Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

starkebn posted:

So if he's prone to automatism he can't be a police officer any more right? Right?

You cant be prone to it, im trying to find another case that didnt involve sleepwalking or head injury and coming up empty. Automatism as in "blind rage" does not exist, well it didn't until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

He's like a young Russ Hinze

"Tell me your secrets sugar cane"

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

starkebn posted:

So if he's prone to automatism he can't be a police officer any more right? Right?

I imagine it more hinges on the fact he was just in a rather horrific crash, and so went into automatism mode, which isn't such an unheard of thing. But... that's in terms of people pulling themselves free of a crash. I've never heard of someone going into murder mode. Flight or fight I guess?

Sets a dangerous precedence I would think.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

This is a Photoshop yeah

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So I hear Joyce really wowed 'em on The Project.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Starshark posted:

It was a train wreck and he left looking like a petulant child

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Starshark posted:

I happened to see it, it was pretty amusing. The weirdest thing about it was that Waleed and Gorgi were actually wrapping up the interview when Barnacle started melting down like a bawling toddler. If he would have just had the self control to shut his mouth for ten seconds, the interview would have just been over and he would have not looked half as dumb :downs:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Lid posted:

Just so everyone know automatism defences NEVER work and never get run for this reason. That this worked at all is insanely rare and a huge what the actual gently caress. This is most likely criminal victim therefore judge didnt care.

Edit: its usually used in cases of sleepwalkers who assault or kill while sleeping.

Yeah wow hey, I'd be interest to know about what the psychologist actually said. I wouldn't think that the psychologist would even be allowed to comment about the events.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/PPantsdown/status/837970755405041664

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Konomex posted:

I imagine it more hinges on the fact he was just in a rather horrific crash, and so went into automatism mode, which isn't such an unheard of thing. But... that's in terms of people pulling themselves free of a crash. I've never heard of someone going into murder mode. Flight or fight I guess?

Sets a dangerous precedence I would think.

I'm going to say someone who loses any semblance of self control or restraint when involved in high stress situations is not in fact suitable to being a police officer

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/838006229687382016

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Good.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xIhnTei-cQ&t=180s
Pertinent part is only 30s long but you can watch further, inc Davids McGhan.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Pauline doubling down on Putin

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

She's also come out in favour of penalty rate cuts as she's an experienced former fish and chip shop owner and knows what businesses need.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

“My comments were I respect the man. He is very patriotic towards his country, the people love him, he is doing so well for the country. So many Australians here want that leadership here in Australia.”

Pretty accurate.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Two out of five ain't bad

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
These seem relevant

https://twitter.com/TimWattsMP/status/838156693343105024

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Looks like I wasn't the only one to spot the similarities:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/fascism/8290008

quote:

Fascism Sunday 5 March 2017 12:05PM

The term 'fascist' features in much of the current commentary on political events in Europe and the United States.

Where did the term come from and what does it mean?

Just how useful is the concept in understanding what is happening in the world today?

A pretty interesting listen if you have half an hour which ends by positing that just noting it and reporting it makes you part of an updated Godwin law. What really should be asked is how does any insight or understanding help to protect democracy from the current threat. In this context it isn't hard to see why PHON would be supporting Putin, Trump and any other ruthless dictator. Next it will be 'Kim Jong-un, he's just a bit of a naughty boy really'.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Godwin himself stated that Godwin's Law doesn't apply if you're talking about actual fascists.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Deadly Hume posted:

Godwin himself stated that Godwin's Law doesn't apply if you're talking about actual fascists.
I know this, but if calling actual fascists fascist has lost all sting then despite Godwin's well meaning exclusion, poo poo is still as written. Listen to the podcast they might explain it better than I did. The point broadly is that calling Trump (et al) fascists doesn't actually go anywhere worthwhile. I'm not sure I 100% agree with that but it is a view worth considering.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I think the main reason why Hitler's legacy lasted so long was because what he did was directly lived by so many people who shared their stories pretty much straight away both during and after WW2. Having the last generation who lived through it quickly dying off means we have nobody around who actually remember what it was like personally, so we have to rely on much more tenuous stories from film and books.

Its much easier for the modern fascist to dismiss this sort of namecalling because they didn't have to live through the direct effects of this sort of fascism themselves.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Like that Spencer guy getting an elbow to the face on camera doesn't get the fact that during the 30s in Germany he could get much worse for much less and seemingly at random. His assumption is that merely being on the same side as the oppressors guarantees immunity to future elbows to the face.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah, that does stand to reason, and might be one of the things that comes with normalisation.

