Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Man being sued by 4 channel 7 employee's claims that Channel 7's CEO is running it, instead of being a private totally not funded by Channel 7 case:

quote:

Q. Mr Keegan, you have four clients in this matter?
A. I do, yes.

Q. They’re all paying you individually?
A. I don’t know whether they’re paying individually or all together for the one proceedings.

Q. So you don’t know?
A. That’s correct.

Later in proceedings Richard Keegan changed his tune. Did he commit perjury?

Q. You don’t know who is paying?
A. No, I don’t.

Q. So is it highly likely Seven West Media, is that right?
A. Yes.

Q. It is highly likely?
A. Yes.

Q. So Seven West Media are paying for their legal fees?
A. Yes.

In other news JB Hi-Fi may replace cleaners with robots. The news being they already HAVE replaced cleaners, but it's still on a trial basis.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes

quote:

#Essential Poll Federal 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 47 (0) ALP 53 (0) #auspol

#Essential Poll Preferred ALP Leader (ALP Voters): Shorten 46 (+9) Plibersek 13 (-3) Albanese 10 (-4) Bowen 3 (+1) #auspol

#Essential Poll Preferred LIB Leader (L/NP Voters): Turnbull 36 (0) Bishop 19 (-1) Abbott 15 (-4) Dutton 2 #auspol

Turnbull would be toast but there's no replacement for him so he keeps his job.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Good news everyone. AEMO predicting power cuts and gas shortages next year

quote:

Mr Cleary said hard choices could confront Australia unless there was new gas production.

"If we use the gas for electricity, the potential for shortfalls are in the domestic and the industrial [supplies]. If we use it in industrial and domestic, the shortfalls will be in electricity," he said.

"No longer can we look at gas and electricity independently. They are now totally integrated to the point where we need national planning to understand how we're going to operate these fuels going forward, given that any decision we make in gas or electricity will have an impact on the other."

AEMO said it expected "continued upward pressure on pricing", which could "threaten the financial viability of some commercial and industrial customers".

The report said new gas supplies might help with reliability and security in energy markets, but would be unlikely to lead to much price relief due to rising gas production costs.
AEMO said it hoped policy makers and energy markets would respond to the findings of its assessment.

"We can either redirect some of the LNG from the international markets into the domestic market, assuming that the price allows that to happen, we can increase production from the existing fields, we can explore and develop new fields or we can have investment in the pipelines," Mr Cleary said.

"So there is time and there [are] options within the market to react and that's what we want the report to do."

I have full confidence in the LNP and the Turnball regime that they will do nothing and none of the gas being sold overseas will not be directed for internally - that would hurt *profits* for overseas companies and we can't have that.

This is actually pretty scary. Any one of us could either have no power, or no gas, or both.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Konomex posted:

As a Western Australian this confuses me, we just brought a butt load of new LPG sources online. I know Barnett likes to keep encouraging other States to do the same, but can't you guys buy it from us?

It's being sold overseas. Unlike every other country on the planet, Australia does not reserve any of it's own natural gas for itself. Barnett wants to encourage other States to sell their gas overseas.

So, Australia is going to end up *importing* it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Debate & Discussion › Auspol March - What are the Federal Implications?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Where can I put money there is going to be gas shortages in Australia? ACCC is screaming about it tomorrow.

quote:

Research by economic forecasters BIS Shrapnel and commissioned by the AWU suggests that without affordable and reliable gas, one in five heavy manufacturers will close by 2021, with the loss of 235,000 jobs.

Currently, there are seven, but soon to be 10, export plants liquefying gas and shipping it offshore, and recent research has found the country needs to lift its total energy output by 50 per cent just to meet its expected exports in 2020.

"Ordinarily, higher gas prices would provide producers an incentive to increase investment in exploration and development activities," Mr Sims said.

"However, the east coast gas market was caught in a 'clash of cycles', with historically high domestic gas prices coinciding with falling international oil prices."

The ACCC said LNG gas developers fell into a trap of assuming $100+ oil prices would continue, rather than planning an assumption of the long-run average of prices around $55.

Mr Sims said regulatory uncertainty delayed or stopped development, and that the industry had not expected Victoria to ban all onshore gas exploration and production until 2020. Victoria implemented the policy on environmental and social considerations.

Production forecasts indicated that from the start of the year, meeting expected demand would require the development of new reserves, the ACCC said.

So The Market failed. I have full confidence in President Trumball's regime will do nothing to hurt company profits - ScoMo was saying TODAY that you need to increase company profits above paying higher wages. Profits always comes first, said ScoMo.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is the canary dying in the coal mine from Black Lung disease - Hundreds of new home owners have been left in limbo after the collapse of a land developer in Melbourne's outer north-west.

Now it sounds like the developer is getting out with the money before they have to build all the useless stuff- schools, infrastructure, parks etc. But it's the second one to do that in 2 months. And the articles trying to get Superannuation to pay for housing are increasing in numbers and tone - indicating the money to increase housing prices is almost tapped out.

However, I've been wrong about the housing price collapse for 5 years now.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
AU banks hit with wet lettuce. The banks then gave money to charity, which I guess advises people to save money in the same bank who paid them?

In no way does this mean our big 4 are corrupt mind you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So the current WA poll says that if the election was held now, 3 ministers would lose their seats. I'd place money on him not being PM before the next election but the odds are too low to make much money (1.5 to 1).

• Locked thread