Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Roberts is pretty clearly having a different conversation in his head than the one happening in the chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Bogan King posted:

Roberts just called the Guardian 'fake news' in estimates so there is that.

Is this the first time in linguistics history when we can determine the precise time and date a phrase completely inverted in meaning? Like, it didn't exist until around June last year, then flipped meaning in late-October then stopped having any meaning by December.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

BBJoey posted:

yeah it's cool that fake news had a meaning once but smooth brained dullards have turned it into 'thing i dislike'

Same thing happened with "troll" when people over 40 started using it on the internet.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

For those who are interested, I just got an email from the guys behind Saturday Paper. They are following the lead of Crikey by offering a weekday daily "briefing" in the morning that is basically a neat summary of news from Australia and around the world.

I don't think it's a paid-for thing, whereas I think Crikey's is. Crikey's version comes out around 8am EST but I think you have to be a subscriber to get it.

Both of these outlets do high quality investigative work, and Saturday Paper has been great from the beginning when it started a few years ago. I have zero problem advocating for either of them and if you can spare the sub fee do it.

I signed up and got the first one. It's a nice little digest of interesting news articles from around the world.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Schlesische posted:

Read NedPol, it's not as rosy as it seems. Seriously looks like they're going to give Geert Wilders' party the most seats (although he probably won't be in the governing coalition).

Trudeau is scary popular, and while he's a "meh" leader at best, he's not going anywhere for a while. His leader preferred is 48%, which doesn't sound good until you realise it's in 3pp.

Switzerland is super expensive.

I can't really find anything about the rest unless you dislike the cold. (Danes have a strong reputation for Racism, Swedes have a reputation for being arrogant snobs and Finns have a reputation for being really quiet and insular).

Danes are quite racist in Jutland, but not so bad in Copenhagen. Same with Sweden and Norway. It's more of a cosmopolitan/regional issue than a whole cultural one. Just move to wonderful Copenhagen and vote Enhedslisten.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Pauline Hanson 'just a Liberal puppet', One Nation candidate says

Good read all around but...

quote:

At a pre-polling booth for the seat of Wanneroo and other key northern suburbs electorates, Colin Barnett still appeared to have significant support after more than eight years in office.

Despite the state's record debt, Chris and Jeannie Clarke said they would be voting to give Mr Barnett a third term.

"He's run up a bit of a bill," Mr Clarke said.

"But we ran up a bill about 40 years ago when we bought a house and it is paid off now.

"Everybody forgets what the Barnett Government has done in the last couple of terms.

"He's built that magnificent stadium we've got.

"People have got to look at the big picture, not just what is happening today."

Liberal voters

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

That attitude is actually correct, it's just the specifics they apply it to (Colin Barnett and a footy ground) are dumb

I agree that its the right attitude, but I'm almost 100% positive if that was a Labor Government and public housing and not Liberals and football stadium, their attitude to DEBBBBBBTTTTT would be very different.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

The guestlist to that funeral is incredible. It's like a who's who list of gigantic fuckheads.

I want to know why Fidler was there. Is Fidler problematic now?

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Brisgoons, because I'm a self-congratulatory fuckwit who needs constant emotional maintenance and I'm totally shameless in the pursuit of validation, I'm gonna spruik the monthly free panel show I run each month at the New Globe Theatre in the Valley.

Pitch Drop is a monthly panel discussion and Q&A on hot button social issue. We invite a panel of industry professionals, academics, community organisers and radical activists to try to solve massive entrenched problem in under two hours or your money back. Promise.

Since January, we've "fixed" democracy in Queensland, made Queenslander love art again (or the first time), and eliminated racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism and ageism from political leadership (results may vary).

In April, we'll be fixing housing. You should come. (please come - I feel sorry for our awesome guests talking to a very empty theatre - did I mention it was free and that there's a bar?)

And because I'm a huge masochist in a job with a way too lenient boss, I might be opening a spin-off show in my new home in Canberra.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

funny that the thing the greenies and hippies have been warning about for yonks has finally happened and we're running out of timber

I remember a few years back there was some forestry hack from Tassie on the radio having a whinge because there was some type of native timber that he couldn't get a hold of and he was for some reason having a bit of difficulty explaining how his apparently sustainable industry could run out of something... if it was sustainable you wouldn't actually run out you fuckwit

That's the problem when your "renewable" industry takes decades to renew and half an hour to harvest.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Honestly if they move anywhere it should be Woden since it's basically a bloody ghost town

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Whitlam posted:

From a couple of pages ago but the theory I've heard is that it's basically a PR thing to distract from the money/paying staff issues, and try to get "da yoof" onside.

Apparently it's his kid and their partner who do all the memes, and the genuinely off-kilter stuff is Clive either going through or feigning a breakdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

hump day bitches! posted:

All the hubhub about Canberra suburbs arose my curiosity.What's the reputation of Narrabundah or its history.I though it was a living storage for swarthy fellows back in the day (when my father bought his house) and some white racists but I would be helpful for some info.

Narrabundah is kinda the last bastion of public housing in Canberra's Inner South. It was the first suburb in the Inner South to have considerable public housing (nearly 40% from memory when it was first designed), and still has quite a bit. It's gentrified a lot, and continues to be a battleground of Inner South NIMBY's, public housing advocates, and low socio-economic groups.

AMA insane Canberra NIMBYs

• Locked thread