Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

loving finally

Now let them have cattes and hang pictures on the wall and not be inspected at the whim of the landlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is Fielding Redux with Extra Clownshoes DLC.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Yeah I'm not convinced your opinions have any foundation in Australian political history.

Governments have to lose elections not win them here. They didn't lose enough. The issues have to get as far as a pub test before they're even tested. Also the current government have to have JWH's political ability to manage the news cycle, I'm not convinced your opinion applies to current political history.

Eg: how does this government sell a repeat of Budget 2014?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

Now I remember why I stopped posting in these threads because I wasted too much time posting these stupid braindumps

No, it was a good braindump. Maybe what we have now is neofascism, like neoliberal with more pointless hypernationalism. But in Australia, it's just an identity crisis looking for something to do. Remember, PHON depends on a bunch of old people who dumped themselves in Qld and have a shelf life of around a decade, then they get replaced. It's circular, it's going nowhere. PHON have to get off the pot and win significant Reps seats, and if they never get beyond the Senate, they're as effective as any other minor party. Look at the Greens. All they can ever aspire to then is being a Senate voting bloc, and that's bad enough.

Dutton's a choice because they have no good choices. If the WA election goes badly, he's probably less of a choice but then you start throwing people like Porter at the problem, and that's usually what they do AFTER they lose an election and rebuild. They've got bugger all. Bishop? She ain't going nowhere.

My sense is that their focus groups are giving them a dire message and they're in denial because that means rethinking an agenda they've never questioned.

And all this lovely tinsel dressing is going to be useless if the Budget they have in mind is anything like we think it will be. The question is, can they do nothing for two years? Unless people start seriously crossing floors or voting no confidence, there's nothing to stop this grinding on like the last election only worse.

Serious poo poo has to go down in the Reps to shake any of this up.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Journo makes pathetic attempt to regain moral high ground after doxxing Andie Fox:

quote:

Fox went to the mass media with her story. She decided to make it a matter for public discussion.

Second, I've been asked what public interest is served by raising this matter.

Centrelink has an obligation to distribute benefits in accordance with its governing legislation and regulations. No more. No less.

There is a public interest in assessing its performance and, in doing so, Centrelink and its staff have a right to a fair hearing.

There is a danger in the populist cries that all government agencies are incompetent; all politicians are in it for what they can get; taxpayers' money is always wasted; etc.

To those who say Centrelink and the government should not have responded to Fox's public account of her situation, or that I should have refused to take note of their response, I ask: do you want journalists to dig for the truth? Or do you simply want social media that panders to your prejudice and ignores many sides of an argument?

:qq: wah wah it's her fault anyway she doxxed herself it wasn't me and it's your fault for wanting real journalism :qq:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bogan King posted:

I wonder if it is just the women who are not declaring houses or if people are just white anting them. It's Ley and now Cash who have made the news for this and it seems unlikely that they're the only two.

Oh my god its Julie Bishop isn't it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Jesus, cash is considered a moderate!?

Yeah, she's another politician's daughter, what a coincidence. Here, read her maiden speech, there's some insight.

Also holy gently caress that economics committee Hansard is interesting in many ways, not least Cormann's interruptions to shill government legislation because as you know, wages won't grow without more productivity, so pass his Ten Year Plan already!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And while I'm at it, if you want to be properly creeped out, you can read the Potato's maiden speech, the same day as Sussan Ley's. Of course, he has it on his own site, but I'm not going there.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's just the way they crucify them. It's not natural.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bogan King posted:

How about instead of this we make you work a full 7 day week with a rotating roster and you only get 24 hours notice of when your next shift is.

And NO penalty rates.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just for a break from WA hilarity, here's a good Well May We Say about housing (show note links and download), worth a listen because some of the tricks of the rotten land trade are still being ignored even with a well-meaning Victorian government.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Your Federal Minister for Justice Michael Keenan:

”One Nation are the same as any other party"

I was going to post about that, he's still normalising PHON on election night, completely clueless.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Maybe word got out, keep this regional ffs, feds are bleeding badly as it is.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/SenatorCulleton/status/840515464992235521

:iceburn:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/DylanUrquhart/status/840511209749143552

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

I don't think Andrews is going to survive but I'm also mired in endless pessimism and misery.

That supposes Matthew Guy and his Hun choir has more influence than they actually have. The party machine knows how to spend money but no idea how to direct it effectively and I have no confidence that if Reith replaces Kroger they'll have any more effective leadership.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/jameswstill/status/840887913109966849

nooo Coopers (drinks last pale ale).

