Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/garflyf/status/636503655051464704

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
He really wants to get another Herald Sun front page with rat features, hey?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wait, is the IPA shutting down next year?

That's great news

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
I look forward to the IPA campaigning to overturn the following barriers to free speech in Australia:

- ASIC secrecy provisions relating to investigations
- inadequate whistleblower protections
- censorship by the OFLC of just about everything
- court imposed censorship of certain DNS lookups
- libel laws
- restrictions on plaintiff lawyer advertising

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 31, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What's the name of the rhetorical trick/logical fallacy where you present your opponent's argument as, for example, "pro-18C senators want to restrict your free speech" instead of "pro-18C senators believe 18C protects people from racial hatred"?

I mean beyond "a lie".

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 31, 2017

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Jacqui Lambie??? :confutoot:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I can only assume the shitshow that was the 3 day "debate" on the subject of 18C was ironically enough to convince her that "Hrm yeah gently caress we need this." See also:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/18-c-town?bffbozpol&utm_term=.eeaxQ6g7o#.es6802XzW

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

snoremac posted:

What's the name of the rhetorical trick/logical fallacy where you present your opponent's argument as, for example, "pro-18C senators want to restrict your free speech" instead of "pro-18C senators believe 18C protects people from racial hatred"?

I mean beyond "a lie".

A strawman?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

I can only assume the shitshow that was the 3 day "debate" on the subject of 18C was ironically enough to convince her that "Hrm yeah gently caress we need this." See also:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/18-c-town?bffbozpol&utm_term=.eeaxQ6g7o#.es6802XzW

God they really can't tell the difference between judging someone for the color of their skin and judging them based on their actions or character can they. Like that's the fundamental thing they can't get their head around.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don Dongington posted:

this whole thing is amazing

19. Fellow Queensland senator Barry O'Sullivan wanted to talk about "Negro citizens" in the United States.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

snoremac posted:

I mean beyond "a lie".

Framing? I don't know if it's a logical fallacy, it's just how you win arguments.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

snoremac posted:

I mean beyond "a lie".
It is a logical fallacy and it is a strawman. Misrepresenting your opponent's position is certainly one way to 'win' an argument.

Haven't had one of these for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_GfFq1N-04

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/rpy/status/844338998923354113

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Aesculus posted:

Jacqui Lambie??? :confutoot:

Don Dongington posted:

I can only assume the shitshow that was the 3 day "debate" on the subject of 18C was ironically enough to convince her that "Hrm yeah gently caress we need this."

Unlike some of the other crossbench senators, Lambie actually has compassion for other people and usually seems open to changing her stance on policy. She's been slowly sliding leftwards since PUP - recent sharia law business notwithstanding.

Reading the policies on her website is frustrating, though - so close Jacqui, but not... quite... there!

(maybe a slight bias here - she's one of my senators and her office is down my street a bit)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Elissimpark posted:

Unlike some of the other crossbench senators, Lambie actually has compassion for other people and usually seems open to changing her stance on policy. She's been slowly sliding leftwards since PUP - recent sharia law business notwithstanding.

Reading the policies on her website is frustrating, though - so close Jacqui, but not... quite... there!

(maybe a slight bias here - she's one of my senators and her office is down my street a bit)

No I think that's generally it. She's concerned about Sharia law because to the simple and uneducated and with the way that opponents of Islamic immigration frame it, it's concerning. Those of us with a basic understanding of How Australia's Legal System Works and who bother to look a little deeper at an issue than the front page of whatever rag Murdoch vomits onto the Tasmanian landscape once a week know better, but that's clearly not how she rolls.

Beyond that, she's mostly working on a platform that shows concern for issues that affect normal people - much like left wing representatives try to do. Lo and behold, most of those issues affect the "latte sipping" segments of the population the same way they affect suburban mums and dads (Who knew!), so despite her cognitive biases she's going to find she has far more in common with the Greens than One Nation.

She can't SAY that though, because aforementioned news outlets would tear her apart and call her a fascist.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

She reminds me a lot of Bendigo people.
In that, she doesn't have any exposure to most minorities but does get the value of "helping the little guy" over "fygm".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/davidlipson/status/847688092626468864

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Why is this necessary when power bills are at record lows due to Axing the Tax

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Try again malcolm

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
What a great win for all those businesses struggling by on a $50m turnover

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Why is this necessary when power bills are at record lows due to Axing the Tax

Not to mention all the benefits privatisation has created!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

:discourse:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
God Xenophon is an easy lay.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

After the power bills have doubled I'm sure a one off $75 payment will go a long way.

This is like still thinking a loaf of bread costs a dollar because they have hired help take care of those things for them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So is this related to the energy supplement (carbon tax compensation to low income earners) they keep trying to get rid of?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/847687947205844992
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/847692921746751488
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/847695520017530881
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/847694997881102336

:smithicide:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
But boy just you wait to see those returns! :rip:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How do we know these old people won't just spend the money on dry sherry? Probably better to link the payment to an 'energy' card.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/murpharoo/status/847699723083370496

Ahahahah gently caress Cormann and gently caress Xenophon

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

DancingShade posted:

After the power bills have doubled I'm sure a one off $75 payment will go a long way.

This is like still thinking a loaf of bread costs a dollar because they have hired help take care of those things for them.

You can get a loaf of bread for $0.85 at Coles :colbert:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Renew Economy posted:

The federal Coalition government has announced that it will provide $110 million in concessional loans to a solar tower and molten salt storage project in Port Augusta, as part of last minute negotiations with the Nick Xenophon Party to pass major tax cuts.

The commitment was announced by finance minister Mathias Cormann as part of a deal with the NXT to approve tax cuts for businesses with revenue of less than $50 million.

Senator Cormann says the Coalition will provide a confessional loan of $110 million in 3 per cent interest rate to an unspecified solar thermal project. He said the government will call for formal proposals via the Australian Renewable Energy Agency and the Clean Energy Finance Corp.

The front runner for the deal is the 110MW solar tower and molten salt storage project proposed by the US company SolarReserve. Other proposals are likely to come from Vast Solar and others.

“We welcome the announcement today from the Senate, and it is critical step in progressing the project – but the key outcome is to obtain a long term power purchase agreement,” said Daniel Thompson, the Australian development manager for SolarReserve.

Earlier, the energy minister Josh Frydenberg announced that the CEFC would invest $80 million in the 113MW Bodangora wind farm near Wellington in NSW.

“This investment in large-scale renewable energy projects such as Bodangora, is part of the Turnbull Government’s technology neutral, non-ideological approach to provide affordable, reliable electricity as we transition to a lower emission future,” he said in a statement.

The $236 million Bodangora wind farm is expected to be operational in the latter half of 2018.

So it seems like at least we get some renewable out of all this but only because it's in SA.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Where's the debt and deficit disaster?

Where's the budget repair?

gently caress me, cutting taxes on our tax minimising lovely companies who increased profits by 20% this year and increased wages by 0%. Better increase those profits some more because then wages and jobs are sure to follow right?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I love compromising my position on long term issues for short term gains. Government run like big business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Getting the government to fund renewables in SA is a pretty funny bit of trolling.

• Locked thread