"Are you sure he's a fascist? He doesn't seem that bad to me?" Meanwhile the Hispanics/Jews/Muslims in your neighbourhood start walking around in fear of what's going to happen next.

EDIT: This stuff passing out of living memory does has an effect, too, I think. At mum's old work the guy who organised her payroll was postwar migrant from Germany, a lovely old man; I remember reading his wife's memoir of when they were pre-war Germany and remarking that someone in their street had been disappeared for simply having the BBC Overseas Service on their radio. They decided to get the hell out of there when they got the chance.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 5, 2017

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I'm not sure that Fascism really describes PHON. My understanding of fascism was that the individual worked for the ultimate good of the national strength (which was usually defined in a ubermenschen sort of way) happily enough making a buck as well..

I think a majority of PHON supporters want to do whatever they like, including being rascist pricks. Other than that they want the smallest government lossible, or if it's a big government, it spends its time persecuting those other people.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I'm not sure that Fascism really describes PHON. My understanding of fascism was that the individual worked for the ultimate good of the national strength (which was usually defined in a ubermenschen sort of way) happily enough making a buck as well..

I think a majority of PHON supporters want to do whatever they like, including being rascist pricks. Other than that they want the smallest government lossible, or if it's a big government, it spends its time persecuting those other people.

or OR... their material concerns have become so bad that they are willing to place them over and above all other considerations when determining who best to lead the country, and whichever stupid numpty promises to address their material concerns is the one for them

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The Deadly Hume posted:

EDIT: This stuff passing out of living memory does has an effect, too, I think. At mum's old work the guy who organised her payroll was postwar migrant from Germany, a lovely old man; I remember reading his wife's memoir of when they were pre-war Germany and remarking that someone in their street had been disappeared for simply having the BBC Overseas Service on their radio. They decided to get the hell out of there when they got the chance.

Yeah, this is pretty much why my grandfather's family noped out of Germany in the mid 30s. They were Jewish and saw enough of the things that were happening to realise getting out of dodge was the smart plan. Some of the extended family didn't have the same foresight and got to spend the rest of the war enjoying the Nazi's hospitality, to varying results.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Whilst not advocating for assassination. At what point does it become a viable idea?

If you had the chance to murder the Nazi party before they came to power, would you do it? If someone advocates for Nazi ideas, is it your morale duty to explode them?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Konomex posted:

Whilst not advocating for assassination. At what point does it become a viable idea?

If you had the chance to murder the Nazi party before they came to power, would you do it? If someone advocates for Nazi ideas, is it your morale duty to explode them?

I claim that if somebody could magically go back in time and stop the Nazis from gaining power the world as we know it now would be unrecognisable for how differently the path each person and nation would have taken in the aftermath. This isn't necessarily a good thing either.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Just look at what people are doing now, it's what people would do as Nazis 2.0: The Reichening kicks off. So for me it's shitposting and crying myself to sleep.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Tough call, that 2% for petty theft could come with a torture and death sentence in 1933.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
More importantly, is performing a perfunctory act with no consequences beyond making somebody unhappy unethical, even if that person is Literally Hitler

i say no but it's a very dumb question imo

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ungulateman posted:

More importantly, is performing a perfunctory act with no consequences beyond making somebody unhappy unethical, even if that person is Literally Hitler

i say no but it's a very dumb question imo

Depends on your perspective I guess. Analysing it from a materialist perspective (and therefore utilitarian, which is the only way to evaluate these things, fight me) the choice can be made simply by balancing the chance of being caught against the material gain to yourself relative to your existing asset base. It's well known that Hitler was independently wealthy and while it would ruin his night, he would not be materially affected beyond maybe not being able to pay for dinner. He won't starve, and more to the point he might receive sympathy from Eva Braun and maybe a hug. Meanwhile assuming that 2% worked in your favour and the wallet contained enough money the risk might well have been worth it.

Of course if you're some idiot who values rules and laws over and above your own security (inc. food security) then go ahead and leave it in his pocket.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Or, if you feel compelled to evaluate it from a Freudian perspective, the wallet represents repressed desire for your mother and the act of taking it is a way to break the taboo's influence on your mind. The aftereffects of this may well be too uncomfortable to bear.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

You are ethically obligated to steal the wallet due to the deontological mantra of 'Always Be Nasty to a Nazi'.

Even the most petty and petulant resistance is good and should be valued.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 5, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Les Affaires posted:

Or, if you feel compelled to evaluate it from a Freudian perspective, the wallet represents repressed desire for your mother and the act of taking it is a way to break the taboo's influence on your mind. The aftereffects of this may well be too uncomfortable to bear.

This isn't the Freudian perspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

trap sprung :getin:

• Locked thread