Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Ten Becquerels posted:

The government wants to have the powers to do the same thing Tudge did with ARE VETERANS info - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-02/government-wants-new-power-to-release-veterans-personal-info/8320268

What the gently caress is going on with all this? Is there an actual endgame here or do they really just want to have something to shut down people thinking about making public criticisms? How can they think this looks like anything besides an insanely unethical mess?

Good time to remind everyone that Andrew Hastie felt that the Labor gov't "didn't have his back" when he was on deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Irony of wealthy middle aged caucasian male about people getting promoted due to their gender.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Bogan King posted:

This is 2014 but the point still stands.

And that's just the ones they remembered they had!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

The West really isn't much better than the Australian. They're a little less overtly racist but their owner is still the single biggest Liberal donor in the country, and it sure does show.
They both seem to be wildly out of touch with the bulk of the populace and run their own weird little campaigns (eg 18C for the Australian, shark culling for the West Australian)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
sounds like that's something that works in concert with the backfire effect

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
https://chuffed.org/project/centrelink-oci-correspondence-foi

Some bloke did an FOI request for info about his previous FOI requests to Human Services/Centrelink.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why would you design an upper house with the number of seats divisible by 2. :cripes:

e:Thinking on it a bit, I suppose it's so you have a slight bias towards maintaining status quo.
If the WA upper chamber is like most of our other parliaments' chambers, the speaker/president is selected from that even number so you end up with an odd number of reps voting

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

bowmore posted:

Was this from Coles? I'm sure the 400 million plus profit could handle the extra hours
what are the odds the store/shift manager has strong incentives to pull a stunt like this?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
It wasn't quite so bad before the housing market went mental.

If the tories wanted to do something to help first home buyers, ditching the FHSA scheme wasn't a great idea.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

quote:

WA sources have told The New Daily that a spike in voter enrolments in Pilbara’s declining electoral roll immediately after Mr Grylls announced the iron ore royalty plan last August caught people’s attention.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2017/03/19/big-money-miners-got-wa-politician-booted-out-claim/

Seems like now would be a good time for the new WA Government to do something to raise the 5 cents a tonne royalty that the big oversears miners pay. The Nats' proposed levy would've raised an extra 1.5-1.8 billion for WA per annum.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

Having someone assure you that the sw4636784-nb is definitively only for the commodore made before July 2012 doesn't hurt either
Amazon feedback does this for the things I buy (usually electronics/computer related).

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Crazy idea time: politicians' investment properties should be treated the same as shares, ie they can't be actively investing in them while in partliament.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Anidav posted:

Airtasker sure is popular suddenly. Must be worrying for tradesmen and sole traders with a brand

I guess they weren't agile enough
Airtasker is weird. Most of the payments on offer are either way too low ("install hard wired electrical appliance for $40") or way to high ("$100 for 15 minutes' work changing the aspect ratio on some video")

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

goodog posted:

The LNP will be saved by the next generation of savvy young politicos.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/yo...e023c793422e601

"I'm political, which means I'm completely cynical about joining a party whose policies I disagree with in order to further my career"

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Night Shade posted:

Actual answer for the curious: With the transmission loss, the load still connected to the grid caused the frequency to drop, because when the generators weren't able to keep up the bigass spinning magnets in them slowed down. Electric generators are also electric motors, and two connected generators running at different frequencies or phases will convert each other into motors while they're out of step and put mechanical force back through the turbine. Turbines aren't designed to be driven backwards, it has a tendency to break things, and so the generators disconnect from the grid instead.

Further to all that, it seems like the report says that the SA wind generators could have ridden through the observed voltage disturbances, but it was just a software setting (since changed) that caused them to disconnect in September. Apparently AEMO didn't know about those settings, and they also didn't know the ride through settings that other generators had been running.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Isn't this like asking the fox to evaluate why henhouse security failed?

yeah the AEMO's reports tends not to be very critical of the AEMO.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

KennyTheFish posted:

Who is responsible for the settings for disconnecting the wind farms based? was it a from AEMO for bringing the farms into service, or a manufacturer recommendation?
Probably whoever set them up in the first place. The AEMO report also mentions that they didn't know the ride through settings for any of the generators on the network. It makes sense for the grid regulator to specify ride through settings, and they've already moved to fix that.

(The report is 271 pages long, and I haven't read all of it.)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
I look forward to the IPA campaigning to overturn the following barriers to free speech in Australia:

- ASIC secrecy provisions relating to investigations
- inadequate whistleblower protections
- censorship by the OFLC of just about everything
- court imposed censorship of certain DNS lookups
- libel laws
- restrictions on plaintiff lawyer advertising

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

No, there are a bunch of different taxes like payroll tax, gst, payg and others.
GST and PAYG are taxes the business collects for the government, not taxes the business pays itself.

• Locked thread