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bowmore posted:

Pretty quick to endorse marriage equality when the wallet is about to
take a hit

This. They weren't just being tone-deaf. It's the obliviousness of privilege to not see how just being associated with that ad showed most of us how we are just not represented in any way. Tim Wilson is free to be a hypocrite if he wants to, but we already know he won't listen. Coopers on the other hand, have something to lose.

Starshark posted:

Flat White
My Bill
Daisy Cousens

Hey, speaking of privilege, it's a chick flick fantasy about a racist cartoonist. Classy, Daisy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Did the Spectator take that piece down?

It seems so, everyone's passing on the google cache link. Here's a pastebin of it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'll just leave a paste of a Chris Kenny footnote here

quote:

FOOTNOTE: Let me mention a column in The West Australian by one of their journalists, Ben Harvey. Harvey admonished this newspaper for editorialising in favour of the Barnett government last Friday, suggesting that our editorial opinion ought to be dictated by the accurate Newspoll surveys we publish.

The Australian’s coverage of the WA election was exceptional, with our WA team providing some of the campaign’s best news and analysis. And anyone reading our coverage could have been in no doubt about the expected result. Our front page on Saturday predicted the strong Labor win and the diminished return for One Nation.

It is surprising that Harvey, as a journalist, wouldn’t appreciate that a newspaper’s editorial opinion does not dictate its news coverage; or that it might be based on serious policy views rather than an immature attempt to move in line with opinion poll results.

It is also surprising that a finance reporter (apparently Harvey is financial editor at the West) wouldn’t appreciate the grave risk of WA Labor’s current plan to do virtually nothing to repair the state’s fiscal situation and reduce its debt.

And, finally, the irony is supreme when a columnist devotes his entire piece to the denunciation of another newspaper as irrelevant and obscure. Mate, your hysterical attack defeated your own argument.

Also Daisy has been deleting her tweets about the Spectator article, so she must have had smacksies from Rowan.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/clementine_ford/status/841624035553292290

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Reminder that Daisy Cousens has a Masters in creative writing. Let that one sink in a bit.

Also, sorry to be an erzatz twitter feed but jfc

https://twitter.com/SenatorMRoberts/status/841439459690258432

Melbourne Comedy Festival started early this year?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

Do PHON support nuclear power or are they nimby on it?

They literally do not mention it, even in their Energy policy which is really just Malcolm Roberts regurgitating his brain. Surprise surprise, the media have never asked a question about it, and the only googling results I got was an antinuclear group mentioning PHON.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dear Milky, ever the edgy one :v:

So the tweet that was deleted is on the buzzfeed article:

Not smacksies from Rowan like I thought, but just an ill-judged smugness which is par for the course for Daisy. The thing about Daisy, Milky, if you'd bothered to do any research instead of whatever hazy idea of white-knighting you have instead, is that women were ripping on her first and a lot earlier before the men showed up. She became an instant pundit with access to national television based on nothing more than the tripe she has tossed onto the spectator website. You might understand that gets up the nose of people who've been around a lot longer, and who take a lot more care about what they write than this master of creative writing is apparently capable of. Daisy started out trying to trigger feminists for fun and profit and now she's out of her depth, boo hoo.

For instance, this appraisal of Bill Leak will probably sink under the weight of CousensGate, but that's what a free market gets you.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

She should write mills and boon novels. With this sort of prose she'd be a millionaire.

TBH I think she's tried it and failed. It would explain a lot.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mumbrella finally took on the Coopers controversy:

quote:

Asked whether he anticipated controversy over Coopers’ partnership with the Bible Society, Clarke had replied: “I don’t think it’s risky. It’s a very special friendship we have.”

And at the same launch, Tim Cooper had been asked whether he thought there would be a negative response. He replied: “No, I don’t think so. I think people know we support a number of different causes and they might be surprised to know we support the Bible Society. All of us face choices in life. At some point in time we need to make an important choice in whether we believe in Jesus Christ.”

At the time of posting, Mumbrella had been unable to reach Sujet Sydney for comment.

Interesting comments too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Welcome to the mob!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Because he's a fuckwit who got called out on his transphobia a year or two ago. Obviously it's political correctness gone mad and not his own fault that he was criticised.

