				
LNP	35.2%	30	39.5%		4.3%
ALP	29.8%	26	34.2%		4.4%
GRN	8.7%	9	11.8%		3.1%
PHON	4.3%	4	5.3%		1.0%
NXT	3.3%	3	3.9%		0.6%
LDP	2.2%	1	1.3%		-0.9%
HINCH	1.9%	1	1.3%		-0.6%
FF	1.4%	1	1.3%		-0.1%
JLN	0.5%	1	1.3%		0.8%
Lower House				
LNP	42%	76	50.7%		8.7%
ALP	34.70%	69	46.0%		11.3%
GRN	10.20%	1	0.7%		-9.5%
NXT	1.80%	1	0.7%		-1.1%
IND	11.10%	3	2.0%		-9.1%

What do they expect, a clerk sitting alone in the chamber to rubber stamp everything that comes up from the house? Praise allah that it takes a referendum to change the constitution, otherwise the senate would have been legislated out of existence long ago.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Capt.Whorebags posted:

What do they expect, a clerk sitting alone in the chamber to rubber stamp everything that comes up from the house?

Yes. Born to Rule etc.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mark latham's nice meltdown continues.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

When you barely get a one seat majority in the lower house you obviously have the mandate to just do whatever you loving want

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mark latham's nice meltdown continues.

What's the latest highlight?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

starkebn posted:

When you barely get a one seat majority in the lower house you obviously have the mandate to just do whatever you loving want

Unless of course the Natural Party Of Government is in opposition, then blocking bills in the senate is a useful tool to convince the Bunyip Potentate to sack the government.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Not only is that unreadable it's also illegible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Apart from the usual 'special snowflake liberals can't handle their hurt widdle fee-fees??? :smuggo:, all I can get from that is 'if we can't abuse immigrants why bother letting them in at all?'

A true reflection of the Australian zeitgeist.

• Locked thread