Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Konomex posted:

One more thing. When driverless cars exist, and they will. What do we do with all the unemployed uber/taxi/truck/bus drivers?

Automation is absolutely a thing that needs to be worried about and addressed RE: labor rights, but driverless cars is absolutely the wrong part to be addressing because it's totally unfeasible to roll them out to any significant level in the near future, it would require a much more gradual shift. The only company really pushing for it to happen soon are Uber, who are currently falling apart for other reasons (but probably-stealing the tech for their driverless cars and then rushing their implementation probably didn't help). Automation is a much more real and immediate fear to to other industries.

Uber, for the record, are most likely pushing the driverless cars far more than they seem to be ready for because they see it as the most feasible way to become solvent. They've never really found a way to make money, especially for how fast and insistently they've grown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Periphery posted:

What are the chances the Greens recent strategy of focusing on a few specific seats starts to yield some serious results soon? From memory they saw some good gains in the seats they targeted but are they close to taking those seats?

Depends on where we're talking, but I know in the electorates immediately surrounding Melbourne it's gone really well. I know for a fact the official count had the Greens only 455 votes away from winning in Melbourne Ports, and that was generally considered the least likely of the four seats to flip.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Damnit. I trust the people who told me that to have their facts straight to some level, so I know 455 votes is a tangible figure that comes from somewhere. Maybe that's where the number looked to be before full counting was done? I know the seat took ages to count because the AEC's counting methods struggle with when there's more than two parties in strong contention.

It was still a really strong showing that could definitely lead to the seat flipping Green down the line.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Schlesische posted:

This had to do with the Greens member being ?publically anti-Zionist? or something.

The Greens did good, but Danby is gonna get another crack at holding his seat and he'll probably do the HTV card thing again. While he's in there and while the Greens run anti-Zionist candidates, the door is not slammed as shut for the Liberals in Melbourne Ports as it perhaps should be.

I was boots on the ground in Melbourne Ports through the month before the election (and am at this point friends with the candidate), so I'm speaking from that perspective. The whole thing with the supposed anti-Semitism/anti-Zionism was less her actual views and more underestimating and misjudging the actual fight there. There wasn't really a strategy in place for speaking to the Jewish population, which combined with the fact the Jewish community's the only part of Melbourne Ports that actually likes Danby to turn that side of the campaign into a total beat-up. The candidate was at-worst ambivalent about the Jewish community, but that lack of presence and strategy let them say whatever they goddamn wanted about her.

It's still early stages on how the next election will go here, but I know that the Greens here are already considering learning from that mistake a top priority. It's not even a given Danby will run next election (he'd definitely prefer to admit defeat than face potentially losing, especially to the Greens), but even if he doesn't that was a massive weakness that's going to need covering.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
This is a good choice, if a bad design, because I can entirely judge people on what their response is. If it's 'what's the point' or 'this is a waste of money', they need stuff like this to remind them that the world isn't theirs.

If it's 'the design looks really weird', but are otherwise approving, they have correct opinions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

norp posted:

Vote 1: Someone Else

How far do you think we could get if I changed my name to Someone Else and started Another Party?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
See, none of this is a problem if you don't drink. Easy solutions!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

NTRabbit posted:

So what substance are you using to get through the week in this corporate neo-fascist dystopian future then?

Extremely hardcore self-improvement. Also, video games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Yaaaaay!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

If Twitter is what it takes, then I'll accept it and fight.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Oh yes, please, make the campaign happen so you can get all that hate speech out into the open, then hold the vote in such a way that it's easy to argue the truth of the numbers anyway.

Frankly I'm surprised they didn't suggest this earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mr Chips posted:

Airtasker is weird. Most of the payments on offer are either way too low ("install hard wired electrical appliance for $40") or way to high ("$100 for 15 minutes' work changing the aspect ratio on some video")

Back when I was looking for data entry work in Adelaide to fill unemployment quotas, Airtasker obliterated any hope I had. Suddenly when it became a thing, a lot of the entry-level stuff dried up because of it. I tried to use it to do my actually-trained job of writing and editing, but pickings were slim there and actual money offered was too little.

The prices are entirely estimated by the person putting them up, so like NONE of them are properly priced for the work.

• Locked thread