Almost as if there was some kind of generational disconnect (the generation before mine, thankfully). Now Humphries and Kelly are officially manbabies, but what the hell Fidler.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/woolkebb/status/842634813563580417

See, the racist cartoonist can't be all bad I look great in this.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DancingShade posted:

This. Checkmate :dukedog:

Perhaps the checkmate will be the release of a book of all the fluffy bunny cartoon drawings Leak did alongside the full-colour completed racist cartoons to "prove" he wasn't a racist and it was just out of context. No explanation of why editors chose the racist cartoons, etc. And then lefties will have to question themselves so muchly that they get bigly sorry and won't be mean to the nice old white guys.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

freebooter posted:

I reckon Turnbull can get away with going to the funeral and praising him because it may piss off the left and appease Sky News and the Australian, but it goes over the heads of 95% of ordinary Australian swing voters who don't know who Leak is and don't care.

Care factor zero, the new egalitarianism. It's certainly an ironic outcome.

Now this is fkn politics.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 17, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dutton would make a perfect fall guy after Turnbull, actually. It's not like they're actually aware how that would put the finishing touches on their doom.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Your organization is broken if you keep doing things like this:

quote:

"He was not up to leading the team in this (election) campaign and as a result we had a landslide loss," Dr Nahan told The Sunday Times.

Breaking a week-long silence, Dr Nahan said there was division in the Liberal party after Mr Barnett refused to hand over the reins last September.

"We needed Colin to make the decision to leave by his own volition, and that did not happen," he said.

It's understood Dr Nahan will run uncontested on Tuesday when the party meets for the first time since the humiliating loss.

The same paralysis as in 2007 with Howard. You'd think that lately they'd be getting better at ditching bad leaders. They needed to be rid of him early and they put it off forever.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Schlesische posted:

Weren't the WALibs hosed from the get go?
Wonderful combination of massive shortfalls in revenue combined with being the party that led to that despite having also presided over what should have been massive windfalls from mining should probably see you experience the landslide every time.

Yeah they're totally to blame for their own predicament. They weren't simply punished for being there when the money wagon waltzed away, they were punished for serially pretending to come up with ideas that would diversify the WA economy that were handouts to mates and were incredibly obvious about it.

But they might have maintained some power even in the upper house if they hadn't been scared of booting out the most visible symbol of their failure. They could have said mea culpa, here's something we can do, give us the chance to implement it but they just went with the flow.

TheMightyHandful posted:

Aren't you better to dump him after when you are going to lose anyway?

They could foresee big losses ahead of time, and there were people eager to take over the job and do it tough, but no, they sat there and waited for the semi to run them over. They were probably never going to win, but they had the option to save something from it, but they couldn't act. That's a party organisation failure, not just an election loss.

The Feds, when this happens, used to put in a gumby like Downer to take the pain. Now they're terrified of what that tells the electorate because they spent 30 years pretending the PM was a president instead of a representative.

This time around the WA party seems to have been more keen to let Barnett take all the blame forgetting that they too have seats to lose...oh dear.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I like the part about how the banks forced investors to stop buying old cars and buy properties, they were PAWNS. This sounds like a tryout for when politicians get burnt by the correction. Gosh wouldn't an inquiry into banks be a good idea then?

edit: Richard Di Natale drops into Australian Politics Live podcast, and is remarkably frank about the state of politics including Greens factionalism. He doesn't have all the answers so don't expect them.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 19, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Some days are good, some days are great. It's a great day today because Elise Chapman the former Councillor in Bendigo just got an almighty slapping in this VCAT decision (pdf). Although technically she doesn't get punished in any way because she's no longer a councillor, it sheds light on the wacky goings on.

The TL;DR is that she had a very questionable twitter argument involving her views on Islam and female genital mutilation while serving as a councillor, and, together with her ongoing battles with the Council on a range of issues, almost certainly breached a code of conduct she didn't even sign, accused the council of trickery and fraud and could say anything she liked if she said her views were her own on a council twitter account.

She got a handful of votes at the following council elections because everyone is sick of her.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

18C has become a self-delusion mechanism for the Liberal Party. It's noticeable just how sick of it the MSM is, even CPG hacks are just rolling their eyes now. Katherine Murphy even dared to contrast defamation law with this "exercise" in free speech in the australian politics live podcast today. Gabrielle Chan was even over talking about it. Laura Tingle is now just grunting on Late Night Live and even those two old grumps Dennis Atkins and Malcolm Farr are frankly annoyed at the time-wasting.

Also, Joyce is a typical Nat, they're mostly like that, they've never changed. Some have the impulse control button, some don't.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So the knives are out for Bishop? There's a missing story here...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It has to have been the WA result that broke the consensus. Now they're fighting over the crumbs and the clever girl is in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

New Pope:

• Locked thread